Is this our most intimidating secondary since the 2003-04 team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

Is this our most intimidating secondary since the 2003-04 team?

The 2003 Pats secondary has always been one of my favorites, especially the hard hitting safties Rodney Harrison and Eugene Wilson. There's a clip they used to show on nfl adds of Eugene Wilson Pummeling a Colt trying to catch a pass near the sideline and Ty Law standing next to him his he makes the hit. They used to play it over and over. I never got tired of watching it.

McGowan's been an a huge pickup. He's a big hitter and has knack for making big plays with three forced fumbles. Meriweather is coming into his own and he's turning into the player we all envisioned he would be. I know many have wondered about Chung, but after last week, man I love his tenacity.

I would love to see some monster hits on the Colt's receivers this Sunday by this group. Make them pay for going over the middle.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Re: Is this our most intimidating secondary since the 2003-04 team?

your kidding right?it still has been 2003-04.the safties are good,but thats about it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Harrison was a beast. Wilson was just ok.

On balance they are very close, because both McGowan and Meriweather are better players than Wilson, but neither is quite as good as Rodney was during that stretch.

As far as intimidation. Maybe it is a touch more intimidating on some levels. But only because all three of the safeties here love to hit, whereas then Ne had on safety that REALLY loved to hit.

As far as intimidating, Bodden is just as good jamming as Ty Law was. He doesn't have the hawking instinct, but he is a sure tackler and a very good man-to-man cover guy.

Ty Poole doesn't intimidate anyone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

No, but at least it's way faster than the 2008 version.  Speed protects endzones, causes interceptions and gives opposing QBs more to think about.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

I don't think they intimidate anyone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I think they hit hard and they're fast, but I think the experience factor swings in favor of the 2003-2004 secondary.

Depth-wise, though, this year's secondary is shark teeth.  While I don't think anyone is as good as Law or Harrison, I think at least 6 or 7 players could come close.  Merriweather, McGowan, and Chung are all young, athletic, hard-hitting safeties (particularly McGowan, who forces a lot of fumbles); fourth-stringer James Sanders actually took Wilson's job once upon a time.  Bodden is alright and has good size for the corner position, Springs has seen it all, Wilhite was looking good before sickness got him (excellent cover man), Butler is learning quickly, and I haven't given up on Wheatley yet.  I noticed Arrington had a special teams tackle and think he might push Wheatley for space at the edge of the roster as a project player (who was reportedly signed to the active roster to keep another interested team from signing him away).

It could turn into something special, especially given that Chung and McGowan can both play in the box as pseudo-linebackers, giving Belichick and Pees infinite versatility with Merriweather becoming a deep-zone ball-hawk protecting over the top.

Between the three safeties and the newfound linebacker depth with a healthy Jerod Mayo and three versatile hybrid OLB/DE's (Thomas, Banta-Cain, and Burgess), this defense could implement some fun and exciting stuff.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

They are the best unit we've had since the SB years, I would still rather have Asante on one side and Bodden on the other. Butler would be number 2 on my list, he is the a good tackler, keeps up with his man, but shows his inexperience every once in a while.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

In Response to Re: Is this our most intimidating secondary since the 2003-04 team?:
    [QUOTE]I don't think they intimidate anyone.
    Posted by K-max[/QUOTE]

WHat else would we expect from a Dolts fan.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

So far, they seem more intimidating at home than on the road (London doesn't count as a road game).   The next 3 games will show a lot. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

They are very good, i don´t know about GREAT !!!

This game, and the one against de Saints will send a message to the entire league about this DB´s.

If they can stay away from the big play against Peyton, i´ll be happy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Citall. Show Citall's posts

In Response to Is this our most intimidating secondary since the 2003-04 team?:
    [QUOTE]The 2003 Pats secondary has always been one of my favorites, especially the hard hitting safties Rodney Harrison and Eugene Wilson. There's a clip they used to show on nfl adds of Eugene Wilson Pummeling a Colt trying to catch a pass near the sideline and Ty Law standing next to him his he makes the hit. They used to play it over and over. I never got tired of watching it. McGowan's been an a huge pickup. He's a big hitter and has knack for making big plays with three forced fumbles. Meriweather is coming into his own and he's turning into the player we all envisioned he would be. I know many have wondered about Chung, but after last week, man I love his tenacity. I would love to see some monster hits on the Colt's receivers this Sunday by this group. Make them pay for going over the middle.
    Posted by kman2004[/QUOTE]

Yes this is a heck of a secondary..BB has been working on it for about three years and it is finally here..the last two years or so the secondary was being held together by gawd knows what...this group is fast and furious

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

When they start causing alligator arms and drops by opposing WR's on a consistent basis then I think we could consider them intimidating. They are however better than they were last year which is encouraging. This week is the measuring stick. Let's see if they get aggressive and step up to a higher level.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

As it stands now, I doubt that Peyton or Drew Brees are fearfull of throwing into this secondary.  Maybe next year but not this week.  I mean, Chad Henne threw into this secondary.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Yeah they are the closest thing we have had to that dominating unit...

When you consider Darius Butler is already starting as a rookie, improving every week and eventually will be a shut down corner, Bodden is a stud at covering the bigger guys, Meriweather has been playing at an All Pro level, McGowan has become a missile in the backfield and a surprise starter and Chung has finally started to show signs where he may finally "get it."  

Most importantly these guys have shown up with the lack of consistant pass rush which would make thier lives substantially easier and there's still room for improvement all around, than you have to like what we've seen to date...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diesel12. Show Diesel12's posts

No way, Ty Law in his prime was probably the best in the business along with Champ Bailey. Rodney Harrison was also an animal as well. I like McGowan and Merriweather but not as much as Rodney, at least not yet. Bodden is ok but he couldn't hold a young Ty Law's cleats. Speaking of Ty Law, I know he is old and he is not what he used to be but would it have hurt to bring him into New England this year for nickel and dime packages and his veteran experience? He said that other than New England, Denver was the perfect fit for him giveing me the impression that he preferred to return here. I know I wouldn't have minded seeing him here for a final chance at a title with the Pats.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

In Response to Re: Is this our most intimidating secondary since the 2003-04 team?:
    In Response to Re: Is this our most intimidating secondary since the 2003-04 team? : WHat else would we expect from a Dolts fan.
    Posted by kman2004

So your calling me a Colt fan since I don't believe our secondary intimidates any Professional Football Team?

That's to funny.  I'm going to send coach Ryan after you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]No way, Ty Law in his prime was probably the best in the business along with Champ Bailey. Rodney Harrison was also an animal as well. I like McGowan and Merriweather but not as much as Rodney, at least not yet. Bodden is ok but he couldn't hold a young Ty Law's cleats.
    Posted by Diesel12[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying they are as good, this has yet to be proven or time tested, the question was are they the best since. 

Undoubtedly Brandon Meriweather is the best ball hawking free safety we've had since Willie "Big Play" Clay and he hits like a ton of bricks, as good or better than Eugene Wilson, who to be fair was simply a big corner playing out of position, ever did.

McGowan is never going to be Rodney Harrison, who as time passes and personal beef gets forgotten, people will realize was one of the best safties ever, put him up there right next to Ronnie Lott.  But Big Mac certainly hits bigger than his size allows and while he still needs to learn to drop back in the end zone (see last sundays game against the Phins) he is a guy who will give up his body which is worth his weight in gold and he has time to learn.  He'll never be a true strong safety but he will never be a point of weakness either...

Chung is the X factor, if he continues to progress than our safety position is better manned than before, perhaps moreso than any safety unit we've had in Bill's tenure and Sanders for all his faults also provides depth and special teams coverage.

As far as the corners go, I will admit whole heartedly that Ty Law was the best corner of his generation, of the decade to be sure...  but Butler to me looks to be an Asante Samuel clone, he'll never hit like Ty but he is as silky smooth in coverage.  He has a world of upside, gets better by the week and is already starting opposite Bodden as a rookie. 

Bodden provides a need for us that we hoped Shawn Springs would provide but Bodden has exceeded expectations.  He can cover larger receivers like the Chad Johnsons, TO's and the rest.  A big cover corner is just as important as a small guy to cover the slot and Bodden right now looks to be the best big cover guy in the league after Antonio Cromartie who frankly is having a down season...

We can judge this unit after the season ends, it would be premature to do so beforehand, but to be sure this unit doesn't have the benefit of the Willie McGinests, Chris Slades, Mike Vrabels, Tedy Bruschis, Henry Thomas's, Greg Spires, Bobby Hamilton's, Anthony Pleasants and Richard Seymours that the past units did upfront getting sacks and creating pressure.

Right now we have 15 sacks on the year, Mike Wright leads us with 4... that's not getting it done.  When the front seven can start creating more pressure we'll see how good this defensive backfield can be...  I really hope that time is coming soon?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Not even close! They are young and fast but Bill is still tweaking with the secondary. I do like Meriweather, McGown and Chung. I think Corner back is still a little weird. Are Whilhite and Butler the Pats starters for the next four seasons? Now more than ever you need a very confident almost cocky CB to compete in this league.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn123321. Show rpn123321's posts

In Response to Is this our most intimidating secondary since the 2003-04 team?:
    [QUOTE]The 2003 Pats secondary has always been one of my favorites, especially the hard hitting safties Rodney Harrison and Eugene Wilson. There's a clip they used to show on nfl adds of Eugene Wilson Pummeling a Colt trying to catch a pass near the sideline and Ty Law standing next to him his he makes the hit. They used to play it over and over. I never got tired of watching it. McGowan's been an a huge pickup. He's a big hitter and has knack for making big plays with three forced fumbles. Meriweather is coming into his own and he's turning into the player we all envisioned he would be. I know many have wondered about Chung, but after last week, man I love his tenacity. I would love to see some monster hits on the Colt's receivers this Sunday by this group. Make them pay for going over the middle.
    Posted by kman2004[/QUOTE]

The Pats in my opinion have never had a great secondary with Tom Brady being the QB. I think the secondary has always been the glaring weakness from year in and year out. This year, they definitely have better depth at the secondary position. I can't remember them getting beat deep yet this year. There currently ranked 2nd in pass defense in the NFL. My only down thing with them is that they seem to give the opponents a nice cushion in the corner. Just watch the last game and you'll know what I mean. 

Sections
Shortcuts