J Freeman M Cassel and R Mallet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

J Freeman M Cassel and R Mallet

Here is an idea...now that Minn signed Freeman, would it be there worst thing if we traded a low red pick bring back Cassel and look to move Mallet...I understand Mallet is close to becoming a free agent but why couldn't we move him to a team like Tampa or Cleveland and let them see for themselves how good he can be...if he works out they can lock him up prior to years end...Tampa has some good defensive linemen as does Cleveland.. We could sure use some help there...just some creative thoughts...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scash2013. Show scash2013's posts

Re: J Freeman M Cassel and R Mallet

What exactly would be the point of trading for a QB who will turn 32 before next season starts.

Brady is clearly not the same QB he once was. I think the end is coming for him sooner than  people think. Especially considering his age. But if Brady plays here two more years after this year Cassel would be be 34 when Brady retires/gets traded. I would rather take my chances in the draft or with Mallet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to scash2013's comment:

What exactly would be the point of trading for a QB who will turn 32 before next season starts.

Brady is clearly not the same QB he once was. I think the end is coming for him sooner than  people think. Especially considering his age. But if Brady plays here two more years after this year Cassel would be be 34 when Brady retires/gets traded. I would rather take my chances in the draft or with Mallet.

Easily still a top 5 QB with no debate.  Not sure I agree with you.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

seriously. nothing of his play has shown the end near... yeah its looked bad, but thats cuz the offense has so many growing pains. if brady was short arming balls, losing accuracy big time, losing his fire, and becoming slower on reads/decisons or just doesnt have the abilites. but he has them all and they'll grow back with time everyone needs to chill...

he's top 3 QB too not even top 5

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from scash2013. Show scash2013's posts

You people are living in the past. I appreciate everything Brady has done for this organization. But it's clear to anyone that is objective he has lost a step or two. 2007 changed  him. What made Brady so great was his ability to read the entire field and make intelligent passes. These days, he is just a gunslinger. That interception to end the Cincy game was the perfect example. It was one of those "Screw it. " arrogant sort of Brett Favre throws. I guarantee you 2004 Tom Brady wouldn't have pulled the trigger on that pass. And he probably would have found a way to put the ball in the end zone to finish that drive.

His accuracy has greatly diminished. His decision making is nowhere near what it used to be. He consistently fails to see open receivers. I'm guessing because of this nasty habit he's developed of locking in on one receiver. His deep ball accuracy is completely shot. And at least three or four times a game a ball comes off his arm that is Tebowesque. Receivers are constantly having to reach behind or scoop his passes off the ground. Even the short screens and dump offs that he used to thrive on seem to give him trouble.

I make it sound like I hate Brady. I still think he's a solid QB. I'm  glad he's a Patriiot because he's better than pretty much any alternative the Pats could come up with. But he has lost a step or two and he is no longer elite. That's all. I think some people are seeing what they want to see. Which is fine. I don't expect many people here to agree with me on this. 

My point was that it would be senseless to trade for a 32 year old backup.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

Mallet is going to be a free agent after this season...it would appear as if though NE doesn't plan on signing him....bringing in Cassel at 32 buys us a few years provided they draft a QB in near future...Casell has proven to be competent for NE....lastly 32 is not old....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I do agree TB is 100% still at the very top of his game. Physically he has not lost a thing, mentally he is as good as ever. My concern is emotionally. I simply do not feel her ticks around to be on a mediocre team. He is here to win championships. He will walk away and start his next life rather than put in all the time, effort, work, sweat and tears to be 9-7.

the part of this thread I don't get is why does anyone think Mallett returns a wealth of draft choice or players in a trade? Tampa has a 3rd round qb that will have played a 13 game schedule in his resume...assuming Brady health, Mallett has seen 13 NFL snaps. This is a very wealthy QB draft in 2014...Malletts value at this stage with free agency in front of him is at an all time low. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

My take on it is .you have the remainder of the year to evaluate what Mallet is. ..if it works great. If not taking a chance on a potential franchise QB for a player wouldn't be the worst thing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Brady2Welker47's comment:

My take on it is .you have the remainder of the year to evaluate what Mallet is. ..if it works great. If not taking a chance on a potential franchise QB for a player wouldn't be the worst thing.

how do you evaluate a guy who doesnt play? how does another team put a value on a player that doesnt play?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Mallett's trade value is close to zero.

Teams with bad records are probably looking forward to the QB-rich draft next year. I do not think any of those teams is looking to Mallet to potentially be their franchise QB. QBs in the draft next year will have a more recent body of work to assess. They will be more receptive to using that to make their decisions vs someone's body of work from three years ago.

The only way that another team may become interested in Mallett is if a team that is showing potential to make it to the playoffs suffers an injury to their QB. Those teams will consider less expensive options.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Brady is clearly not the same QB he once was.

Actually, that is rather entirely and absolutely the epitome of unclear.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shtarka. Show Shtarka's posts

Mark Sanchez

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Mallett is under contract until the end of 2015

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Cassel had a good year with us in 2008 because the supporting cast had off the charts talent. I do not think he could duplicate his performance with our current talent level.

Furthermore, what you are suggesting (with 2 trades) sounds very difficult to accomplish from a pure logistics stand point. Much easier to do in fantasy football than real life.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MPM478. Show MPM478's posts

Except that he's not easily still a top 5 qb with plenty of debate.  He's been attrocious and unbrady like this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

seriously. nothing of his play has shown the end near... yeah its looked bad, but thats cuz the offense has so many growing pains. if brady was short arming balls, losing accuracy big time, losing his fire, and becoming slower on reads/decisons or just doesnt have the abilites. but he has them all and they'll grow back with time everyone needs to chill...

he's top 3 QB too not even top 5

Brady may still have the ability to be a top 5 QB, but he is nowhere near that right now this season. You can blame it on the GM, the receiving crew, the OL or Brady himself, but to sit claim that Brady is playing like one of the top 5 QB in the NFL so far this year is living in fantasy land. 

I can name five guys playing better than Brady right now, this year without even looking at their stats: P. Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Luck, and Wilson.

Now, on to Cassel. Why would the Patriots want him despite what I just said about how Brady is playing this team would not be any better with him and by the time Brady is retired Cassel will be a 35-year-old never was...

Sections
Shortcuts