I've been seeing a lot of love for Cassel lately

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I've been seeing a lot of love for Cassel lately

Here's my memory of Cassel.....He drops back, holds the ball too long and gets sacked.  I believe he lead the league in sacks that year.  Am I the only person who remembers that?  It was like watching Bledsoe at the end of his career.  Z posted many times how the very weak strength of schedule aided Cassel in hitting the 11 win mark.  So let's stop The unwarranted love for the guy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: I've been seeing a lot of love for Cassel lately

Also got to mention that the team around him was the exact same team from 2007 give or take a few players.

The defense was older but still had a solid core and Cassel had Moss and Welker around him. Put Cassel in that situation this season with less flashy options it wouldn't be that pretty.

Cassel did a valiant job in 2008 but frankly, BB just did a great job coaching him into an easy system vs. an easy schedule as well. Any good team we played, we lost.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I hear you, but he's still a hero in my mind.  How many more games would we have lost with a stronger schedule?  Would we have finished 8-8 instead?  9-7?  I feared we would go 4-12.  How many teams with equally weak schedules don't win 11 games?  Did anyone look into that stat?  Yes, he basically had the same team from 2007.  Ask the Colts how they did without Manning.  Even before they decided to tank they stunk.

I'm not about to make him out to be another Brady, but he'll definitely get a good amount of love from this fan.  He saved our season.  I expected us to totally blow that year.  I really did wonder if we'd even win 4 games.  He had ZERO starting NFL/NCAA QB experience.  Prior to stepping in for Brady he never started a game.  He never even started in college.  So yeah, a guy who never started a game since HS won 11 games for us.  We can talk about strength of schedule but it's still the NFL.  He deserves every ounce of love he gets.  No matter how flawed he might have been and still is, 2008 was quite an achievement and it shouldn't be diminished by anyone.  Think about it.  A guy who hadn't started since HS won 11 NFL games.  I think that might be why he gets so much love.  That was quite an accomplishment regardless of the strength of schedule.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Teams can only beat who they play; any given Sunday.  Two cliches about the NFL but they've  become cliches for a reason - they happen to be factual.  Parcells said it and I think he's right - You are what your record says you are.  Matt Cassell is a serviceable NFL QB who stepped in and did a pretty fair job when TB went down.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Matt Cassel is not Tom Brady. Matt Cassel deserves a lot of love for that 2008 season. He had 11 wins, 2 against playoff teams, Miami and super bowl runner-up Arizona. He improved as the season went on. He cut down his mistakes, especially after the Steelers game.

He won 5 of his last 6 games, 4 on the road including back to back west coast games which isn't easy. He would have made some noise in the playoffs.

327CMP 516ATT 63.4% 3693YDS 21TD 11INT

Not too bad for a college back up. What more could he have done?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Matt Cassell is probably getting a lot of love because Ryan Mallett fell on his face last week. The people that are on the Mallett bandwagon like to bring up Cassell because Cassell struggled in all those preseasons prior to having a good season with us in 08. The only problem is that he only had one other good season in his career after that. So I think that's way Cassell is getting some buzz around here lately.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Matt Cassel is not Tom Brady. Matt Cassel deserves a lot of love for that 2008 season. He had 11 wins, 2 against playoff teams, Miami and super bowl runner-up Arizona. He improved as the season went on. He cut down his mistakes, especially after the Steelers game.

He won 5 of his last 6 games, 4 on the road including back to back west coast games which isn't easy. He would have made some noise in the playoffs.

327CMP 516ATT 63.4% 3693YDS 21TD 11INT

Not too bad for a college back up. What more could he have done?

[/QUOTE]

I remember thinking that very same thing, at the time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Also got to mention that the team around him was the exact same team from 2007 give or take a few players.

The defense was older but still had a solid core and Cassel had Moss and Welker around him. Put Cassel in that situation this season with less flashy options it wouldn't be that pretty.

Cassel did a valiant job in 2008 but frankly, BB just did a great job coaching him into an easy system vs. an easy schedule as well. Any good team we played, we lost.

[/QUOTE]

So what constituted a "good team"?  They beat four teams who were .500 or better.  Maybe you think that an 8-8 team or a 9-7 team isn't all that good.  Well, weren't the Cardinals in the Super Bowl that year?  They were one of those 9-7 teams.

Also, the Colts, with Peyton Manning, went 12-4.  No chance that they would lose to any "bad" teams, right?  They lost to the Bears (9-7), the Jaguars (5-11), and the Packers (6-10). 

The fact is, any team can beat any other team on any given Sunday.  Regardless of strength of schedule.  The kid did an awesome job.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Matt Cassell is probably getting a lot of love because Ryan Mallett fell on his face last week. The people that are on the Mallett bandwagon like to bring up Cassell because Cassell struggled in all those preseasons prior to having a good season with us in 08. The only problem is that he only had one other good season in his career after that. So I think that's way Cassell is getting some buzz around here lately.

[/QUOTE]

And that's the problem. People don't like to admit they are wrong and will defend their guys even after they are gone (see Moss and Tebow). It eliminates objectivity and ends up leading to sayings such as hater, basher, troll, only seeing negative, and a whole host of others. Conversations end in "so you think you're smarter than BB" instead of actually having a discussion about the topic. It's a defense mechanism on peoples part but really it's just a cop out. Around here if you can't carry a discussion or feel you might be wrong most people would rather discredit the OP than to have a free flowing conversation. It's saddens me when I see good posters call others haters, bashers, and dismiss everything they say as negative just because they feel it attacks one of their guys, even if the OP did nothing more then point out the reality of a situation.

[object HTMLDivElement]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to carawaydj's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hear you, but he's still a hero in my mind.  How many more games would we have lost with a stronger schedule?  Would we have finished 8-8 instead?  9-7?  I feared we would go 4-12.  How many teams with equally weak schedules don't win 11 games?  Did anyone look into that stat?  Yes, he basically had the same team from 2007.  Ask the Colts how they did without Manning.  Even before they decided to tank they stunk.

I'm not about to make him out to be another Brady, but he'll definitely get a good amount of love from this fan.  He saved our season.  I expected us to totally blow that year.  I really did wonder if we'd even win 4 games.  He had ZERO starting NFL/NCAA QB experience.  Prior to stepping in for Brady he never started a game.  He never even started in college.  So yeah, a guy who never started a game since HS won 11 games for us.  We can talk about strength of schedule but it's still the NFL.  He deserves every ounce of love he gets.  No matter how flawed he might have been and still is, 2008 was quite an achievement and it shouldn't be diminished by anyone.  Think about it.  A guy who hadn't started since HS won 11 NFL games.  I think that might be why he gets so much love.  That was quite an accomplishment regardless of the strength of schedule.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

[/QUOTE]

This is what I try to remind people of.  

As a Pats fan, I enjoyed that season as much as almost any because when Brady went down I thought it was over but it turned out to be a very entertaining season despite not making the playoffs.  

I don't care about strength of schedule.  Anybody who knows anything about football knows that any team can win on any given day.

One of BB's better coaching jobs without a doubt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Absolutely.  They also had to go to the west coast back to back weeks on TWO separate occasions.  So, attempting to imply that the "strength of schedule" means Cassel did not improve or get better as the season went, is a joke beyond belief.

Anyone who has flown to and from the west coast in back to back weeks knows how tough that is.

Pats did it TWICE with how their schedule aligned that year.  They won 3/4 of those, losing only to a loaded SD team seething for revenge from the title game a year earlier.

Lastly, Cassel performed at a Pro Bowl level in the AFC with a 2:1 TD/INT ratio. Favre took his place in the Pro Bowl based on name recognition with 20 TDs and a god awful 20 INTs.

But, don't tell Babe or Bustchise. lmao

Tcal is a loser and Brady Lover of epic proportions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealBustchise. Show TheRealBustchise's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Absolutely.  They also had to go to the west coast back to back weeks on TWO separate occasions.  So, attempting to imply that the "strength of schedule" means Cassel did not improve or get better as the season went, is a joke beyond belief.

Anyone who has flown to and from the west coast in back to back weeks knows how tough that is.

Pats did it TWICE with how their schedule aligned that year.  They won 3/4 of those, losing only to a loaded SD team seething for revenge from the title game a year earlier.

Lastly, Cassel performed at a Pro Bowl level in the AFC with a 2:1 TD/INT ratio. Favre took his place in the Pro Bowl based on name recognition with 20 TDs and a god awful 20 INTs.

But, don't tell Babe or Bustchise. lmao

Tcal is a loser and Brady Lover of epic proportions.

[/QUOTE]

Bwahahhaahahaha! Queenie is crying about the 2008 season when Cassel, as the 10th rated QB, didn't make the probowl...or the playoffs.   Waaaaaaaaaaaa! Loser.  Not just a loser, but a liar.  Cassel did not have a 2:1 ratio.  What a lying loiser you are.  Not only that, Queen Bean, but Farve had a high completion percentage.  We all know how important that is to you... right?

Sections
Shortcuts