It's Austin Collie Time

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Re: It's Austin Collie Time

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll repost the stats from the Roddy White thread, for those of you claiming the rookies are not living up to your expectations.

Roddy White's rookie year:  16 games, 8 starts, 29 recepts, 446 yds, 15.4 ypc, 3 TDs

Aaron Dobson's rookie year: 12 games, 9 starts, 37 recepts, 519 yds, 14.0 ypc, 4 TDs

Kenbrell Thompkins' rookie year: 12 games, 8 starts, 32 recepts, 466 yds, 14.6 ypc, 4 TDs

Some other first year WRs:

Hines Ward: 15 recepts, 0 TDs

Michael Irvin: 30 recepts, 5 TDs, followed that up with 26 and 20 catches and 7 total TDs in his next 2 years

Steve Smith: 10 recepts, 0 TDs

Vincent Jackson: 30 recepts, 6 TDs, in his first 2 seasons combined...

Reggie Wayne: 20 recepts, 0 TDs

Stanley Morgan: 21 recepts, 3 TDs

Tim Brown: Caught 43 and 5 TDs his first year, then went 1/0, 18/3 and 36/5 his next three seasons (ended up with over 1,000 catches and 100 TDs)

Cris Carter: First four years, averaged 29 recepts and almost 6 TDs per year, but the TDs were skewed because he caught 11 in one year in Philly (didn't catch that many again until his 9th year).

Wes Welker: 29 recepts, 0 TDs

Eric Decker: 6 recepts, 1 TD

Jordy Nelson:  33 recepts, 2 TDs

Demaryius Thomas: 22 recepts, 2 TDs

[/QUOTE]

To me this only furthers my point.   The rookie production is not bad when measured against rookie standards.   But players rarely reach their full potential in their first year (as shown with these stats).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm hesitant to be throwing the ball KT's way in the playoffs.  He's been too inconsistent down the stretch.  Give him another year to develop and I think he can be a solid contributor next year.

I disagree on Dobson.  When he's healthy, he changes games.  You could see Brady put more trust in him as the season grew.  Injuries have only hampered him.  If he's healthy for this weekend, he will be playing and contributing.

As for Collie, the guy is automatic.  I would like to see him get 15-20 snaps this week, especially in 3rd and long situations.  If Brady throws it to him, he's going to catch it.  How is Collie as a run blocker?  I haven't gone over enough film of this year except for about 3 games, so I have missed that aspect of his game.

[/QUOTE]

As much as I love the guy, that's not his strong suit.

[/QUOTE]

They actually used Slater on some of the running downs, especially near the goal line. He made a couple nice blocks that I saw.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

I'll repost the stats from the Roddy White thread, for those of you claiming the rookies are not living up to your expectations.

Roddy White's rookie year:  16 games, 8 starts, 29 recepts, 446 yds, 15.4 ypc, 3 TDs

Aaron Dobson's rookie year: 12 games, 9 starts, 37 recepts, 519 yds, 14.0 ypc, 4 TDs

Kenbrell Thompkins' rookie year: 12 games, 8 starts, 32 recepts, 466 yds, 14.6 ypc, 4 TDs

Michael Irvin: 30 recepts, 5 TDs, followed that up with 26 and 20 catches and 7 total TDs in his next 2 years

Tim Brown: Caught 43 and 5 TDs his first year, then went 1/0, 18/3 and 36/5 his next three seasons (ended up with over 1,000 catches and 100 TDs)

Cris Carter: First four years, averaged 29 recepts and almost 6 TDs per year, but the TDs were skewed because he caught 11 in one year in Philly (didn't catch that many again until his 9th year).

[/QUOTE]

I understand all this...I do, but you failed to list the rookies who had great rookie seasons and there are just as many...if not more. Terry Glenn had 90 catches (and muzz I'm giving estimates here, so don't go calling me a politician)...Moss had 70...Holt had 50...Fitzgerald had 58...Keyshawn Johnson had 63...Calvin Johnson had 58...Deion Branch had 40 something. And most of those guys didn't have good quarterbacks throwing them the ball, or were givin the oppurtunities our rookies were (in terms of playing time and having no one else be the focus of the offense, at least at first).

I do agree with you, and I'm hoping at least Dobson will turn into a 70 catch a year guy. I don't know about Thompkins. And going into the season I thought Boyce had the most raw talent...what the hell happened to him?? But I've got to say I don't look at any of them and think...we are all set at that spot...we have our outside receiver!! I'm hopeful, but I'm not feeling the same way as I did after Branch's rookie year...where I thought, yup he helps, no doubt about that. And Branch dropped some...he missed some time with injuries, but there was no doubt he was going to help.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Collie lovefest is amazing...

no catches this week.

[/QUOTE]

It would be very disappointing if he was held without a catch against the Broncos.  That would tell me he won't see the field.

I'll tell you the truth - I'd start Collie over the Disappearing Amendola Act.   DA has 2 TDs for the season.   He rarely gets separation, forcing TB to be ridiculously precise when throwing his way.

[/QUOTE]

He got separation last week.  If that ball wasn't a bit underthrown, he might have went the distance.  3 key catches for 77 yards is a solid day, especially when you consider the gameplan was focusing on running the ball. 

I think Danny has a big game this week.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree...you watch him after he caught that ball? His legs were junk. He couldn't of out ran a cheer leader to the endzone on that particular play. I know after the season it will be said he toughed it out with a groin problem or perhaps something else, but the fact is his legs are gone. They have been gone all season. He gets nothing out of his breaks. There is no separation. There is no explosiveness to his game. And for all the talk about him being able to play outside and get past a defense?? That is crap. He did it against the Colts, sure, but that was after we ran wild on them all night and no one was there covering him. Watch him outside (the few times they put him out there), corners eat him up.

Can he run routes? Yeah I think he does it well, but his legs look gone too me. I imagine it's the groin...I'll give him that, but I watched him try to play outside in camp and he couldn't beat Talib or Dennard once (I'm assuming he was healthy then). Talib and Dennard had great camps, but they got beat outside once in a while by Boyce and Dobson when I was watching...never by Amendola.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think he's as explosive now as he was in week 1, yeah, that's a given.  Yeah, I watched him after he caught the ball; he was sprinting and had to slow up to about 60% and by the time he caught it, the safety was hawking him.  It's hard to get back up to full speed when you have to slow down that much.  I'm not saying it was a bad throw.  The conditions were awful and we needed that big play so Brady made sure he put in a place where DA could catch it.  But, I think the reasoning for him bailing out after he caught it was because he slowed up so much that the safety had already caught up to him.

Also, DA has never been a burner.  He runs like a 4.6.  He's quick laterally and runs great routes.  That's what he was brought in for.  I think he's been a bit of a disappointment so far this year but I'm willing to give him a pass and see if he can put together a nice postseason leading into year 2 in NE.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

[QUOTE]

There is no longer any margin for error the rest of the way.

It was fine to get the rookies acclimated to the offense during the regular season.   There wasn't much choice at the time.

Now it's win or go home.  

I keep hearing the same excuses for rookie drops in January that I was hearing in September. 

KT:

Hey, I like KT.   He fights to get off the line;  he has good jumping ability.   But he has a tendency to leave his feet (lunge) for every catch.   It reminds me a little of Lloyd who rarely had any YAC.   His route-running is unpredictable.  And then there are the drops.   You can't have drops at this time of year. 

AD:

I don't get the fascination people have with Ras-I Dobson right now.   Maybe in a year he'll be a key contributor, but not now.   They send him deep a lot to clear the underneath stuff for Edelman and DA, but when they actually target Dobson deep they rarely connect.  Here's a guy who got injured, or re-injured running in a straight line under a likely TD pass.  He never got a hand on the ball.  There was also the deep pass early in the season that he dropped.  When you spend 2 or 3 quarters setting up this play, the play is executed perfectly, and then you don't connect that's a major failure.

Boyce:

IR.  Enough said.

3 young guys in the prime of life and not a single one you can count on at kickoff.

Austin Collie:

Check out some of his number from actual playoff games while he was in Indy.  (These numbers are largely in a sub role).

4 games:  18 catches, 256 yards, 2 TDs

Here's what I love about this guy.   He runs great routes;  you can line him up in the slot or outside;  he's quick and elusive;  and most importantly, he doesn't drop the ball.

He also played his college ball at altitude in BYU.   Altitude can be a factor late in games.

We've all seen guys who perform well in the regular season but can't handle the playoff pressure.  The stage is just too big.   Not for Austin Collie it isn't.

As much as I love this guy I am well aware of his concussion history.  He may not even be on the roster next year.

Give this guy a minimum of 15 snaps this week.

[/QUOTE]

You are right. Collie can play!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

I understand all this...I do, but you failed to list the rookies who had great rookie seasons and there are just as many...if not more. Terry Glenn had 90 catches (and muzz I'm giving estimates here, so don't go calling me a politician)...Moss had 70...Holt had 50...Fitzgerald had 58...Keyshawn Johnson had 63...Calvin Johnson had 58...Deion Branch had 40 something. And most of those guys didn't have good quarterbacks throwing them the ball, or were givin the oppurtunities our rookies were (in terms of playing time and having no one else be the focus of the offense, at least at first).

I do agree with you, and I'm hoping at least Dobson will turn into a 70 catch a year guy. I don't know about Thompkins. And going into the season I thought Boyce had the most raw talent...what the hell happened to him?? But I've got to say I don't look at any of them and think...we are all set at that spot...we have our outside receiver!! I'm hopeful, but I'm not feeling the same way as I did after Branch's rookie year...where I thought, yup he helps, no doubt about that. And Branch dropped some...he missed some time with injuries, but there was no doubt he was going to help.

[/QUOTE]

There are rookies who had better years. Had Dobson and Thompkins not missed four games each, they would have been in the 40s if not 50+ catch range and 5 or 6 TDs each. Very respectable and right there with all but the very top performers in the league. For every receiver who kills it his rookie year, there are 40 who are clueless.

Heck, if you want to start comparing them to Larry Fitz and Megatron, and they come up a little short of that, that's nothng to be ashamed of. 

To me, Dobson has gotten noticeably better as the year has gone on. More confident, fewer drops. The guy gets open and uses his body very well. He makes a play or two every game that shows he's getting it. I like what I'm seeing from him. Most athletic Pats WR since Moss.

Thompkins has been more inconsistent, but hasn't regressed.  Just hasn't taken that next step like Dobson has.

We'll see how these guys are next year, but I feel confident at least that Dobson is a legit NFL receiver, maybe even a #1 type.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

collie if active is good for one big catch maybe two and only targeted 1 or 2 times

He has great hands

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There are rookies who had better years. Had Dobson and Thompkins not missed four games each, they would have been in the 40s if not 50+ catch range and 5 or 6 TDs each. Very respectable and right there with all but the very top performers in the league. For every receiver who kills it his rookie year, there are 40 who are clueless.

Heck, if you want to start comparing them to Larry Fitz and Megatron, and they come up a little short of that, that's nothng to be ashamed of. 

To me, Dobson has gotten noticeably better as the year has gone on. More confident, fewer drops. The guy gets open and uses his body very well. He makes a play or two every game that shows he's getting it. I like what I'm seeing from him. Most athletic Pats WR since Moss.

Thompkins has been more inconsistent, but hasn't regressed.  Just hasn't taken that next step like Dobson has.

We'll see how these guys are next year, but I feel confident at least that Dobson is a legit NFL receiver, maybe even a #1 type.

[/QUOTE]

I see your point and I hope you're right. Personally I'm not down on Donson...a little disappointed? Yeah maybe, but not too much. The thing that has really surprised me is the drops. I watched him in camp and I thought he had the best hands there...I mean this kid was catching things no player has any business catching. They did this drill where they would wave a tennis racket right in the receivers line of vision before the ball arrived and Dobson would just snap that ball right out of the air every time...he was the best at it. The ball was really fired too, again he was great at it. He also shook free for some long receptions and showed great body control. I thought right away he was going to help us - and he has - but not as much as I originally thought.

I hope he turns into everything he looked like last August.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with your point....

I like both Thompkins and Dobson. Both were decent for ROOKIES and in THIS system that requires you to be on the same page as the QB even more than most systems. If either is healthy enough this week OR for the SB either could contribute meaningful plays. I do expect more from them next year as well....

Speaking of otehrs here... a bunch of whiners here who compare rookies to well established veterans... And who try to tell runners HOW to run and QBs HOW to pass and coaches HOW to coach... Its fine to make a point, an observation here and there but there are quite a few here who talk like they are experts on every last detail of every last aspect of playing, practicing and coaching of the game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

It will be interesting to see if Colie gets much action tomorrow.  Not sure what to expect from Dobson and Thompkins, how is their health?  I would first assume that Dobson and Thompkins are fairly healthy and will get some time tomorrow because they made the trip.  Or did they make the trip just so the Broncos would have to consider them in their defense game plan?  If Dobson and Thompkins play tomorrow I just hope the big game nerves don't get to the young rookies.  Its probably the 2nd biggest game they will ever play in their career (due to Brady and Manning hype added to the game to get to the SB)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It will be interesting to see if Colie gets much action tomorrow.  Not sure what to expect from Dobson and Thompkins, how is their health?  I would first assume that Dobson and Thompkins are fairly healthy and will get some time tomorrow because they made the trip.  Or did they make the trip just so the Broncos would have to consider them in their defense game plan?  If Dobson and Thompkins play tomorrow I just hope the big game nerves don't get to the young rookies.  Its probably the 2nd biggest game they will ever play in their career (due to Brady and Manning hype added to the game to get to the SB)

[/QUOTE]

I hope one of them is healthy enough to contribute in a meaningful way. I would also hope that being on THIS team of gutsy players that they will man up and by now have the right mind set... and not be just another player from  just any old team.

Sections
Shortcuts