Is this the End of Welker as We Know Him?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

At this point, I could care less about the 2009 playoffs. I believe the Pats simply have too many holes. Their offensive coordinator is horrible, they can't rush the passer, they can't hold leads, and they don't have the leadership on D that will put them over the top. That was before Welker goes down.

My concern is now for the future. I believe that all of the above things can/will be fixed for 2010. Weis could be back. They could draft pass rushers. Mayo/Merriweather/Sanders/Guyton/Bodden/Butler/Chung will have a full year of experience playing as a unit and maybe they evolve into a strong cohesive unit like the old days (and Cancer Thomas will be gone).

But will Welker be back to normal? Sure, Brady got back quickly, but he is a QB. Welker lives on those cuts. When will he be able to make those again, if at all? 

This is just plain awful.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Re: Is this the End of Welker as We Know Him?

they will definitely need to address the receiver spot in the off season.not for just welkers situation,but moss will be hanging it up soon.the playoffs will be a true meter on edelman and aiken.to determine on how bad they need a receiver or more then one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

Why is everyone so quick to write off Welker? Ronnie Brown blew out his knee and came back. Why is RB so different than WR?  Both have to make cuts.

The sad part will be that it will indeed take time, and he probably won't be right until near the end of next season. But to say his career is over is way premature.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

If anyone can make it back, Welker can.  But probably not until late next year if lucky, more likely 2011.  By then maybe Moss is done, Tate is developed or a whole new crop is here.  But that is the NFL, things change very quickly, 2 years is an eternity.  Perhaps, a better statement, is this the end of the currently constituted Patriots offense as we know it? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

8-12 Months would be around this time next year.so depending on how well edelman and aiken does.you have to address the receiver situation until then,but like caeser stated.welker un-like a qb lives on constant running,and cutting,and takeing big hits.can his legs be the same?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wasecl. Show wasecl's posts

Good post. I was thinking the exact same thing that he may be done for good or just no where near the player he was. How does it work for next year if he can't come back. Does his salary count against them if they put him on IR before the start of the season?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

It is not as bad for a deep threat receiver who is running laterally. But with Welker making his dough on those cuts, I am very concerned for the guy. 

A similar comparison here may be Deion Branch. He tore up his knee in the Divisional round back in 2007. It took him half a year to get back and he is probably 70% of what he was before. 

Even a 70% Welker is good though. But I think the Pats are going to have to get some receiver help in the offseason. Maybe, the aforementioned Branch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I'm at odds as I ponder the fact that Wes Welker is a true Ironman, As I weigh it with the notion that since most human beings after a year are able to a least stand up from a wheelchair and even at times walk too- after suffering not 1, but at least 2 tears (ACL/MCL) in a completely destroyed knee, THEN an NFL slot-wide receiver who makes his complete and total living on speed, making unrealistic juke moves, unworldy quick cuts, All-the-while maintaining huge production numbers and taking car hits from 6'5 280lb monsters on artificial turf, should be just fine...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

I am cocnerned certainly, but I am no doctor (nor do I play one on TV...couldn't resist that).  One of the pundits on TV last night said they have significantly improved the ACL surgery technique.  ( I actually know somebody I play soccer with who performs this surgery...so I'll ask when we start up again.)

That said, Rodney came back, McGahee comes to mind.

Welker gets by on as much as guile as athletic ability.  He may not catch 125 passes again, but then again, even  if healthy, I don't think he could, looking at the natural progression for NFLer's, he would probably start to decline anyway like Troy Brown.  If he can come back and be a contributor and catch 40-60 passes, who would complain?  We rely too much on him anyway...modern day Ben Coates.  No disrespect to Wes.......great player.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

It was a noncontact injury...no one knows if they are torn. Eric Allen said he had the same injury(noncontact) and Welker should be good in 6 months. Not good enough to play but to begin training...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Why would you think he is out? He will heal (as many other lesser players have) and he will be back.. What makes Wes great is he complete abandon as he runs..no fear.
    He will not lose that

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtfmaroney. Show wtfmaroney's posts

wes is a tought guy, dont get me wrong it looked pretty tragic, but lets just see how it plays out and stoping expecting he worse.. the pats r due for some luck, and who knows we have really good back ups, this edleman kid is great! and tate he is gunna be even better once he is completly healthy i think our staff was just looking for the 1st chance to place him on IR to completly heal him, and who knows we mite get golden tate and hes a beast to, guys dont worry all is not lost

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"At this point, I could care less about the 2009 playoffs."

Good, we could use less bandwagon fans who don't want to root for the team unless it is some lucky collection of all stars. But since you asked, the answer to your question is: nobody freakin' knows. Give it time. Meanwhile, I'll be rooting for this year's team until their last down! Just remember if they do improbably go far, you'll be jumping back on the back of the bandwagon with the other hangers' on and fair weather fans.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Greg Camarillo, who plays the same position but is less than half the player Welker is, tore his ACL against us last year in late November and played in every game this season, catching 50 passes.

Welker wasn't recruited out of high school.  He was too small.  All he did was set records at Texas Tech...then he wasn't drafted out of college...he was too small and slow...all he's done is catch 346 passes in the last 3 seasons. Now, he's injured, and people will question whether he can make it back.

Welker has proven people wrong over and over and over again in his career, and I have no doubt that he'll do it again.  He has more heart than most NFL teams combined.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Trollspanker:

I ain't no bandwagon fan. Just not delusional. I have seen NO EVIDENCE this year that the Pats can win a Super Bowl. NONE. Will I still pull for them? Yes. Could it happen? Yes, just not likely. But does it make me a bandwagon fan that I am more concerned for the future of one of our best players and the long term interests of a team than the very slim chance of a Super Bowl season?

Don't think so.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Welker gets by on as much guile as athletic ability...".

Schwank and ALL:

schwank, that's actually an absolutely accurate and astute take on Welker...  In fact, it instantly reminded me of some obscure New Times article I read awhile back on what a mastermind Belichick is at NFL Coaching (NY Times & N.E. love?-gasp).  Here's one small excerpt:

* Teach players that if the defense is giving you anything, take as much of it as you can. Wes Welker is a master at this when he runs crossing routes. Most receivers will run that route at the same depth no matter how deep the linebackers drop. Welker will base his route depth on where the linebackers are. If they go seven yards off the line of scrimmage, he’ll run it four to five yards downfield. If they drop to ten yards back, he’ll run that same route at a seven to eight yard depth. It is one of the reasons that Randy Moss and Welker ranked #1 and #3 in short pass YPA last year.

In the same (or similiar) article, BB talks about how there's so very few Players on the field of play that see anything and even everything, and are so finely aware of NOT only what You're own players will be doing on a play, but what the defenders will be doing too, and even moreso, What COULD potentially happen...Welker and Brady being two of such players.  I think he gave a kind of open ad lib like it was coming from Welker's mind such as:

"O.k., IF I run an outside slant, because they're gearing up to blitz, the LB should bite on my route quickly because of the pressure to the QB, so I'll have to shorten the route, and I'll have time to completely alter the slant in order to turn it into a post route down the length of the sideline...and even though we personally have never run this play before, Brady will sense that I'm going to do that because it just makes sense." 

~It honestly was something that insanely complicated...  BB's point was that How there's very few rare players that simply inately "get it" on a different level that it becomes as much instinctual in that unknown intellectual level, as it is athletic in their physical prowess...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from k-maxx. Show k-maxx's posts

He will be different because his body is going to be different.  The question I have is how long is the recovery time?  Doesn't it take a year to come back for this injury?   If so 2010 season is lost.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Yes, guys built for speed cannot run as fast ever again. unless you're steve austin.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cincyscott. Show cincyscott's posts

Given his work ethic, competitive nature and determination he'll recover.  I have hope that he'll be close to where he was before the injury.  He's such a smart player and he and Brady work well together.  He'll use this as motivation just like Brady did and appreciate every time they walk off the field together in the years ahead. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

"Trollspanker:

I ain't no bandwagon fan. Just not delusional. I have seen NO EVIDENCE this year that the Pats can win a Super Bowl. NONE. Will I still pull for them? Yes. Could it happen? Yes, just not likely. But does it make me a bandwagon fan that I am more concerned for the future of one of our best players and the long term interests of a team than the very slim chance of a Super Bowl season?

Don't think so."

I find it pretty funny when a "real" Koolaid fan busts on other fans (who may have negative views/opinions) about the Patriots....Heaven forbid that you should have an opinion

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

we have seen in the past BB is ruthless when it comes to roster moves.  if edelman (who is faster, and given time and experience could be great) does as i expect him too, we may have seen the last of welker in a pats uniform.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"But does it make me a bandwagon fan that I am more concerned for the future of one of our best players and the long term interests of a team than the very slim chance of a Super Bowl season?"

Yep. Wait till the playoffs are done. There will be whole offseason to talk about Welker and the other roster moves needed, and to criticize if needed what decisions were made with contracts/draft picks etc. For now, why not talk about what adjustments the Pats need to make now that Welker is out to advance in the playoffs? This idea that if you don't win a Super Bowl, a season is totally wasted, is a hallmark of a bandwagon fan. Real fans will root for their team even if they fall short or have a less than ideal roster heading into the playoffs. Of course the Pats are not the favorites to win the Super Bowl this year, not by any means. To win, I believe they would need at least one very helpful upset (like the Colts losing to the Bengals or Jets). But that's why they play the games. As for KoolAid, I only drink my own. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

B
    R
    A
    N
    D
    O
    N
              FOR THE WIN
    M
    A
    R
    S
    H
    A
    L
    L

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

80% of players who blow out ACLs return to the NFL. Come on guys. WW is young, fast-healing, motivated to prove everyone wrong. He'll be back.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I think he will be back.  but we cant afford to be wrong.  bring on the big, big, fast wide receivers! (brandon marshall?)