Is This Receiving Core as Good as '03 '04???>?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Is This Receiving Core as Good as '03 '04???>?

I think we are better.  We are absolutely better than our 2006 offense, and we nearly got the the SB in 2006.

Some folks just aren't able to see all of the young and promising players we have on the team.  None of them will be Moss, but you will see Moss replaced by the 3-4 other guys that will get thrown to each game now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Caraway, in fairness, the 2006 team still had a veteran defense with a DL that was much better.

As far as the WR/TE situation goes, it is certainly better than 2006. Even a little better than 03-04.

NE straight up didn't have talent like Hernandez or Welker then. While they lose a little at the edges, because they have nothing like Branch either. But in the end I think Welker/Branch wash, and Hernandez and Gronk are major improvements over anyone NE had at TE then. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ponyoto. Show ponyoto's posts

Definitely better , more talented and younger. A bit short on experience though but coaching and mentorship will help.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I like this receiving corps better than any Pats team except the 2007 team...and even then, this receiving corps (less Moss) is still pretty darn good. It's a different set of talent all the way around. Good slot depth (Welker/Edelman/Hernandez), good TE depth with Crump/Gronk/Hernandez, decent speed (although somewhat unproven) on the edge with Tate....we are missing the long threat guy unless Tate/Price develop into it....

BTW...Price has been inactive for the last 4 games...Does anyone know if he is ready to step in and at least contribute in some way?....

Also....we now have an open roster spot....Any guesses on who gets promoted or acquired to fill it?....What about Marques Murrell...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yes, this is one of the only rational threads. The rest is a peculiar melange of finger pointing, jubilation, and shame that is typically reserved for the day after a major election. 

Price is a huge question mark. I think holistically, this offense is about as good as the ones from 2003-4, they have all told slightly better WR/TEs, but they lack that RB who could do damage in the open field like Dillon could. 

The issue is that this defense does not have Richard Seymour or Willie McGinest applying pressure. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

I still think we just screwed our offense which was a key part of the team. If our D is going to let up tons of points, we need to put a Cr@p load of points on the other teams.

Moss opened so much for Welker and the guys underneath, taking a safety with him practically every time.

What now? People don't have to worry about Welker going deep and we have no legitimate deep threat. That is an extra defender in the box or doubling Welker/Hernandez.

Only good that I see is that Brady will be forced to go back to his "who ever is open will get the ball" Instead of forcing the ball to Randy when he clearly isn't open. I did see a decline in Moss but he still made jaw dropping and Eye popping plays. His biggest benefit to this team was his ability to remove two guys from the equation. We lack that now and have no clear replacement.

All in all, a downgrade and a mind boggling one at that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

ZB,

You seem to bring calm to these boards..but this also was a good post to start. 

I agree all around talent WR/TE, this team is as good if not better than 03/04 teams. The weakness seems like you said at the edge. Right now, the only guy on this roster that can semi-stretch the field is Tate and possibly Price. This is why I was asking about Price...wondering if the kid has made any progress in practice, or if anyone has heard anything on him. 

With this roster, I don't see many if any pass plays where Brady is airing it out 40-50 yards downfield. This looks to be a solidly built receiving group that can exploit the short to intermediate range and wear defenses down. I think it actually is a better compliment to our current defensive situation..meaning, take minutes off the clock, score points, elongate drives. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Welker-Branch may be a wash but when you factor in Edelman as the back up then this year win.  The TEs (Gronk, Crumpler, and Butler) win this year by a long shot.   Tate and Hernandez will now be on the wideouts and we will just have to wait and see but on potential they should be better than back then.  If either Price and Jenkins pan out as backups then they are definately ahead.  Woodhead has to prove himself over more games because we all know how much Kevin gave us out of the backfield but so far so good! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: Is This Receiving Core as Good as '03 '04???>?:
    [QUOTE]I think we are better.  We are absolutely better than our 2006 offense, and we nearly got the the SB in 2006. Some folks just aren't able to see all of the young and promising players we have on the team.  None of them will be Moss, but you will see Moss replaced by the 3-4 other guys that will get thrown to each game now.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

The 2006 team had one of the best defense the Pats had in the last decade so you have to factor that into the success of that season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]I still think we just screwed our offense which was a key part of the team. If our D is going to let up tons of points, we need to put a Cr@p load of points on the other teams. Moss opened so much for Welker and the guys underneath, taking a safety with him practically every time. What now? People don't have to worry about Welker going deep and we have no legitimate deep threat. That is an extra defender in the box or doubling Welker/Hernandez. Only good that I see is that Brady will be forced to go back to his "who ever is open will get the ball" Instead of forcing the ball to Randy when he clearly isn't open. I did see a decline in Moss but he still made jaw dropping and Eye popping plays. His biggest benefit to this team was his ability to remove two guys from the equation. We lack that now and have no clear replacement. All in all, a downgrade and a mind boggling one at that.
    Posted by GadisRKO[/QUOTE]

This myth has grown a life of its own here in NE.

Suggest people read this article. http://bit.ly/a7rvFP

Specifically the section where it says...

"There’s a lot of talk about the coverage Moss draws. “Doubled every play,” etc. But the bottom line is that he doesn’t draw any more or any less coverage than most receivers. Going deep against a Cover 2 or 4, you are going to get covered by two players. That’s not unique to Moss, that’s just how the coverage works."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from memery26. Show memery26's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is This Receiving Core as Good as '03 '04??? />? : This myth has grown a life of its own here in NE. Suggest people read this article. http://bit.ly/a7rvFP Specifically the section where it says... " There’s a lot of talk about the coverage Moss draws. “Doubled every play,” etc. But the bottom line is that he doesn’t draw any more or any less coverage than most receivers. Going deep against a Cover 2 or 4, you are going to get covered by two players. That’s not unique to Moss, that’s just how the coverage works."
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

That article is really excellent.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is This Receiving Core as Good as '03 '04??? />? : This myth has grown a life of its own here in NE. Suggest people read this article. http://bit.ly/a7rvFP Specifically the section where it says... " There’s a lot of talk about the coverage Moss draws. “Doubled every play,” etc. But the bottom line is that he doesn’t draw any more or any less coverage than most receivers. Going deep against a Cover 2 or 4, you are going to get covered by two players. That’s not unique to Moss, that’s just how the coverage works."

BINGO!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

If this unit has the skills to compete, and I think they do, the beauty here is that:

Gronk/Hernandez/Tate/Price/Woodhead/BJGE/Edelman

...are all young guys who are developing still and will be an even better group next year and the year after. It makes sense to start building the chemistry now so that we may be the better for it down the road.

I am not saying we have to stand pat with these guys, we have the picks and a strong FA year to retool if needed, but either way when looking past this years development phase it's promising.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

[QUOTE]If this unit has the skills to compete, and I think they do, the beauty here is that: Gronk/Hernandez/Tate/Price/Woodhead/BJGE/Edelman ...are all young guys who are developing still and will be an even better group next year and the year after. It makes sense to start building the chemistry now so that we may be the better for it down the road. I am not saying we have to stand pat with these guys, we have the picks and a strong FA year to retool if needed, but either way when looking past this years development phase it's promising.
    Posted by Asher77[/QUOTE]

Curious how people keep sticking in Edelman and Price.  Edelman has shown flashes, but he is big time injury prone.  And Price?  he is healthy and has been a scratch all 4 weeks.  Are these really the guys that are going to help us forget about Moss?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

No one person will replace Moss, they all will.  Brady can return to spreading the ball to the open guy.  In the long run, a much better O than being concerned with Moss's ego and if he got enough touches.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Not putting a ton of stock in Edelman, but he provides good depth and when healthy, is reliable (other than that 2 pt. conversion play last week in Miami)...

Price is the great unknown. And, I don't think we are counting on him at all to make significant contributions this year, but perhaps if Tate is "promoted" to Randy's spot, Price steps into Tate's spot and we move on. Not as lethal in the short run, but we'll just have to see.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is This Receiving Core as Good as '03 '04??? />? : Curious how people keep sticking in Edelman and Price.  Edelman has shown flashes, but he is big time injury prone.  And Price?  he is healthy and has been a scratch all 4 weeks.  Are these really the guys that are going to help us forget about Moss?
    Posted by Patsman2[/QUOTE]

Price being a scratch is not an indication on his potential, he was behind Moss and Tate and therefore no reason to activate him. All we know is he was drafted 3rd round and showed a little speed in preseason. This is also not a reason to leave him off a list of potential players for next year and into the future, for this season he is obviously last of the group who may have an impact.

Edelman has proved he can be productive filling a slot role. We have Welker there but depth is key and again he is still developing as a player. I do not consider him "Injury Prone", he broke an arm and came back very fast from it. As to the sprained ankle, these are very common for all players and I am sure he would have been out there faster if we had a need for him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

I strayed from the point of this thread.

Branch/Givens/Troy were good but system players to some degree. They got it done in the clutch and had Brady's trust. They were where they should be on every play.

That above group are miles ahead of what we have now when it is looked at from the level of week to week consistency, dependability.

But what we have now will develop week to week and this may be a hole nother story by week 16.

Pure talent and potential to develop, I give the nod to what we have today. These TE's could be stars. Also add in a 1st Rd outside Rec talent ( Jackson ect.. or in the draft ) and in 2011 we are rolling.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is This Receiving Core as Good as '03 '04??? />? : The 2006 team had one of the best defense the Pats had in the last decade so you have to factor that into the success of that season.

Then I guess the irony is that the D is the primary reason they didn't get to the SB that year.  Up by 21 points and...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from l52094. Show l52094's posts

The past receiving core with Branch and Brown had good YAC ability.  From what I have seen this season, I think the receivers on the Pats now also good YAC ability.  Tate could be explosive with YAC and we have already seen that Hernandez has good YAC.  The bomb to Moss is a higher risk play.  I prefer Brady throw a short to mid-range pass and let the receivers run with the ball after the catch.  They may end up breaking a few.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Tate getting more opportunities is probably the best thing about this trade. He's going to cause some nightmares, but he won't replace Moss as a deep threat. That being said, Moss was good but not great over the last year and a half. He's dropped many deep balls instead of being a vacuum like he was in 07. Still a very good player, but I think they find a way to be better without him. 

This is feeling like the pats of old! I like it. If Reche Caldwell were their #1 I would be worried, but there's real talent there with their receiving corps. It'll be exciting to watch. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

We're clearly better at tight end/slot receiver and clearly worse at outside receiver and running back.  Though the running game doesn't look bad.

But seriously, who is going to line up at split end if Tate lines up at flanker?  How good can the offense be with no experience at split end and flanker?  Obviously Brady is the best and Welker/Hernandez/Edelman/Woodhead should eat up the middle of the defense but we are very thin outside the numbers.  Maybe Tate and Price will tear it up but right now we are weak outside.