Its official; Ed Reed signs with Jests

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Its official; Ed Reed signs with Jests

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 14, 2013, 11:37 AM EST

Ed Reed wasn’t out of work for long.

Reed, the veteran safety who was released by Houston on Tuesday, is heading to New York. The Jets announced that Reed has agreed to terms on a contract and is expected to be on the practice field today.

It’s unclear whether Reed will play on Sunday against the Bills, but he already knows Rex Ryan’s defense, having played for Ryan in Baltimore, so it shouldn’t take him long to get up to speed. Next Sunday, the Jets travel to Baltimore, where Reed will surely be motivated to have a big game against the Ravens.

What remains to be seen is whether Reed has enough left in the tank to make much of a difference. In Houston, Reed didn’t contribute much, but if the 35-year-old Reed has anything left, he could bolster the Jets’ secondary down the stretch as they fight for a playoff spot.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Its official; Ed Reed signs with Jests

Mike Florio posted why Reed was never coming to New England. Money.

Posted by Mike Florio on November 14, 2013, 9:33 AM EST

We’ve noticed several different versions of what safety Ed Reed received for his cup of chili with the Texans.

Here’s the full payout, via NFLPA records.  For seven games (five starts), Reed received a $2 million signing bonus, a $1 million guaranteed base salary in 2013, and $2 million in future guaranteed salary advances.  He also received $62,500 for each game on the 46-man roster, which adds another $437,500 to the pile.

The total take:  $5.4375 million.

There’s a minor caveat.  With Reed clearing waivers, the Texans are on the hook for the remaining $411,764.70 in guaranteed base salary.  We’re told, however, that the deal has offset language, based on NFLPA records.  This means that, if Reed joins another team for the rest of the year, the Texans will get a dollar-for-dollar credit — and Reed will have to get more than a prorated $1 million salary in order to do anything other than play for free.

There’s a minor caveat to the caveat.  Reed could choose to take the balance of his base salary as termination pay, which permits double dipping.

And, of course, there’s a minor caveat to the caveat to the caveat.  Vested veterans (players with four or more years of service) may exercise the termination pay benefit only once in their careers.  So he would need to ask himself whether he wants to bank the ability to use termination pay for 2014 or beyond.

In sort of the same way you’re asking yourself why you took the time to read all of this.

As a practical matter, Reed likely doesn’t care about the $411,764,70.  He’s getting it, one way or the other.  He’ll definitely get it all from the Texans if he doesn’t sign with a new team until the postseason.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mike Florio posted why Reed was never coming to New England. Money.

Posted by Mike Florio on November 14, 2013, 9:33 AM EST

We’ve noticed several different versions of what safety Ed Reed received for his cup of chili with the Texans.

Here’s the full payout, via NFLPA records.  For seven games (five starts), Reed received a $2 million signing bonus, a $1 million guaranteed base salary in 2013, and $2 million in future guaranteed salary advances.  He also received $62,500 for each game on the 46-man roster, which adds another $437,500 to the pile.

The total take:  $5.4375 million.

There’s a minor caveat.  With Reed clearing waivers, the Texans are on the hook for the remaining $411,764.70 in guaranteed base salary.  We’re told, however, that the deal has offset language, based on NFLPA records.  This means that, if Reed joins another team for the rest of the year, the Texans will get a dollar-for-dollar credit — and Reed will have to get more than a prorated $1 million salary in order to do anything other than play for free.

There’s a minor caveat to the caveat.  Reed could choose to take the balance of his base salary as termination pay, which permits double dipping.

And, of course, there’s a minor caveat to the caveat to the caveat.  Vested veterans (players with four or more years of service) may exercise the termination pay benefit only once in their careers.  So he would need to ask himself whether he wants to bank the ability to use termination pay for 2014 or beyond.

In sort of the same way you’re asking yourself why you took the time to read all of this.

As a practical matter, Reed likely doesn’t care about the $411,764,70.  He’s getting it, one way or the other.  He’ll definitely get it all from the Texans if he doesn’t sign with a new team until the postseason.

[/QUOTE]

gee, I said the exact same thing yesterday and Harvey said I was full of crap and a moron

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

And the ship has sailed....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

At first it was LaRon Landry now Ed Reed.  I guess Rexy got his man again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to ANONMD08's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Certain types of people are drawn to Ryan. He is a defensive coach who challenges his players and gives them some free rein too.

I can't wait to see the people who thought he would work here come out now and trash him because it is the Jests.

Now ... I hope he really was gassed in Texas and it wasn't just Phillips' poor coaching.

Reed is dead to me! Haha.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Certain types of people are drawn to Ryan. He is a defensive coach who challenges his players and gives them some free rein too.

I can't wait to see the people who thought he would work here come out now and trash him because it is the Jests.

Now ... I hope he really was gassed in Texas and it wasn't just Phillips' poor coaching.

[/QUOTE]

read some of the other posts for all the 2 faced geniuses comments

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There was a reason the Ravens didn't want to keep him. He was one of the best safeties I've ever seen playing CF in about 6 years ago. There was a reason a rebuilding team doesn't want him. DMC does the same thing he does. Not tring to sound redundant I believe he's at the end of his career. Hall of famer no doubt but that ship has long sailed. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on this. I got the greatest respect for the man but he doesn't fit into NE's scheme. More pressing needs are MLB and NT on the defense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He would have been great depth.  I thought that was the general consensus... 

Now a Jet... hope he sucks after all, what can I say.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe great for depth, who cares. We don't have to face him. I really want to see how healthy he is.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He would have been terrible for depth.  Depth players have to contribute on special teams.  He'd just be taking up an empty roster spot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Imo, Talib getting healthy is a much bigger story than the Jests signing Reed. 

There's little chance we even see Reed against NE in a Jets' uni anyway, and he really isn't the same player he was just two or three years ago. There've been times recently where his solo tackles are highly suspect. 

I'm not slamming Reed; I think he's one of the best ever.  But there's a good reason the Pats didn't even make a play for him; Talib's getting healthy. 

Ed Reed should retire with his health.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Now that the "Reed to the Pats" saga is over, how about who the Pats are going to get to shore up their interior D line and LB corps with Wilfork, Kelly and Mayo out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Whatever... 

A. Thought Reed was smart enough to play for Belichick and not the Jets.. .   Wrong, he's stupid and greedy so f'off.  Anybody dumb enough to make that decision is definitely looking for the easy money and is not the kind of player you want on the team.

B.  Rex Ryan is capable of making this move just to one up New England, since he is so f'g desperate.  I made this point yeasterday and it proved true.   He made the move to prevent Reed from going to NE.   Hopefully it destroys their team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I thought it was a pretty much given that Reed was going to go to the Jets.  I believe I called it here on the forum Tuesday night.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Whatever... 

A. Thought Reed was smart enough to play for Belichick and not the Jets.. .   Wrong, he's stupid and greedy so f'off.  Anybody dumb enough to make that decision is definitely looking for the easy money and is not the kind of player you want on the team.

B.  Rex Ryan is capable of making this move just to one up New England, since he is so f'g desperate.  I made this point yeasterday and it proved true.   He made the move to prevent Reed from going to NE.   Hopefully it destroys their team.

[/QUOTE]

OR he simply has more familiarity with Rex Ryan and the Jets defensive system.  AND the Pats never actually made a play for him.  Both of which seem likely to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

Whatever... 

[/QUOTE]

Am I missing something?  Who said BB wanted him anyway?  Did both the Pats and Jets want him?  Did both make offers and he chose the Jets over the Pats?  I believe Reed said earlier in the year that he would play for BB.  So maybe BB didn't want him or give him an offer.

Maybe BB just wasn't interested!  Which could mean Talib is ready to return and his injury isn't serious.  If Talib was more serious I could see bringing Reed in, move DMC to Talibs spot but since an offer or interest from the Pats wasn't there then maybe that is a good sign about Talib.  I would much rather have Gregory, DMC and Talib all playing then I would Gregory, DMC and Reed at this point.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Never said a word about you being a moron if NE was or was not interested. We don't know the level of interest.

I called you a moron for saying you were worried about Talib and his need for surgery.

Tell the board again why he needs surgery. lol

[/QUOTE]

cant get enough huh? Shouldnt you wait until he actually plays again and for the rest of the season before you laugh at it. Has he not had the same injury 2 years in a row? Didnt Ed Reed just have hip surgery? Whats so far fetched? If he DOES have surgery in the offseason will that make him right or will you backpedal and say it was "only during the season" ?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Whatever... 

[/QUOTE]

Am I missing something?  Who said BB wanted him anyway?  Did both the Pats and Jets want him?  Did both make offers and he chose the Jets over the Pats?  I believe Reed said earlier in the year that he would play for BB.  So maybe BB didn't want him or give him an offer.

Maybe BB just wasn't interested!  Which could mean Talib is ready to return and his injury isn't serious.  If Talib was more serious I could see bringing Reed in, move DMC to Talibs spot but since an offer or interest from the Pats wasn't there then maybe that is a good sign about Talib.  I would much rather have Gregory, DMC and Talib all playing then I would Gregory, DMC and Reed at this point.

[/QUOTE]

Who knows....  ?   It seems kind of obvious they were at least interested.  Safe to assume there was some conversation.  Why else would belichick decline to comment...?

Doesn't matter now.  You were right he went to the Jets.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

http://1o983vok8t81oeev33de64c8nq.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/BZDAxyrIUAAAZ2Q.jpg-large.jpg

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Certain types of people are drawn to Ryan. He is a defensive coach who challenges his players and gives them some free rein too.

[/QUOTE]
    http://1o983vok8t81oeev33de64c8nq.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/BZDAxyrIUAAAZ2Q.jpg-large.jpg

[/QUOTE]

That about sums it up.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

rex had the inside straightand

Reed already knows the playbook

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

I can't lie I wanted them to sign reed. Thought he could've helped. I wish him nothing but the worse of luck with the jets. Lol!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Whatever... 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who knows....  ?   It seems kind of obvious they were at least interested.  Safe to assume there was some conversation.  Why else would belichick decline to comment...?

Doesn't matter now.  You were right he went to the Jets.

[/QUOTE]

It is now reported that Reed has stated he received a call from the patriots and made his decision based on the Defensive System familiarity.  So he in fact chose NY clown show over Patriots and Belichick.

Sections
Shortcuts