It'll be another uneventful draft..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

It'll be another uneventful draft..

Face it, it will be BB trading out and down all over the draft board in order to stockpile more picks he "won't use" or to accumulate mediocre value talent which will have zero impact on the Pats next season.
    What good is accumulating all these picks if you never spend them to lets say MOVE UP once in a while to get a playmaker? I just don't understand this obsession with accumulating picks. It;s not like we even trade them for FA's. Move up for once..would it kill them?? We need a few playmakers. And I don't want to hear this garbage that "the second round is like an extension of first round" Bull****!, that's just BB speak for "get ready for us to trade out of the first round! That's his same shpeel every draft.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Re: It'll be another uneventful draft..

In Bill We Trust

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dantehopkins. Show dantehopkins's posts

In Response to It'll be another uneventful draft..:
    Face it, it will be BB trading out and down all over the draft board in order to stockpile more picks he "won't use" or to accumulate mediocre value talent which will have zero impact on the Pats next season. What good is accumulating all these picks if you never spend them to lets say MOVE UP once in a while to get a playmaker? I just don't understand this obsession with accumulating picks. It;s not like we even trade them for FA's. Move up for once..would it kill them?? We need a few playmakers. And I don't want to hear this garbage that "the second round is like an extension of first round" Bull****!, that's just BB speak for "get ready for us to trade out of the first round! That's his same shpeel every draft.
    Posted by smorgan86

Yes, you're a very knowledgable fan of the Patriots.  Obviously.

In exchange for Welker, the Patriots sent their 2007 second- and seventh-round draft picks to Miami.

The Patriots traded their fourth-round pick (No. 110 overall) to Oakland for WR Randy Moss. The Raiders selected CB John Bowie.

Enough said...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

yes because moving down or out has never helped us in the past (incase you can't tell I'm rolling my eyes). He's also never picked impact players in the early or late rounds (again rolling my eyes) I expect more of 09' draft this year then a 08' draft. He's already expressed that he feels the amount of talent this year is the most he's seen in a large time and he thinks that will hurt next years draft. Now in weaker drafts he has stock piled picks (which I think he'll try to do next year) but he's also shown to spend picks in stronger drafts like last year and 05'. Have a little faith and see what happens

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RealtyPats. Show RealtyPats's posts

I hope we do trade down, and get another 2nd rounder and an additional one next year.  4 2nd rounders this year could really help.

I'll take a boring draft for a champsionship

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Face it, it will be BB trading out and down all over the draft board in order to stockpile more picks he "won't use" or to accumulate mediocre value talent which will have zero impact on the Pats next season. What good is accumulating all these picks if you never spend them to lets say MOVE UP once in a while to get a playmaker? I just don't understand this obsession with accumulating picks. It;s not like we even trade them for FA's. Move up for once..would it kill them?? We need a few playmakers. And I don't want to hear this garbage that "the second round is like an extension of first round" Bull****!, that's just BB speak for "get ready for us to trade out of the first round! That's his same shpeel every draft.
    Posted by smorgan86

Either you are a TROLL or an IDIOT.....Which is it?

How often do we trade out of the first round?

This draft is THE deepest draft in years because there are more underclassmen declaring because of the possible rookie salary cap nest year....

You might want to do some research before making more idiotic posts like this one.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joakimbrian. Show Joakimbrian's posts

in BB we trust

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to It'll be another uneventful draft..: Thank you. Last year was the worst. Oher fell to us and we deal him to Baltimore to add a #6. Then with the new number one, we trade it to Green Bay so they could pick the guy we could have used: First year Pro Bowler Mathews. For the number of picks we have had the last 5 years, the history stinks. The Jets and Miami caught us in talent as a result.
    Posted by smorgan86

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Here's a thought.  Maybe the Pats were preparing?

You have a bunch of guys that are looking at retirement.  Certain contracts are coming up and you have the knowledge of which ones you want to try to resign and those you are willing to say good-bye to.  Any way you slice it it means you're loosing some players.  Some very good players.  You make plans to recover as quickly as possible from the exodus.  A couple of years before the exodus happens you start positioning yourself around the drafts where this event is to occur.

There is a part 2 to this.  You don't trade picks to lose value.  Teams pay a price to move up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

The Pats will move around or not depending on who's available.  That's the same formula they've used since 2000. They've drafted in their slot, traded up, down and out accordingly. I don't see them trading into 2011 unless it's a byproduct.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: It'll be another uneventful draft..:
    In Response to It'll be another uneventful draft.. : Let me guess, you are 18-20 years old.
    Posted by russgriswold

He also wears a pink Pats hat.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KellieMB. Show KellieMB's posts

In Response to It'll be another uneventful draft.. : Either you are a TROLL or an IDIOT.....Which is it? How often do we trade out of the first round? This draft is THE deepest draft in years because there are more underclassmen declaring because of the possible rookie salary cap nest year.... You might want to do some research before making more idiotic posts like this one.....  
    Posted by m1021us

I've thought he was a troll for a while because all he does is post negative stuff about the Pats. Just look at his last 10 posts, every single one was bashing BB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Posted by smorgan86

Huh?????

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RealtyPats. Show RealtyPats's posts

m1

Why is it idoitic to trade out of the 1st round this year because it's such a deep draft. If the draft is so "deep" then wouldn't there be more highly rated players in the 2nd round.  I could see trading out of the 1st round this year for pic/pics next year but trading our 1st this year for a 2nd this year under the theory that there will still be a player that has 1st round grades that you can get with your 2nd round pic and then getting another pic on top of that.  Does that not make sense?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichaelBeane. Show MichaelBeane's posts

Posted by smorgan86

If he were, this is what Reese might point to. Brandt, an analyst for NFL.com, keeps track of how drafts pan out. The Giants have had 24 picks in the last three years — Reese’s tenure — and by Brandt’s count, seven of them are starters, nine are backups and just one is out of the N.F.L. The Patriots, considered astute drafters, have had 28 picks in that time. Four are starters and eight are backups. Seven are out of the league.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Posted by smorgan86

Do you really think that you know better than BB and the entire Pats' draft organization? Trust me, they'll pass on your lunchbucket wisdom. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

m1 Why is it idoitic to trade out of the 1st round this year because it's such a deep draft. If the draft is so "deep" then wouldn't there be more highly rated players in the 2nd round.  I could see trading out of the 1st round this year for pic/pics next year but trading our 1st this year for a 2nd this year under the theory that there will still be a player that has 1st round grades that you can get with your 2nd round pic and then getting another pic on top of that.  Does that not make sense?
    Posted by RealtyPats

I didn't mean it that way....I have no problem if the Pats trade thier first for a couple of seconds.....

I was kind of POed because of his uneventful draft comment....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

In Response to Re: It'll be another uneventful draft.. : He also wears a pink Pats hat.....
    Posted by m1021us

That's it..you nailed it on the head. For your information I've been a fan for 30 years. Just because I don't have ultimate faith in BB at this point doesn't mean I know nothing. Problem here is that everyone seems to be on either the PFW payroll or the Globes'. I guess you all have ultimate faith in your government as well! All this "In Bill We Trust" crap is just people afriad to go against the grain. Get a brain and your own thoughts for cryin' out loud. Nobody from the Patriots pays you do they?? So why not be critical when it's warranted??
    Bottom line is they DO move down during the draft more often than not and in my opinion their last few dafts have been mediocre...shoot me I guess

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

If you've been following them that long then you must know BB does things logically and with purpose.  You'd also know they've done quite well with drafting.  Last year was not mediocre at all.  They traded very effectively in 2007 (Moss & Welker) in addition to getting Meriweather (plus the pick that lead to Mayo).  The results of 2008 aren't in by any means but Mayo and Guyton are keepers. Wilhite is at least a nickelback. Several other prior picks are still with the club and are part of the solid vet core.

They've moved moved up, down and out.  All depending on who's available and what they can get.  I can think of at least 3 times they moved up.  Two of them are stars with the team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

If the draft is as deep as they say it is this year, we can assume that at least 2 of the 3 second round picks this year would be first round picks any other year.  If there was ever a year to have 4 picks in the first two rounds, this is it.  What can be better than coming away with 3 or 4 1st round quality picks in a single draft?

Of course, all this depends on us finding quality talent.  I hope 2009 signaled the beginning of a string of good drafts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: It'll be another uneventful draft.. : That's it..you nailed it on the head. For your information I've been a fan for 30 years. Just because I don't have ultimate faith in BB at this point doesn't mean I know nothing. Problem here is that everyone seems to be on either the PFW payroll or the Globes'. I guess you all have ultimate faith in your government as well! All this "In Bill We Trust" crap is just people afriad to go against the grain. Get a brain and your own thoughts for cryin' out loud. Nobody from the Patriots pays you do they?? So why not be critical when it's warranted?? Bottom line is they DO move down during the draft more often than not and in my opinion their last few dafts have been mediocre...shoot me I guess
    Posted by smorgan86

I'll overlook the generalization as well as being described as brainless.  We all have our ways of expressing ourselves and yours, albeit interesting, is indeed yours.

I love the use of the word mediocre when it comes to evaluating a draft that was only last year.  In the first place, drafts can only be evaluated a couple of years after they occur in any meaningful sense.  In the second place, Volmer and Butler were hardly mediocre in their rookie seaons and Chung showed some promise.  Brace I will grant you was not on the short list for defensive rookie of the year.

Finally, simply because we happen to agree with BB's approach (last time I looked it's placed us in 4 S/B's, 3 of which we won) doesn't make us party-line-gobblers.  Speaking for myself, I like the way BB does business and what he's done with the team.  For this you accuse me of being brainless? Please.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

In Response to Re: It'll be another uneventful draft.. : I'll overlook the generalization as well as being described as brainless.  We all have our ways of expressing ourselves and yours, albeit interesting, is indeed yours. I love the use of the word mediocre when it comes to evaluating a draft that was only last year.  In the first place, drafts can only be evaluated a couple of years after they occur in any meaningful sense.  In the second place, Volmer and Butler were hardly mediocre in their rookie seaons and Chung showed some promise.  Brace I will grant you was not on the short list for defensive rookie of the year. Finally, simply because we happen to agree with BB's approach (last time I looked it's placed us in 4 S/B's, 3 of which we won) doesn't make us party-line-gobblers.  Speaking for myself, I like the way BB does business and what he's done with the team.  For this you accuse me of being brainless? Please.
    Posted by ATJ

I;m not disagreeing with anything BB has done in the past to get us to SB's..BUT, what he's done recently begs the question of "has he lost his touch"? Last years draft in my opinion was a "C" grade draft at best. Vollmer is a keeper , granted, but the jury is out on the rest of them..DB's take time to develop so we'll see on Butler and Chung. Whilhite stinks, Brace isn't a stud..or hasn't showed that he will be, and prior to that this Brandon Tate is another WR bust contrary to all the love he seems to get on this forum.
    PLUS, when you couple an average draft with poor FA aquisitions that makes matters worse. Last year the FA pick ups were HORRIBLE! You can't argue that point. So, that brings us to this year. FA activity was nonexistant so the draft better reap some benefits wouldn't you say? To me trading down is smart ONLY of there are players or a player you covet that you can get later on down the board..otherwise it's foolish in my opinion to trade down for the sake of trading down just to be frugal. I find it hard to believe that there is no player in Round 1 that can help the Patriots or that BB wouldn;t mind having. Problem is they always attach a price to it. Sometimes you do get what you pay for so why not roll the dice once in a while and move up or at the very least stay put to get a stud player?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

smorgan-

Last year the FA pick ups were HORRIBLE!
    Wrong.....Leigh Bodden was a great signing!  Tully Banta-Cain had a decent amount of sacks

Brandon Tate is another WR bust contrary to all the love he seems to get on this forum
    Wrong....he was injured his Senior year and was not able to recover for the 2009 season.  He has not had the chance to prove himself?  How is he a bust?

Last years draft in my opinion was a "C" grade draft at best
    Even with drafting Julian Edelman in the 7th round?  They picked up 2 2nd round picks (for 3rd round picks) for this years draft, which needs to be included in your draft grade!

FA activity was nonexistant
    Are you disappointed they did not pick up a couple of 10 million a year players?

And I don't want to hear this garbage that "the second round is like an extension of first round" Bull****!, that's just BB speak for "get ready for us to trade out of the first round!
    Actually that is coming from most NFL GM'S and NFL Columnists.  What makes you the expert?

Are you hoping they trade their entire draft to move up and get Suh?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

It will most definitely be an eventful draft. Belichick spoke recently about having the flexibility to move up and being able to get there with the number of picks they have this year. link

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Last years draft in my opinion was a "C" grade draft at best

If that's a C, there must be about 30 teams that flunked.  The got a starting  L or RT. A CB who has already shown the ability to be a starter.  A strong staftey who has great promise. Most DBs take at least two years to show much, even Revis took 2 years. In addition they got a bonifide slot WR, a KR-WR who had first round potential until he got hurt (and is now fully healthy), a serviceable reserve DL, and a LB who should make an impact.  ..Yes and the two #2s for this year.  This is at least a B and probably an A. Ya Brace wasn't good - at least yet. The lone disappointment.

Sections
Shortcuts