It's been 3 years grade the 2007 draft.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

It's been 3 years grade the 2007 draft.

Everyone says wait 3 years before you grade a draft ok lets grade the 2007 draftees.
    124 (24)Brandon MeriweatherSMiami (FL)
    428 (127)Kareem BrownDTMiami (FL)
    5*34 (171)Clint OldenburgOLColorado State University
    66 (180)Justin RogersDESouthern Methodist University
    628 (202)Mike RichardsonCBNotre Dame
    6*34 (208)Justise HairstonRBCentral Connecticut State
    6*35 (209)Corey HilliardTOklahoma State
    71 (211)Oscar LuaILBUSC
    7*37 (247)Mike ElginOLUniversity of Iowa
    * - Compensatory pick

This draft looks pretty poor with only Meriweather seeing the field. We did use a 4th to obtain Moss and a 2nd and a 7th to get Welker if they didn't do that this draft would been one the worst in team history.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Re: It's been 3 years grade the 2007 draft.

A large proportion of a draft is not going to work out typically. The transition to the NFL is alot harder than high school to college.

Meriweather has been a worthy pick. But in grading a draft, the picks you trade and what you get for them also need to be part of that grade. Without having those picks, you'd never get what you got for them. So they are equally important in judging a draft.

With that said, 2007 was highly successful. You got one of the top 3 WR in the game and the best slot receiver in the game, with an emerging safety. All players have plenty of gas left in the tank (considering Welker rebounds from a devasting knee injury).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

To bad we didn't hit on that years 7th LB like we did with TBC.Laughing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

lol it really highlights how bad of a draft it was.

The only player left isn't even that good.  He only made the Pro Bowl because everyone else got hurt (Bob Sanders, Troy Polamalu, and Jairus Byrd are all hurt).

I honestly thought Oscar Lua was going to work out, but obviously he didn't.

Recent drafts before the 2009 Draft have not been good.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from k-maxx. Show k-maxx's posts

To bad we didn't hit it big with that years 7th round LB pick like we did with the All Pro LB  7th rounder TBC.  I guess lightning only strikes once. Laughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

12 picks and 3 hits, Moss has been great, same for WW, Meriweather has been good with potential. I guess now that I look at it, it was successful.

*the raw picks stunk, poor grades that none of those picks other than meriweather saw the field

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Harley,

I haven't run numbers, but I'd suspect only 15-30% of a teams draft make an impact. Thats probably even high. By impact, I guess I'd say anyone who you can rationally agree is an above average or better player....I know thats subjective to a degree. In fact, I'd say generally 1 in 5 players drafted make an impact.

Thoughts?

I don't have anything to base this on other than my memory of the drafts over the past 25 years.

Interesting thread topic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

The 2007 Patriots were pretty good no?
    There weren't a lot of holes.
    Tough team to crack.

Kareem Brown played a game with the Jets.
    Clint Oldenburg played 2 games with the Jets.
    Justin Rogers played 31 games with the Cowboys.
    Corey Hilliard played 5 games with the Colts.

Not a great draft but we had few needs at the time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

4adam13 and digger

the '07 team would have been a hard to make and in that regard they should have drafted players they could have developed. The OL, DL, secondary and the LBer core all could have used developed players. They did try but the players did not pan out for whatever reason and its hurting the team now. The 5 players listed above played 39 games....thats poor scouting and judgement of playing ability.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

merriweather is the only one that stood out.after that it was a poor draft.out side the trades.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

the draft after round 2 maybe 3 is a crap shoot. Even though most of the players on the list didn't make it I bet they contributed in camp and preseason. I like the players Bill Belichick brings in. They all seem like classy guys with little off the field stuff. Amazing how the Kaczur stuff got buried so quick. I guess the last before that was Zeke Mowat lol.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

give me a break...just how many of these 5th,6th and 7th round picks would you expext to make a top team like the pats?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

still, I spent 1 minute and found the following players, you think the Pats could use any of these guys? They were all drafted in the 5th or later rounds of the 2007 draft.
    AZ-Breston...wr
    NYG- Boss...te
    NYJ-Stuckey...wr
    NYG-Bradshaw....rb

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Well, not very good.  If you take into account that Moss and Welker were draft pick trades than it could be one of the best ever.  But other than Merriweather it was not good.  I don't expect most guys after the 1st to become starters.  I think BB was dissapointed in how they drafted the last few years and that's part of the reason they got Floyd Reese who has drafted 3 ROY's out of his 11 first round draft choices.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Two Pro Bowl WRs and one good FS. From a player acquisition standpoint that is a good haul. You can't discount the depth the Pats had at the time of the 07 draft. I remember some saying that Lamarr Woodley would have been a good pick.....even in the 1st over Meriweather (Rush OLB vs FS). Sidney Rice also available.

Harley, very easy to look back and see who would have been a better pick in hindsight, every team could do that and come up with good players they coulda shoulda drafted.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

How many teams in the 2007 draft got a starting pro bowl safety, Arguably the best WR in NFL history, he's in the argument. Also, arguably one of the best slot receivers in NFL history.

Even if they got nothing else I still gotta ask what team did better in the 2007 draft?

Oh and please before you bring the weak argument that the trades don't count ask yourself one question. 

What did the Patriots USE to get Randy Moss and Wes Welker? That's right say it with me now, all together. They used their DRAFT picks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

The only player left isn't even that good.  He only made the Pro Bowl because everyone else got hurt (Bob Sanders, Troy Polamalu, and Jairus Byrd are all hurt).

So, he is right behind those guys. Not that good at all. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I have a nughead view of the world:

1. I expect all 1st rounders to be good starters 3 years later.  Check.
    2. I want half of the 2nd rounders to be starters, and the other half to be decent backups. Traded picks away, so can't judge "drafting" ability.  What we traded for was well worth it.
    3. As for rounds 3-7, if we get one or two hits, that's great.  In those rounds, simply finding able backups is decent.  We found nothing there.

So in retrospect, our 2007 draft was OK in the top half, but we found nobody in the latter rounds that ended up a pleasant surprise like Edelman, Brady, Assante, etc.  An easy assessment of our overall draft performance is to look at the number of FA's starting on the team, and then on your team overall.

And that's kind of the bottom line.  No matter how you assess the draft, or grade players, the undeniable fact is that each year there are more and more players on our roster not drafted by us.  That signifies problems drafting.  Several years ago we were playing the Colts and the announcers were commenting on how these two teams excel in the draft.  They said there were only a few players on the field not drafted by their teams.  Times have changed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

That was a poor draft. One player out of nine ends up sticking with the club.
    Ofcourse that was also the year they used a 2nd round pick for Welker was it not
    and a 4th rd pick for Moss? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'm also going to grade the trading, because this is why the 2007 draft was so bad:

The Patriots' natural 1st round pick, at #28, was traded out of 2007 and eventually became Jerod Mayo and Shawn Crable. 

Mayo, picked with the #10 pick, was the NFL defensive rookie of the year last year, so that was a brilliant piece of trading. 

Crable is injured a lot and might possibly be a pass-rushing OLB if he ever gets healthy.  I'd call Crable a semi-bust so far.

The Patriots' natural 3rd rounder, at #91, was traded all the way into 2009 and eventually became pick #40, Ron Brace.  Brace was a semi-bust until BB liked his later work when Wilfork was out.  So, he played, BB was somewhat happy, the Patriots' defense beat up on Jacksonville and the Bills, and Brace may in fact be worth a second round pick after all.

The Patriots' 5th rounder was shot on Doug Gabriel.  Whiff!  2007 draft picks for receivers weren't all sweetness and light.

The second rounder was Welker and one fourth rounder was Moss.  BB doesn't want or need a do-over, thank you.

I grade the wheeling and dealing part of the 2007 draft with an A.  The Pats eventually drafted themselves one certified stud and one nose tackle project based on the 07 draft tradeups.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Ok, like Hannah said, from the acquisition standpoint we hit two home runs that cant be measured. Anyone who watched and knew the game, knew that 81 had alot left in the tank. He had no help to speak of at all. Brooks was throwing to him, Porter was oppisite him and Jordan was in the backfield, not MJ, but that guy that completely sux! Think our o-line is bad? They gave up 120 sacks in the two years 81 was there, and some morons thought Randy sux, hes dogging it...he couldnt get off the line!!!! His QB couldnt hit dirt and before he ran 1/2 yard his QB was eating dirt! So hey, hes my fav. player, but your a moron to think he was done. Welker was a different story, people like to say he killed us, not true at all, from a rec. standpoint he was ok, yea he did damage in the kicking game, but that was it. So they were prolly they best trades the Pats ever made, in fact mosdef the best we made and maybe some of the best ever in the league. Now the actually draft, in terms of just picking guys, cmon it was a bust. If your picked in the first round, you should be playing  from day one. Maybe not starting from jump, but I'd expect so by at least mid-Nov. Your selected as a top 32 player, we have every right to expect a starter by that point. Ill give you a pass on a QB if you wanna have him sit and learn from a vet for a year, but only a year. And he should be able to come in and play if needed. OK so after round 4 I say its a coin flip..most of the time. Their are people who do this for a living and guys like Seabass are out and shouldnt be that hard to project if he can play or not, determining if hes gonna be a star, ok that very difficult, but if a guy can contribute, no you should be able to pick a few of those guys. I think everyone except some guy named Bubba will agree that all are bust. Merriweather is the only debate, by now we should expect alot more, 3 years later and this guy is still not wrapping up and taking those angles, like the one on rice's big run. No thats not acceptable and we have the right to expect more from him, he certainly has the potential. So with Moss and Welk's Id give it a B+, the actual picks were way off. Hindsight tell us Merriweather should have been a early-mid 2nd rounder. Without the "super freak" and 83 I couldnt give it higher than a D-.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I guess I would probably grade the draft a C- with the only saving grace being the trades for Moss and Welker. I'm pretty disappointed in Merriweather although maybe a new coach and some leadership on "D" could lead to better days from him.The other guys speak for themselves. All in all I'd say we're due for good draft this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Why pick on just 2007 go back to 2005 and see that 5 of their 7 picks are still playing or 2006  where 4 of the 8 still are, or 2008 where 5 of 7 are still around or 2009 where 6 of 12 are still playing. Then take a look at the roster and see that over 25 players have 5 or less years in the league with about 10 of those guys being rookies. Also take a look at undrafted guys who make the team.

Pick on one year and say it suked and some say that all their drafts suked but look at the bigger picture. As some said Welker and Moss make 2007 pretty darn good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgmlrm3706. Show sgmlrm3706's posts

2006 draft

Maroney
    Chad Jackson...traded up to get him, our pick was used to select Greg Jennings
    Dave Thomas
    Garrett Mills
    Gostkowski
    O'Callaghan
    Jerome Mincey
    Dan Stevenson
    LeKevin Smith
    Willie Andrews

ugly draft except for our stud kicker

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgmlrm3706. Show sgmlrm3706's posts

I know this is stupid but I don't feel like working right now.

2005 draft

32...mankins
    64...traded...adam terry
    95...traded...darryl blackstock
    100...comp...nick kaczur
    133...james sanders
    168...traded lance mitchell
    170...ryan claridge
    206...traded...jonathan goddard
    230...matt cassel
    255...andy stokes

I have to admit it is very intersting to see where guys are drafted and who is even still in the league four years later. Now I know why these guys want to get paid right away

Sections
Shortcuts