It's the GM.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: It's the GM.

In Response to Re: It's the GM.:
    t is hard to defend what I saw yesterday and have seen before.  A defense that is consistently presented with third and long that allows the opposing offense to convert almost seemingly at will is not a defense on a team that is super bowl bound. We have been saying that this defense will get better but is that happening?  No, it isn't, the same issues that were present last season are still present and now the release of Bodden and sending Dowling to IR, must raise questions about the secondary for any fan.  If you say no and present some other analysis based on whatever stat, you are whistling past the grave yard.  Will the defense look better on other occasions?  Probably.  However, it is the quality teams like Pittsburgh, the Ravens and the Packers that the PATS must beat in this league to be successful at the highest level.  With this defense, that is unlikely to happen.  That this is to be laid at Belichik's door is obvious, as he buys and cooks the groceries.
    Posted by Dessalines

Well he is burning up the groceries right now.  They looked ok coming out the super market, but Bill is doing something.  Either baking when he should be frying... or sautee'ing instead of simmering in the wok. In any event, I dont like Bill's cooking this year...He needs to hire a real Chef!

Oh, and stop shopping at family dollar and atleast go to Shaw's...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

And with this troll based post, this looks absolutely fanastic and should sell very well in its opening week: http://www.amazon.com/War-Room-Belichick-Building-Perfect/dp/0062082396/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320067439&sr=8-1 "In this landmark book, New York Times bestselling author Michael Holley takes readers behind the scenes of three contending National Football League teams and into the brilliant minds of Bill Belichick and his two former protÉgÉs Thomas Dimitroff and Scott Pioli. Holley masterfully shows how a single idea conceived by Belichick in 1991—how to build the perfect team—triggered a journey filled with miraculous finishes, heartbreaking losses, broken relationships, and Super Bowl championships. Readers are given unprecedented access—from the draft room to the locker room to the sidelines—and insights into why Belichick is considered to be the NFL’s best coach and premier strategist. Before he achieved success, though, Belichick was barely surviving as a coach. War Room opens in Cleveland, where Belichick, a young head coach, worked in an office with two employees in their late twenties: Pioli, a low-paid scouting assistant, and Dimitroff, a groundskeeper and part-time scout. After Belichick was fired by the Browns in 1996, the three men were in separate cities and seemingly a lifetime away from being recognized as leaders and champions. But soon they were reunited in New England, where they refined and burnished Belichick’s method for constructing a winning team, overseeing one of the greatest franchises in modern NFL history. These three master strategists are now competitors. Belichick continues at the helm of the New England Patriots, while Pioli is now in charge of the Kansas City Chiefs and Dimitroff is running the Atlanta Falcons. And even though they no longer work for the same franchise, they do have a common goal: building the perfect team, one draft pick and one trade at a time. War Room is their unique and often astonishing story." As for the game.... It's the QB and the offense for those who actually watch the games. If this offense can't score more than 17-20 points, we aren't winning a SB in this era's NFL. It didn't happen in SB 42 and it won't happen now with Goodell's offensive based NFL. And it's certainly not going to happen with officiating as lopsided as what that was on the road. Don't expect road wins when your offense looks anemic off a Bye week. The D adjusted nicely and pretty much slammed the door in the second half. What is arguably the most talented offense in the NFL, simply refuses to establish a run and be phsyical.  Every time they do, they win. Everytime they don't, they lose or have to scrap just to try to win. Look at Dallas 2 weeks ago.  13 points scored in 57 minutes? The offense is underachieving. Pretty simple. The O Line, Brady (at times with high and bad throws) and Bill O'Brien are simply coming up very inconsistent over 4 qtrs. Logan Mankins is the most overrated O Lineman in the NFL. Even Brady said it and finally admitted it.  Bout time. The first step to admitting a problem is admitting it. Going 3 and out over and over and over has go to stop.   It has to. When was the last time this team deferred the toss or even just simply got a FG out of halftime on a drive? Last year sometime?
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

I don't know what the first part of your post has to do with what was display yesterday but I disagree with your analysis about the game that says this was the offense's loss not the defense.  A good solid defense creates three and outs, and gets off the field on third down consistently and these were hall marks of the defenses in the S.B. years.  In games like yesterdays, defenses keep the offenses in the game, not the other way around, by stopping the other team and keeping things close. Yes I know they made them kick field goals in the red zone but they failed to stop the Steelers offesnseany earlier than say the ten yard line. Is that what you call good defense? If they had been able to get the ball back in the hands of the offense on those three and longs, they would have prevented any scoring and provided more opportunities for the offense to score but they did not do that and very consistently I might add. Not a positive. 

Teams built on offensive power with poor to mediocre defenses are not going to win Super Bowls.  The problem is not Logam Makins, nor the OC, nor anything else offense related.  This loss was a team loss really, on defense, offense, (well handled by the Steelers, IMO), and special teams, (missed field goal and an execrable on side kick attempt, not to mention kick off coverage). Its not in the STATS Rusty, it is what we see on the screen and what I see is a defense that is substandard. We are what? Seven to eight weeks in now and everything is remaining pretty static frankly.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

I agree, that it's a 3 phase loss. I agree Pitt needs credit. On the flip side, Pitt played as good as they could and they only won by barely a TD. Not trying to go into homer mode here, but if there is a asliver lining, we all know NE can beat that team with better play. So, let's not go berserk here. I am simply calling out the frauds who claim the personnel stinks and all this crap, blaming the D only.  You can't come on here every single time we lose and blame the D. If the jets plalyoff loss was egregious, as was the Buffalo loss and now this one, ,what is the pattern? What is SOURCE of the failures? There is only one answer. The source is the offense. Sure, the D didn't bail out the offense in those games, but hwo much do you expect a D to take when it has to be close to perfect, especially in a road game or against a good offense? It's not exclusive, but the root continues to actually be the pass first/shotgun offense. YOu can't sit here and deny that if your offense was better in both the Buffalo and Pitt games, EACH really in the second halves with more proactive ball control, that this team wouldn't be 7-0. If Brady doesn't toss 4 Ints, we maybe hit  in the halftime drive yesterday, etc, we possibly win. In an offensive NFL, the offensive is being helped out, not the D. The entire league is centered around scoring with officials whipping out flags left and right and ROger Goodell looking to sell the league overseas via a sexy offensive style league. To pretend our worst and most annoying losses doesn't stem from the fundamental failures of this McDaniels base spread, is a little ridiculous at this point. I do agree the TOP issue hurt the offense in this game, but the fact is, Brady is lining up in that shotgun way too much when he shouldn't be. This is another flat out obvius example of a superior Def Coordinator outcalling our offensive coordinator. It's so true. We aren't giong to be facing a bad or mediocre D in Jannuary, so when fans come whipping on  here glowing over Brady's opening night stats blowout in Miami or not seeing the forest for the trees in the SD game, leading into Buffalo, and how the D actually helps the offende in Oakland, NY and against Dallas, I cannot help you. We must watch different games. The offense came off this Bye was didn't match Pitt's intensity.  Asbolutely zero sustainability, etc. At least the D battled and showed some balls in the 2nd half after BB adjusted a bit playing a bit more man. That's on BB, not the players as much. Can't say the same about our unprepared offense in EACH half.

Well I'll agree with you about this, the loss to Buffalo was on the offense.

Frankly Rusty, you are one of the most passionate fans I've ever run across and your analysis is very good, better than anything I usually come up with but here my thing, I go by whay I see on the screen and what I see onthe screen are a host of things that I have been watching for about two and half years now.  It hasn't changed much and though it has been successful in the regular season, (and I appreciate every single victory), they key to ultimate success this year does not lie with this crew of players, considering the other elite competition, which we can agree, does not iclude the team we both hate to death, the YETS.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

In Response to Re: It's the GM. : You can't say that when you said nothing in the Jets or Dallas game and then ignore how bad the offense was in the Dallas game. In the Jets game, a Brady INT (Hernandez's fault) made that close than it needed to be, but O"Brien wisely stuck with the run and kept at it. They scored 13 points, dude, over 57 minutes against Dallas at home! O'Brien has been awful twice in a row and in each game we refused to run it. Dallas has a good, teams are clearly going to have the utmost intensity when they play this team, so we need to take it seriously, especially on offense. Running the ball helps the receivers, O Line Brady. There simply is no denying this fact anymore.  There's just no denying it. I am not expecting my D to old teams to 14 points or less every week, epsecially on the road. Not happening by really any NFL defense week to week. Not happening. As for the new Michale Holley book that is being released soon about BB's genius in building a team through is career, I thought it was a comical time to post it and expose some of the irrationals here who proclaim BB isn't any good. Absolute buffoonery here after a loss. The guy had literally the best draft in over a decade in 2010 and people can't see straight, because the D gave up 23 points (Better than last year with our offense being worse), on the road to a Pitt team unwilling to lose two years in a row to NE at home.

LIke I said, passionate in spades.  Keep it up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

you can't win games scoring 13 points. the play calling was horrific again, where was ridley? the steelers were ready for the spread and they got it. imo the offense is just as much or more to blame in this one.

i cringe everytime gostkowski comes out for a 42 yard attempt..

we see this every year and usually they bounce back and play at their best after a game like this. it wasn't as bad as the 2004 halloween or the 2003 opening season loses. the patriots bounce back sunday.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Our defense was gashed and our new look 4-3 is questionable and our new look secondary it just not good.

But it is still a tough pill to swallow when watching our offense struggle against a Steeler team that can't stop the run and was missing 3 of its best 4 defensive players. Harrison,Farrior and Woodley going down in the 3rd qtr.

Our offensive game plan didn't make much sense to me, and it didn't change the entire game.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: It's the GM. : LIke I said, passionate in spades.  Keep it up.
    Posted by Dessalines

Agree completely. Although I don't always agree with Russ, I certainly appreciate his passion for this team.

Russ...I think the D did a decent job adjusting at half yesterday. The question I have is if they did such a good job adjusting, why kick an onside kick, when you could have pinned them down at their 20, and employ a similar all out rush? BB didn't do his D any favors yesterday with that decision.

Also Russ, I think your post about the "BB war room", "how to build a team", is telling because it directly runs counter to what BB has done in the draft over the past 6 or 7 years. That is when the rebuilding process began, and with over 20 1-3 round picks in the past 5 years, we simply choked on talent selection. Instead, we have a terrible secondary, an old, rented DL, mediocre LB's, and no "strike fear in them" WRs. Our talent evaulation specific to the draft (less 2010) has been absolutely horrendous.

So fast forward....as PatsEng and Babe pointed out, we sh!t the bed on the draft and now have a real talent gap when compared to top tier teams like GB, Pitt, etc. And, it doesn't look to get any better next year, when you have a bunch of 1 year DL rentals seemingly ready to retire or run out of gas.

Look, as much as I love your analysis and this team, I think I have finally woke up and came to the realization that this team is just not that good..or at least good enough to get to the big dance and win it all...AND, this is on BB's shoulders.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I swear Bb's draft picks are made as much to surprise everybody as they are to pick the most useful player. there is a narcissism/arrogance factor without a doubt. what's the point of going 14-2 if you're just going to overreact to Welkers foot jokes in dictatorial style, make your authority the most important thing, and deflate your team before playing the hated jets? not to mention being slow to adjust to the new pass friendly rules with better cover lbs and safeties, and refusing to draft a skill player with homering ability everytime they touch the ball.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

From 2007 through 2011 BB has spent 3 1st round picks, 7 2nd round picks, 2 3rd round picks, 2 4th round picks, 5 6th round picks and 5 7th round picks on defensive players.  The breakdown is as follows:

1st Round: Meriweather (no longer with the team), Mayo (pro bowler), McCourty (ridiculous rookie year, slight regression this year but good pick).

2nd Round: Undeniable busts (Wheatley, Butler).  Haven't shown much and getting close to bust status (Cunningham, Brace).  Decent developing player (Spikes), Good player (Chung) and we can't know about Dowling until he sees the field.

3rd Round: Crable and McKenzie both busts

4th Round: Neither with team

6th Round: Pryor can't stay healthy.  Rest are either gone or too young to tell.

7th Round: Deaderick is okay, but he seems to always be in BB's doghouse.  Rest are either gone or too young to tell.

The yield on the 6th and 7th round picks really isn't a huge deal because you never expect THAT much to come out of those rounds, but the performance thus far in the 2nd and 3rd round is mediocre at best.

To BB's credit he has done pretty well on the offensive side of the ball, but the fact is that with the mass exodus of talent we had from the Defense in the past few years we couldn't afford to be mediocre (hence all the FA's and undrafted).  I think some of the people here trash BB as a GM too much, but I think the arguments that we haven't adequately restocked the D are legitimate.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Might not Pittsburgh's old team have had something to do with the pats not playing a clean game?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I swear Bb's draft picks are made as much to surprise everybody as they are to pick the most useful player. there is a narcissism/arrogance factor without a doubt. what's the point of going 14-2 if you're just going to overreact to Welkers foot jokes in dictatorial style, make your authority the most important thing, and deflate your team before playing the hated jets? not to mention being slow to adjust to the new pass friendly rules with better cover lbs and safeties, and refusing to draft a skill player with homering ability everytime they touch the ball.
    Posted by arodrambone

Well, BB is hanging around LaRussa, who is a confidant of Parcells (who was his boss), who is a confidant of Knight, the only one I haven't heard is D Wayne Lukas. 

The group of buddies is one of the most arrogant (and successful) in sports.  If Belichick has been welcomed into that crowd, I'd expect nothing less.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I love how certain people are all about blaming one part of the team for everything that goes wrong, and lashing out at only that part after every loss, year in and year out.  As if one coach or unit always has been and always will be completely to blame for everything, and the rest of the team is perfect. 

Isn't this the same team that was introduced as a team during the Super Bowl, not separate units?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Russ,

yes, I am this offended because my team, your team, seem to fold like cheap suits in big games, or against good teams. What have we proven? We are champs of the regular season? We lose to the elite and can't win post-season, that's what we have proven.

If you want to say it's because we didn't play a clean game..fine. I'll agree in part. The offense didn't get on the field and TOP was atrocious (another harsh word) because our defense couldn't get off the field. Sure they held Pitt to 2 field goals in the 2nd half, but our offense also couldn't build any rhythm nor momentum because they simply didn't have the ball enough either. I'll concede its on both squads, ST's and coaching. A complete team loss. Okay?

My point Russ about the drafts were that we haven't stockpiled quality when we had every chance to reload and in a big way. Compare our drafts since 2005 to Pitt's, GB's or other top tier teams. What do you see? And, please don't do any comparisons to the Bengals of the world. If we consider ourselves top tier, and our Coach the "best of all time", then we need to compare ourselves to the best in the league...Use Pitt and GB as benchmarks here and let me know what you find out....

I'll boil it down as I did in a previous post. We have selected more times than any other team since 2005  in rounds 1-3. I forget exactly, but it is somewhere around 20-22 times. If we hit on just 33% of those (1 in 3 picks), and I'm not saying all world players, but not 1-3 year cast-offs like Butler, Wheately, Crable, Tate, McKenzie, etc., etc., we would be a different team.
    Since Pitt is on our mind, lets look at them for a bit. As we all know, they selected Wallace 1 pick after we selected Tate in the same draft. If we have good talent evaluators, how do you select Tate (torn ACL, not any significant time at WR at Carolina) ahead of a kid that had played WR and played it well at Mississippi? Tate for chr!sts sake was a projected 7th round or UDFA...not a 3rd rounder.
    And, if you think the Pats stretched for him, consider over the last 6 drafts how many other players they stretched for when if they wanted them, could have gotten them much, much later and still drafted quality ahead of them at certain key, needy positions.

So, Russ, my point is really this...
    1. We don't draft as well as Pitt and GB. You can probably throw 1-2 other names in there as well. Again, I'm comparing us against teams that have been to the big dance over the last 6 years and who have won.
    2. We lack quality talent at key positions (true #1 WR that can catch the long ball and seperate even against the Revis of the world), (OLB, safety, CB, DL).
    We have plugged in late round draft picks and UDFA's in key positions where quality is a necessity. If you want to compare Guyton, Fletcher to LB's that could have been acquired in rounds 1-3 over teh same time period, there is no comparison.

Poor player/draft evaluation = lack of talent at key positions = losses against good teams that do it better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Lifer, thats spot on

The offense stunk because the defense stunk./...it goes hand in hand.

As far as the drafts, I dont usually say much cuz it is a crap shoot, but for someone who puts so much into it and tries so hard to manipulate it, he sure does have a lot of head stratchers...

We all give him props for finding undrafted players and somehow excuse the misses on high picks because of this and this is where I disagree.

I admit, I was buying it for a while.  Every year you can go down the line and find one player each year undrafted that made the team.  Then I started doing research and I found that every team has these players.

Sure you can say Bill is a genius, but in a college pool of a million plus players of course some undrafted guys can play.  Its called waiting for the draft to end and find out what players on your board are still around. 

Guyton, Wright, BJGE, etc are all nice players, but none of them are game changers besides maybe Guyton who gives up as much as he takes.

The league is built on undrafted players....so unless yours goes to a pro bowl, lets stop making it out to be wonderful

Butler was drafted too early as was tate, as was Logan, as was McCourty, as was D.Scott as was T.Price, as was T.Wheatley, as was Crable, as was alot of players....so I have to see it both ways and say B.B. has reached for a lot of guys who noone had on the radar and after a year or 2 , you find out they should never have been drafted.

Where is Butler, playing behind Captain Munnerlyn who was also on the Deion show w/Butler busting his hump to get better, while Butler was bragggin at what he would do at the combine.  Now Cap is a starter on the rise and Butler is the dime back there, and Capn, went 7th rd I think....so there it is.

B.B. is the best at accumilating more picks but with that greater chance of hitting , he has done worse than other teams..

Chad Jackson is out of football and G.Jennings who was there for the taking is considered one of football best young talents around.

Terrence Wheatley is out of football, after him there were Terrell Thomas, a well known guy out of USC...., Charles Godfrey S, Chevis Jackson, Antoine Molden(lol), Tyvon Branch, Lowery, maybe not great players, but they are in the League!

I have to stop here, Im getting sick!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Jonathan Wilhite looked like a player as a rookie and then regressed every year.

Maroney was drafted the year we had our choice at D'angelo Williams, lendale White....Maroney is out the league and Lendale White as well, being a hot head but still had better numbers...and Addai who was the best fit for what we did.

1st rd pick who is gone!  He lasted 5 years but should have been gone after 2 but they kept waiting for him to do something and he didnt.

look at the players who went right after him....Manny Lawson(perfect fit for OLB in 3-4) doing work in Cincy
    Jonathan Joseph
    Santonio Holmes
    Marcades Lewis
    Nick Mangold
    Mathias Kiwanuki end the round 1 that year

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I love how certain people are all about blaming one part of the team for everything that goes wrong, and lashing out at only that part after every loss, year in and year out.  As if one coach or unit always has been and always will be completely to blame for everything, and the rest of the team is perfect.  Isn't this the same team that was introduced as a team during the Super Bowl, not separate units?
    Posted by themightypatriotz

No Mighty, we are far from that team...thats the problem.  Sure you can still come out as a team, but the magic of that moment will never be relived again.

Sections
Shortcuts