It's about "Balance"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: It's about

"Ah Laz that explaines half the posts around here,you know FF just warps your mind just like smoking dope. FF has as much to do with football as watching dancing with the stars or eating 5 pacs of weiners and going to grammas house and barfing all over her and yelling touchdown."

At 1st I said to myself, "WhatInTH does watching Dancing with the Stars, eating hot dogs, then going over to me-me's house and barfin' all over her, Have ta do with ANY-thing...?!?!"  Then I said, "Laz, herein lies the heart of what's been your greatest obstacle in life- You take people's words in an utterly exacting, absolute, black & white, cut n dry, precise manner...you are definately the epitome of pretty d#mn st#p#d like that, laz."

Either way though, I can't eat over grandma's house any longer...  She's 91.  And it really ain't that, b/c she brings 1st generation old school Sicilian fare to the table...it's my brother who's been takin' care of her.  Which, neither in itself is the REAL issue...THE "issue", was when my brother told me that the insides of her #ssh#le were now on the "outsides".  Which again, wasn't the REALLY bothersome issue...  The REALLY "bothersome issue" occured in the visualization anecdotal offered from Scott, AFTER He revealed this to me- 

Let's just say it had to do with a man vs. Food Mussel eating contest, with a table, a table skirt, a hole in the center of the table, and someone of mention rear-up underneath it...  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"lol^  that's the funniest thing I've read on here in a while...Balance is key, even if the run isn't effective you can't abandon it to keep the defense honest."

P-shhh...  "Honest"-schmonest, see the real trick in winning Big Games, Superbowls, and throughout the playoffs vs the Best D's, Is not running the ball at all.  So wozzy, it's pretty silly to bring up "abandoning something" that'cha never use, have, should use, should do, or ever do. 

IF I'm Offensive Coordinator, it'd go like this:

1st and Goal from the 1-

Shotgun spread formation pass.

2nd and goal from the 1-

3rd and goal from the 1-

Shotgun spread formation pass-

4th and goal from the 1-

Drop kick from the Shotgun spread formation-

~~

Say there's a minute 10 left in the final stages of a Pats Superbowl, NE up by 2 and there was a TO on downs with NE beginning this final game drive at the 50-

^ See above...except on 4th down:  Shotgun spread formation pass.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The best offense is a dynamic one that has balance. Old news - everyone knows this.

The new news is that we finally had a running game going well enough to be balanced. Not just the type of running game where a defense can say...hey, we can live with that...an average back that even if he gets past the line of scrimmage is not going to beat us with his average strength, lack of moves or 4.7 speed. But a running game that is a bit dynamic - runners that have some quickness and some power that can and will hurt your defense. That is when a defense worries about a running game and starts bringing guys up to stop it (leaving play action wide open). Brady went on the radio Monday morning and said as much. Dynamic. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to LazarusintheSanatorium's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"lol^  that's the funniest thing I've read on here in a while...Balance is key, even if the run isn't effective you can't abandon it to keep the defense honest."

P-shhh...  "Honest"-schmonest, see the real trick in winning Big Games, Superbowls, and throughout the playoffs vs the Best D's, Is not running the ball at all.  So wozzy, it's pretty silly to bring up "abandoning something" that'cha never use, have, should use, should do, or ever do. 

1st and Goal from the 1-

2nd and goal from the 1-

3rd and goal from the 1-

4th and goal from the 1-

~~

Say there's a minute 10 left in the final stages of a Pats Superbowl, NE up by 2 and there was a TO on downs with NE beginning this final game drive at the 50-

[/QUOTE]

I let BB figure out the balance. How about you?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"I let BB figure out the balance. How about you?"

I don't make excuses in order to discount the errs of anyone else, nor futively attempt to dispel my own.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

"I let BB figure out the balance. How about you?"

I don't make excuses in order to discount the errs of anyone else, nor futively attempt to dispel my own.

[/QUOTE]

Righto. It's a bad idea to do those things. Glad to see you're attempting to turn over a new leaf.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Balance, balance, balance... Yes but you get balance in a MEANINGFUL way only when the running game is good enough to demand the D take it seriously. And no running game is that good unless you have both the blocking and the backs. We had that v Bills. Having Fells available as a 2nd TE helps to keep both passing and running a strong option. Having Ridley and Bolden run aggressively is key. Having TB means if the D plays it straight with both personnel and scheme then TB should usually be throwing it - though some mix to keep it honest and in situations and/OR matchups where running is a solid option. Even in the case of "keep running until they prove they can stop it". With a TB biased pass first to take advantage oif TB, Gronk, Wes, Lloyd, etc. that would look like imbalance but only in as much as we take full advantage of a D not focused more on Brady.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Talking the running game talk is fine and dandy. Walking the running game walk isn't so easy.

So far the run looks to be more effective than in the past. I hope that ends up being the case because effective running is a huge help to any offense.

And I'm all for handing it off late in a SB and seeing our backs rip the opposing D when it counts. But that just hasn't happened in the last two of them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thats why Houston is going to be a tough team, very tough team. In 4 games Schaub has had only 1- 300 yard passing game. Foster has had 3 100+ rushing games.

They do basic Football, Control the Line of Scrimmage, Keep 3rd downs manageable, Great Defense, and dont make mistakes. (turnovers and costly penalties).

4-0 with only 1- 300 yard passing game for the QB, in todays NFL Passing League. Hows that?

Texans are probably the most balance team in the NFL, and they will be tough to beat.

[/QUOTE]

The toughest team they played was Denver and they nearly lost it.  I imagine the Pats would be 4-0 too with their schedule.  Their D is good but again who have they played?

Foster has only had 2 100rd games, not 3 and their most balanced game was against Denver.  How many of their scores were defensive?  A lot can change from now to week 14 but so far, they don't scare me. .Think they're a little over rated..  Also think Shaub throws more against the Pats.  Hopefully they can cause those fumbles and picks in the cold december snow. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Being the 9ERS gashed the Jests for 245 on the ground wait till the Texans get a hold of them on Monday night. Embarassed at home after skunkage. Good thing the blueprint was laid out *suck for Luck* to lock them right in to WVA QB Geno Smith.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

1st and Goal from the 1-

2nd and goal from the 1-

3rd and goal from the 1-

4th and goal from the 1-

~~

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'll let Josh do it, because Obie couldn't figure it out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[/QUOTE]

I'll let Josh do it, because Obie couldn't figure it out.

[/QUOTE]

Well, OB was 3-1 to McD's 2-2 so far.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thats why Houston is going to be a tough team, very tough team. In 4 games Schaub has had only 1- 300 yard passing game. Foster has had 3 100+ rushing games.

They do basic Football, Control the Line of Scrimmage, Keep 3rd downs manageable, Great Defense, and dont make mistakes. (turnovers and costly penalties).

4-0 with only 1- 300 yard passing game for the QB, in todays NFL Passing League. Hows that?

Texans are probably the most balance team in the NFL, and they will be tough to beat.

[/QUOTE]

at teh end of last year i started a thread "who will be the toughest competion for the pats to win the afc. houston was by far the team i feared. we will see how it plays out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Being the 9ERS gashed the Jests for 245 on the ground wait till the Texans get a hold of them on Monday night. Embarassed at home after skunkage. Good thing the blueprint was laid out *suck for Luck* to lock them right in to WVA QB Geno Smith.

[/QUOTE]

they got a shot

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

No, pass it to Welker 50 times. That's how we've won SBs the last 5 years....right?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The best offense is a dynamic one that has balance. Old news - everyone knows this.

The new news is that we finally had a running game going well enough to be balanced. Not just the type of running game where a defense can say...hey, we can live with that...an average back that even if he gets past the line of scrimmage is not going to beat us with his average strength, lack of moves or 4.7 speed. But a running game that is a bit dynamic - runners that have some quickness and some power that can and will hurt your defense. That is when a defense worries about a running game and starts bringing guys up to stop it (leaving play action wide open). Brady went on the radio Monday morning and said as much. Dynamic. 

[/QUOTE]

i said thid last year. imagine some others here did too re run threat to make def's honest. (as well as the outside wr to have a full complement of threats so d will have no easy gaemplan). now as long as josh uses them wisely, we should be good there. (for last 2 games and 1 half, he did not

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Wozzy, True Champ, Rusty and a few others hated Bill O'Brien despite the fact that under him the Pats had one of the most effective offenses in the NFL, one of the best regular season records in the NFL, and got to a Super Bowl--all despite a defense that wasn't very good and a running game that was just mediocre. I like where josh is taking the offense this year, but I think O'Brien gets a bum rap for what he did. First of all the Pats were not as unbalanced as people think. They ran on 4 of every ten plays which is just below the NFL average. But beyond that o'brien developed a very interesting hurry up approach that allowed the Pats to get a lot of points out of an offense that in my opinion had a few top-notch players but lacked diversity or depth in talent.  In my opinion beyond brady, the two TEs and Welker, last year's offense was severely lacking in talent (at the skill positions).  I like Benny's attitude and work ethic, but I simply am not convinced that running him more would have produced greater offensive success. It seems to me that whenever defenses are expecting him to run they stop him after a yard or two. He gets most of his yardage when teams aren't focusing on the run. Ridley always impressed me but the coaches apparently weren't fully confident in him last year. Branch is on the downside of his career, Ocho is done, and Edelman is only so-so. O'brien decided to focus on the team's strengths and force defenses to try to keep up. For the most part it worked. Mostly it failed against teams that were tough at the LOS and could overwhelm our o-line.  Would running more have helped with those teams? Maybe, but only if we could run effectively when teams were expecting the run. As it is, when the run was expected, I think Benny was ineffective, rarely getting any extra yards on his own. And he was one-dimensional himself, running mostly inside and not having the speed to regularly succeed running outside.  I could be wrong of course, but I have faith in the coaches to make the right decisions and until I see Benny averaging 4.5 ypc or more in Cincy I'll continue to think there's a good reason why BB decided to let Benny walk when he could have signed him for a pretty reasonable amount for a veteran back. O'Brien didn't make at personnel decision, BB and  josh did. I think it reflectstheir assessment of the talent and it's pretty consistent with my own.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

No, pass it to Welker 50 times. That's how we've won SBs the last 5 years....right?

[/QUOTE]

We ran it 499 times in '06 (6th). Didn't win a SB.

We ran it 513 times in 2008 (4th). Didn't win a SB.

Doesn't seem like how many times we run it is the determining factor as to if when we win a SB.

Seems more like if the defense doesn't collapse at the end of the game we win a SB if we happen to be in it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]We ran it 499 times in '06 (6th). Didn't win a SB.

Doesn't seem like how many times we run it is the determining factor as to if when we win a SB.

Seems more like if the defense doesn't collapse at the end of the game we win a SB if we happen to be in it.
    [/QUOTE]

How to win the Super Bowl...

1) Get there
    2) Play mistake free

The Patriots have #1 figured out. They need to get better at #2.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Again, see here, It has ABSOLUTELY Nothing to do with a balanced attack, and THREAT of a balanced Offensive gameplan...  See, these ESPN Boston stats PROVE it once and for all:

~~~

Continuing to monitor a trend of quarterback Tom Brady and the shotgun snap, let's update the numbers from Sunday's win over the Bills:

Usage of the shotgun

at Bills: 30 of 77 (6 runs, 24 passes)
    WIN: 52-28...  NE's 2nd Win this year thus far, & the 2nd least percentage of shotgun looks from scrimmage.
    at Ravens: 41 of 82 (6 runs, 34 passes, 1 fumbled snap)
    LOSS: 31-30...  NE's 2nd Loss this year thus far, & the 2nd most percentage of shotgun looks from scrimmage.
    vs. Cardinals: 47 of 82 (9 runs, 38 passes)
    LOSS: 20-18...  NE's WORST Offensive showing thus far this year & the greatest percentage of shotgun plays.
    at Titans: 13 of 67 (0 runs, 13 passes)
    WIN: 34-13...  NE's most lopsided win, dominating performance & best showing thus far this year & the least percentage of shotgun plays.

It's plain as day=You pass all day long from the shotgun...and baby, Ya better make room for that SB trophy in advance, 'cause it's YOURS!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[/QUOTE]

How to win the Super Bowl...

1) Get there
    2) Play mistake free

The Patriots have #1 figured out. They need to get better at #2.

Digger, fyi: IF there's no link to a source, odds are babe's fudging the numbers.  In either event, there's always gonna be zero viable reference point regardless, such as:  Year rankings EACH season (with source), and final W-L and ultimate playoff results, and/or yearly rankings of other top teams in final year end rushing rankings (and source), their W-L and how THEY fared in ultimate playoff results, and/or simply games lost/playoff contests Won AND Lost (by NE), and those games rushing vs passing attempts (yea...AND at least a page shout-out to it's source). 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

Again, see here, It has ABSOLUTELY Nothing to do with a balanced attack, and THREAT of a balanced Offensive gameplan...  See, these ESPN Boston stats PROVE it once and for all:

~~~

Continuing to monitor a trend of quarterback Tom Brady and the shotgun snap, let's update the numbers from Sunday's win over the Bills:

Usage of the shotgun

at Bills: 30 of 77 (6 runs, 24 passes)
    WIN: 52-28...  NE's 2nd Win this year thus far, & the 2nd least percentage of shotgun looks from scrimmage.
    at Ravens: 41 of 82 (6 runs, 34 passes, 1 fumbled snap)
    LOSS: 31-30...  NE's 2nd Loss this year thus far, & the 2nd most percentage of shotgun looks from scrimmage.
    vs. Cardinals: 47 of 82 (9 runs, 38 passes)
    LOSS: 20-18...  NE's WORST Offensive showing thus far this year & the greatest percentage of shotgun plays.
    at Titans: 13 of 67 (0 runs, 13 passes)
    WIN: 34-13...  NE's most lopsided win, dominating performance & best showing thus far this year & the least percentage of shotgun plays.

It's plain as day=You pass all day long from the shotgun...and baby, Ya better make room for that SB trophy in advance, 'cause it's YOURS!!!

[/QUOTE]
    Cardinals loss was a cluster of off balances plays and at least 5 drives were killed by ineffective running resulting in 3rd and longs and sacks.  One time they ran the ball on a 3rd and 14????  They didn't even score a TD UNTIL they went spread and the majority of that was in the 4th and too late.

The Ravens loss ... Really?  They scored 30 points, had a 14 and 9 pt lead which the D lost and the RB's were averaging less than 3 ypc.   Did you really expect them to stay with the 2.3 ypc backs?   Again, there was a blown FG and some very ignorant play calling at the end. 

Oh yeah, most importantly, Godell ordered the zebra's to take those game from the Pats.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Laurence Malrony, one of BB biggest mistakes,the Pats became Indy but without a running back and set back new england 3-4 years.Imagine if the Pats had drafted addi,or at least BJGE completely different team on offence."

See, IF one could just somehow re-move that ol' sticky, game-altering "Hitting" aspect of running with the football...maybe instead, change tackling/hitting instead with something really close, but slightly less-demanding (like "hair-styling")...then I'ma go on record right here and now to say that:  I have no doubt -  I have little doubt -  I have slightly lesser doubt - doubts, that Laurence Maroney, could be - might one day become, just perhaps, maybe, might have one day become, sometime in the past- EVEN BETTER than a bottom 1/3rd 1/4th 1/8th, NFL starting - NFL paycheck receiving/53 man roster 53 man roster + Practice squad= Decent Viable Serviceable errr- Breathing Runningback.

I mean I'll go on record, right now with that creed...Both in an unaplogetic manner, that in all honesty, is almost nearly certain of it's claim.

Sections
Shortcuts