It makes one wonder.. if the Pats hadn't lost to the 49'ers....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

It makes one wonder.. if the Pats hadn't lost to the 49'ers....

would they be the odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl?

When you follow all the playoff hype, so many pundits who are picking the Broncos are pointing at two things.. their 11 game winning streak and Manning as their QB.  No doubt, Manning, like Brady, gives their respective teams a lot of mojo to be the SB favorite.  But, that Bronco 11 game winning streak is it?  I wonder how the Broncos would have done if they had played back to back late season games against the Texans and the 49ers?  Many folks thought it would have been a tall order for the Pats to sweep those two teams given how they were playing at the time of their respective games.  I am still amazed at all the breaks the 49ers got in that game to win compared to the Pats.  Anyway...  one other thing, folks may also point to the defense of these two teams.  Broncos have a good one, but who did they play in that win streak?  Not a big issue when you finish the season against a 2 - 14 team with a very poor offense.  While the Pats have been coming on against what appears to be better caliber teams.  Let the arguments begin!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: It makes one wonder.. if the Pats hadn't lost to the 49'ers....

Besides (possibly) having to go into Mile High for the AFC Conference Championship, I actually think that loss was a blessing in disguise.  I think they're going to channel the 'underdog' mentality when (if) we go into Denver and play Peyton for the AFC Championship.  You know there is nobody better than BB to get his guys fired up about being the underdog in a championship type game. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to Jets' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey you guys have the pats in the AFC Championship game? I don't!

[/QUOTE] Took a wrong turn, I see!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Your guys almost saved Chan Gailey's job, and allowed Ralph Wilson to finally retire on a high note.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Well, since Ive booting talking up the Bengals, I would say the 2 seed is not so bad. I think the Bengals pose the biggest challenge between the 3-6 seeds, something the 2 will avoid until at least the championship game.

Pats are 2-2 in there last 4 home playoff games, 6-2 at home and 6-2 on the road this season. Home field also hasn't been that big a factor in recent years.

Beter team will win, regardless of where they play. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

what's it matter? they shouldn't have lost to the crows, cards or seahags

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Took a wrong turn, I see!

[/QUOTE]

Naw...he thought it was still 1969. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

that's ok, go help sancheez pull his head out of somone's butt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have the Jets still suck on who should there head coach, starting quarterback etc....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

yes, no doubt. the only reason why denver is the favorite now is because they have the home field advantage. the patriots can and should still win in denver though. if they play their game they definitely will win.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

ignore the troll and he will go away! My only concern about Denver in the playoffs is we traditionally dont play very well there, and with the altitude it may take away our hurry up offense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ignore the troll and he will go away! My only concern about Denver in the playoffs is we traditionally dont play very well there, and with the altitude it may take away our hurry up offense.

[/QUOTE]

Plus Denver has two WR's at 6'3". This causes matchup problems. 

Talib 6'1"

DMC 5'10"

Dennard 5'10"

Chung 5'11"

Gregory 5'11"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I think you can safely throw the records out at this point. Should this match-up occur (and I have trouble imagining a scenario in which it does not), who these guys were playing a few weeks before isn't going to matter. Previous Patriot editions have proven that the bye week is not necessarily a good thing, just as an early-season match-up between these two teams indicate that the Pats are the cat and Denver is the mouse. That said, none of that stuff matters.

I see this:

The home-field advantage for Denver is a real thing. New England is notorious for blowing late leads and this problem is magnified exponentially by playing in the thin air. It's obvious enough that the Pats must play keep-away and give their defense a blow at every opportunity. Sadly, this is not New England's strength.

Manning is the master of the purposefully underthrown ball and the size advantage BradyMossfan mentions is going to have the yellow laundry flying in New England's face all night. My over/under on marginal defensive holding and interference penalties is 7. Couple that with the Manning "comeback" story in a league that hasn't done much to distance itself from conspiracy theories, and you've got a recipe for a redux of the 2006 AFC Championship game in Indy.

I'm no fan of statements like "such-and-so team is not as good as its record." The Broncos played their schedule and happily obliged when both the Pats and the Texans gacked up golden opportunities to control their own destiny, so to coin the phrase that I am coming to hate more than any other . . .   it is what it is.

The Pats have shown they can beat this team, and that rather handily, but there are plenty of reasons to suspect -- in your heart of hearts -- that they won't.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Not that it matters, but as it relates to conspiracies about interference penalties in a potential patriots/broncos matchup - it should be known that Brady has drawn 3 more DPI calls from officials this year than Manning for 43 more yards according to Football Outsiders. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i have the jets vs dolphins

[/QUOTE]

I have the JESTS! vs Cardinals, JESTS! +1/2. Over/Under is 9 1/2. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not that it matters, but as it relates to conspiracies about interference penalties in a potential patriots/broncos matchup - it should be known that Brady has drawn 3 more DPI calls from officials this year than Manning for 43 more yards according to Football Outsiders. 

[/QUOTE] THANKS for the info UD...  it goes without saying, though, Manning has had more than his fair share of heaves down field resulting in the dreaded PI call, no matter who the opponent is, all too often.  Seems both Mannings have that "heave and pray" mentality, doesn't it?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] THANKS for the info UD...  it goes without saying, though, Manning has had more than his fair share of heaves down field resulting in the dreaded PI call, no matter who the opponent is, all too often.  Seems both Mannings have that "heave and pray" mentality, doesn't it?

[/QUOTE]AGC - I don't really know about the "heave and pray" mentality.  I was just commenting on the idea that should the match up happen, that the refs will be on Manning's side. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Talib 6'1"

DMC 5'10"

Dennard 5'10"

Chung 5'11"

Gregory 5'11"

[/QUOTE]

More important is this guy named MANNING.

Disregarding the possibility of playing, and losing the AFCCG in Denver is foolish. Ignoring past Patriot experiences in Denver is dumb. Not taking Manning into consideration when mentioning playing in Denver and the past efforts there is, well, just plain stupid.

IF they do go to Denver and somehow lose, I can just see all those conspiracy hounds whining: refs, illegal plays not called against the Brokebacks, Welker dropped another well-overthrown pass, injuries, etc.

If you ignore history, you're doomed to repeat it. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think it depends on how we beat the 49ers, for instance if we were able to score 30 points on them and say hold them to 17-20 points...then yeah, I'd say we'd be the favorites. Plus you have to factor in that we'd have home field advantage. In reality what happened was we let a rookie QB score 40 points on us at home...in the cold, and we don't have home field heading into the playoffs. So I think we are considered the second best favorite for a reason right now, however second best isn't bad at all. All we have to do is win our next two to get there...sure could happen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to AZPAT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Talib 6'1"

DMC 5'10"

Dennard 5'10"

Chung 5'11"

Gregory 5'11"

[/QUOTE]

More important is this guy named MANNING.

Disregarding the possibility of playing, and losing the AFCCG in Denver is foolish. Ignoring past Patriot experiences in Denver is dumb. Not taking Manning into consideration when mentioning playing in Denver and the past efforts there is, well, just plain stupid.

IF they do go to Denver and somehow lose, I can just see all those conspiracy hounds whining: refs, illegal plays not called against the Brokebacks, Welker dropped another well-overthrown pass, injuries, etc.

If you ignore history, you're doomed to repeat it. 

[/QUOTE]

Its a good point about Manning.  Football Outsiders ranks receivers (as well as other players, etc.).  Last year among receivers Thomas 62nd DYAR (total value) and 62nd DVOA (value per play) while Decker was 71st and 72nd.  I could not find Stokley ranked. 

This year Thomas is ranked 3rd and 13th, Decker is 4th and 8th, Stokely is 20th and 2nd. 

Don't discount this as simply Manning propping, I believe Brady would have done the same for the receivers, but as AZ notes, its not so much the receivers as it is the QB.