Its over and done with but here is Mike Reiss' take on the penalty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Its over and done with but here is Mike Reiss' take on the penalty

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

This will live in infamy and it goes down in history as one of the many Jets shenanigans in the recent history between the two teams.

They haven't beaten the Pats  in like 6 straight regular season games and they were desperate to find a new way to cheat to a win.

They did.

The Jets beat the Pats in that playoff game a couple of years ago.  Remember when Belichick benched his #1 receiver for making fun of Ryan?

Thanks, BB.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

This will live in infamy and it goes down in history as one of the many Jets shenanigans in the recent history between the two teams.

They haven't beaten the Pats  in like 6 straight regular season games and they were desperate to find a new way to cheat to a win.

They did.

The Jets beat the Pats in that playoff game a couple of years ago.  Remember when Belichick benched his #1 receiver for making fun of Ryan?

Thanks, BB.

Playoff games don't count.  It's all about the regular season.   I recall a far more recent victory than that one anyway.  Feels like it was just a couple of days ago.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

Wow.  You really hate your starting QB.  I'd be willing to bet a few teams would take him off your hands.  Maybe it's time to cut him lose at his cap number.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:

They did.

Thanks, BB.

Playoff games don't count.  It's all about the regular season.   I recall a far more recent victory than that one anyway.  Feels like it was just a couple of days ago.

Of course they count.  Tht was in the 2010 season!  The Jets had lost 4 straight regular season games, one an embarassing display on national tv that no human will ever forget, replete with a QB bust Buttfumble that will live in infamy on blooper reels from now until enternity.

Congrats!

This year, you had to cheat, all but pay off the refs and orchestrate a 15 yard penalty as a hope to try to win your home SB this year.

Wow!

THe NFL is really impressed with that!  Wow!  

Step 1. Threaten Goodell.

Step 2. Threaten Refs.

Step 3. Act like your team is really a 4-3 team instead of a 2-5 club so far in 2013.

Explain your cheating accusation.  I'm not sure I follow. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

Wow.  You really hate your starting QB.  I'd be willing to bet a few teams would take him off your hands.  Maybe it's time to cut him lose at his cap number.

Like Revis? Remember whe you said he was a HOFer after only playing 3 full NFL seasons?

Tears!

What does a Tampa player have to do with you hating your QB? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dazza02129. Show dazza02129's posts

You've gone from they changed the rule to the Jets cheated?  You know it was the Pats who got caught cheating, right?

Oh so it's only the 'caught' cheating part that matters? 

The Jets did the exact same thing on the Patriots tying field goal, yet weren't caught. In your opinion then, should the outrage be more properly directed towards the fact that the refs let that go rather than award a 15yd and first down to the Pats to take them to the 15 with a little time left to have a few more goes at the win? 

I'm sure you would have been perfectly fine with that outcome if it had been called at such a crucial moment in the game, no? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to dazza02129's comment:

You've gone from they changed the rule to the Jets cheated?  You know it was the Pats who got caught cheating, right?

Oh so it's only the 'caught' cheating part that matters? 

The Jets did the exact same thing on the Patriots tying field goal, yet weren't caught. In your opinion then, should the outrage be more properly directed towards the fact that the refs let that go rather than award a 15yd and first down to the Pats to take them to the 15 with a little time left to have a few more goes at the win? 

I'm sure you would have been perfectly fine with that outcome if it had been called at such a crucial moment in the game, no? 

Are you equally outraged about the non call on the Pats vs the Saints?  Was that you first time to ever witness a non call?  You must be new to the game. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

so the Pats lost because of a missed call against the Jets?

Cartoon head, the call was correct. Unusual, but correct. Let it go. The Pats lost a game they should have won. Stop bellyaching and post something of substance other than lapping up everything Harvey spits out after listening to 98.5

Hey RKrap you clearly didnt read my post. Never said the call wasn't correct. Just reiterated what Reiss said; that the same play was observed several times during the game by both teams but not called until OT. But your a negative nancy that spends all your time in here trying to convince folks your important! LOL Go call Reiss you worthless RKrap troll! ESPN my backside.....troll!

Cartoon head, sorry to hurt your feelings, but after the 52nd post on the same topic, hasnt it been covered well enough?

Yes, I did read your post, and understood it very well...so what is your point? That Reiss also thinks the ref's should have called the same penalty on the Jets earlier in the game? Ok, thanks for pointing that out. Now go back to your usual posting nonsense and Rusty lapping.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

They did.

Thanks, BB.

Of course they count.  Tht was in the 2010 season!  The Jets had lost 4 straight regular season games, one an embarassing display on national tv that no human will ever forget, replete with a QB bust Buttfumble that will live in infamy on blooper reels from now until enternity.

Congrats!

This year, you had to cheat, all but pay off the refs and orchestrate a 15 yard penalty as a hope to try to win your home SB this year.

Wow!

THe NFL is really impressed with that!  Wow!  

Step 1. Threaten Goodell.

Step 2. Threaten Refs.

Step 3. Act like your team is really a 4-3 team instead of a 2-5 club so far in 2013.

Explain your cheating accusation.  I'm not sure I follow. 

You don't follow much, moron.  It's that NJ water, apparently.  Or the fact you don't get enough sun in that basement of yours.

When you lose to Cincy and the NOs, you by bye bye as you do every year.

.500 or sub .500 teams don't make the playoffs.

It's hard to follow an empty accusation of cheating with nothing saying what that cheating was.  It seems that you don't know because your response is about Cincy, New orleans and NJ water.  Is that your cheating explanation?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dazza02129. Show dazza02129's posts

Are you equally outraged about the non call on the Pats vs the Saints?  Was that you first time to ever witness a non call?  You must be new to the game. 

Nicely ignored my questions I see. But sure i'll bite. 

No I like consistancy in any game with referees, and they consistantly didn't call that penalty in the Saints game, so I have no problem with it. If they had called it against Saints and then not against the Pats, sure I would think that was unfair.

It's the arbitrary nature of the penalty calling that is a problem - for instance why didn't the refs simply offset that penalty with a holding penalty on the O-line of the Jets on that play. From the replays they quite clearly could have done, but everyone knows that holding is only holding when, well when the refs arbitrarily decide it is? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

Nicely ignored my questions I see. But sure i'll bite. 

No I like consistancy in any game with referees, and they consistantly didn't call that penalty in the Saints game, so I have no problem with it. If they had called it against Saints and then not against the Pats, sure I would think that was unfair.

It's the arbitrary nature of the penalty calling that is a problem - for instance why didn't the refs simply offset that penalty with a holding penalty on the O-line of the Jets on that play. From the replays they quite clearly could have done, but everyone knows that holding is only holding when, well when the refs arbitrarily decide it is? 

I missed it the question.  But yes.  If it was a penalty, it should have been called and however it played out from there, so be it.  Watch the two plays.  Not even close to the same thing.  Blaming refs for bad coaching is the losers mantra.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

Bill_Belichick.jpg

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

I wasn't going to get into this debate about the pushing penalty, but after seeing so many people saying it was the "right call," I felt I had to chime in.

The refs absolutely made the wrong call, even though the rule was correctly applied. The ultimate reason for having refs is to ensure that the game is played fairly. So if you're a professional ref, you have to call the game consistently to ensure fairness.

People who argue that the rule is the rule, and the timing of the penalty shouldn't factor into its enforcement are overlooking the big picture. Yes, I agree that if the first occurrence of that pushing foul was in the overtime FG, then that was a correct enforcement, no matter that it occurs in OT. But as has been noted often, this pushing action had gone on for 4 quarters prior to OT (not counting the 6 past weeks and preseason). If you do not call it the first or second time, you cannot call it the third time.

If you think about it, accuracy of calls is NOT the most crucial element for refs, consistency is. Again, refs are there to maintain fairness of the game. They do not necessarily have to be spot on with the calls to be fair as long as they are consistent in how they call the penalties for both sides. On Sunday, they were consistent for four quarters (in not calling the penalty), and then ruined the fairness of the game by flipping their call.

I mean, it is what it is, and we're not going to get the ball back now. But there's no doubt the refs screwed up with that last call.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

First, what it means to the Jets:

The Jets are a 4-3 team so far but in my latest power rantings they're playing like a 6-10 team at this point.  I rank them at #24 in the NFL. 

Worse, the Rex Ryan Jets are absolutely famous for swan-diving in December.  I suspect that it has something to do with signing a bunch of hard-drinking or drugging players, guys that traditionally run out of stamina in December.  In other years the Jets had a hefty lead that they could take into December and then swan-dive out of the playoffs.  This year they don't have that margin to spare.  Rex can always go back to being a defensive coordinator next year. 

The Jets discovered a wonderful legal loophole where the NFL misprinted its own new rule and everyone in the NFL, teams and refs, went by the misprint.  Ryan saved the loophole for exactly the right game -- he probably could have used it any other week but he wanted something extra to beat the Patriots.  He called a pretty low percentage play, kicking a 56 yarder, that normally would tend to lose the game for his team, and that's when he explicitly warned the refs about the rule. 

In the grand scheme of things, the Jets are still primed to blow this season.  Good riddance.

As far as the Patriots are concerned, yes, they lost a game.  However, the entire NFL is ticked off that the refs would throw a division rivalry game just like they did.  Maybe a make-up call is coming someday.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Cartoon head, the call was correct. Unusual, but correct. Let it go. The Pats lost a game they should have won. Stop bellyaching and post something of substance other than lapping up everything Harvey spits out after listening to 98.5

You stop bellyaching. If you think your protestations of people rightly slamming a mickey mouse call at the end of a game will be effective, you are entirely wrong.

Nobody is making excuses for the team's poor play. But making that BS call at that time is the epitome of suspicious or incompetent officiating. You just don't pull some obscure rule out of your azz and decide a game like that at the final moment and get away unscathed.

I seldom complain about calls, but this was highway robbery, whether the call was technically correct or not. It's not about "a loss to the jets", they are the fools who live and die over these matchups that have no more bearing than any other game. It's about officials taking the game away from the players and deciding the outcome. You can call something on virtually every play in the NFL. When the entire game is on the line you just don't pull a stunt like this to decide it. Period.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

THis is the second point for emphasis.  The official obliges Ryan and calls the flag which is what Ryan wanted.    RYAN wants the FLAG...!!!    This is where an officials obligation is to call a fair game and should have informed clearly the violation to Belichick and how it would be called before the game. 

The referrees job and the purpose of the rule is to PREVENT THE VIOLATION ,  not oblige a coach by trying to "catch " a team at a crucial time in the game.

Believe the source or not, the story has come out that Belichick was warned about the violation and refused to change his approach.

I have no doubt Bill can be that anal. But, that doesn't change the fact that the call at that time was mickey mouse officiating. There were other opportunities to showcase their new rule other than at that crucial moment to decide a game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

Hey RKrap you clearly didnt read my post. Never said the call wasn't correct. Just reiterated what Reiss said; that the same play was observed several times during the game by both teams but not called until OT. But your a negative nancy that spends all your time in here trying to convince folks your important! LOL Go call Reiss you worthless RKrap troll! ESPN my backside.....troll!

Do you think that it is uncommon for teams to be warned, even more than one time, prior to the penalty being called?  I've heard refs telling DBs to knock it off or they will throw the flag many times before actually throwing the flag for PI.  If you can't call it on a play that has a serious outcome, when would you call it.  Players need to know that at crucial moments the rules are rules.  Seems that the big complaint has gone from 1) it wasn't a penalty to 2) they changed the wording to 3)they shouldn't call it at that point in the game to 4) It's Rex's fault for ratting to 5) Why didn't they call it earlier ...... 29)acceptance of got caught cheating.

Does it ever bother you that your offerings here are completely inane and worthless?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I have no doubt Bill can be that anal. But, that doesn't change the fact that the call at that time was mickey mouse officiating. There were other opportunities to showcase their new rule other than at that crucial moment to decide a game.

I agree that it was a bad time to make the call, but at the same time, if the coach wasn't violating a rule he has stated that he was aware of, none of this would be an issue.

This isn't on the refs calling a penalty.

It's on Belichick for failing to follow the rules of the game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In 2012 the replacement refs made a game-throwing call at the Baltimore-Patriots game.  Baltimore was going to go on to homefield advantage, except Baltimore was a particularly elderly team that oddly enough limped to a 1-4 finish to their season.  So, in the end the faux field goal call did get Baltimore a #4 seed division championship slot, but it didn't affect the Patriots at all.  The Pats got two home playoff games.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I agree that it was a bad time to make the call, but at the same time, if the coach wasn't violating a rule he has stated that he was aware of, none of this would be an issue.

No, it's on the refs. You don't let Bills analness dictate how you call things. You don't directly affect the W/L record on tickey-tack BS just to teach "that anal BB" a lesson. You do things like that earlier, on an xp or a FG in the 2nd quarter. If you called it earlier, they go ahead and decide the game on it. No problem with that.

I could care less about a loss to the jets. That means nothing more than any other loss to me. I care about mickey-mouse officiating that takes it upon themselves to decide a game. You can make a call on virtually every NFL play, if you want. My problem is with; they wanted to.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

How come there is always missing facts in this scenario. It is not time to let it go because the FACTS, which are stubborn things I know, bear out the truth.

1. The league sent out a memo to advise officials to look out for this type of play because it hadn't been enforced yet this season. That was supposedly the week before this game.

2. The Patriots are shown on film in the Saints game doing the same. Rob Ryan notes that, and most likely passes it on to the NFL and to his brother Rex.

3. Game time. The key that needs to be investigated here is WHEN did Rex and the Jets alert the officials. I think this is extremely critical here in how much collusion went on here.

4. Now it is official. On the Pats game tying FG attempt, the Jets did the same thing. Period. As was notated above, any push is a penalty. The same official who flagged the Patriots saw the play a did nothing. Heck, that would have given the Pats a couple of more chances at grabbing a TD. If they were "on alert" from the league for that at type of play why didn't they call the Jets? Don't say he missed the call. He has one responsibility. 

5. Overtime, the Jets kick a 56 yarder that has zero chance of making it because they had to have known a flag was being thrown. Miss, flag. Game. 

These are all facts, and the stuff before and after can be argued. This is all that matter. It cannot be disputed not ignored or called irrelevant. How Belicheck can be blamed for doing the same as his counterpart across the field did just 8 minutes or so earlier is unfair.  Any self respecting journalist would hunt this story down because it sets an awful precedent. I can do it, but if your doing it, I'm gonna have the officials hurt you. Again, these are FACTS and indisputable. This is why it can't go away because it is so deep and compromises the league so much, when you combine it with other not so glaring game changing calls in the last few years against a select few teams.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Here is the only fact needed:

The Patriot broke a rule and got flagged for it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

Lol and you'll keep beating that worthless drum. That's fine. You want to have a league that is run week to week based on who they want to win?  It's pretty much like that anyway, but you want it to get worse? Your indifference and those like you will ensure that becomes reality.  Good. The more they do, and not get called ( the replacement refs last year was the ulitimate how much will they take test) the bolder they will get. And people will have you and people like you to thank. Thanks for helping to drive this league into the ground. Good job. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dazza02129. Show dazza02129's posts

I wish it were that simple, but there were a bunch of other instances of the Pats breaking the same rule and not getting flagged for it, and a bunch of times other teams broke the same rule and did not get flagged for it, but no other instances of any other team breaking the rule and getting flagged for it. 

Which of these facts should bother you the most? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I wish it were that simple, but there were a bunch of other instances of the Pats breaking the same rule and not getting flagged for it, and a bunch of times other teams broke the same rule and did not get flagged for it, but no other instances of any other team breaking the rule and getting flagged for it. 

Which of these facts should bother you the most? 

I speed on the expressway all the time.  Other cars speed as well.  I got a speeding ticket but the cars around me didn't get pulled over.

If I hadn't been speeding, it wouldn't be a problem.

If they didn't break the rule, it wouldn't be a problem.

If Woody had gone straight to the police, none of this would have happened.

Sections
Shortcuts