Is This The Best Patriots Roster On Papers In Years?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Is This The Best Patriots Roster On Papers In Years?

We have the perfect combo of young talent Hernandez, McCourty, Chung, etc... and veteran experience Light, Brady, Chad Johnson.    Plus this is a team that's been together for an entire season basically.   Could be a great team.

QB - Tom Brady is in his prime.  Hoyer and Mallett seem like quality depth. 

RB - Green-Ellis and Woodhead are coming off break-out seasons and are young.  We've got Faulk and Morris, solid veterans.  And we have high draft picks Ridley and Vereen.  

OL - Our entire offensive line is returning and hopefully injuries, will start the season together.  Plus Solder gives us excellent tackle depth.

TE - Hernandez and Gronkowski - enough said. 

WR - Chad Johnson, Deion Branch, Wes Welker, Eldeman, Brandon Tate, Taylor Price.  If Price and Tate develop, this could be a special unit. 

Defensive Line - Vince Wilfork, Albert Hayneworth, Mike Wright, Ron Brace.  Not our deepest O-line, but if Wilfork and Haynesworth play up to potential could be incredible. 

Linebacker - Mayo, Spikes, Cunningham.  It seems we need another playmaker, but overall, a young talented unit. 

Secondary - McCourty, Bodden, Dowling, Meriweather, Chung, Sanders.  We've got depth and youth.  

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Re: Is This The Best Patriots Roster On Papers In Years?

The key for this team is staying healthy, something the Patriots have always struggled with and for the younger guys to step up and continue to get great. 

My X factor for this offense is Tate.  He has star WR potential and although he won't put up huge numbers with Johnson, Branch, Hernandez, Gronkowski, and Welker, here.  I could easily see him playing the role Dante Stallworth did in 2007.  Impact player, get the ball to him 3-5 times a game on offense, whether it's on a reverse, going deep, or a quick WR screen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

It's one of the deepest and most complete.  Even the Super Bowl years were top-heavy where Belichick leaned on his key guys a lot (and they picked up the slack when guys got hurt - it wasn't the replacements... McGinnest and Law said it in interviews that when guys got hurt Belichick went to his mainstays and asked them how they could take it up another level)

This roster, though, has good quality almost the entire way through.  2007 looked good on paper, but that Cowboys game midseason should have been a good precursor to how old the defense was.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prob2236. Show prob2236's posts

Yes tt certaintly looks good ON PAPER, but there are a lot of questions still.  Where will the pass rush com from for example.  Perhaps Haynesworth will help guys like cunningham develop there pass rush game a little quicker.  Forget about the jets CB combo, im also excited to see our CB combo.  Remember Bodden was our top CB two years ago before his season ended early last year.  Imagine the potential of him and Mccourty.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think that when we were able to roll out 3 first round picks on our D line (Seymore, Warren, Wilfork)...to go with McGinnest, Bruschi, Vrabel, Phiefer, Harrison, Law...we were a tad bit better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

DEPTH

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

As long as this team stays healthy, the sky's the limit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

To answer your question, no.

There remain many question marks on D.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

I think this is the strongest line up at the start of the season in a long time. 

I still would like one or two more additions - on the Defensive line / OLB positions..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Is This The Best Patriots Roster On Papers In Years?:
    [QUOTE]To answer your question, no. There remain many question marks on D.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

C'mon babe.... they only question mark is OLB, and even yet I am not too concerned as long as the Dline plays big the rest is no problem... as another poster said.  There is plenty of depth.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Our offense is going to be able to create mismatches like crazy.  

First you got Chad Johnson, a very good number one WR, a guy who can go deep or pick up the first down.  Then you have Welker, guy just gets open and makes catches.   Add in the beast Gronkowski, who I believe will be unstoppable.  Then you have a healthy Hernandez, who all he did was create mismatches last season.   

Now you have the choice for that fifth option to be tiny fast Danny Woodhead, or Kevin Faulk, or Deion Branch, or Eldeman, or Brandon Tate, or maybe even speedy rookie Vereen.   One of those guys will get open and Brady will find the open spot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]Our offense is going to be able to create mismatches like crazy.   First you got Chad Johnson, a very good number one WR, a guy who can go deep or pick up the first down.  Then you have Welker, guy just gets open and makes catches.   Add in the beast Gronkowski, who I believe will be unstoppable.  Then you have a healthy Hernandez, who all he did was create mismatches last season.    Now you have the choice for that fifth option to be tiny fast Danny Woodhead, or Kevin Faulk, or Deion Branch, or Eldeman, or Brandon Tate, or maybe even speedy rookie Vereen.   One of those guys will get open and Brady will find the open spot.
    Posted by DuncanOrange[/QUOTE]

brady's #1 WR is the open one

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuckItOnce. Show TuckItOnce's posts

Pressuring the QB is parmount in the NFL.  Do you honestly think the group we've assembled to pressure the QB is the best we've had in years??  I certainly dont. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is This The Best Patriots Roster On Papers In Years? : C'mon babe.... they only question mark is OLB, and even yet I am not too concerned as long as the Dline plays big the rest is no problem... as another poster said.  There is plenty of depth.   
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

Sorry Getzo, but 3rd down pass defense last year was a horror show of epic proportions. I'm not ready to say we are out of those woods yet. No team is going to win a superbowl with defense like that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is This The Best Patriots Roster On Papers In Years? : Sorry Getzo, but 3rd down pass defense last year was a horror show of epic proportions. I'm not ready to say we are out of those woods yet. No team is going to win a superbowl with defense like that.

Never thought I would agree with you Babe....But, the 3rd down defense was horrible last year!

Okay...maybe I am confused......I am looking at ESPN stats....Not sure about the stats

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is This The Best Patriots Roster On Papers In Years? : Never thought I would agree with you Babe....But, the 3rd down defense was horrible last year!
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

Hopefully that's where Haynesworth and the return of Bodden will help the most. I agree with most of these guys though. They have loads of potential, and I'm really excited about this season, but until they've actually done it (most of our defensive players are still looking for their first playoff win)....it's hard to compare them to any of the championship teams, or the '07 team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

If you answered yes to this question, you should be ashamed of yourself lol.. Your talking about a defense that ranked 30th in yards allowed last year.  The only additions we will have added to improve that is Alberto (who is a big time question mark on how long he stays motivated) and Leigh Bodden is back from injury, and we dont know how he is going to look either.

Back when we were winning superbowls and being called a dynasty, we had a defense that didnt give an inch in the redzone, and an offense that could tear you to pieces.  You be careful about counting those chickens before they hatch, even if its only on paper.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is This The Best Patriots Roster On Papers In Years? : brady's #1 WR is the open one
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

Cliches don't draw extra defenders in coverage

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is This The Best Patriots Roster On Papers In Years? : Sorry Getzo, but 3rd down pass defense last year was a horror show of epic proportions. I'm not ready to say we are out of those woods yet. No team is going to win a superbowl with defense like that.

ahahaha.. I know I know... I'm on the wagon and I suggest you come for a ride as I really think the D will be glued together this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

The inexperience is the killer. Great talent on paper. 

They have gotten more talent every year and it looks like they have filled the majority of holes. You couldn't say that the past couple of years. It's a team that you would think could make a run for the big game, but they have yet to prove they can handle playoff football. 

The start of the season is going to be ugly. It will be ugly for a lot of teams but it might be a little more ugly for the Pats who are relying on younger players.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is This The Best Patriots Roster On Papers In Years? : Never thought I would agree with you Babe....But, the 3rd down defense was horrible last year! Okay...maybe I am confused......I am looking at ESPN stats....Not sure about the stats
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

CHFF just did a piece on it.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3798_Belichick%27s_Home_for_Disgruntled_Little_Wanderers.html

My favorite snipet from that.....

"It’s a statistical miracle, and a testament to the greatness of Tom Brady, that the Patriots managed the best record in the NFL with one of the worst third-down defenses in modern memory."

Byrne is an exceedingly wise man.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Don't think we'll ever have a roster as talented as 2007.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I'd feel a whole lot better once we got the rest of our rookies signed and into camp where they need to be getting up to speed ASAP.

I'd also like to see a solid OLB brought in.  We are very shallow in that area right now.

Sections
Shortcuts