Is there an explanation for this madness?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Re: Is there an explanation for this madness?

In Response to Re: Is there an explanation for this madness?:
    personally, having cooled off some and slept off last night's beer buzzed aggravation with this draft, i am kinda looking at it like the old adage "the truth generally lies somewhere in the middle". while i dont think this draft is utterly terrible, i also feel some of you homers that think it was some kinda slam dunk are delusional. if BB ever burned a first rounder on a one legged kicker with AIDS, you'd find a way to turn it into a "genius" pick. i like the offensive line picks (cannon and solder), while there were other needs this was also a pretty glaring need to due mankins and lights status. i am not against the rb picks, although i think they couldve done better with who they chose considering that stiff from LSU probably wouldnt have gotten picked for another 2 rounds. not thrilled with ras-i dowling right there to start off the 2nd day...yeah i know i know homers, he finally hit on a corner with devin mccourtey last year after a decade of wasted cornerback picks. for this reason everyone is supposed to just assume dowling is another mccourtey right? watch him pull a hamstring while autographing his first pats mini helmet. all in all, we know BB will coach up what he has to work with and they will continue to win plenty of games, enabling everyone to continue the whole "in bill we trust" mantra every draft day. but i cant help it if sometimes i get an inkling that the reason they win isnt because BB is some kinda draft wizard...it's because BB the coach is so damn good he still wins in spite of BB the GM.
    Posted by HOFFBURGER

"watch him pull a hamstring while autographing his first pats mini helmet. "

classic!
    yes quite injury prone. if hes healthy he is good and tall and hits well. not oour top 3 needs though.

" i get an inkling that the reason they win isnt because BB is some kinda draft wizard...it's because BB the coach is so damn good he still wins in spite of BB the GM"

damn! more wisdom in this thread.
    people who dont  need to defend whatever is done, AND WHO STILL GIVE A DARN ABOUT THIER TEAM.

THANK YOU!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: Is there an explanation for this madness? : Better a homer than a constant whiner
    Posted by glenr

its called sports. its about opinions and booing and applauding.
    what you and others here call "whining" is actual use of one's intellect, independent of group think.  the attacks of such written comments is a reflexive response  by accusations of "whining" or "you're stupid" or "you just dont know" is nothing but a conditioned response where you feel "your" team and thus, vicariously you, are being attacked and therefore need to be defended.
      the use of intellect to make observations and improve conditions is precisely because we care about "our" team. further, using one's mind is fun. try  evaluating ideas and contemplating what people say (instead of emotionally reflexively rejecting them). it might be fun and growthful.  and it beats feeling bad all the time "like i'm being attacked" and have to defend.
      when someone feels secure or ok with themself, there is no desire to attack. when one is safe (as opposed to the illusion of feeling unsafe), there is no desire or need to defend. and there we can meet considering one another's ideas without the impulse to war.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Yes, BB is a great coach.  14 - 2 amazing, 11 -5 with Cassell, amazing. It's the drafting that is very, very suspect.  Except for 2010 which was excellent, I get that.
    Posted by Benkarkis

We all want the Patriots to win and with Brady aging time is running short.

The point is --  if they had good drafts in 06 or 07, or even 08 another Super Bowl victory or two might have happened.  Yes, Brady injury in 08 was a killer. Understood.

Now it is slipping further away.

They need some studs.  Look at Green Bay, Pittsburgh, etc;  you need some stand outs.

yes my assesment too!

Yes, BB is a great coach.  14 - 2 amazing, 11 -5 with Cassell, amazing.

It's the drafting that is very, very suspect. 

Except for 2010 which was excellent, I get that.

yes. yes.yes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Is there an explanation for this madness? : Well said....The deepest draft for some time when it came to DL/DE/OLB and the Pats don't do anything til round 6. He has an old, injury prone D-line and can't add any FA's due to the lock out. You want to take Solder at 17, fine...then why not take Mark Ingram at 28 and the best available DL or OLB at 33. Why trade out to a team that will be drafting between 25-30 in 2012? If you didn't like Ingram, then take the DL/OLB at 28...The drafting of Ryan Mallett was ridiculous. The guy isn't going to want to sit. Brady is signed til 2014 and Hoyer is a soldi back up. This is the type of draft you would typically see from other teams and laugh.You have 2, 1's, 2 2's and a 2 3's and this is what you come away with...Incomprehensible...
    Posted by jimyritz

"You have 2, 1's, 2 2's and a 2 3's and this is what you come away with...Incomprehensible"

on point!

in a year when front 7 talent is everywhere i might add

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Boston fans....  Nothing's any good..... This draft like any other cannot be assessed until they make the roster and play. No we did not draft a stud OLB...  Oh well.  What should we do? Stop watching the PATS because some here project that they will not make the S.B.?  That seems to be negative consensus but I am certain that as the season comes on , the complainers will be here posting, game by game. The negativity is ludicrous.  Boston fans...  Nothing's any good.  Must be the winters.
    Posted by Dessalines

we are fans, and we dont lose our loyalty if we see a decision that maybe could have been made better.

its not negativity, its obserevation. its critique. the attacking or condemning
    of people who post is negativity.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmikejohnson. Show mrmikejohnson's posts

The crazy part is that everyone would think Belicheat was an idiot if he didn't get lucky by drafting Brady.   A lot of other teams have outdrafted the Cheatriots in the last decade. 

Brady and winning make otherwise average players seem better than they are.  Stick JP Losman or Jay Fiedler at QB an see what happens to everyone else.  Look at Belicheat's LONG record with Cleveland and you see who the guy really is without a Hall of Fame QB.  He's an average coach.  He's an average draft guy.  This was an average draft for the Cheatriots.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zig2K. Show Zig2K's posts

Bottom line the 3-4 defense does not work in the NFL. This is a passing league and you NEED to out pressure on the QB at ALL times, not just situational downs. BB is fast becoming a relic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zig2K. Show Zig2K's posts

Cheatriots?? Give it a rest dude. You're as played out as Chris Berman

The crazy part is that everyone would think Belicheat was an idiot if he didn't get lucky by drafting Brady.   A lot of other teams have outdrafted the Cheatriots in the last decade.  Brady and winning make otherwise average players seem better than they are.  Stick JP Losman or Jay Fiedler at QB an see what happens to everyone else.  Look at Belicheat's LONG record with Cleveland and you see who the guy really is without a Hall of Fame QB.  He's an average coach.  He's an average draft guy.  This was an average draft for the Cheatriots.
    Posted by mrmikejohnson

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lumpyeddie. Show lumpyeddie's posts

I love people in Boston, consistently low in the ratings when it comes to college sports, commenting on football draftees. It's comical.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dharrigan. Show dharrigan's posts

Struggling with this draft, must admit I liked the Solder pick, cannot understand the cornerback . The two running packs allow us to dump all the vets but where is D help and an offensive guard. Mallet is just trade bait for a future 1st round pick which will then be turned into several years of differnet 1st round pickes which will never be used..  I hope free agency is good to the Pats this year.
    Posted by tg19pats

I believe the Patriots will use their multiple first round picks rather than trade them only when a rookie salary cap is in place. NE has kept the team at a high calabre by keeping pay for any one player from being outrageous leaving more money for a quality supporting cast. As with all drafts, we'll find out the value of this one in two or three years when these guys know how to play NFL football.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

another evaluation:

All offseason I praised Bill Belichick for being a mastermind during the draft. He made me look stupid. He completely messed this draft up after having an opportunity to build an elite defense while still grabbing top-level offensive needs.

Solder is a fine prospect and one of the most athletic offensive tackles in the class. Dowling is a solid all-around defensive back who can play corner or safety. Vereen and Ridley were reaches. They will fill their roles, but they were reaches nonetheless.

I’m not sold on Mallett and would not have touched him. He is a strong arm and not much else.

I’m glad Cannon was drafted and he could turn into a steal—but he could also not even play.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjdkid100. Show mjdkid100's posts

what a bunch of whiners.
    1) You all know much less than Bill Belichick, no matter how much garbage you read online.
    2) Theres always a plan. People hating on the Mallett pick. Are you retarded? 1st round value in the 3rd round? Value.
    3) We need RB help and Oline help. We got both. I know some of you are too stupid to realize this but Morris and Taylor are garbage. Faulk is probably finished. We needed 2 more backs? Wanna bet Woodhead doesnt make it through a full year. Im guessing the backs Belichick drafted can, RUN< CATCH< <and PASS BLOCK. Not just look pretty like you losers want. You want Ingram whose knee is a timebomb and would be padi first round money. Look at the RBs we have now and there performance, you want to waste a 1st round pick on one. Stupid.
    4) Dowling is going to be good. He is bascially Mcourty with a different name. That seemed to workout.
    5)Why is everyone so high on Cameron Jordan, apparently no other team was either as he dropped farther than what those idiots McShay and Kiper said, who by the way know nothing about football.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I love when trolls say a draft pick was a "reach".  In 2009, Chung and Vollmer were "reaches" and Edelman had no chance of making the team. In 2010, McCourty was a "reach" as were Gronkowski and Spikes.  lol When you have Patriot material in a Round, you select the Patriot kind of player. Period. Using Kiper's mocks is pathetic.  Learn what BB looks for before pretending you have a clue.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

What is your definition of a troll? Anybody who doesn't agree with you? Anybody who doesn't think BB is an infallible GM?

Bottom line: 0 for the last 6 in winning a SB. 5-5 in tthe last 10 playoff games. Two straight one and outs. Made the playoffs once in 7 tries without Brady; made the playoffs 9 out of 10 times with him. Spin that.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrocktonMike. Show BrocktonMike's posts

In Response to Is there an explanation for this madness?:
    I would like for ANYONE to defend Belichick right now. Please do. It is simply idiotic what the Pats are doing. Haven't we learned anything from past years?  This draft is a complete joke, one of the worst any team has had. How can one explain this? We all knew what the need was. A DE, OLB, WR.  Everyone knew we desperately needed a DE and a OLB. Yet BB doesnt know that?! You have got to be kidding me if you think it's alright to go into a season with such a weak D line. 1st round, 17th pick. can understand going with an OT. Could've taken Cameron Jordan. 28th pick- why trade it away if you can get Hayward, and he went to Steelers. Steelers know a thing or two about great LB's. Why pick a CB with 33th pick? We have McCourty and Bodden. Pretty Solid. What are they thinking drafting a RB? I thought we were fine with Ellis and Woohead. If they really want  a RB, why not take the best one in the draft, Ingram?! The 3rd round was simply a disgrace. So now we need a 2nd running back. He will be the 4th best running back on this team. That can be had in 6th round. Also wasted a pick on Mallett. So now a QB was our need? 3rd round pick who wont play in the next 4 years. I dare any of you to defend this nonsnece. Anyone remember wasting a 3rd round pick on Kevin O'Connell. Unbelievable. Belichick has simply lost his mind. Either he is not thinking straight or he has lost it when it comes to defense.  Apparently BB thinks its not neccesary  to have a defense like Packers, Steelers.Washington just selelcted Hankerson. How can anyone argue that this wouldn't be a better pick than Mallett or the 2nd rb we took?   Hope the Pats have fun with the marshmallow defense next year and midget WR's.
    Posted by Spetznaz24

Mcorty, Hernandez, Gronkowsi.  Who knew?  Many I'd dare say the MAJORITY of us were complaing about last year's draft.  We end up with the best record in the league in what was to be a rebuilding year. 

We suffered key injuries to defenders, who should all be back this year. 

We also have a thing called free agency and trades.  I expect Bill will pull the tirigger and get us an edge pass rusher. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rdrury. Show rdrury's posts

Is there any way we can get this idiotic comment by Spetznaz24 off the front page of Boston.com/sports?  He doesnt know any more than anyone else outside the NFL.  BB knows what he is doing.  When someone hires Spetznaz24 to run a team, then we can listen to him.  Until then, he is just like any other drunk in a sports bar.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

Oh man this is getting ridiculous.  For all you morons that keep telling the "draft haters" that they cant comment because they dont know more than BB.. give it a rest!

No one on here claims to know more about football than Bill Freakin Belichick.  This however is a Patriots fan discussion board so we can say whatever the frek we want about the decisions made in the draft. 

1.  The draft sucked
    2.  Just because we drafted good palyers, doesnt mean the draft cant suck.
    3.  Regardless if you liked the picks or not, We could have had Solder, Carimi, or Castonzo with pick 28 GURANTEED!!!!!  That means we could have traded up for Fairley... Traded back for Cam Jordan... WHATEVER.
    4.  We possibly could have traded 33 for a 1st rounder in 2012.  Sense the saints 2012 first rounder is probably 25-32.. any other team we trade 33 to is going to be in the same range.
    5.  Ras I Dowling OR Aaron WIlliams (SAME GRADE)  Could have been traded up for or had at there designated Rnd 2 pick.
    6.  NOW WE ARE PAST THE ABSOLUTE MISTAKES AND ARE NOW INTO THE OPINIONS.
    7.  Why take Vereen and Ridley(reach)  over Mikel leshoure?  Leshoure was compared to Steven Jackson, and its been said he will become an everydown back.  He can catch, he can run.  Why draft 2 guys for 1 job?
    8.  I like the trade for an extra second next year.
    9.  I like Ryan Mallets possabilities.
    10. I like Marcus cannons possabilities.

My draft ends us with..
    Cam Jordan
    Anthony Castonzo  (maybe Carimi)
    1st round pick next year projected between 25-32
    Aaron Williams (cb same grade as Dowling, some thought was higher)
    or Ras I Dowling
    (Ridley)  We traded this pick to jump up for Dowling/Williams
    Oaklands Round 2 next year
    Ryan Mallet
    Marcus Cannon

Bill.. if your reading this thread, im available for higher.  I will work for tickets to the patriots games lol.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Ok Ender,

Cam Jorden would be a bust in this defence.

Castonzo would have been a bust in this Offense in comparison to Solder (who was coming off the board one or two picks after 17 from everything I've heard). Since he has already reached his max potential

Most thought Ras-I was the TALLER therefore BETTER CB.

Now why should we be happy with drafting probable busts and players that aren't as good as what the Pats did get?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rusco. Show rusco's posts

In Response to Is there an explanation for this madness?:
    I would like for ANYONE to defend Belichick right now. Please do. It is simply idiotic what the Pats are doing. Haven't we learned anything from past years?  This draft is a complete joke, one of the worst any team has had. How can one explain this? We all knew what the need was. A DE, OLB, WR.  Everyone knew we desperately needed a DE and a OLB. Yet BB doesnt know that?! You have got to be kidding me if you think it's alright to go into a season with such a weak D line. 1st round, 17th pick. can understand going with an OT. Could've taken Cameron Jordan. 28th pick- why trade it away if you can get Hayward, and he went to Steelers. Steelers know a thing or two about great LB's. Why pick a CB with 33th pick? We have McCourty and Bodden. Pretty Solid. What are they thinking drafting a RB? I thought we were fine with Ellis and Woohead. If they really want  a RB, why not take the best one in the draft, Ingram?! The 3rd round was simply a disgrace. So now we need a 2nd running back. He will be the 4th best running back on this team. That can be had in 6th round. Also wasted a pick on Mallett. So now a QB was our need? 3rd round pick who wont play in the next 4 years. I dare any of you to defend this nonsnece. Anyone remember wasting a 3rd round pick on Kevin O'Connell. Unbelievable. Belichick has simply lost his mind. Either he is not thinking straight or he has lost it when it comes to defense.  Apparently BB thinks its not neccesary  to have a defense like Packers, Steelers.Washington just selelcted Hankerson. How can anyone argue that this wouldn't be a better pick than Mallett or the 2nd rb we took?   Hope the Pats have fun with the marshmallow defense next year and midget WR's.
    Posted by Spetznaz24
    who are you to second guess ANY NFL coach? GO CLIMB BACK UNDER YOUR ROCK!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Are all the great prognasticators of the NFL draft here on this site? If so then tell me why you aren't working for some team in that capacity?.Never mind that question need not be answered. Look folks I read these blogs daily and most of the posters here seem too think if BB doesn't draft the player they like then he is a dunce,far from it according to the stats,BB has produced more NFL players in his drafts while with the Patriots than any other GM has in the entire NFL. The players he has cut get gobbled up like they are pieces of gold left unattended. So whine all you want about the present class of draftees but I'm betting BB knew more about his teams needs than any of you fans do.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I loved the vision Bill showed in this draft...
    Solder was an absolute must as our o-line neede youth size & power as well as the best possible candidate that has the most upside, to protect the best QB in the league
    trading 28 for a future 1st & getting a 2nd rounder was awesome...planning for future while taking care of present needs...
    Dowling is much needed youth & depth at CB that can be groomed for the future while we still have quality players to field...insurance against injuries at a critical position
    Vareen is a multi-facited back that can do it all & strenghthens one of our shallowest positions...Faulk/Taylor/Morris are all too old
    Mallett could be the future face of the franchise...1st round talent at a 3rd round price..very much like Brady in playing style so fits the existing system well & has time to be groomed, a true talent as a back up if Brady does get hurt..adds depth at most critical position of the game
    Ridley is that power back we needed for short yardage situations & a great back up if BJGE gets hurt or leaves next year can help wear down defenses by pounding the ball with fresh legs
    again got a second rounder for a 3rd & 4th for next year & we got 5th also this year...great deals for us
    Cannon is another steal, 2nd round talent at a position we are shallow in...risk yes but reward potential far outweighs the risk...mamoth man that will protect the most important guy on the field...
    Lee, crumplers replacement..killer blocker & can now be mentored by the best blocking TE in football...
    Carter...high motor & very quick burst,,could be a diamond in the rough...same with our 7th rounder...gunner special teams ace...
    Patriots are getting some key players back that didn't play at all or very mych last year, young guys are now a year wiser & experience...usually improve a lot in 2nd year....also, most importantly, if the lockout lasts well into August any D players at OLB would be basically worthless this year...the guys Bill got have shorter learning curves where they won't be as effected by the huge lack of team practices & coaching they desperatly need....VISIONARY...that's Bill....improved our team this year & put us in position for another solid draft next year...Madness, I think not....Visionary, I think yes....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Is there any way we can get this idiotic comment by Spetznaz24 off the front page of Boston.com/sports?  He doesnt know any more than anyone else outside the NFL.  BB knows what he is doing.  When someone hires Spetznaz24 to run a team, then we can listen to him.  Until then, he is just like any other drunk in a sports bar.
    Posted by rdrury

I've been wondering about this, myself.

Not that I think spazznetz is any more (or less) of an idiot than most of us --although he might be -- but in the middle of legitimate Celtics and Bruins playoff runs, our favorite site promotes this idiotic pink-hat draft response to a guy who has kept the Pats at the top of the league for 10 years.

It makes you ( well . . .     me  ) wonder what kind of of oblivious tardbot you have to be to qualify as a BDC copy editor.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krustyunderwear. Show Krustyunderwear's posts

Oh man this is getting ridiculous.  For all you morons that keep telling the "draft haters" that they cant comment because they dont know more than BB.. give it a rest! No one on here claims to know more about football than Bill Freakin Belichick.  This however is a Patriots fan discussion board so we can say whatever the frek we want about the decisions made in the draft.  1.  The draft sucked 2.  Just because we drafted good palyers, doesnt mean the draft cant suck. 3.  Regardless if you liked the picks or not, We could have had Solder, Carimi, or Castonzo with pick 28 GURANTEED!!!!!  That means we could have traded up for Fairley... Traded back for Cam Jordan... WHATEVER. 4.  We possibly could have traded 33 for a 1st rounder in 2012.  Sense the saints 2012 first rounder is probably 25-32.. any other team we trade 33 to is going to be in the same range. 5.  Ras I Dowling OR Aaron WIlliams (SAME GRADE)  Could have been traded up for or had at there designated Rnd 2 pick. 6.  NOW WE ARE PAST THE ABSOLUTE MISTAKES AND ARE NOW INTO THE OPINIONS. 7.  Why take Vereen and Ridley(reach)  over Mikel leshoure?  Leshoure was compared to Steven Jackson, and its been said he will become an everydown back.  He can catch, he can run.  Why draft 2 guys for 1 job? 8.  I like the trade for an extra second next year. 9.  I like Ryan Mallets possabilities. 10. I like Marcus cannons possabilities. My draft ends us with.. Cam Jordan Anthony Castonzo  (maybe Carimi) 1st round pick next year projected between 25-32 Aaron Williams (cb same grade as Dowling, some thought was higher) or Ras I Dowling (Ridley)  We traded this pick to jump up for Dowling/Williams Oaklands Round 2 next year Ryan Mallet Marcus Cannon Bill.. if your reading this thread, im available for higher.  I will work for tickets to the patriots games lol.
    Posted by Ender587
    Your are right,you know how many people thought invading Iraq was a good idea? Koolaid is cheap thats what keeps america going
    and going just wait till the blowback.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoCalBostFan. Show SoCalBostFan's posts

In Response to Re: Is there an explanation for this madness? : I've been wondering about this, myself. Not that I think spazznetz is any more (or less) of an idiot than most of us --although he might be -- but in the middle of legitimate Celtics and Bruins playoff runs, our favorite site promotes this idiotic pink-hat draft response to a guy who has kept the Pats at the top of the league for 10 years. It makes you ( well . . .     me  ) wonder what kind of of oblivious tardbot you have to be to qualify as a BDC copy editor.
    Posted by p-mike

Sections
Shortcuts