***It's Day 1 of training camp... predict a sleeper/breakout player for the 2013 season***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: ***It's Day 1 of training camp... predict a sleeper/breakout player for the 2013 season***

Good to hear from you again MB. I agree with all who have picked Boyce, Dobson, Collins, or Vereen, I think all have the potential to break out. I am going way out on a limb and picking a guy who might not even make the team; Zach Sudfeld. I think he plays and becomes TB12's new favorite red zone target and catches 10-12 TD's this year.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Re: ***It's Day 1 of training camp... predict a sleeper/breakout player for the 2013 season***

Danny Amendola for sure

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'd like to see Ryan Logan or tavon Wilson work out so like it was said I would get to watch everyone's head blow up like in scanners. We need the back end D guys to be reliable. The young guys most of all. Set this D up for when Brady retires. 
    Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Josh Boyce is the name that keeps coming to mind for me.  Smart kid, skill set that translates well to NE's offense which is predicated on short/intermediate routes + RAC ability... and the opportunity for snaps/targets/PT is certainly there.  I'm thinking 55/770/5 is entirely possible.

AARON DOBSON.........Speed Kills!

Boyce actually ran faster (4.34 at the combine) than Dobson (4.37 at his pro-day), and while speed alone won't get you very far at the NFL level... I think both have the intelligence and skill set to develop into solid NFL WR's.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Hightower!!! It looked to me that by the end of last year he really started coming into his own. It seemed that early in the season he was thinking to much. But for Hightower is going to be the difference maker for this team. He can rush the passer, cover a TE or RB, set the edge and at 6'4 250 is a thumper. 

Also I'm surprised I havn't heard anyone say Armstead. He has a very good skill set and could become a long term starter for the Pats.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I also agree with those that think Vereen will have a breakout year and for the sake of Randall Cobb, I hope that's the case! haha.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to maine12's comment:

Hightower!!! It looked to me that by the end of last year he really started coming into his own. It seemed that early in the season he was thinking to much. But for Hightower is going to be the difference maker for this team. He can rush the passer, cover a TE or RB, set the edge and at 6'4 250 is a thumper. 

Also I'm surprised I havn't heard anyone say Armstead. He has a very good skill set and could become a long term starter for the Pats.

I'd like to see Hightower get more chances to rush off the edge because he definitely flashed some ability when asked to do so during his time in Tuscaloosa.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I'm wondering more what the definition of sleeper/breakout player is than who that player will be?

Vereen will get (at least) the same amount of carries he had last season, though I think he is strong enough to possibly carry the load for a season if need be, Faulk did it in 2000 and he did it again in 2003 when we were so thin at RB that they kept Antwoine Smith on the shelf for the majority of the year only to bring him back in the playoffs to ride him to a Super Bowl victory.  Vereen will be our third down back out of the backfield the same way Woody, Faulk and Meggett were before him health provided, we should be carrying enough WR's this season that we don't need him to play primarily in the slot the way Woody did for the 2nd half of last season.

Boyce and Dobson both make the team and both make an impact assuming they're healthy, I couldn't choose one over the other but I like Boyce's compact build because I think he'll be a matchup nightmare in the slot and he's fast enough on the perimeter to stretch the field.

I agree that Hightower will play better but the linebackers as a whole will be better than usual because (health provided) the defensive tackle play in front of them will be much improved.  The layman won't necessarily see this because all they'll see is the Hightowers, Mayos, Nincovichs and Chandler Jones getting off blocks and collecting sacks but it will be because those three players inside at D line are attracting two blockers and/or throwing opposing lineman off their game.

Adrian Wilson will be a really big pickup for us, the middle of the field will no longer be a playground for tightends and slot receivers to run wild.  I can't call an all pro talent a sleeper though so I will just say a bunch of posters here are downplaying his arrival and already talking about a single pass he gave up on the first day of practice.  I'll just write that off to the doom and gloomers and leave it at that.  

But that brings us to our biggest weakness, the pass rush...

Armstead to me will be the breakout player, I've said that from the day last season ended and he was the first person signed for this season.  If he is as advertised we can go back to a 3 man front, at least for the first two downs and we'll create pressure and sacks.  Hard to call Tommy Kelly a sleeper since he has been so good for so long but he will also be a huge impact in this area as well and he has more in the tank than some are giving him credit for.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Josh Boyce is the name that keeps coming to mind for me.  Smart kid, skill set that translates well to NE's offense which is predicated on short/intermediate routes + RAC ability... and the opportunity for snaps/targets/PT is certainly there.  I'm thinking 55/770/5 is entirely possible.

Boyce actually ran faster (4.34 at the combine) than Dobson (4.37 at his pro-day), and while speed alone won't get you very far at the NFL level... I think both have the intelligence and skill set to develop into solid NFL WR's.

Please, don't get me wrong! I do reaize that Boyce is a burner, and my "Speed Kills" statement is not intended to slight Boyce in the least. I give Dobson the edge as that "breakout" guy because:

Boyce at 5'11 is an average sized receiver, though obviously a great athlete, but is not the "prototypical WR" that we need right now on the outside. Dobson at 6'3", 215, actually running as fast as a 4.2 in one of his runs at his pro day, with big hands, excellent ball skills, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY Dobson is also a great basketball player with a 35" verticle. As such, he has excellent body control and he knows how to use his size and body to shield the defender from the ball while meeting it at its highest point when going up to catch it. He has a great physical advantage over the much smaller DBs in the league. Dobson is an NFL ready WR who can fly like a sprinter at 6'3", while Boyce is first a stand out sprinter who plays football very well. I see the best use of Boyce being from the slot with his compact build/size, strength, and speed and likely as a primary kick returner. I really do love them both and am excited about the potential.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

OK, I'm going to say it: Tebow. I'll get to that momentarily. First Blount...

I'm no scout, but I've watched Blount play quite a bit. He is not a FB and never has been. He's an indifferent blocker and he's a malcontent if he's not carrying the ball. It's like asking Tebow to line up at TE. Why would you do that when you can just go out and sign a true FB? He's not even built like a FB, he's tall and rangy, not squat like a Sam Gash or Vonta Leach.

His strength is open field running, but he has to get the ball in the open field or get a running lane where he can get through the LOS without too much trouble. He's not going to get there if he has to work his way through too much traffic.  In the open field, he's tough to bring down and runs well once he gets up to speed.

He is a terrible short yardage/goal line back. He's not smart, and gets lost in blitz pickup. He can block fine if the guy is coming right at him, but don't ask him to move too much or use his head.  

Plus, he's a documented piece of you-know-what and I think that hurts a lot more these days. He's getting cut, absent injuries to other backs.

Tebow can be a breakout guy because he seems willing to do other things besides be a backup QB. If I'm wrong about that, and he is only willing to be a QB, then he gets cut.

He has better skills as a runner than Blount. No idea if he can catch the ball, I guess we may find out.

But I'm thinking that he may be able to replace Hernandez on the roster. Not as a TE, but as a slash guy, a uniquely skilled player who can do multiple things. He's not as fast as Hern and I doubt he can catch the ball as well, but in the open field he is as good a runner and dangerous. Probably blocks better than Hern ever did.

I think he's smart enough to realize by now, his limitations as a NFL QB and that other teams are not willing to bring him on because of the distractions involved. He knows his best/only chance to make it in the NFL is to be versatile. Again, if I read that wrong and he's not willing to do anything other than play under center, then he won't make it. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Please, don't get me wrong! I do reaize that Boyce is a burner, and my "Speed Kills" statement is not intended to slight Boyce in the least. I give Dobson the edge as that "breakout" guy because:

Boyce at 5'11 is an average sized receiver, though obviously a great athlete, and is not the "prototypical WR" that we need right now on the outside. Dobson at 6'3", 215, actually running as fast as a 4.2 in one of his runs at his pro day, with big hands, excellent ball skills, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY Dobson is also a great basketball player with a 35" verticle. As such, he has excellent body control and he knows how to use his size and body to shield the defender from the ball while meeting it at its highest point when going up to catch it. He has a great physical advantage over the much smaller DBs in the league. Dobson is an NFL ready WR who can fly like a sprinter at 6'3", while Boyce is first a stand out sprinter who plays football very well. I see the best use of Boyce being from the slot with his compact build/size, strength, and speed and likely as a primary kick returner. I really do love them both and am excited about the potential.

Good post Rally. Personally, I put Boyce as one of my "sleepers" earlier because I think we could gett 500+ yards out of him (which is high for a 4th round WR) if he stays healthy because of his versatility (can line up in the slot or outside). At the same time, if Dobson clicks with Brady, I have no reason to think he can't beat out Jenkins/Edelman in due time and post 800+ yards of receiving.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Ras-I (hopefully)

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Ras-I (hopefully)

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

TFB, not to jinx him, BUT compound fractures don't count as "breakouts" right? Seriously, he is my hope also on D, mostly because we need him to be more than anyone else on that side.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

I also agree with those that think Vereen will have a breakout year and for the sake of Randall Cobb, I hope that's the case! haha.

Question for you:

What are your thoughts on George Winn?

Just checked out some tape on the kid (had a productive season at Cincy)... good size (5-11 218/220), north/south banger that isn't dynamic, but runs hard and will take with the defense gives him (could be a solid short yardage back as well).  He does show some patience during stretch plays and hits the hole decisively once he finds a crease, but prob won't offer much on the perimeter... could be tough to handle on the 2nd and 3rd levels of the defense though.  He looks capable on 3rd down, showing some ability as a pass blocker (needs to do a better job of keeping his head up and not lunging at times) and can catch some swing/screen passes. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I was going to go with Collins, as he was one of the guys I called predraft. And I do honestly think him replacing Spikes on passing downs is going to really help the D a lot. But, last year I went with a UDFA in Francis and was happy with my pick so again this year I'm rolling the dice on another UDFA in Sudfeld. I'm liking what I see so far and barring an injury I think he'll surpass both Hoom and Fells by the end of camp and be one of the top 3 TE's this year. Considering they might push forward in a 2 TE set post Hern this could be a huge spot for Sudfeld to shine. Look for his impact in the running game but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go 30/400/5 in his rookie year either which would be pretty stunning.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

Sections
Shortcuts