It's unfortunate.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

It's unfortunate.

......that after a gritty win, despite early ineptitude all over the field, so many want to point the finger at the GOAT. Maybe some of you tools should consider we may well be 2-6 instead of 6-2 without him.

But despite whether it's the receivers, or the O-line or Brady or the D, or all the above, the one thing this team is displaying, especially on D, is a grit that has been absent for years now. Despite losing at least 3 of their best players this D scrapped like they used to. They are no longer hapless victims and are fighting back again. Brady despite puny numbers for him, is still clutch as hell. The receivers have no reason to be good, and they aren't. But they have made some damned good plays when needed. The O-line falters, but gets their act together when it has mattered most.

I would say for a wounded team with serious experience issues at key positions, we are doing pretty damned well. Win a SB? Why not us?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Re: It's unfortunate.

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

......that after a gritty win, despite early ineptitude all over the field, so many want to point the finger at the GOAT. Maybe some of you tools should consider we may well be 2-6 instead of 6-2 without him.

But despite whether it's the receivers, or the O-line or Brady or the D, or all the above, the one thing this team is displaying, especially on D, is a grit that has been absent for years now. Despite losing at least 3 of their best players this D scrapped like they used to. They are no longer hapless victims and are fighting back again. Brady despite puny numbers for him, is still clutch as hell. The receivers have no reason to be good, and they aren't. But they have made some damned good plays when needed. The O-line falters, but gets their act together when it has mattered most.

I would say for a wounded team with serious experience issues at key positions, we are doing pretty damned well. Win a SB? Why not us?

Good post. Agree with pretty much everything except I think the receivers are better than implied. I will say that bashing Brady is stupid. He may not have the gaudy numbers of the past but the guy is playing like a warrior and a leader. I never did like the gaudy numbers all that much anyway. He is the unquestioned leader of that team. Anybody who thinks otherwise has not seen, and does not recognize, leadership in action.

This team is playing with a lot of heart and grit. I don't know if they win it all but as Babe says, why not us?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Stop saying the WRs blow, it was Amendola's first game back and Edelman had an off day. Edelman is great, Amendola will be great, Dobson is emerging into a reliable option for TFB who can get open consistently and stretch the field, Gronk is getting back in shape and Vareen will be back after next week.

The offense is shaping up nicely. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I little bit different tone from you then I am used to reading.  I do agree that there really seems to be some uncalled for Tom Brady bashing.  Sure he is not playing like the Tom Brady we are used to but he still has the smarts and a lot of skill and experience.  Things that 3/4 of the QB's in the league only wish for.

The team is holding together despite the injuries.  That shows heart.  I like it.

I am still letting myself dream a little bit and think of what this defense would loo like right now if Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo and Talib were still on the field.  I think they would be pretty darn good.  Would not be 31st in the league vs the run, that is for sure. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'll contest your 2-6 season since we haven't won because of the offense all year. It's been the D keeping it close enough to win. Hence why our largest margin of victory has been, outside of the Tampa game, by 10.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stop saying the WRs blow, it was Amendola's first game back and Edelman had an off day. Edelman is great, Amendola will be great, Dobson is emerging into a reliable option for TFB who can get open consistently and stretch the field, Gronk is getting back in shape and Vareen will be back after next week.

[/QUOTE]

They kind of do.  Was good to see Dobson get a TD today.  I admit I thought he was going to drop it but he didn't.  That builds confidence for him.  Look forward to seeing him against the steelers next week.

What happened to Thompkins today? I was looking for him, didn't notice him out there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They kind of do.  Was good to see Dobson get a TD today.  I admit I thought he was going to drop it but he didn't.  That builds confidence for him.  Look forward to seeing him against the steelers next week.

What happened to Thompkins today? I was looking for him, didn't notice him out there.

[/QUOTE]

Thompkins is at his ceiling, Dobson won because he's more physical at the LOS and it's harder to jam him because of his size. Thompkins, Edelman and Amendola were outmuscled.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I do not think the receivers blow but Edleman is definately not great. He is average at best and Amendola has never been that great even when he was healthy. I personally think McDaniels convinced Belichek that DA is better than he actually is. He probably thought with an A list QB he could be a pro bowler. I actually think the rookies are better than both Edleman and Amendola. They seem to get open more often and I think they are actually making tougher catches. They all have horrible drops but Edleman has trouble catching it in traffic and Amendola can't stay healthy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree with the general intent of this post.  Don't care to demean individual players or other posters who have their opinions but I absolutely agree with the statements that I have bolded.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

Edelman had a good day blocking....Did you guys see him?  At 5'11", 180Lbs. he was man-handling the CBs and driving defenders back!!  It was nice to see.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

The play calling needs to change a little and get back to what wins.  Where is the swing pass?
     They need to look for the short over the middle stuff.   Defenses are loading the line.  They are keying on the long pass.  Brady is having to hold the ball too long to make the plays.  The short swing pass is high percentage and usually gains about 5 yards.  This would spread the defense out across the field opening up the deep pass, the inside runs and the over the middle stuff.  The middle of the field is a congested mess right now.  Also what about a couple of reverses and gimic plays.  Keep the defenses thinking.  I can sit in my chair and read what is going to happen on almost every play.  When Bolden takes a step towards the line, it is going to be a run play.  3rd and 6 is going to be a pass.  Watch the play calling it is predictable.  Time to make it unpredictable.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I little bit different tone from you then I am used to reading.

[/QUOTE]

If the D was still playing like victims, my tone would remain as it has been in previous years. Their approach and attitude has changed my tone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

If you all recall during the Super Bowl winning seasons, the Pats were not blowing out teams by scoring 40+ points. It was gritty play and a tough defense that won it all. This year's team is finding ways to win despite the offense playing like they are playing in quicksand.

As the weather turns nasty, this type of play, no matter how painful it is to watch, may get this team deep in the playoffs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Sorry 49 but nether of those statements are really true. Edelman is an average WR who had the benefit the first 1/4 of games of being the only receive on the field that Brady trusted in any sense really. Amendola got most of the looks the first week but once his groin snapped who did Brady have to throw too? Gronk was still out and Thompkins and Dobson were dropping balls at a rate higher than 10%. It's the only reason Edelmans numbers were that high to begin with. Since Brady has started using the rooks more and since Gronk has come back Edelmans last 4 games he's had 14 catches for163yrds which is pretty average for a #2 or #3 type of WR. Not exactly great. Amendola has the potential to be a new Welker but potential doesn't translate to the field if you can't stay on the field. And, there is no way you can call someone great when they've only manage to give you 1 solid game out of 8 so far (it was a great game though).

Dobson has shown flashes but he really hasn't progressed all that much. He is still having issues getting separation to the point the Pats are currently looking to enhance their WR core and are actively pursueing the guy they failed to get in the offseason. You know BB hates to admit mistakes well trying to acquire Sanders after just under bidding for him 8 games into the season is fully admiting he should have gotten him in the first place.

This WR core is anything but great and the proof is that when Brady actually has time to move around and throw the ball he's still having to hold the ball for long periods of time because the WR's can't get open. Now Amendola might have a touched by Jesus moment and never get injured again but past history says that's unlikely. Edelman might turn back into the 7+rec WR he was when Brady had no one else to throw the ball to but again past history tells us Edelman just isn't a starting caliber WR in the league when faced against other teams #1 and #2 CBs. Dobson could develop into a top end WR but history tells us that rooks tend to make a lot of mistakes and generally aren't all that productive in their first year, esp come mid Dec and into the postseason. Yes they could fight history and prove all the "haters" wrong but anyway you look at it this WR core needs some vet help

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'll contest your 2-6 season since we haven't won because of the offense all year. It's been the D keeping it close enough to win. Hence why our largest margin of victory has been, outside of the Tampa game, by 10.

[/QUOTE]

?

Perhaps you missd the Falcons game .. or the Bills game with a game winning drive ... or the Saints game, which might be the NFL highlight of the year.

With this offensive cast.... New England could easily be 3-5 or 2-6 with a lesser QB. And yes, they HAVE won games because of offense. The only difference this season is that they've won a few games because of defense as well ... shocker. It's been half a decade since that was something you could count on.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Slow down and put down the poms poms bro. Babe may be a little extreme but what good it is to be just as extreme the other way? Edleman is NOT great.(he has been absent for weeks) and Amendola Will NOT be great this year. Dont throw the word great around like that please. Amendola is a shell of himself. Will he help this year? Maybe but the guy doesnt show me much and Brady seems to growing frustrated with him too. Brady was pretty at him after that drop. Collie has looked better. Stop it! 

I Agree with O/P and that maybe the WR have talent, but without the knowledge it means nothing. In the History of the NFL, not many teams rely heavy on rookie WRs and when they do, they are sure fire 1st round pics. Thats why I told folks ALL the WRs wont pan out right away. I predicted a redshirt for Boyce and was yelled at. "he is better than KT" and now KT is invisible. Rookies hit the wall. They are trying hard but a lot has been asked of them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Slow down and put down the poms poms bro. Babe may be a little extreme but what good it is to be just as extreme the other way? Edleman is NOT great.(he has been absent for weeks) and Amendola Will NOT be great this year. Dont throw the word great around like that please. Amendola is a shell of himself. Will he help this year? Maybe but the guy doesnt show me much and Brady seems to growing frustrated with him too. Brady was pretty at him after that drop. Collie has looked better. Stop it! 

I Agree with O/P and that maybe the WR have talent, but without the knowledge it means nothing. In the History of the NFL, not many teams rely heavy on rookie WRs and when they do, they are sure fire 1st round pics. Thats why I told folks ALL the WRs wont pan out right away. I predicted a redshirt for Boyce and was yelled at. "he is better than KT" and now KT is invisible. Rookies hit the wall. They are trying hard but a lot has been asked of them.

[/QUOTE]

I am extreme. Extremely honest.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Babe....  good post and thoughts.

This season has been lacking one thing so many Pats fans wish to see consistently and I'll call it "pretty wins".  The Pats are winning games which is great.  But, the way they have been winning is not like what so many here have been used to seeing since 2007.  Lots of blowouts, comfy leads late in a game and big stats for the offense.  Like taking the rattle away from the baby, lots of crying when there is nothing hurting the baby.  The Pats are winning but the fans are "hurting" for those great looking games!  Where is TB and his 300+ yards passing games one after another?  IMHO, there are too many fans posting here who were not around in 2001 or even as late as the last SB winning season in which the Pats were not running roughshod through the league.  If you weren't around then, this season is totally out of the norm for some.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Babe....  good post and thoughts.

This season has been lacking one thing so many Pats fans wish to see consistently and I'll call it "pretty wins".  The Pats are winning games which is great.  But, the way they have been winning is not like what so many here have been used to seeing since 2007.  Lots of blowouts, comfy leads late in a game and big stats for the offense.  Like taking the rattle away from the baby, lots of crying when there is nothing hurting the baby.  The Pats are winning but the fans are "hurting" for those great looking games!  Where is TB and his 300+ yards passing games one after another?  IMHO, there are too many fans posting here who were not around in 2001 or even as late as the last SB winning season in which the Pats were not running roughshod through the league.  If you weren't around then, this season is totally out of the norm for some.

[/QUOTE]

Your right. It's about expectations and to use a rusty word, we have been "spoiled" by a dominant offense for many years. 

This team for the first time since the early 2000's has grit. We only have to be good enough to go the distance, not flashy or put on an offensive clinic as denver is doing now. We still have 8 games to get guys healthy and keep improving. 

the 2 things I want to see us get better in offensively are 3rd downs and red zone efficiency. If we can do that we can help control the clock which benefits the d. On the d side, same thing, improve on getting off the field on 3rd down and get better at stopping the run. Keep creating turnovers. 

We have a good enough team guys. Sometimes good enough is all it takes especially if they can keep improving and catch some fire in December.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Good thread.  Kind of sums my thinking also.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

32 teams playing all playing under the same economic rules with the same goal. Ladies & Gentlemen winning is not an easy proposition in the NFL. It is a grind and war of attrition where only the best run oganizations find any winning consistentcy from year to year. This years Patriot edition although not as flashy as previous years is fun to watch week to week as they progress.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It was Amendola's first game back because he can't stay healthy.  He blows.

Edelman had an off day because he's a kick returner.

The last guy that was supposedly emerging was, according to Rusty, Sudfeld.  LOL

Gronkowski is the only legit reliable receiver on the team.

The rest are all bums.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

First off, I've been a Pat's fan since Jim Plunkett.................Hooray...cheers...Big Deal...........That being said I've never considered myself a Homer and have always tried to see my teams objectively. Back when this board had more acceptance of others opinions, I was one of the 1st (diff name) to say we should trade Bledsoe and keep this No Name skinny kid with guts as our QB. Although everyone on this board will now say they were on the Brady over Bledsoe bandwagon, it was more 30-70 for Bledsoe back then......."You don't lose your job to injury..."..."play Drew if he falters, the kid proved he can play"...blah blah....

It's not so much bashing Brady as simply stating that he isn't playing well REGARDLESS of all the turmoil around him, but to SOME in here, it's a sacrilege to say ANYTHING negative about TB. I will always be a diehard Pats fan but will NEVER be a "Homer". The removal of the rose colored glasses will reveal a 36 year QB who is showing signs of decline all before the hand injury. YES Brady IS on the decline and to think otherwise means you haven't turned 36 or you never played sports past college. How many still playing rec ball ( Soft, Basket or other) remember going from your early to late 30's...........sucked didn't it!!. Decline does not mean his career is over by any means. He is still the best play action QB in the league and if the O line would get their heads out their culos, he'd have time to develop chemistry with this all new receiving corps. The young WR are much better than ANY we've drafted and to put all the blame on them and not sprinkle some TB's way is asinine....His accuracy has been average all season (pre hand) and we've NEVER seen him make some of the bad decisions he's made through EIGHT GAMES. Thats partially a product of his environment but also the inevitable regression that comes with age. Eyesight, reflexes and muscle memory all which begin to decline in our EARLY 30's has clearly affected him just like it did EVERY other HOF QB. I think some of the jealously stemming from the season Peyton Manning is having is increasing the need of some to over protect TB's legacy......

So what's the solution??  

Fire or somehow sequester Josh McDaniel

Establish some kind of identity on O...What kind of team are we???

Run the damn ball with Ridley and get back to the play action passing that TB still does best

Light a fire under that O lines a.r.s.e 

Hope that by seasons end the injuries that have been affecting the ENTIRE TEAM has ended.....

6-2  and feeling pretty damn good overall despite the adversity...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to HelmetofLeather's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's not so much bashing Brady as simply stating that he isn't playing well REGARDLESS of all the turmoil around him, but to SOME in here, it's a sacrilege to say ANYTHING negative about TB. I will always be a diehard Pats fan but will NEVER be a "Homer". The removal of the rose colored glasses will reveal a 36 year QB who is showing signs of decline all before the hand injury. YES Brady IS on the decline and to think otherwise means you haven't turned 36 or you never played sports past college.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting read, but still spin.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't blame anybody for the poor offensive first half. In fact no team can afford pro-bowler type talent at all positions or all back up players. I feel the Patriot players are playing well for the talent on the team. The pats offense went from Loyd, Welker, Hernandez and Woodie on offense to Dobson, Thomkins, Blount and Washington. Thomkins and Dobson will be very valuable players in a couple of years.

The Pats D lost Mayo, Wilfork, Kelly and for now Talib. No team can lose that kind of talent on the D and expect to miss a beat while going to the bench. You recover from that by picking up or trading for quality players.

Sections
Shortcuts