It's Officially the Offseason...where do we go from here?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

It's Officially the Offseason...where do we go from here?

This team is obviously a great team, with some flaws. BB has done a very good job of getting younger while still maintaining that championship caliber.

The biggest plusses-

Best QB ever in Brady

A deadly TE combo

A very good LB corps

A versatile D line with Wilfork, Jones and Nink

An up and coming secondary if they re-sign Talib

The Big question marks-

Health is obviously a big one. BB uses little white skill players better than anyone else out there, but small stature doesn't lend itself to durability all that well.
    On top of that, Gronk's style of play also opens him up to injury as we've seen the last 2 seasons and his time at Arizona.

The secondary, while markedly better, still needs strengthening. I think Talib/Dennard could be a terrific top 2 at the corners, and Arrington is a fairly solid nickle. McCourty has shown he's a good safety, but they need another solid safety, and a whole lot more depth. The framework is finally there, but it still needs improvment. I was really thinking Ed Reed might be worth throwing money at (without hamstringing them financially), but Brady's Cobb slide yesterday might have re-invigorated that bad blood. I hope I'm wrong, because he would be a great addition.

I love the aggressiveness and size of Mayo, Hightower and Spikes, but they may just be too slow in pass coverage. They're great against the run, but the short passing game is what killed the Pats yesterday. Baltimore was always able to pick up that short 1st down pass. If this is the group BB wants, then the pass rush and scheme needs to cover it up.

Welker, while great and worth keeping, just isn't clutch when he needs to be. Last year was a bad pass, but there were quite a few yesterday that he simply dropped. That can't happen.

So, as far as improving, I think they take that shot at Reed, and they draft for d-line help and more secondary depth, and they need to get a big play reciever...I'd say tall speed over big bulky red zone guy...but I think a little height is needed with the shorter wideouts they have now.

I dunno, I think this is all fairly attainable, how about you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Re: It's Officially the Offseason...where do we go from here?

Another Brady excuse thread. No one wins a playoff game while scoring 3 points in 3 quarters.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

Another Brady excuse thread. No one wins a playoff game while scoring 3 points in 3 quarters.

Brady deserves a BIG slice of the blame pie no doubt But we still need to shore up the defense in a big way.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Well,

The first thing we have to endure is all the total clowns that want to fire BB, trade Brady, Get rid of Welker, and scrap the whole defense. Whne they stop crying, and go away from the forum, we will still have a great team that will be a contender next season. Hopefully they make the right moves to bring back a trophy.

Until then....call 911....because there are a heck of a lot of cliff jumpers ready to take the plunge today.....holy crying babies!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fessin. Show fessin's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

Well,

The first thing we have to endure is all the total clowns that want to fire BB, trade Brady, Get rid of Welker, and scrap the whole defense. Whne they stop crying, and go away from the forum, we will still have a great team that will be a contender next season. Hopefully they make the right moves to bring back a trophy.

Until then....call 911....because there are a heck of a lot of cliff jumpers ready to take the plunge today.....holy crying babies!!

Well said!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

THis is in no way a Brady excuse thread...where did I make any excuse for his poor play? That was one of the worst games he's ever played but this is an offseason improvement thread, and I'm not seeing any way they're going to improve upon Brady. This was all to discuss what we thing the Pats can do to improve, and those are the areas I see as the biggest need.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Back to work since it's Monday. Hopefully to the cape in the summer. other than that i have no plans.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm just wondering why you mentioned white? What does that have to do with anything? THey are football players first and foremost. Color makes no difference

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to jgallag1's comment:

BB uses little white skill players better than anyone else out there...

Come on.  Do we need this?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

It's pointless to discuss players untill BB fixes

1. Defensive Co-Ordinator

2. At times, Offensive Game plans that seem out of sync as to how the game is going

3. What has happened to the Patriots famous ability to adjust at half time

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I really think if they don't add a defensive tackle to help Wilfork out we will be in the same boat that we've been in for the last 8 years...not good enough. A dominant defensive tackle would kill so many birds with one stone...linebackers that can't cover to save their lives (may not be anywhere as noticable), corners that can't turn their heads (they may not have too), safeties that can't cover (they may not have too).

This team has missed a Seymore type of player for a long time - get one and everything could be different. They swung and missed on some of the cheaper options...Fenene, Ellis, Haynesworth. It's time to go after something real.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Sign Ed Reed.

Convince Seymour to come back to Foxboro.

Sign Talib as long as he doesn't ask for ridiculous money.

That is a defense for you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

Since we are about $35Mil

Offer Wes 2/18 if he wants more let him walk.                     Cap hit 9Mil

OR

Bowe 4 / 44      20 Guarnteed.                                       Cap hit first year 9Mil

See if Tony Gonzalez will play for a ring, offer 1/ 7Mil.        Cap hit  7Mil

Anthony Spencer 5/55 with 25 Guarnteed.                         Cap hit 10 Mil

Talib 5 / 45 20 Guarnteed                                                Cap hit 9Mil

There is 35 Mil

Restructure Brady, Vince any Mayo to free up another 15 Mil.

Sea Bass 5 / 30                            Cap hit 1st year 3 Mil then 6.75 Mil.

Ed Reed. 2 / 15 M il.                                                    Cap hit 7.5 Mil.

Draft

1st round  Margus Hunt .

2nd round   Tyrann Mathieu ( Mathieu and Dennard ).

3rd round Kenny Stills .

OK You can slam me all you want.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I want to go wherever NEGAME2 is.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

1) Figure out how to keep Gronk on the field....

2) re-sign or find a replacement for Talib 

3) sign a legit pash rushing 4-3 DE

4)Sign or trade for a legit SS

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

No offense was intended with the little white guys comment. I was just saying he finds guys with talent that everyone else passes over...Welker, Woodhead, Edleman...there's a trend. The "white" wasn't saying they have to go out and get an African American player...just that they need to break the little guy trend and get a bit taller at wideout.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

1. Sign Talib

2. Sign Vollmer

3. Sign Welker

4. Get a solid DT who has some pass rush skills

5. Get another DE who has pass rush skills and is able to set the edge

6. Get a 3rd CB that can cover and back up Dennard and Talib and get on the field as a 3rd CB

7. Upgrade WR. I like Lloyd. But we need another WR who can GET OPEN and is a threat in the red zone... Harvin would be great in general  though not the red zone target.

8. Upgrade either C or G (which would upgrade depth as one of the starters would be next up on the depth charts

9. Sign Steven Jackson to be a part time RB and short yardage guy and playoff go to guy when wanting to dominate with some power.

10. Dump the DBs coaches. Fire them. Cut them. By them a one way plane ticket.

11. Dump the special teams coach. Fir him. Cut him..... KO coverage is too often suspect. Blocking on KO returns are too often poorly executed (I do watch the blocking and it just is not good).

12. When you get to the playoffs next year put something extra into the O and D game plans in EACH and EVERY playoff game (the O and D game plans v the Ravens was forgetable at best).

I guess this is my list.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

And what is the excuse for you?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

And what is the excuse for you?

i hear glen bames brady for the california brush fires, hurricane katrina and the bp oil spill...but it may all be a rumour

22. This post has been removed.