Isaac Sopoaga is now a Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mississippipatfan. Show mississippipatfan's posts

Isaac Sopoaga is now a Patriots

We get him for a 5th round pick and they give us a 6th.  Not bad

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Re: Isaac Sopoaga is now a Patriots

This guy makes a lot of money hope philly is still on the hook for some of it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to dfitzp's comment:

We are paying him 529K for the rest of this season.  His next 2 years there is no guaranteed money.  It's fine.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

On what planet is 3.5 mill a year "Alot of money"???? This trade is a good one as it fills a position of need and is for relatively cheap compensation and money.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

FROM TWITTER

The Patriots played more 3-4 against the Dolphins. Sopoaga gives them a guy experienced at manning the nose in that type of front.

AlbertBreer

Albert Breer
    @AlbertBreer

Retweet

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

On what planet is 3.5 mill "Alot of money"???? This trade is a good one as it fills a position of need and is for relatively cheap compensation and money.

Because the guy just signed a 3 year 12 million contract. And the NFL has this thing called the salary cap.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I think this is an excellent trade with little cap implications.  The Pats have the room if I recall correctly.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

On what planet is 3.5 mill "Alot of money"???? This trade is a good one as it fills a position of need and is for relatively cheap compensation and money.

Because the guy just signed a 3 year 12 million contract. And the NFL has this thing called the salary cap.

Yea, that 3.5 mill a year under the cap is really gonna put us in salary cap hell... Blow it out your a55.. You'd probably be in the crowd complaining if BB hadnt made a move to shore up the DL.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

This was the wisest move to make.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1254626-san-francisco-49ers-nt-isaac-sopoaga-deserves-a-bumper-new-contract-after-2012

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

The arguing in this thread misses the point.  We basically gave up nothing to acquire a guy that will fill a position of need for a little over 500K this season.  Beyond that we owe this guy nothing.  None of his remaining contract is guaranteed.  We can cut him if he sucks.  If he somehow becomes an all-pro he is a bargain at 3.5 for the remaining 2 years and if he is somewhere in between we can restructure him if we really want to keep him.  There is no downside to this deal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

The arguing in this thread misses the point.  We basically gave up nothing to acquire a guy that will fill a position of need for a little over 500K this season.  Beyond that we owe this guy nothing.  None of his remaining contract is guaranteed.  We can cut him if he sucks.  If he somehow becomes an all-pro he is a bargain at 3.5 for the remaining 2 years and if he is somewhere in between we can restructure him if we really want to keep him.  There is no downside to this deal.

Thank you!  +1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

As PCM mentioned, the Pats are on the hook for no guarantees.  529k for the rest of 2013; if they want him back in 2014, it's 3.75 million, and 3.5 million in 2015.  But, they can cut him at any point with no dead money hit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Perfectly stated....I agree..how is this not a win for the Pats...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Agreed and all it cost was a few draft positions between the 5th and 6th rounds.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Yea, that 3.5 mill a year under the cap is really gonna put us in salary cap hell... Blow it out your a55.. You'd probably be in the crowd complaining if BB hadnt made a move to shore up the DL.

I'm happy for the move. We need a big body in tbere. I'm glad there are no salary guarantees. It sounds like philly is on the hook for most of his salary.  And Xx I wasn't complainig. Sounds lime a great deal but if wd were responsible for 2 more years and 8 mil not so good.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Perfectly stated....I agree..how is this not a win for the Pats...

+1

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

excellent. now hopefully kelly and talib can become healthy and our defense will be fine with fletcher taking mayos spot at coverage LB.  specially with dobson's improved play I am excited for this team come playoffs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

I think he will bring a new dimension in the hair styling arena

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCapMan. Show TheCapMan's posts

I'm happy for the move. We need a big body in tbere. I'm glad there are no salary guarantees. It sounds like philly is on the hook for most of his salary.  And Xx I wasn't complainig. Sounds lime a great deal but if wd were responsible for 2 more years and 8 mil not so good.

I believe that although his contract was evenly split over the three years at 3.5 each, a large chunk of this years was bonus money.  As you said, Philly is on the hook for most of it. This is low price tag for a guy that will probably get substantial playing time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

This guy's photo on B/R was downright scary.....

No idea as to playing crdentials but Philly dropped 3.25M and for 500K we presumably

get a run stuffing guy.....Did I get that about right?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

I wonder if  the coaches seeing him in the joint practices with the Eagles had any sway in the decision to make the trade?  ala Talib Aqib last year

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He's closer to Love than Wilfork in terms of talent, but he's a better option than Vellano. I like JV, but 300 pounds does not make a NT.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He and Chris Jones ought to make a better duo. But which 2012 draft pick gets axed? Wilson or Bequette?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

He and Chris Jones ought to make a better duo. But which 2012 draft pick gets axed? Wilson or Bequette?

Neither. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

Love this move! Got him for practically nothing. The potential outweighs the cost by far

Sections
Shortcuts