It isn't Thanksgiving yet....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

It isn't Thanksgiving yet....

Bill Belichick has been quoted many times saying something to the effect of "the real football season starts after thanksgiving".  Being a rose colored glasses wearing koolaid drinking brown nosing BB lover (guilty as charged) I would like to take the time to point out that IT ISN'T THANKSGIVING YET.  Lots of football to be played, and although we ususally have a decent lead in the division by this time, many years it has been as tight or tighter than it is right now.  It would be great if we were up one or two games, but it's also great we aren't DOWN one or two.  So, we are here, headed for Thanksgiving tied, with the opportunity to go one up on the Jests and head into the 2nd season in good shape.  I have to tell myself that, because the hysteria levels on the board here make it seem like we went 2-6 and are already out of it.  WE ARE NOT.  If by some chance the Jests win, we are STILL not out of it, but we NEED to beat them just to shut them up and move on.  
                                    On to the playoffs!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

Re: It isn't Thanksgiving yet....

I agree... I don't understand your signature though. Explain.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Now that it seems that winning the division isn't a given I think it makes the rest of the season more exciting.

I always look forward to the Jets games but now this one seems even more important to me than just bragging rights.

Now that alot of pundits are beginning to write the Pats off it's almost like the days when they weren't respected or taken very seriously.  Back when the team used to use that as motivation.

I don't think this team is done and am looking forward to the rest of the season.

It will interesting to see how or if they improve and hopefully make the playoffs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

more bright side to look at...

the last time i remember the media dismissing the pats like this was in 2003. 2001 is not the right comparison because they had not won anything. in 2003, they deserved more respect but people still did not believe they were a good team, particularly after the loss to the bills (i am not confusing the seasons am i?).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

more bright side to look at...

the last time i remember the media dismissing the pats like this was in 2003. 2001 is not the right comparison because they had not won anything. in 2003, they deserved more respect but people still did not believe they were a good team, particularly after the loss to the bills (i am not confusing the seasons am i?).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In Response to Re: It isn't Thanksgiving yet....:
    [QUOTE]more bright side to look at... the last time i remember the media dismissing the pats like this was in 2003. 2001 is not the right comparison because they had not won anything. in 2003, they deserved more respect but people still did not believe they were a good team, particularly after the loss to the bills (i am not confusing the seasons am i?).
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

2003 is the correct season. That was when Tom Jackson said Belichek had lost the team. I worry that the Pats post thanksgiving schedule is so easy that overconfidence creeps in though with the team. I know it will be in full blossom with the fans if the Pats crush Indy, Washington, Denver and Miami before facing the Bills at the end of the season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from odDboB. Show odDboB's posts

Maybe there's a silver lining in the Giant loss. If they had hung on to win, many mistakes would fade from memory. To be a true contender, to get the confidence needed to make a serious run, somehow they need to pull off a HUGH WIN Sunday night. A division game against their current #1 nemesis. I see this as a major psych turnaround if they do it.

Football is the toughest of the 4 major sports to predict in my opinion, highly emotional as we know. And if our guys MAN UP Sunday night behind enemy lines, do they have the talent to do it? And what of the symptoms of TEAM problems?

Our kicker flubbing an onside against the Steelers, missing a chip shot at halftime?

Tom missing receivers. Note Aikman's (also a championship QB) comments from the Fox booth. He flat-out missed in the end zone just before the Gos miss, didn't lead OHNO in the end zone on another, missed an open OHNO on an out route. He got lucky on a near 3rd pick in the middle of the field also against NY. His head is not in the game at times. Yes, he was great coming back, but Tom had a lot to do with them getting in a hole to begin with.

The defense doesn't look like it knows what to do at times. Bodden and McCourty were great in the past, why not now? Are we sure that it's all on them? Weak pass D from the linebackers. And NEVER quite getting to Manning when they needed to. Makes me wonder if the Pats simply are not in the elite anymore.

New England fans will get a lot of healing if they win against the dreaded Rex. 
    Is there nothing better than QUIET NY fans? Let's hope they return last Sunday's favor.

I hate Sunday night games. Ain't it great having an out of control bp with anxiety attacks and the possibility of going to bed angry before Manic Monday starts?

GO PATS! Please help this nervous wreck!!!..........................boB

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe there's a silver lining in the Giant loss. If they had hung on to win, many mistakes would fade from memory. To be a true contender, to get the confidence needed to make a serious run, somehow they need to pull off a HUGH WIN Sunday night. A division game against their current #1 nemesis. I see this as a major psych turnaround if they do it. Football is the toughest of the 4 major sports to predict in my opinion, highly emotional as we know. And if our guys MAN UP Sunday night behind enemy lines, do they have the talent to do it? And what of the symptoms of TEAM problems? Our kicker flubbing an onside against the Steelers, missing a chip shot at halftime? Tom missing receivers. Note Aikman's (also a championship QB) comments from the Fox booth. He flat-out missed in the end zone just before the Gos miss, didn't lead OHNO in the end zone on another, missed an open OHNO on an out route. He got lucky on a near 3rd pick in the middle of the field also against NY. His head is not in the game at times. Yes, he was great coming back, but Tom had a lot to do with them getting in a hole to begin with. The defense doesn't look like it knows what to do at times. Bodden and McCourty were great in the past, why not now? Are we sure that it's all on them? Weak pass D from the linebackers. And NEVER quite getting to Manning when they needed to. Makes me wonder if the Pats simply are not in the elite anymore. New England fans will get a lot of healing if they win against the dreaded Rex.  Is there nothing better than QUIET NY fans? Let's hope they return last Sunday's favor. I hate Sunday night games. Ain't it great having an out of control bp with anxiety attacks and the possibility of going to bed angry before Manic Monday starts? GO PATS! Please help this nervous wreck!!!..........................boB  
    Posted by odDboB[/QUOTE]

If the Patriots learn from this weekend then the silver lining does exist. I agree that Brady's turnovers are what forced the Pats to make the "comeback". The offensive line play seems really bad recently. A lot of penalties and Brady seems to be rushed way more than normal. Having to keep Woodhead in to block takes away one of the most effective weapons Brady had in 2010. Woodhead was a Jet killer in that blowout victory. Afterwards the ESPN crew commented how he is a match up nightmare for the Jets.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]I agree... I don't understand your signature though. Explain.
    Posted by oh-my-beard[/QUOTE]

It's a modification of WeDerr's sig.  His reads NYJ=The BIG BROTHERS OF NY.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Dave - BB also said that you know what type of team you have after 6 weeks.

What I see in this team is the same thing I saw in 09' and 10' and the same thing I saw in the colts from 03'-05':

A D that teases and shows flashes of promise from drive to drive and game to game but falls apart when they are needed most. They played great for 53mins of the Giants game and when they needed just 1 more stop they couldn't make it. I don't know about you but this last game when I saw 1:38 left on the clock in the back of my mind all I could think was, that's to much time.

An O that is to dependent on Brady. There is no balance and any sign of trouble they shut down the running game and tell Brady to win it for them. Now Brady is the only QB I would want on a must need TD drive but you can tell when Brady feels he has to win it because he forces balls in places he normally wouldn't try which leads to turn overs. It's never a good thing when if you win or lose is based on Brady having to throw a perfect game.

It's almost completly backwards from 01-05:

On D they could be off and give up TD after TD all game but on the last drive when they needed the ball back or needed a stop to win the game they would get the stop. We all had complete confidence when they needed to they would hunker down and do what they needed to get the stop. You can't tell me you feel the same way about this team.

On O Brady could have an off day and they would switch to short high % passes and the run game would pick up the slack. They would make it a ToP game and grind out points while limiting the opponent to how many touches they would get. When the game was on the line it was in Brady's hands but I don't think I ever saw Brady forcing balls in. He would take sacks or 1 yrd check downs even on 2 and longs because he had confidence they could get it next down. I don't think Brady always has that same confidence anymore which leads him to take more chances.

This isn't the same team as the SB years it's more Colt like then Pats like. They still have time to turn it around and put it together but they have a long way to go before they start to look like the SB winning teams

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]Dave - BB also said that you know what type of team you have after 6 weeks. What I see in this team is the same thing I saw in 09' and 10' and the same thing I saw in the colts from 03'-05': A D that teases and shows flashes of promise from drive to drive and game to game but falls apart when they are needed most. They played great for 53mins of the Giants game and when they needed just 1 more stop they couldn't make it. I don't know about you but this last game when I saw 1:38 left on the clock in the back of my mind all I could think was, that's to much time. An O that is to dependent on Brady. There is no balance and any sign of trouble they shut down the running game and tell Brady to win it for them. Now Brady is the only QB I would want on a must need TD drive but you can tell when Brady feels he has to win it because he forces balls in places he normally wouldn't try which leads to turn overs. It's never a good thing when if you win or lose is based on Brady having to throw a perfect game. It's almost completly backwards from 01-05: On D they could be off and give up TD after TD all game but on the last drive when they needed the ball back or needed a stop to win the game they would get the stop. We all had complete confidence when they needed to they would hunker down and do what they needed to get the stop. You can't tell me you feel the same way about this team. On O Brady could have an off day and they would switch to short high % passes and the run game would pick up the slack. They would make it a ToP game and grind out points while limiting the opponent to how many touches they would get. When the game was on the line it was in Brady's hands but I don't think I ever saw Brady forcing balls in. He would take sacks or 1 yrd check downs even on 2 and longs because he had confidence they could get it next down. I don't think Brady always has that same confidence anymore which leads him to take more chances. This isn't the same team as the SB years it's more Colt like then Pats like. They still have time to turn it around and put it together but they have a long way to go before they start to look like the SB winning teams
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I think you have written off the season already, so there isn't much to say here. But I have not.  If we know what we are after 6 weeks, then we should know this:

We are improving on defense
    Our offense has to scheme around the way some teams are playing us defensively
    We needed to get rid of some baggage
    We are in GREAT position to decide our own destiny and get to the playoffs.  
    Once in the playoffs, everyone is 0-0

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

I'll be thankful when your gone but until then, remember that you have won only one superbowl and that was in the last century.  You won't win one this year either.  You may beat us and you may even win the division but your team is not good enough to go all the way and frankly I don't think it ever will be.  I think your team is cursed.  Call it the curse of the guarantee.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]I'll be thankful when your gone but until then, remember that you have won only one superbowl and that was in the last century.  You won't win one this year either.  You may beat us and you may even win the division but your team is not good enough to go all the way and frankly I don't think it ever will be.  I think your team is cursed.  Call it the curse of the guarantee.
    Posted by Dessalines[/QUOTE]

Who?  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: It isn't Thanksgiving yet.... : I think you have written off the season already, so there isn't much to say here. But I have not.  If we know what we are after 6 weeks, then we should know this: We are improving on defense Our offense has to scheme around the way some teams are playing us defensively We needed to get rid of some baggage We are in GREAT position to decide our own destiny and get to the playoffs.   Once in the playoffs, everyone is 0-0
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

Dave I haven't written off this season at all. I'm expressing concerns that what I see so far is the same as what I saw the year before and the year before that. Actually the O last year was better, this years O resembles the 09' O better.

They have time to turn it around and I hope it clicks and they catch lighting in a bottle. The Colts did it in 06' when their D suddenly came alive and GB last year. I will watch every week as I always do and continue to be optimistic that it can improve but I'm not going to put on blinders and say everything is alright. As we all know teams can improve or demise as the season progresses and it's really these tough stretches in the middle of the year that define a team. After the bye the Pats are 0-2 against 2 playoff caliber teams. The next couple weeks will go a long way to define this team and how they react to adversity. But, I'm also keeping track of things I see as issues and want resolved over the off-season. As fans we shouldn't just blindly follow the team praising it's strengths, but we should also be recognizing it's weakness and discuss on ways it could and should improve. And no I'm not delusional and think what we discuss here would in anyway affect the team but that's all part of being a fan. As fans we should demand better if it falls that for the 3rd year in a row the team has stubbornly put their heads down with the 07' approach and it hasn't worked.

This is the turning point in the year and the team last week or the week before won't go far in the playoffs. Something needs to change and change soon. Thankfully I saw more change in last weeks game on the D side of the ball then any other week but the O took another step backwards

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Bill Belichick on sweeping the Jets:
    "Of course division games are important, no question. But we're not even at Thanksgiving yet. There's a lot of football left in the season. One football game won't win you much. But it's a good win and we're happy to have it. We have a lot of football left."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Cassel out for KC ...  not sure if that isn't a bad thing.  At least we know him.  Oh, well, ON TO THE FOOTBALL SEASON

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]Cassel out for KC ...  not sure if that isn't a bad thing.  At least we know him.  Oh, well, ON TO THE FOOTBALL SEASON

Can you please change the font of your modification for Wederwheeat?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: It isn't Thanksgiving yet.... : Can you please change the font of your modification for Wederwheeat?
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

Why?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: It isn't Thanksgiving yet.... : Why?
    I am sure it is not your intention, but it is annoying

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: It isn't Thanksgiving yet.... : I am sure it is not your intention, but it is annoying
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

LOL, done.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: It isn't Thanksgiving yet.... . I worry that the Pats post thanksgiving schedule is so easy that overconfidence creeps in though with the team.....Posted by ccnsd[/QUOTE]
    How is the Pats second half of the season any different than the first half of the Packers?  Green Bay has yet to play an opponent who can give them fits and put Rodgers on his A**.  The Pats have and made it to 6 - 3 with injuries and all.  If anything the Pats will pound their second half opponents like GB has pounded their first half opponents.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Re: It isn't Thanksgiving yet.... . I worry that the Pats post thanksgiving schedule is so easy that overconfidence creeps in though with the team.....Posted by ccnsd

I think it will be nice to rotate some guys and get a less high pressure opportunity to get it together.  I don't think overconfidence will be much of an issue with this team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

O.K.  as we officially approach Thanksgiving and the start of the 2nd Season, here we are 2-3 games up on the Jests and Bills, in control with some challenging but beatable teams left to play.  We are getting healthier, have begun to put some good efforts together defensively, and are seeing SOME (o.k. not too much) progress on the Ochocinco front.  Taylor Price, like Santa, may or may not exist, but Fat Albert is gone, and we are over the angst of that failure it seems.  Andre Carter is doing great, Ellis still isn't quite there yet, McCourty moved backwards then out, Arrington makes some errors but seems to be a playmaker with a nose for INTs.  Gronk is a monster, Hernandez stopped fumbling, and we have enough running backs for 3 teams.  Brady seems de-funked.  We are relatively troll free here on the board, and will not be looking at the same old playoff picture apparently.  It's a great time to be a Patriot fan, I know some here will talk about early exit from the playoffs the last two years, but hey, ANY exit is bad.  Only hoisting the Lombardi really counts for anything.  I'm psyched.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

They certainly looked better last week then they did in their first 2 after the bye. They made progress on D by leaps and bounds and the O ran fluidly when they actually mixed in the run. They also had a couple long time consuming dives in the end which is something they couldn't do against Pit or the Giants so it's very heartening. Not sure what we can really see against a horrible KC team this week but it did look like they are starting to put it together last week.

If they keep up with the aggressive attacking D, which hides the secondary, and continue to mix in runs at the right times to remained balanced then I'm liking the odds of them going far in the playoffs. But, if they revert to an all pass O and the D reverts back to a soft zone non-aggressive D then it might end up like last year and the year before.

They have a bunch of weaker teams on the schedule. This would be a great time to continue with the aggressive D to gain confidence and to get the RB's more involved in the O in preparation for the colder months when you will need the run game to carry a larger portion of the load

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I don't think it "hides" the secondary.  I think our lack of any kind of pass pressure exposes our secondary to the point where they can't cover.  Pressure is stopping QBs from being accurate, and they are more and more on the run and unable to have time to locate a reciever.  Not saying our DBs are killing it, I'm just saying maybe they weren't as bad as they looked.