Isn't D'Brickashaw Ferguson Considered a Bust?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Isn't D'Brickashaw Ferguson Considered a Bust?

I am not basing this question off any facts or stats but from what I hear, the general consensus is that he's been a bust considering where he was drafted (or something to that effect). Now, he's getting a $60 million extension with some $38 million guaranteeed.

Good deal, bad deal?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Isn't D'Brickashaw Ferguson Considered a Bust?

In Response to Isn't D'Brickashaw Ferguson Considered a Bust?:
    I am not basing this question off any facts or stats but from what I hear, the general consensus is that he's been a bust considering where he was drafted (or something to that effect). Now, he's getting a $60 million extension with some $38 million guaranteeed. Good deal, bad deal?
    Posted by apdynasty23

Actually, $34.8mil. was guaranteed. From what I know of "The Brick", he has been a pro-bowler, and is a solid player. If he remains healthy, he should improve with age.

A good deal? "The Brick" had two years remaining on his rookie deal. A work stoppage seems likely in 2011. So, why have the Jets chosen to make him comfortable while holding out? Could unfettered free agency after 4 years, expansion of team rosters from 53 to 56 players per team, an expanded 18 game schedule, a looser cap which counts only veteran's (5 years or more in the league) salaries, and one franchise tag per team, be in the works...in exchange for a rookie salary cap? Since we don't know the answer to these types of questions, this deal is hard to judge.  But, I like it better for "The Brick", than for the Jets. In my view, they're paying him too much guaranteed money:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/07/ferguson-will-get-348-million-guaranteed/

Now I have a question for you-all. Do any of you think that this extension in any way impacts the Pats in their rugged negotiations with Logan Mankins? Should it? 

Thoughts?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: Isn't D'Brickashaw Ferguson Considered a Bust?:
    In Response to Isn't D'Brickashaw Ferguson Considered a Bust? :      Actually, $34.8mil. was guaranteed. From what I know of "The Brick", he has been a pro-bowler, and is a solid player. If he remains healthy, he should improve with age.      A good deal? "The Brick" had two years remaining on his rookie deal. A work stoppage seems likely in 2011. So, why have the Jets chosen to make him comfortable while holding out? Could unfettered free agency after 4 years, expansion of team rosters from 53 to 56 players per team, an expanded 18 game schedule, a looser cap which counts only veteran's (5 years or more in the league) salaries, and one franchise tag per team, be in the works...in exchange for a rookie salary cap? Since we don't know the answer to these types of questions, this deal is hard to judge.  But, I like it better for "The Brick", than for the Jets. In my view, they're paying him too much guaranteed money: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/07/ferguson-will-get-348-million-guaranteed/            Now I have a question for you-all. Do any of you think that this extension in any way impacts the Pats in their rugged negotiations with Logan Mankins? Should it?       Thoughts?
    Posted by TexasPat3

If it does it will only draw them further apart.  I don't see the Pats upping their offer based off what the Jets do, but Mankins may up his expectations.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Tex you are wrong on this one, after this past season he was considered a pro bowl type guy but before last season he was considered a bust. It was not till after Mangini left that people change their mind on him. And lets see how he does with Fanica now being gone and no longer able to help the kid out.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

How am I "wrong on this one"? Ferguson made the pro-bowl last year, albeit as a replacement for Miami's Jake Long. I also commented that I thought it was a good deal for Ferguson, but not so good for the Jets...who overpaid.

Here's an article discussing how much the Jets felt he improved last year: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/01/21/2010-01-21_brick_builds_career_on_solid_foundation.html

Valid point on Faneca.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's an excellent article on possible impacts of the "Brick" deal. All four of the points made, with the exception that this deal makes it more likely that Tom Brady will move on, makes sense: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/07/dbrickashaw-deal-raises-a-several-interesting-questions/

Sorry, Florio. You can stir the pot all you like...but Bob Kraft will never allow Tom Brady leave the Pats...just as the Colts won't allow Peyton to leave. Both deals will eventually get done. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Tex what I meant by you are wrong is that he is not like a pro bowler every year and thats kind of how you made it sound. He made one pro bowl but before that he was 100% considered a bust. Maybe people spoke too soon and he is a good tackle or maybe he played well last year with Fanica in his ear and Thomas Jones running all over people. We will see.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

My take is that he's a good player...not a great player. The Jets overpaid for him. Why they substantially altered his deal with two years still remaining on his rookie contract is beyond me. But, maybe they know something that we don't.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Ferguson is what I would call "serviceable." There's some merit to what everybody is saying about the influence of Faneca on that whole line, but it would seem to me that, with this contract, Green New Jersey is expecting Brick to step up and fill the void. Whether or not he can actually do that remains to be seen -- I'm guessing "no" -- but I don't know that I would call him a bust, necessarily. It's not his fault the brain trust (and I use that term as loosely as possible) in New Jersey doesn't know how to manage the cap.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Ferguson is what I would call "serviceable." There's some merit to what everybody is saying about the influence of Faneca on that whole line, but it would seem to me that, with this contract, Green New Jersey is expecting Brick to step up and fill the void. Whether or not he can actually do that remains to be see -- I'm guessing "no" -- but I don't know that I would call him a bust, necessarily. It's not his fault the brain trust (and I use that term as loosely as possible) in New Jersey doesn't know how to manage the cap.
    Posted by p-mike

Just the fact that most people not only on this forum but several Jets fans that I personally know are saying this guy is "good" "servicable" "not great" tells me that this deal is one of the worst I have ever seen. Yes I realize these are just us fans opinions, but for this guy to have 2 years left with some pretty good money and the uncertainty of next year coming combined with a disgruntled Mangold( who I thought was there best o-linemen) and a disgruntled Revis( who is supposed to be the best corner in the game) then this deal is just crazy to me. 38 Million Guaranteed with the current state of the league???? WHY?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

Brick, much like the rest of gang green are on the upswing.  He has improved each of his years in the league.  He has the hardest job on the O-line and that is protecting the blind side.  We got what we wanted in drafting Brick.  A cornerstone for our Oline for years to come.  That has to be why we dumped Faneca.  Gave Brick and hopefully Mangold some cash to work with.  Anyhow, call Brick a bust if you like, all he did was make the probowl last year.

How is your golden boy doing.  He still best buds with the owner?  Leaving his 3 time champ SB QB out to dry in the last year of a budget contract.  Kraft wishes he had more friends like Brady...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

He became better because he worked at it moron.  He was definately helped by Faneca the first couple of years, but he had to do his own work.  He is still improving.  BTW, I thought NE fans voted you off of this board because of your moronic posts.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

Rusty being Rusty....I never said any of those things, that is all you bruddah.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

how many players can they avoid to pay more than 10 million a year to?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Brick, much like the rest of gang green are on the upswing.  He has improved each of his years in the league.  He has the hardest job on the O-line and that is protecting the blind side.  We got what we wanted in drafting Brick.  A cornerstone for our Oline for years to come.  That has to be why we dumped Faneca.  Gave Brick and hopefully Mangold some cash to work with.  Anyhow, call Brick a bust if you like, all he did was make the probowl last year. How is your golden boy doing.  He still best buds with the owner?  Leaving his 3 time champ SB QB out to dry in the last year of a budget contract.  Kraft wishes he had more friends like Brady...
    Posted by whodeawhodat

It sounds like you are hoping that is the reason you dumped Faneca, also Brick made the pro bowl as a reserve, guess what so did David Gerrard. Look I'm not calling him a bust but you are one of the few Jet fans that I have heard from who actually thinks this is a good deal for NY. Why wouldn't you give that kind of coin to Revis? Also with you trying to insinuate that Kraft is leaving Brady out to dry tells me that your knowledge of this league is slim to none and now that I think about it I don't even know why I responded to you. I wish I could get back the 45 seconds it took me to write this post. Good Day Buddy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

CHECK THIS OUT: Apparently, the amount of money guaranteed to Ferguson in his alleged huge extension is quite limited. He is basically on a year to year contract...which can be terminated if he suffers an injury...or doesn't perform to expectations: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/08/dbrickashaws-real-deal-one-year-53225-million/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Isn't D'Brickashaw Ferguson Considered a Bust? : Wow, that is incredible. I wish we could sign Mankins to a contract like that.  It's pretty funny to see all of the negative comments on here about stuff that wasn't even true.  Say what you want, the guy is a probowler at the most important position of the Oline and if he proves his worth, they have him locked up for a long time if they feel they should spend the money elsewhere, they can do that too.
    Posted by PatStats

This right here is the primary (some might say the only) reason forums like this are so popular. Most peopel like nothing better than a place they can go and splatter their uninformed opinion for all the world to see in a manner that does not require them to actually back up anything they say.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

Champ--I dont think it is that bad of a contract because I want our talent to be on the offensive line.  I like what the Broncos did a few years back when they had all those running backs going for thousand yard seasons and when a running back left, the next one would fill right in behind the O line.  That is where I want to build on Offense.  Lets face it, Thomas Jones was given his 1st 3 yards on every carry because of that line.  Having some legitimate receivers will help that line even further since it will pull 1 or 2 of the 9 that the defenses had stacked in the box.  I am not worried about our team this year.

As far as your golden boy, what do I not understand?  He is playing out the last year of his contract like he was some pos not the owners buddy.  It is what it is.  I see some people crying on these boards about Brady leaving after this season.  You guys are going to franchise him?  that's how the owner treats his SB QB? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

i dont think he is that good... and he benefited from mangold, woody and fanaca..and the running game

did they run to his side every down or through the tackles?? maybe he is a better run player than pass protection... in any event..the jets are going to have big problems with mangold and revis with this payday...and they are going to try and start a umass rookie at right guard...good luck

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

In Response to Re: Isn't D'Brickashaw Ferguson Considered a Bust? : Wow, that is incredible. I wish we could sign Mankins to a contract like that.  It's pretty funny to see all of the negative comments on here about stuff that wasn't even true.  Say what you want, the guy is a probowler at the most important position of the Oline and if he proves his worth, they have him locked up for a long time if they feel they should spend the money elsewhere, they can do that too.
    Posted by PatStats

fraud

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The reality is, if we could get Mankins to sign that same deal, you'd have already jizzed all over yourself and you TB blowup doll. 
    Posted by PatStats

I'm just gonna let this little gem speak for itself.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

@MVPKilla--Okay bruddah lol.  I like your style but you have to admit that your owner hanging the QB that won him 3 rings is some boo sheezzz.  Everyone on this board sings about how great Brady is and how he is 100% from his knee surgery and he and the WRs are the best ever, blah blah blah.  I think some of you guys actually believe the garbage you type.

@ Rusty--It pains me to respond to you and I wish you would go ahead and put me on ignore.  Look at this gem in Brick's contract.

There’s also some unrealistic landmarks in the deal like this: Ferguson will earn $1.3 million in incentives if he takes part in at least 97 percent of the special teams plays in 2015 and 2016 and blocks at least seven punts in each of those years. More details of the contract can be found here.

So everyone is so up in arms about a contract they know nothing about.  The only thing you should worry about is protecting your golden boy.  Maybe even take care of him with an extension.  Would be a shame to let him leave...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

Okay Rusty, so now its 9 million per year....What are you going to change your story to next?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

Just so you guys know, Ferguson's deal is actually a 1yr $5.3225 deal. Most of the contract is fluff so the plyr/agent can boast how great a deal it is.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/08/dbrickashaws-real-deal-one-year-53225-million/

Sections
Shortcuts