It doesn't seem easy from here

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

It doesn't seem easy from here

With the three best defenses in the league (in my opinion) left in the playoffs, the question is whether this offense can keep up the scoring necessary to win another championship.  If you look at two losses, discarding the fluke win by Buffalo... it was interuptive and relentless defense that harrassed Brady, and the Patriot's weapons, that caused a lot of stalled drives. 

I didn't have much doubt that New England could score with New Orleans, or Green Bay.  Brady would rule those defenses.  However, the Ravens will basically tackle Welker and Branch at scrimmage on every opportunity.  Leaving a strong group of linebackers to slow down our TE's.

Does anyone think we can run well enough against the Ravens to open things up for our TE's on play action?  I think this will be essential to get to the next round.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: It doesn't seem easy from here

In Response to It doesn't seem easy from here:
    With the three best defenses in the league (in my opinion) left in the playoffs, the question is whether this offense can keep up the scoring necessary to win another championship.  If you look at two losses, discarding the fluke win by Buffalo... it was interuptive and relentless defense that harrassed Brady, and the Patriot's weapons, that caused a lot of stalled drives.  I didn't have much doubt that New England could score with New Orleans, or Green Bay.  Brady would rule those defenses.  However, the Ravens will basically tackle Welker and Branch at scrimmage on every opportunity.  Leaving a strong group of linebackers to slow down our TE's. Does anyone think we can run well enough against the Ravens to open things up for our TE's on play action?  I think this will be essential to get to the next round.
    Posted by jmmyslinski

we couldve if wed worked onit adn played ridley an dveren more.
    at this rate,no not much.
    esp against balt or sf

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

The Giants defense played very good today (and last week) but in no way would anyone consider them one of the top three defenses or even one of the top 10 defenses in the league. The Texans and Steelers defenses are vastly superior to them. As much as i hate to say it but Eli is almost as good a quarterback as he thinks he is (at least this year he was).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I would not count on the Pats running the ball very effectively. i would not be surprised if the Pats go after the Ravens the way they usually go after the Steelers. Spread them out and tire them with the no huddle. The Pats running game against the Broncos was primarily trick plays until the rout was on and the Pats called off the dogs. The Pats struggled against the Steelers this year because the defense could not get off the field on third down. Flacco is no Roethlisberger so if the Pats can contain Ray Rice and put pressure on the Ravens defense the Pats should pull away in the second half and win it. Pats can not turn it over like they did in 2009. The Ravens saw Ridley's fumble. They will be going after the ball like crazy when he has it.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: It doesn't seem easy from here:
     I would not count on the Pats running the ball very effectively. i would not be surprised if the Pats go after the Ravens the way they usually go after the Steelers. Spread them out and tire them with the no huddle. The Pats running game against the Broncos was primarily trick plays until the rout was on and the Pats called off the dogs. The Pats struggled against the Steelers this year because the defense could not get off the field on third down. Flacco is no Roethlisberger so if the Pats can contain Ray Rice and put pressure on the Ravens defense the Pats should pull away in the second half and win it. Pats can not turn it over like they did in 2009. The Ravens saw Ridley's fumble. They will be going after the ball like crazy when he has it.
    Posted by ccnsd

its not like bb to put ridley in much, at this point. but we will see.
    i dont think giants make it past sf

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Nothing is easy.  No way.  The Pats assumed the "we got this" attitude in 07, 08, and last season.  And they got their butt kicked for it. That's why they need to take next week as seriously as anything they have ever faced.  They need to be ANGRY but focus on the Ravens only.
    Posted by ipot

well put!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

The Giants defense played very good today (and last week) but in no way would anyone consider them one of the top three defenses or even one of the top 10 defenses in the league. The Texans and Steelers defenses are vastly superior to them. As much as i hate to say it but Eli is almost as good a quarterback as he thinks he is (at least this year he was).
    Posted by ccnsd

They (the Giants) sure have been over the past four weeks. Since Tuck returned  and Osi got healthy, they've really picked up their intensity. They are a very dangerous team right now. NYG-SF should be wonderful to watch.

Funny how "defense doesn't matter" in the playoffs. Look how successful the Saints and Packers have been this year. Everyone left has a defense that can give Brady fits. The question is...can the Pats defense hold the score down enough. We'll see....

Damn, I wish he'd taken Brooks Reed when he had the chance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Nothing about the NFL playoffs is ever 'easy.'  Agree that NYG/SF will be an excellent football game and so, in my opinion, will be Ravens/Pats.  Also agree that the Pats will spread out Ravens and go no huddle.  Ravens don't have a great O and as good as their D is, the Pats TEs are matchup issues for any team.  We'll see some running plays from the Pats just to mix things up a bit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The Giants are the lowest ranked defense in PPG in the playoffs right now. You could say they've played better as of late, but you could say the same about the Pats or any other team. I wouldn't revise history here, the Giants and Pats got to the playoffs with offense and the Ravens and niners with defense. If you think theres meaning to that then good for you. SF just gave up over 30 points, NE gave up 10, it's about how they play in the game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to It doesn't seem easy from here:
    With the three best defenses in the league (in my opinion) left in the playoffs, the question is whether this offense can keep up the scoring necessary to win another championship.  If you look at two losses, discarding the fluke win by Buffalo... it was interuptive and relentless defense that harrassed Brady, and the Patriot's weapons, that caused a lot of stalled drives.  I didn't have much doubt that New England could score with New Orleans, or Green Bay.  Brady would rule those defenses.  However, the Ravens will basically tackle Welker and Branch at scrimmage on every opportunity.  Leaving a strong group of linebackers to slow down our TE's. Does anyone think we can run well enough against the Ravens to open things up for our TE's on play action?  I think this will be essential to get to the next round.
    Posted by jmmyslinski

Uh, I'm pretty sure you aren't devising the game plan, so we don't have to do what you suggest here.  We will most likely do what the tape shows us is the best thing to do.  I didn't see anything from the Ravens yesterday that looked that good.  An average QB who can make SOME plays, not enough.  A beat up defense that can generate some pass rush but is slow at linebacker.  I'm pretty sure they are going to defend the inside passing game. That should be all we need to run on them.  It seems easy to make the next step, granted the SB matchup may be tougher, but is entirely winnable.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Every week we hear the same thing about the Pats..   bad D and a great O.  Yet, week after week after week (I can go for 9 of these) the Pats have won NINE in a row with that D. (PS - the talking heads are talking up the Giants as the HOT team right now because they won FOUR in a row!) The team does what it has to do to win and what it did against Denver was far better than many of us probably expected on the D side of the ball.  This is the same offense that scored 29 points against the Steelers.  Now we got the Ravens coming into town and you know they will be coming into town saying.  "we got a D that is the best and we'll stomp ya".  The Ravens will be talking smack as will their fans ( my two sons are at it already, Ravens fans, sheesh!)who will quote until the cows come home about how the Pats D is horrible and they haven't defeated a team who finished the regular season above .500.  The game will not be easy, but, at this point which team is REALLY playing better, the Ravens or the Pats.  I say the Pats and they are AT HOME!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

The Giants are the lowest ranked defense in PPG in the playoffs right now. You could say they've played better as of late, but you could say the same about the Pats or any other team. I wouldn't revise history here, the Giants and Pats got to the playoffs with offense and the Ravens and niners with defense. If you think theres meaning to that then good for you. SF just gave up over 30 points, NE gave up 10, it's about how they play in the game.
    Posted by shenanigan

While I agree it is ALL about how they play in the game...SF gave up 32 to the Saints who were rolling like no one had seen before!  We gave up 10 the offensively challenged Broncos...big difference.

Tell you what...the 49ers gave teams something else to worry about with that great run Alex Smith had.  I did NOT see that one coming.  Great game...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: It doesn't seem easy from here : While I agree it is ALL about how they play in the game...SF gave up 32 to the Saints who were rolling like no one had seen before!  We gave up 10 the offensively challenged Broncos...big difference. Tell you what...the 49ers gave teams something else to worry about with that great run Alex Smith had.  I did NOT see that one coming.  Great game...
    Posted by Ytsejamer1

Everyone is now conveniently forgetting how this "challenged" offense put up 29 points on the Steelers.  Say what you want about the bad schemes the Steelers put into that game, but, bottom line, the Broncos DID put up 29 on the #1 D in the league that game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

that they did...in that game against the Steelers, they played very well on about 10 plays...Steelers played very bad on those plays.  Goes back to the overall point made earlier, it's a matter of who is playing better on that day moreover than anything else.  If our offense is sharp and executes cleanly, we're almost impossible to stop.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I hope a guy like Ridley didn't get himself too far into the dog house with that fumble, because we need something out of this running game to open up play action against them. Maybe Woodhead will be a factor running against what has been described their slow linebackers? He's not a big guy either and he'll cough it up if given too many touches.

Maybe for safety purposes they should just live and die with Benny...if he's going to get you 30 yards on 13 carries obviously it won't work, but who knows? Maybe he's got one good game in him. I could see him getting 70 yards and giving you just barely enough to be affective. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: It doesn't seem easy from here":
    In Response to Re: It doesn't seem easy from here : While I agree it is ALL about how they play in the game...SF gave up 32 to the Saints who were rolling like no one had seen before!  We gave up 10 the offensively challenged Broncos...big difference. Tell you what...the 49ers gave teams something else to worry about with that great run Alex Smith had.  I did NOT see that one coming.  Great game... Posted by Ytsejamer1
    Saints were rolling like two teams I've seen before this year, NE and GB.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

You something folks.. what would make it real interesting next Sunday is a game in which it is snowing.  Brady has excelled in those conditions..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

of course it's getting harder. First of all, we'll be facing teams that are over .500

The good thing is that we play at home one more time.

Ravens, 49ers, and giants all have the potential to win it all - as do we.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to It doesn't seem easy from here : we couldve if wed worked onit adn played ridley an dveren more. at this rate,no not much. esp against balt or sf
    Posted by bredbru

WHAT !!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

You something folks.. what would make it real interesting next Sunday is a game in which it is snowing.  Brady has excelled in those conditions..
    Posted by agcsbill

If we get snow the grounds crew better keep a snowblower ready for a last second field goal !!

Seriously, no game is ever very easy in the NFL and the old saying about any team beating any other on any given week is so true.  If the Patriots D comes to play with the ferocity they brought this past week Flacco may fold early and it may be an easy win. If not it will be a tight game with the pats winning by ten. 

Only my meaningless prediction. 

Hetchinspete.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think it's going to be awfully hard to defend against  great pair of TE, wes welker and deion.  The get 3 guys that the Pats can send on short routes and if they are covered, then they have the 2 wide outs. 

The Gronk and Hernedez make the Pats offense scary good. 

I think the pats defense can load up against the run.  The Denver game was a good warm up for the Ravens game.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pats routed the Ravens.  But I wouldn't be surprised by a close game. 

As far as looking ahead, the Giants are scary.  They have a good, balanced offense.  Eli is good enough and their running backs are big.  Their defense is well coached. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

huh....

Sections
Shortcuts