Is this defensive core worth waiting on?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Is this defensive core worth waiting on?

I'm browsing a lot of "they need to learn" comments that hand a lot leeway over to a crew that seems to not take playing (and losing) in the business-like fasion that the former championship players remarked on in seperate articles.  Collectively, these bits have me wondering: Is the core of this (specific) defense worth waiting on?

Of course, it's not finished, yet.  More players will most likely be added via the draft, etc...  However, I'm wondering if this core is worth waiting on.  After all, the rest of the team and their contracts pretty much stay in limbo, as they hope and wait on a defensive core that "needs to learn."  What if a lot of these guys don't pan out?  Many of them might likely bolt, after cutting their football teeth with the Pats to get paid, etc...

I'm not seeing the shut-down CB's that are tweaking their skills.  Of course, Mayo and Meriweather are certainly keepers.  However, how long will the offense wait on these guys, before they get frustrated..start bolting for teams that have a chance to win?

Personally, I'll be glad to see Thomas, his attitutde, and his contract leave the area.  Lots of fans seem to target Wilhite in their threads about bad picks.  Of course, Vince needs a new contract...no movement there, yet.  Honestly, I didn't see these guys being that far off the mark when the season began.  However, when the attitude stuff starts making the papers and team captains start showing up late, the overall performance(s) are questioned from points of view that were previously not considered.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBcheats. Show BBcheats's posts

Re: Is this defensive core worth waiting on?

No - you are correct sir.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I think your probably right about your assessment of most players.  I would guess that they won't wait on anybody, they will assess who are keepers (Mayo, Meriweather, Wilfork, TBC) and go after replacements for others.  Then those players will compete for a roster spot in training camp.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dshort3333. Show dshort3333's posts

I cant believe the crap being talked this week about the Patriots, their coach and whether or not we will ever be a Great Team again. Seriously? You cannot lose a Rodney Harrison, Richard Seymour, Tedy Bruschi and expect a bunch of first and second year players to assume the roles of leaders that their predecessors previously held. This team is obviously not focused enough and mature enough to overcome blown coverages and defensive breakdowns. They just dont have enough experience yet. What this team needs to do is start hitting people hard when they come over the middle and trust the play call and the coaches.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I'll repeat something you've probably heard elsewhere.  You are never as good as you think you are when you are winning, and never as bad as you think you are when you are losing.  

There is a fine line between winning and losing.  A few more plays in each game and we'd be 11-1.  A few less plays in each game and we'd be 5-7.  Moral to the story, yeah we have some issues, but we don't need to fix every issue out there to see a dramatic improvement.  We are not Detroit.  If we can get one or two things resolved before the playoffs we might do better than some think.  We just can't afford to let one or two more things break...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thetrinity12. Show thetrinity12's posts

It's actually not the defense that has lost us the close ones. I'm not sure the defense needs a massive overhaul. We just need a guy who can eat up blocks like Seymour did and a guy who can get around the edge set by our big uglies. 

If Brady doesn't hit Welker in the back of the foot against Denver, we win. The same story for the Miami game. We blew chances in the Jets game as well, and if you're going to support the 4th and 2 decision, well, you've got to make that too. The offense had shots and flubbed said shots. The only reckoning we need is on the side of the ball that no one is talking about. That's why I was angry after the Miami game, but who in the AFC can't we beat? The Bengals are the only steady team in a weird division. We've seen the Colts, and the Chargers have to play the Chefs and Raiders twice in a season. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Is this defensive core worth waiting on?:
    [QUOTE]It's actually not the defense that has lost us the close ones. I'm not sure the defense needs a massive overhaul. We just need a guy who can eat up blocks like Seymour did and a guy who can get around the edge set by our big uglies.  If Brady doesn't hit Welker in the back of the foot against Denver, we win. The same story for the Miami game. We blew chances in the Jets game as well, and if you're going to support the 4th and 2 decision, well, you've got to make that too. The offense had shots and flubbed said shots. The only reckoning we need is on the side of the ball that no one is talking about. That's why I was angry after the Miami game, but who in the AFC can't we beat? The Bengals are the only steady team in a weird division. We've seen the Colts, and the Chargers have to play the Chefs and Raiders twice in a season. 
    Posted by thetrinity12[/QUOTE]

You and several "glass is half full" fans correctly point that out.  There are also several "glass is half empty" fans that correctly point out a few less plays and we'd be 5-7.  Goes to the point I was making above, the line between winning and losing is fine.  We don't have to improve much to see more wins, and we don't have to degrade much to see more losses.

Sections
Shortcuts