It's Official

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

It's Official

A quote by Rexcrement  at last nights Knick's game:

"....like there's no way, no way we don't get it done next year."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: It's Official

That is correct...  the Jets will play football next year...  don't know about that SB Rexy because NE will be a better team while your team may not!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

NY will need to battle it out for a wildcard again. Do they even make the playoffs?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

In Response to Re: It's Official:
     Fat people are funny,plus they stink and will eat all your food.
    Posted by helterskelter

So fat the Doc diagnosed him with flesh eating disease and gave him 80 years to live.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i seriously don't know how he can say these things with the number of his top players being FA's and the little cap room he has and few draft picks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

i seriously don't know how he can say these things with the number of his top players being FA's and the little cap room he has and few draft picks.
    Posted by natesubs

Easy; restructure, cut, extend, trade....repeat. It takes an owner that wants the Trophy very very badly. There really is no place called salary cap hell, it's make believe, but it takes a lot of money (much of it wasted) to play.

There is however a draft hell, it's when you mess up year after year and devoid your team of talent and then free agents don't want to come play with you no matter how much you'll pay. The Jets could end up there, but they draft pretty well:(

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

First: 1/31/2010
    Last: 2/12/2011
    Posted by natesubs

Easy; restructure, cut, extend, trade....repeat. It takes an owner that wants the Trophy very very badly. There really is no place called salary cap hell, it's make believe, but it takes a lot of money (much of it wasted) to play.

There is however a draft hell, it's when you mess up year after year and devoid your team of talent and then free agents don't want to come play with you no matter how much you'll pay. The Jets could end up there, but they draft pretty well:(
    --------------------------------------------------------

I totally disagree.  I've read that the Jets GM has identified Revis, Mangold, Harris, & Ferguson as their so called core four players.  That said, they already gave huge extensions to both Revis and Mangold, meaning that Harris and Ferguson should also expect huge paydays as well.  In addition, they also have to make a decision regarding their two WR's (Holmes & Edwards) both of whom will command big money; and then there's Cromartie who's also a FA. 

My point is that guys like Revis, you remember the guy that wanted to void his rookie deal after his 2nd season so that he could become the highest paid at his position, "that guy" and I'm sure others like him, don't exactly strike me as the type of players that will restructure their contracts.  They're a team of me first type of players.

Nevertheless, they will basically have to perform salary cap magic just in hopes of keeping the players they currently have (maintaining the status quo).  However, this is also a team full of aging players such a Tomlinson, Ellis, Taylor, Woody etc... who were all starters for them and will thus need to be replaced soon.

My whole thing is that the status quo hasn't been good enough to get them over the hump, so how can putting all of your eggs in one basket in order to pay every one top dollar gonna help them field a more competitive team from here on out?

Back to your original point, if these guys that I mentioned above just signed their huge mega deal contracts, then right off the bat you can rule out contract restructuring as a means of creating cap flexability.  Extensions as I pointed out is only going to eat up more, not less cap space, so I can't see how that helps them when guys are going to look to break the bank after coming off of the rookie deals.  Lastly, there's the trade route.  It's rare to see teams make player for player type of trades these days (not that it can't happen, it's just not the norm), meaning that this is an unlikely solution as well. 

Therefore, how can you expect to pay Revis $12mil, Mangold $9mil, Ferguson $9mil, Harris $8mil, Holmes $8-9 mil, Edwards $8-9mil, and in a few years Sanchez at ~ $14mil?  By my count thats 7 players making on avg $10 mil/yr or eating up $70 mil worth of cap space.  The 2009 cap was at $130 mil, so those 7 guys eat up more than 50% of their cap space.  There's a 53 man roster, so do you atleast see how this could be a problem?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=29c3c571146e0f1fe344feba96af5ffc&plckUserId=29c3c571146e0f1fe344feba96af5ffc " target="_parent" /> mthurl Posts: 1332 First: 1/31/2010 Last: 2/12/2011 In Response to Re: It's Official : i seriously don't know how he can say these things with the number of his top players being FA's and the little cap room he has and few draft picks. Posted by natesubs Easy; restructure, cut, extend, trade....repeat. It takes an owner that wants the Trophy very very badly. There really is no place called salary cap hell, it's make believe, but it takes a lot of money (much of it wasted) to play. There is however a draft hell, it's when you mess up year after year and devoid your team of talent and then free agents don't want to come play with you no matter how much you'll pay. The Jets could end up there, but they draft pretty well:( -------------------------------------------------------- I totally disagree.  I've read that the Jets GM has identified Revis, Mangold, Harris, & Ferguson as their so called core four players.  That said, they already gave huge extensions to both Revis and Mangold, meaning that Harris and Ferguson should also expect huge paydays as well.  In addition, they also have to make a decision regarding their two WR's (Holmes & Edwards) both of whom will command big money; and then there's Cromartie who's also a FA.  My point is that guys like Revis, you remember the guy that wanted to void his rookie deal after his 2nd season so that he could become the highest paid at his position, "that guy" and I'm sure others like him, don't exactly strike me as the type of players that will restructure their contracts.  They're a team of me first type of players. Nevertheless, they will basically have to perform salary cap magic just in hopes of keeping the players they currently have (maintaining the status quo).  However, this is also a team full of aging players such a Tomlinson, Ellis, Taylor, Woody etc... who were all starters for them and will thus need to be replaced soon. My whole thing is that the status quo hasn't been good enough to get them over the hump, so how can putting all of your eggs in one basket in order to pay every one top dollar gonna help them field a more competitive team from here on out? Back to your original point, if these guys that I mentioned above just signed their huge mega deal contracts, then right off the bat you can rule out contract restructuring as a means of creating cap flexability.  Extensions as I pointed out is only going to eat up more, not less cap space, so I can't see how that helps them when guys are going to look to break the bank after coming off of the rookie deals.  Lastly, there's the trade route.  It's rare to see teams make player for player type of trades these days (not that it can't happen, it's just not the norm), meaning that this is an unlikely solution as well.  Therefore, how can you expect to pay Revis $12mil, Mangold $9mil, Ferguson $9mil, Harris $8mil, Holmes $8-9 mil, Edwards $8-9mil, and in a few years Sanchez at ~ $14mil?  By my count thats 7 players making on avg $10 mil/yr or eating up $70 mil worth of cap space.  The 2009 cap was at $130 mil, so those 7 guys eat up more than 50% of their cap space.  There's a 53 man roster, so do you atleast see how this could be a problem?
    Posted by angel3781

They have Ferguson locked up as well, so that's three of the four that you called core, so only Harris is left to sign of those core guys and Harris will command some money, even if they Franchise him, making there issues even larger. 

They have seventeen free agents to sign, two of those are Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes.  Cromartie is also a Free Agent, along with cry baby Tomlinson.  Now that's a lot of work to get done with very limited money.  Probably the best thing that could happen to the YETS would be a non-season this year, so they get a lot of time to ponder how they could make anything good happen from this prescription for a roster disaster.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

lol @ Mt Hurl.

The only way you can convince players to take paycuts to stay is this:

1. Desire of said player or players to do so.
    2. Leverage with a legit core of SB ready players.
    3. Non-bloated contracts.

I fail to see where any of these factors are in line with the Jets organization.

Factor #2 is debatable with players like Mangold, Harris and Revis, but that's not enough. 

Sanchez, Shonn Greene with Keller and Cotchery?  Are these names really SB ready? I don't think so, obviously.  Solid players, but not players defenses have to gameplan for.

And if the CBA is somehow more favorable to the owners and how they want contracts structured moving forward, this is even a worse scenario for NY and teams like them.

You can't just lock down 4 or 5 players and pretend that's going to work.

We've seen why they Jets have overachieved, peeking by only being able to add aging veterans (Damien Woody, Kris Jenkins, Jason Taylor, LT, etc).

These names may not even be in NY next year. 

This approach would have worked if their core players were SB ready and not still trying to justify their bloated draft position (Sanchez, Keller, D'Bustashaw, etc).

Keep in mind what Sanchez and D'Bustashaw are being paid and what they do on the field compared to BETTER players at those positions throughout the NFL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

NY will need to battle it out for a wildcard again. Do they even make the playoffs?
    Posted by BBReigns

What do playoffs mean when you're one and down?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

lol @ Mt Hurl. The only way you can convince players to take paycuts to stay is this: 1. Desire of said player or players to do so. 2. Leverage with a legit core of SB ready players. 3. Non-bloated contracts. I fail to see where any of these factors are in line with the Jets organization. Factor #2 is debatable with players like Mangold, Harris and Revis, but that's not enough.  Sanchez, Shonn Greene with Keller and Cotchery?  Are these names really SB ready? I don't think so, obviously.  Solid players, but not players defenses have to gameplan for. And if the CBA is somehow more favorable to the owners and how they want contracts structured moving forward, this is even a worse scenario for NY and teams like them. You can't just lock down 4 or 5 players and pretend that's going to work. We've seen why they Jets have overachieved, peeking by only being able to add aging veterans (Damien Woody, Kris Jenkins, Jason Taylor, LT, etc). These names may not even be in NY next year.  This approach would have worked if their core players were SB ready and not still trying to justify their bloated draft position (Sanchez, Keller, D'Bustashaw, etc). Keep in mind what Sanchez and D'Bustashaw are being paid and what they do on the field compared to BETTER players at those positions throughout the NFL.
    Posted by BBReigns

I don't want to spoil the party here, but from a coaching standpoint, you game plan for every starting player on the opposing team. The mentioned were all instrumental in NE's loss to those very Jets. Always the pragmatic over the theoretical BB. Superfluous non commonsensical verbiage like this make me wonder why people post in the first place. A little coaching tenure may provide a little insight at whatever level so posters can reflect before uttering such a baseless remark. Not being critical just analytical. Your post are usually pretty much spot on and entertaining BB, so don't take it personally.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Re: It's Official : What do playoffs mean when you're one and down?
    Posted by SNAZZYP

It means you won enough games to get into the playoffs, unlike the Giants

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: It's Official : I don't want to spoil the party here, but from a coaching standpoint, you game plan for every starting player on the opposing team. The mentioned were all instrumental in NE's loss to those very Jets. Always the pragmatic over the theoretical BB. Superfluous non commonsensical verbiage like this make me wonder why people post in the first place. A little coaching tenure may provide a little insight to whatever level so posters can reflect before uttering such a baseless remark. Not being critical just analytical. Your post are usually pretty much spot on and entertaining BB, so don't take it personally.
    Posted by SNAZZYP

I have zero clue what you just said. I am not sure anyone else understands your point here either.

A poor Brady pass and a dropped Crumpler TD altered the game in the first half and gave NY confidence, from what I saw.

The fake punt botch also did not help.

It was a lot more execution and an offensive coordinator being outcoached during the game calling plays than anything else.

NE is the better team and NY played better that day. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

keep in mind Revis is already on record as saying that if he performs at the same level he is going to hold out to get a better deal 2 years after his previous holdout.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

And that's after he possibly collects upwards of 25 million (including tangible bonuses) in 2011.

lol

McCourty />Revis

16. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts