***It's Day 1 of training camp... predict a sleeper/breakout player for the 2013 season***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

***It's Day 1 of training camp... predict a sleeper/breakout player for the 2013 season***

Josh Boyce is the name that keeps coming to mind for me.  Smart kid, skill set that translates well to NE's offense which is predicated on short/intermediate routes + RAC ability... and the opportunity for snaps/targets/PT is certainly there.  I'm thinking 55/770/5 is entirely possible.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: ***It's Day 1 of training camp... predict a sleeper/breakout player for the 2013 season***

Sleeper-I think Collins has some big plays in him for the defense. He has too much to learn to play major snaps, but Pats should find spots for him to make plays.

Break out-Given health, I think Ras is the best CB on the team

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: ***It's Day 1 of training camp... predict a sleeper/breakout player for the 2013 season***

I would have said Hernandez would've had a breakout year if he could have stayed healthy.

Instead, he ends up incarcerated w/o bail. I suppose there's a chance he might breakout...but in a different way...lol

So, I say Vereen. The Patriots need a back that can do it all. Why not him?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats. Show tg19pats's posts

Logan Ryan- just think we are going to need him

Brady- will demonstrate to everyone just how good he is this year, no superstar wide recievers but will throw plenty of TD's

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Wishful thinking ... I'm hoping Ras-I is the breakout player.  If he could be healthy and effective for the whole season it would go a long way toward reestablishing a formidable defense.

Did he make it through Day 1 healthy?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

I think we will see Vareen have a big year. 45-50 catches  600-700 yards on the ground. he will be a 1st down machine better than woodhead.

T Wilson, he will become a starter early in the season and will be an important part in that secondary. He will be the player that most benefits from A Wilson being here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Josh Boyce is the name that keeps coming to mind for me.  Smart kid, skill set that translates well to NE's offense which is predicated on short/intermediate routes + RAC ability... and the opportunity for snaps/targets/PT is certainly there.  I'm thinking 55/770/5 is entirely possible.

I like your choice as well as people saying Ras I  on D, but as of today both were on the 2nd units. They both have uphill battles and while I want them both to break out, I think Ras I plays at some point and fills in for someone but his health issues are hard to ignore. Boyce as intriging as he is, could be a candidate for I/R. He has been nicked up in offseason and if they dont feel is gonna contribute in a major way, they will stash him for next year. I just cant see 2 Rookie WR's working out in their 1st year after our history of WR's. I will be happy just to see Dobson GET it. So far so good on him. I really think this offense needs Vareen to step up and be the guy we know he can be, be that 3rd down security blanket that TB no longer had since Faulk left and provide that shiftiness and speed in open field.

I nominate Vareen and J.Collins. He seems to be athletic enough to get on the field right away in a situational role. I like his versatility.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Hightower!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Ebner. Impresses in camp, takes over after an injury, and never looks back. Wishful thinking.

Come on if you think you can take us on
    You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

I think we will see Vareen have a big year. 45-50 catches  600-700 yards on the ground. he will be a 1st down machine better than woodhead.

T Wilson, he will become a starter early in the season and will be an important part in that secondary. He will be the player that most benefits from A Wilson being here.

I think Vereen will be the slot guy and permanent 3rd down back on 3rd and longs where they can move from a shotgun RB position over into a slot if need be to move the LB.

In 2 WR sets, Amendola just stays on in the Z spot.  The big question is, who wins the X.  Many think it might be Kenbrell Thompkins if it isn't Dobson.

I agree with you he will be split out some to get favorable match-ups but i think you underestimate his ability to run the ball. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

I think Vereen will be the slot guy and permanent 3rd down back on 3rd and longs where they can move from a shotgun RB position over into a slot if need be to move the LB.

In 2 WR sets, Amendola just stays on in the Z spot.  The big question is, who wins the X.  Many think it might be Kenbrell Thompkins if it isn't Dobson.

I agree with you he will be split out some to get favorable match-ups but i think you underestimate his ability to run the ball. 

Yeah, he's a scatback IMO and not an inbetween runner due to size. I don't think you can be a power runner that size.  RIdley and Bolden are bigger. Blount, too.

Faulk was even bigger than Vereen. Big legs, bigger upper body, so he could be used at times, in between the tackles.

New Orleans has a proven guy like Sproles. we have a guy with big upside in Vereen. It's not a knock, it's just a skill set.  Not everyone can be a 5 tool kind of a player. Dustin Pedroia doesn't have great power or speed, but what a player.

Russ he can't do it consitantly but he is strong enough to run in between the tackles on a limited basis.

For my money he should be getting 15 touches a game at least 7-10 carries a game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I like Collins as the guy who makes the LBs more effective in the passing game.  I've liked that pick all along.  Nice to see Dobson with the starters already.  Hard to believe Aiken will stay with the starting group, but he's a big target if he can keep it up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I think a few sleepers at TE might be Hoomanawanui or Fells since they will be starting without Gronk to start the year.  

Running backs...ether Boldin or Blount.  I loved what I saw from Boldin last year before his suspension.   I also loved the power running that Blount demonstrated before he lost his starting job.

I think the breakout players are Chandler Jones, Hightower and Edelman.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Got to go with Boyce as well. He has everything the pats covet, and is a natural to play the slot or Z. 

If he and Dobson emerge...watch out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

I will split mine into two categories, with two choices for each category. I see a sleeper as someone who will do much better than people expect, while a breakout player is a non-rookie (a guy in his 2nd or 3rd year) who "takes the next step" so to speak. I am also assuming that these players stay healthy.

Sleepers:

Choice #1: Josh Boyce - I think we will get more production from him than you might expect from a 4th round rookie WR. I am not necessarily saying he will outproduce Dobson (although i'm not saying it's impossible), but I think we could possibly get 500+ yards out of him this year.

Choice #2: Ras-I Dowling - Since he has been so injured, I list him under sleepers instead of breakout players. I think as the year goes on, if he stays healthy, he jumps over Arrington and maybe even Dennard to become the team's #2 or #3 CB.

Breakout Players:

Choice #1: Chandler Jones - If he stays healthy, I see a 10+ sack season from him.

Choice #2: Devin McCourty - Although McCourty has been good as a safety, I don't think he has the league-wide recognition of one. With a full offseason of practice at the position, I think McCourty breaks out and makes himself known as a very good to elite free safety.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

This will be a breakout season for Danny Amendola.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Cannon, would like to see him make that jump to the starting OL.  I think he has all the tools.  This should be his year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

AARON DOBSON.........Speed Kills!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

This is Brandon Spike's contract year. Don't know if that motivates him to have a breakout season, but his absence from OTA, his hint at his cocaine use, what he expects to get in his next contract, and what he said to the press today

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/spikes-hernandez-i-want-comment-cant

maybe hinting that he disagrees with Kraft and Belichick on Hernandez, makes it very likely he will be playing elsewhere next season.

Living well is the best revenge.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

welcome back MB!  Im going to go with Aaron Dobson, I wanted Pats to land him late first this past draft, and got him later, which is fine with me!  Really liked him at Marshall, so going to stick with him as the breakout dude this year!  this O will need it.  Hope Boyce does too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sleeper-I think Collins has some big plays in him for the defense. He has too much to learn to play major snaps, but Pats should find spots for him to make plays.

Break out-Given health, I think Ras is the best CB on the team

\i agree with you and Rkarp. RasI could be key this year.

Agreed...if Ras I satys healthy, Dennard may well have lost his job by the time the pending suspension happens...Dennard doesn't start again until next year after Talib most likely goes...

[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

[QUOTE]

AARON DOBSON.........Speed Kills!

[/QUOTE]

Boyce might actually be faster than Dobson.

Either way,  I like both.  

To me, one of them must contribute.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Was at camp today and Boyce did not show much . . . poor hands!  Sudfeld, Amendola, Dobson, Ballard, Winn and Bolden show they are there to win a job with this team . . . Winn will have the toughest time because they will keep Washington because of his kickoff abilities and as backup to Vereen as the 3rd down back . . . not sure if they put Winn on the practice squad that he'll clear waivers the way he ran today.  So Washington, Ridley, Vereen make the team for sure . . . Bolden, Winn and Blount battle for 1 or 2 spots . . . Blount looked real slow compared to these guys but he is big and could play fullback if they run 2 back sets.

Sections
Shortcuts