Is There any Update on Hightower?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Is There any Update on Hightower?

Given that he was being worked on on the sidelines and riding the bike I'd like to think it wasn't too serious, but has anyone seen anything?  If it wasn't for VW's monster hit on Donald Jones I think Hightower trucking CJ Spiller on the way to Fitz would have been my favorite play of the game.  I'd love to see him get some more chances to rush the passer as the season goes on.  He seems like a tough matchup being so huge, but he moves pretty well for a guy his size.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Is There any Update on Hightower?

I think it was just a hammy actually.  Like I said it didn't look serious, but I haven't seen anything.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Hightower is going to be a beast, this defense has a few very talented young players and IMO Hightower is going to be a perennial pro-bowler for years to come. Hope hes back for Sunday .

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

All three of those linebackers are just nasty. I can't think of a team that can match the Patriots LB's.  It should be about time to negotiate a new contract for Spikes. Spikes is a guy who makes the big play, interception, forced fumble, key hit for a loss. He's a player for sure.  players fear his hits. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I didn't realize Hightower only played like 7 plays.  White did well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Someone mentioned above how surprised they were to see White playing...at first I had no clue who he was...he looked a lot bigger than I remember him being and he played pretty well too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Hightower blitzing, Mayo tackling, and Spikes being nasty and causing fumbles. This is kinda how I envisioned this LB corps when the Pats grabbed Hightower. For me Jones is still a work and progress, but all signs point to him being a very good player (Pats just need a DE  to play opposite him.....call it Clay Mathews complex). Again I expect this D will be better in December than first 4 weeks of the season.

Also the Pitt LB I believe is Lamar Woodley (Ham and Lambert were much smaller than Hightower,though still very effective). Him or L.C. Greenwood? Mean Joe was a DT.

Sorry about the trip down Steelers memory lane, folks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Spikes will be getting a nice fine this week for one of his hits. Wait and see.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to patsfan76's comment:

Mayo= Sure Tackler, always around the ball. Will get you 200 tackles every year.

Spikes = Nasty, Tone Setting Linebacker that will clean his momma's clock if she was on the field. Not so good in coverage but will light up any RB in the league and take his lunch money.

Hightower = Has the size of that ol school LB from Pittsburgh( i forget his name) and he can tackle as well as blitz. He also hits hard but even with his 270 lb frame he would be 2nd to Spikes in this regard. I think HIghtower is gonna build his career by sacking QBs and harrasing the line of scrimmage.

Great Trio for Years to come!

Levon Kirkland.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I think he strained a hammy. Its a bummer if that happens everytime he blitzes. That was just what I was waiting for(couldnt understand why they blitzes Mayo last week)

Hightower is our best blitzing linebacker and he just ran over the back on the way to the qb! I dont like Mayo as a blitzer. At 270 lbs and the speed he has, he is gonna cause some havoc but they have to let him loose. He is still struggling with his run reads and getting to his spots and its def. not physical. Last week in Bmore he was very hesitant and didnt seem to trust his eyes so in the meanwhile, why not use him to blitz and wreak havoc until the run portion of his defense gets better?

All in All, he is needed. Hopes he gets back soon

I think they don't want to send him because it means we leave Spikes out to dry in coverage and that's never a good thing. I live Brandon, but he wouldn't be able to catch even me if I slapped his mother right in front of him.

His football IQ is off the charts, he's our most physical LB and he's the heart and sould of the defense, but he's a slow man.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:

How about Spikes? IS there a harder hitting MLB Inthis league other than maybe he and Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis?

Not comparing his overall game to those guys, but he's such an intimidating presence down the middle and is really emerging, IMO.

Mayo is underrated because he's not spectacular, but it appears each LB has their own skill sets which is great.

The send Spikes, but he comes up the middle. He seems to have mastered a spin move that would make Dwight Freeny say wow.

I agree though, Spikes is a tough hitter. I love our LBs.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Mayo= Sure Tackler, always around the ball. Will get you 200 tackles every year.

Spikes = Nasty, Tone Setting Linebacker that will clean his momma's clock if she was on the field. Not so good in coverage but will light up any RB in the league and take his lunch money.

Hightower = Has the size of that ol school LB from Pittsburgh( i forget his name) and he can tackle as well as blitz. He also hits hard but even with his 270 lb frame he would be 2nd to Spikes in this regard. I think HIghtower is gonna build his career by sacking QBs and harrasing the line of scrimmage.

Great Trio for Years to come!

Ummm.... that is a little bit of an overestimate... he has gotten 128-103-175-95 the past 4 years. Even if this year and the next 3-4 are his prime, and he avoids the minor injuries that hit him in 2 of his 4 years as a pro, it is a stretch to think he will get 200 tackles a year.

I love our linebackers as well, Mayo is certianly a tackling machine borderline pro-bowler, with Spikes as the hard-hitting run stufflign fumble causer (albeit it slow in coverage) and hopefully Hightower a mix of both, almost as fat in coverage as Mayo and as hard-hitting as Spikes but with a mix of size/speed that makes him a 6-7 sack guy a year, that would be sweet.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

Hightower blitzing, Mayo tackling, and Spikes being nasty and causing fumbles. This is kinda how I envisioned this LB corps when the Pats grabbed Hightower. For me Jones is still a work and progress, but all signs point to him being a very good player (Pats just need a DE  to play opposite him.....call it Clay Mathews complex). Again I expect this D will be better in December than first 4 weeks of the season.

Also the Pitt LB I believe is Lamar Woodley (Ham and Lambert were much smaller than Hightower,though still very effective). Him or L.C. Greenwood? Mean Joe was a DT.

Sorry about the trip down Steelers memory lane, folks.

One of Woodley/Matthews should have been a Pat... but the trade down of the Matthews pick indirectly led to Gronk so no tears for me there (although I think it was also Brace, Tate and 1-2 other busts that were snatached up).

Woodley woulda been such a better target for the '07 pick than Mayweather... Bill unconventionally sat tight and took a knucklhead at 24, when trading down and getting 2 picks in the 35-45 range like he'd done so many other times, could have given us Eric Weddle over Mayweather and either Woodley or David Harris to help the aging LB core that was gassed by SB 42.  

Ah well, woulda/shoulda's

Sections
Shortcuts