Is this the best off-season yet for the Patriots?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dillon08. Show Dillon08's posts

Is this the best off-season yet for the Patriots?

-Fresh blood (linebackers, cornerbacks, quarterbacks)

--plus--

-Veterans  = STRONG TEAM

In my opinion, Belichick has done everything right during this off-season.  He has such a great eye for excellent talent and has filled every hole with a compatible replacement....GO PATRIOTS!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: Is this the best off-season yet for the Patriots?

Certainly the busiest offseason in memory.  What is that, 11 veterans signed, some for draft choices?  BB got 12 more draft choices including 4 second rounders (with 3 more second rounders slotted for next year)?  Most teams only get 7 draft picks and have to ad-lib with UFAs and JAGs.

On the down side, none of the 11 vets are huge names, just pretty good.  Most of them carry Belichick's favorite baggage: unloved, disgruntled, pretty good but on losing teams like the Detroit Lions or like Oakland, and they used to be damaged goods but now they're healthy again, at least BB hopes.  It's sort of like R2D2 early on in the first Star Wars movie, who gets picked after the first-selected robot breaks down right out of the box.  If any of these maybe-damaged vets break down during training camp they can be cheaply ejected. 

BB is a careful shopper, looking for value all the way through the roster.  He knows that the 53rd guy on the team might be the one that wins the championship. 

I will say that the four second rounders look like winners.  Big Brace at #40 is jumping into the starting DL rotation in September, just like last year's #10 Mayo started, who after 16 months still looks like a find.  Vollmer is turning into a find -- I suspect he doesn't start immediately but he threatens to have Kaczur's job.  Chung is as advertised, not a full-timer just yet but a great run-subpackage safety already.  Butler is as advertised, top speed, can play nickel for now but may challenge soon.  Brandon Tate was a great gamble.

Remember that BB and the war room have manufactured several of these second rounders out of nothing.  Ron Brace started as an end-of-third-round pick, #91, that got promoted to #40 after three trades.  The unending series of draft trades made this a championship offseason. 

The Patriots seem to get everything they want and everybody else gets less.  Parity.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Yeah, Burgess, Bodden, Springs and Taylor are the best players we've ever acquired in free agency.  It's not like there was some miraculous off-season two years ago where we acquired Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Adalius Thomas and Dante Stallworth ...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Say what you will about the New England Patriots,but don't say their front office slept during the off season,in fact the season had barely ended with a Super Bowl victory for the Steelers that had to gaul BB because he immediately upon the opening of the FA signing period, was all over the better players available Springs,Taylor,Bodden,Baker,trading with the Eagles for Lewis,hell he even played it right in trading Cassel to KC and taking a lowly 2nd round draft pick in return, the many moves between then and the latest move in acquiring Burgess to even looking at guys like Carter and Holiday to fill out an already stout d-line shows how serious the Patriots take winning! I have lived through the Gino Cappaletti's and Babe Parilli's,the Steve Grogans and the Hog Hannahs I've seen very good teams and of course the absolute worst teams built by the various ownerships of the N.E.Patriots,but this ownership has been the most aggressive in its pursuit of excellence,and this off season clearly emphasizes the level of commitments they have in attaining the Championship level they seek.I would rate this off season as the best they've ever had.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

In Response to Re: Is this the best off-season yet for the Patriots?:
    Yeah, Burgess, Bodden, Springs and Taylor are the best players we've ever acquired in free agency.  It's not like there was some miraculous off-season two years ago where we acquired Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Adalius Thomas and Dante Stallworth ...
    Posted by themightypatriots

Good point but this thread was for the best offseason which includes the draft.  In 2007 the draft only produced Meriweather where this draft could end up with a large number of future starters (all the 2nd rounders are likely to end up starters, plus high expectations for the OL, and great potential in Tate, Edelman , Nunn, and Mckenzie).  For this being a very low cost offseason, we have aquired a lot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I think it's way too early to judge any of these guys yet. Talk about guys like Vollmer or Brace starting this season is pure speculation! I agree they got some good prospects, but that's all they are at this point. As far as FAs go, I think they did well. No huge names (and the huge contracts that go with them), but all proven vets who can play. The secondary desperately needed some new blood, and both Bodden and Springs have shown they can play. Burgess is another guy I like, we've seen before how well some players react to getting out of Oakland! And Fred Taylor is a quality back, who should be productive in a system with multiple backs like we have here. The second round picks could well be solid starters at some point. I like both Butler and Chung, who display the smarts and drive to become staples in the defense of the future. They got depth on both sides of the line, and that is always a good thing. We can argue that picking up Moss and Welker two years ago was a huge offseason, but this may well prove to be just as good. I can't wait to see these guys in preseason, when they'll actually be up against real competition. They seemed to fill a lot of holes, and that is always a good thing. With both Mayo and Merriweather showing good improvement since they've joined, I'm hoping to see a much better defense this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

In Response to Re: Is this the best off-season yet for the Patriots?:
    I think it's way too early to judge any of these guys yet. Talk about guys like Vollmer or Brace starting this season is pure speculation! I agree they got some good prospects, but that's all they are at this point. As far as FAs go, I think they did well. No huge names (and the huge contracts that go with them), but all proven vets who can play. The secondary desperately needed some new blood, and both Bodden and Springs have shown they can play. Burgess is another guy I like, we've seen before how well some players react to getting out of Oakland! And Fred Taylor is a quality back, who should be productive in a system with multiple backs like we have here. The second round picks could well be solid starters at some point. I like both Butler and Chung, who display the smarts and drive to become staples in the defense of the future. They got depth on both sides of the line, and that is always a good thing. We can argue that picking up Moss and Welker two years ago was a huge offseason, but this may well prove to be just as good. I can't wait to see these guys in preseason, when they'll actually be up against real competition. They seemed to fill a lot of holes, and that is always a good thing. With both Mayo and Merriweather showing good improvement since they've joined, I'm hoping to see a much better defense this year.
    Posted by bubthegrub2

Bub, one addition is WR Nunn. In my opinion this guy is a keeper. Ever since the first day of practice all that I've heard about the receivers is, the improable catches that this guy makes. Considering that all of these wanta be's are capable of producing on the field as they have been taught the Pat's may be down grading or releasing some older veterans and fan favorites.

Sections
Shortcuts