Is Welker so good we don't even thread him after a game like that?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

Is Welker so good we don't even thread him after a game like that?

I thought Superman was a lot taller.  Do we realize that we have probably the number 1 slot receiver in NFL history lining up over there?  Also, I love how he is tutoring Edelman.  THe game for him was unbelievable.  Almost 200 yards on 15 catches.  He has Brady's complete confidence. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Re: Is Welker so good we don't even thread him after a game like that?

I'm done calling him the best slot receiver.  Although his skills are different than guys like Moss and Fitzgerald, I will go out on a limb and say with confidence right now that I would take Welker on my team over any other receiver in the National Football League.  Hands down.  There, I said it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from simroy. Show simroy's posts

He was an absolute beast today and Brady's great season notwithstanding, I feel he's our team MVP.  Just an incredible day.  I only worry about the number of hard hits he's taken, but like the energizer bunny he just keeps going and going.  Getting him was our best personnel move in years (better than the Dillon move), as he makes Moss so much more dangerous.  Whatta' playa!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

you just did thread him!

In Response to Is Welker so good we don't even thread him after a game like that?:
    I thought Superman was a lot taller.  Do we realize that we have probably the number 1 slot receiver in NFL history lining up over there?  Also, I love how he is tutoring Edelman.  THe game for him was unbelievable.  Almost 200 yards on 15 catches.  He has Brady's complete confidence. 
    Posted by kittycat6969

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

Welker is not only one of the best players in the league he is one of the greatest values.  We signed him to long and affordable contract when we made the trade with Miami.  Wes is deserving of 1st team All Pro consideration.  There I said it!  Yes, I am wearing my Welker jersey proudly.  He stands for everything I believe a player should be.  His college coach said that he had never seen a great overachiever than Wes Welker.  I thought the statistic that showed that he was fastest receiver to 300 catches with a team was a cool feather in his cap.

In Response to Re: Is Welker so good we don't even thread him after a game like that?:
    He was an absolute beast today and Brady's great season notwithstanding, I feel he's our team MVP.  Just an incredible day.  I only worry about the number of hard hits he's taken, but like the energizer bunny he just keeps going and going.  Getting him was our best personnel move in years (better than the Dillon move), as he makes Moss so much more dangerous.  Whatta' playa!
    Posted by simroy

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

True-but I was expecting to see a half a dozen in the forum. 

In Response to Re: Is Welker so good we don't even thread him after a game like that?:
    you just did thread him! In Response to Is Welker so good we don't even thread him after a game like that? :
    Posted by sirpinochle

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

It has come to the point where I expect 10-12 catches every game he plays. Nothing less. Today's game was pretty spectacular though.

As for Edelman, and let me state first that I am not attracted to males in any way shape or form, but I think IT moved a couple times today on a couple of his first down catches. His separation ability before the catch and tackle breaking ability after the catch could be better than Welker's in another year or two. This guy has been a receiver for about 6 and a half months. Welker's hands and trust with Brady obviously much greater at this point but watching Edelman get more and more touches is very exciting for this offense moving forward.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Edelman is very impressive and exciting for a young receiver but we're its not fair to expect him to ever be as good as Welker.  He might be or might not be, but Welker makes difficult things look very easy, and a lot of things have to go right for Edelman to approach that level.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Is Welker so good we don't even thread him after a game like that?:
    Posted by kittycat6969

Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rabbrandy. Show rabbrandy's posts

welker does it every week . nobody even close to him in the slot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

NE robbed Miami on that deal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

Well Said Enoch.  You sound like Master Yoda. 

In Response to Is Welker so good we don't even thread him after a game like that? : Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice. 
    Posted by EnochRoot

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Kitty, All that's missing is the tights and real men don't wear them. If Welker was 6 inches taller and twenty pounds heavier we'd being mentioning his name in the sentence like Moss gets mentioned with Rice. You can bet he has the respect of every DB who has covered him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Edelman is very impressive and exciting for a young receiver but we're its not fair to expect him to ever be as good as Welker.  He might be or might not be, but Welker makes difficult things look very easy, and a lot of things have to go right for Edelman to approach that level.
    Posted by pyegian

I think it is fair for me to expect great things from this kid. He looks pretty good in the slot in only his rookie year. He has never played the position before and has picked it up quite quickly it seems. His separation and tackle breaking ability look really good in only his first year as a receiver. Have to assume he will continue to progress and get better.

No I do not think it fair to expect Welker's production from him anytime soon, but I expect him to pick up some of the slack, say if Faulk hangs it up sometime in the near future. I like to think Welker and Edelman will be the security blanket on third down that Troy Brown and Faulk were for Tom. Then Welker and Faulk. Soon to be Welker and Edelman.

That is why my pants get a little tight when thinking about Edelman's future in this offense. Let's just hope that he continues to progress each year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Yes Kitty, he is THAT GOOD.

79 receptions in 8 games for 854 yards, thats right, 8 games. almost 10 receptions a game avg. for 106.7 ypg avg.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsposato. Show rsposato's posts

The league was supposed to look into the Welker"TRADE_STEAL"
    because Belicheat's friend SABAN was coaching Miami when they
    gave their best receiver away.  He used to kill the Patricheats
    So Belicheat worked a deal with buddy SABAN to convince Miami's
    front office they didn't need Welker their best receiver!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

I just hope Brady doesn't get him killed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

The league was supposed to look into the Welker"TRADE_STEAL" because Belicheat's friend SABAN was coaching Miami when they gave their best receiver away.  He used to kill the Patricheats So Belicheat worked a deal with buddy SABAN to convince Miami's front office they didn't need Welker their best receiver!!!!
    Posted by rsposato

And how did that investigation turn out?  In your dreams, fool.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

Yeah, it did seem almost criminal the way we picked him up. :)  The guy just keeps getting better every year (Do he and Brady share a brain?).  Amazing that he has 79 catches and all of those yards.  It is unfortunate to have lost him for those two games or he might already be over 100 catches. 

In Response to Re: Is Welker so good we don't even thread him after a game like that? : And how did that investigation turn out?  In your dreams, fool.
    Posted by pezz4pats

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

The league was supposed to look into the Welker"TRADE_STEAL" because Belicheat's friend SABAN was coaching Miami when they gave their best receiver away.  He used to kill the Patricheats So Belicheat worked a deal with buddy SABAN to convince Miami's front office they didn't need Welker their best receiver!!!!
    Posted by rsposato

Lol, fantasy island must be your address.  anyway, Miami's front office is probably that stupid, or was.  Go back under your bridge, troll.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Welker is in the mold of my favorite all time patriot, Troy Brown.  Kevin Faulk is also there, quite, clutch time guys.  Guys who just get it done.  I remember him with Miami against us scoring that touchdown then kicking his own extra point.  I thought, why can't we have a guy like that? Then we did.  I hope Stanbeck and/or Edelman develop on the other side of Randy.  Thats what we lacked for the last 3 years, IMO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sodiumpentothal. Show sodiumpentothal's posts

I'm done calling him the best slot receiver.  Although his skills are different than guys like Moss and Fitzgerald, I will go out on a limb and say with confidence right now that I would take Welker on my team over any other receiver in the National Football League.  Hands down.  There, I said it.
    Posted by pyegian

Then your team would be doomed.  Wes is what he is.  The best SLOT receiver we've seen in the past DECADE at least.  Don't get so excited that you overlook obvious facts.  He's the recipient of rolling coverage towards Moss.  He's TB's first option (especially post surgery now that TB's got a quick trigger).  He was TARGETED 17 times today with 15 receptions.  His long reception was set up by a series of short passes to Moss (it was comical, the play before it happened, I called it).  Wes has great hands, feet, quickness, superior route running and I wouldn't trade him for anyone at this time.  But I'm not crazy enough to think he could be this productive playing a "B" or "C" class receiver.  We've seen that Moss can be productive without Wes, we have yet to see if Wes could be this productive without Randy.  I pray we never do... 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Of course I know Randy helps Wes, just as Wes helps Randy.  I've watched plenty of football. However, I also think Wes will get open whether Randy is on the field or not.  Nobody, and I mean not a single player in the NFL will cover Wes Welker 1 on 1 in man coverage. There are great corners in the league but those type of routes are almost impossible to stop that way. 

So, if Randy is not on the field, they would probably roll multiple defensive backs towards Welker, and he probably wouldn't end up with 15 catches.  However, taking an extra defensive back down into the flat or short middle of the field will do wonders for whoever is playing the outside positions.

Basically what I'm saying is, although the skill sets are completely different, I think the offense would be as good with just Welker as it would be with just Moss.  Fewer long scoring plays, more 3rd down conversions.  I believe this because I think Welker has taken his game to a new level this year, which is hard to believe.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sodiumpentothal. Show sodiumpentothal's posts

Of course I know Randy helps Wes, just as Wes helps Randy.  I've watched plenty of football. However, I also think Wes will get open whether Randy is on the field or not.  Nobody, and I mean not a single player in the NFL will cover Wes Welker 1 on 1 in man coverage. There are great corners in the league but those type of routes are almost impossible to stop that way.  So, if Randy is not on the field, they would probably roll multiple defensive backs towards Welker, and he probably wouldn't end up with 15 catches.  However, taking an extra defensive back down into the flat or short middle of the field will do wonders for whoever is playing the outside positions. Basically what I'm saying is, although the skill sets are completely different, I think the offense would be as good with just Welker as it would be with just Moss.  Fewer long scoring plays, more 3rd down conversions.  I believe this because I think Welker has taken his game to a new level this year, which is hard to believe.
    Posted by pyegian

No d-coordinator is going to do that.  They'll always defend against the quick strike.  Don't forget, without Wes this year, Moss was in the top 3 in every receiving category and leading in yardage and TD's for a 2 weeks.  What's so amazing to me is that Moss is the player that coaches taylored their game plan around for 8 years and he doesn't mind one bit running all those clear out "9's) for Wes to clean up underneath.  Going from Prima Donna to "teammate". 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DayWooo763. Show DayWooo763's posts

Welker is GREAT! And BB needs to realize his worth to the team when he's calling his number to go back and return punts! Look, Welker has broken off a few long ones this year in that role, but it's not worth the risk. You don't put your best offensive players (especially small ones who already take a beating over the middle) on special teams! I'd like to compare the decision to the one the Carolina Panthers make every week. Their best return man, Steve Smith happens to be their best receiver, and you know what they don't do...? They don't put him back there to return punts because they can't afford to get him hurt. They have put him back there when their team needs a spark, but they are cautious with their best player. I feel that we need to do the same thing. There are plenty of other guys on our roster who have experience returning punts who are not key cogs in our weekly offensive or defensive game plans. Terrence Wheatley did it at Colorado, Darius Butler at UConn, Matthew Slater at UCLA (I know he's made mistakes in the past but give the guy a break) and although he's hurt, Brandon Tate is one of the best return men in college history. At least put Faulk back there! Get Welker out of harms way by getting him out of the most dangerous phase of the game!

Sections
Shortcuts