Jack Tatum remembered as "a true Raider warrior

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Jack Tatum remembered as "a true Raider warrior

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/27/jack-tatum-remembered-as-a-true-raider-warrior/

Jack Tatum remembered as "a true Raider warrior"

Jack Tatum, the former Raiders safety who died today at age 61, is being remembered as a fierce player on the field who was often misunderstood off the field.

"We are deeply saddened by the news of Jack Tatum's passing," the Raiders said in a statement. "Jack was a true Raider champion and a true Raider warrior."

Tatum is perhaps best remembered for a hit that left Patriots receiver Darryl Stingley paralyzed -- and for a seeming lack of remorse for that hit. But those who knew Tatum say that he was deeply affected by the incident.

"It was tough on him, too," friend and former Ohio State teammate John Hicks said. "He wasn't the same person after that. For years he was almost a recluse."

Tatum was a named National Defensive Player of the Year in 1970, his senior season at Ohio State, and in his three college seasons the Buckeyes went 27-2 and won a national championship.

"We have lost one of our greatest Buckeyes," current Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said. "When you think of Ohio State defense, the first name that comes to mind is Jack Tatum. His loss touches every era of Ohio State players and fans."

Tatum, a three-time Pro Bowler, played for the Raiders from 1971 to 1979, and for the Houston Oilers in 1980.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Jack Tatum remembered as "a true Raider warrior

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

Would have like to seen him in a Pats uniform. The Stingley hit was unfortunate but he was playing under the rules of the day. Players could lead with head and hit a player in a prone position. Rules change due to tragedies like this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Jack Tatum remembered as "a true Raider warrior:
    Would have like to seen him in a Pats uniform. The Stingley hit was unfortunate but he was playing under the rules of the day. Players could lead with head and hit a player in a prone position. Rules change due to tragedies like this.
    Posted by HRK103

Stingley was the first thing I thought when I read the headline.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

More like a true, disingenous crappy individual.
    Posted by russgriswold
    ....only because he hurt a Patriot player (as noted) within the rules of the day. If he was on the Patriots, hypocritical Rusty Trombone would be lauding him til he was blue in the face as an agressive player who didn't let anyone get away with anything.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

taum was dispicable. he showed no compassion to Stingley. To say it was part of the game doesn't make the aftermath right. 

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/lopresti/2010-07-27-jack-tatum-darryl-stingley_N.htm

if tatum was deeply trouble by what happened he should of reached for the love I'm sure Darryl woould have given him.

Tatum was no Warrior 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

Umm, no. Are you aware he never even spoke to Stingley after the hit? Are you aware of this? You'd think you'd have some semblance of compassion after ruining the guy's life. It's not up to Tatum to tell us he felt it was clean. That's irrelevant. I am not saying it was dirty, but this isn't the point. How can anyone paralyze someone during a game and then never say one word to that person for the rest of their life?  You'd have to be sick or evil to not do so.  Are you also aware that in 1996, when Tatum had a book we wanted to promote, he asked Stingley, a guy he never talked to after the hit, if he would help him to promote it? You don't see that is an issue or as disingenuous?  Really?  How old are you? 12? That's disgusting. What a complete jerk. Why is it that the trolls with the biggest mouths here never do any homework?
    Posted by russgriswold
    ..where did I say he was a good person? It's completely common for players who are considered "dirty" by one set of fans to be all forgiven when they go to that fan's team. Roger Clemons was a dirty headhunter to Yankee fans UNTIL he went there and then his antics were "part of the game." Stingley was NOT a nice guy but you cannot say that if he was on your team and made a hit on some other player with the same results and the same actions later you would crucify him like you are now. or is that not the Patriot way since not one player on your team has ever done anything wrong in your eyes.You are the truest form of a blind homer without any perspective.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

It's generally considered bad form to speak ill of the dead, but I have some reservations about this guy. It's all well and good to mention that the vicious hit (in a meaningless pre-season game) was within the rules at the time, but that does nothing to explain Tatum's behavior following the incident. It's not enough to simply say he felt no remorse.

Tatum was a deplorable excuse for a human being who can write his next book in hell.

We all know injuries -- sometimes catastrophic injuries -- occur in the NFL and the guys who play the game know it could happen to them too. It's how Tatum behaved AFTER the incident that makes him a special kind of *expletive deleted*.

He never once approached Stingley with anything like remorse or compassion. The only time he ever contacted Stingley was to get on TV or written about in a book regarding the game and the hit. Raiders coach John Madden visited Stingley repeatedly during his hospital rehab. Tatum? Never.

Stingley spent the rest of his years in a Chicago condo tricked out so he could live alone without the ability to move on his own. ESPN barely noticed it when Stingley died in 2007 from heart disease and pneumonia complicated by quadriplegia.

Not once did Tatum express any regret or concern for Stingley; he only sought to profit off it. I am hesitant to wish ill on anyone -- particularly those I haven't known personally -- but with Tatum I am perfectly comfortable wishing him a healthy good riddance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

In Response to Re: Jack Tatum remembered as "a true Raider warrior : Apparently, I am not alone for my dislike of Jack Tatum.  Now Stingley was not a nice person, huh? You trolls will do anything. Absolutely anything to dance around here and be combative for really no reason other than being combative.  Proof is in the pudding right here. We have a Jets troll defening Tatum's post hit words and actions or non-actions, and apparently Stingley was not a nice person.  Amazing.
    Posted by russgriswold
    ..once again rusty trombone completely twists peoples' words around. I DID NOT defend his actions. I said you would not have said the things you said had he been on YOUR team. Amazing but by no means surprising eh Rusty? And where did I say Stingly was not a nice person? You are such a fool that you think I meant him instead of Tatum. Go drink from your sippy cup and play with your TB doll. You need a time out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Juan Marichal apologized for years and became friends with John Roseboro after hitting him with a baseball bat. He even gave the eulogy at his funeral in 2002. Tatum could have at least reached out and talked to him. Maybe even become friends. I know that htting someone with the bat is not accepted compared to a hard hit in football but my point is Marichal did the right thing after the incident.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

In Response to Re: Jack Tatum remembered as "a true Raider warrior : Apparently, I am not alone for my dislike of Jack Tatum.  Now Stingley was not a nice person, huh? You trolls will do anything. Absolutely anything to dance around here and be combative for really no reason other than being combative.  Proof is in the pudding right here. We have a Jets troll defening Tatum's post hit words and actions or non-actions, and apparently Stingley was not a nice person.  Amazing.
    Posted by russgriswold
    ....I completely blew that one. TATUM was the bad person. I apologize for the error

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

In Response to Re: Jack Tatum remembered as "a true Raider warrior : You going to apologize for the previous post?  I didn't twist any words around. Learn to read.  Holy christ. It's what Tatum did AFTER the hit that matters, not the hit itself.  How hard is this for you? If Rodney Harrison wrote 3 books, asked the guy paralyzed to help him promote one of them as the first time he ever spoke to the player since the injury, I'd be EMBARRASSED that the player, in this case Harrison, ever even played for my team. Maybe you should think before mouthing off, constantly. If you weren't so bent on trying to nail my balls to the wall and actually read what I wrote, you might learning something. None of you trolls ever do your homework.  Ever.
    Posted by russgriswold
    .... Point out to me in your previous posts where you say that you would be embarrased by a player that acted that way if he were on your team.  If you had said that the first time, we would not be going back and forth. NOW that you say it, fine. That is what I was trying to extract from you in the first place but it took too long. And your homework diatribe is beyond funny. I read your words and you went off against Tatum but until now you never said what you now have indicated, being embarrassed if he was on your team. Lesson finished

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

Oh boy.  This is your backpedal tactic now? "Point to me where you said it"..? Really, kid? Apparently, you didn't know about Tatum trying to apologize to Stingley at the time he had a book to promote.  So, this means you mouthed off before knowig FACTS. Note how other Pats fans knew about this and had the exact same opinion I did. It was never about the questionable hit in a preseason game, but what he did after that which showed his true colors. Even John Madden showed the class at the hospital with his wife.  Tatum was nowhere to be found.  Nowhere to be found until he had a self serving reason to be found, promoting his book. You are the only person who doesn't see a problem with Tatum outside of deluded Raiders fans. Yet again, as a troll, you  have shown why you are here.  I find it highly comical I am some irrational homer, yet I clearly explain my opinions and it still isn't good enough. Why don't try to attack other Pats fans who share my same opinion, Rip?  Hmmm?
    Posted by russgriswold
    ...talking to you is like talking to a brick wall. Tatum made a legal (at the time) hit. How he handled it afterwards was not right. I have not said it was. My initial post (take a look) is that you would not have been so hard on him if he was on your team. If your initial reaction was "yes i would be" that would be it. Instead you go off on book deals, etc instead of simply refuting my statement. Since you never said you would have treated  him differently had be been a Patriot, I kept at you. You have now said so. I am glad you think that way. If you had bothered to say that in the first place I would not have to school you on answering questions and diversions, but since you do that with other people I was not surprised. Congratulations on answering a question, although  a bit late. You're still in a time out though little boy

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecodwilly. Show capecodwilly's posts

In Response to Re: Jack Tatum remembered as "a true Raider warrior : ...talking to you is like talking to a brick wall. Tatum made a legal (at the time) hit. How he handled it afterwards was not right. I have not said it was. My initial post (take a look) is that you would not have been so hard on him if he was on your team. If your initial reaction was "yes i would be" that would be it. Instead you go off on book deals, etc instead of simply refuting my statement. Since you never said you would have treated  him differently had be been a Patriot, I kept at you. You have now said so. I am glad you think that way. If you had bothered to say that in the first place I would not have to school you on answering questions and diversions, but since you do that with other people I was not surprised. Congratulations on answering a question, although  a bit late. You're still in a time out though little boy
    Posted by RipFace

I've not been a part of this discussion, but after what I've read, I'll throw in my two cents worth anyway. To say how someone would or would not react if circumstances, i.e. Tatum as a Patriot, were different is ridiculous IMHO. There's absolutely no way of knowing. Many fans, myself included, wouldn't be proud of a player on their team doing what Tatum did. Frankly, it appears to me that you are the one who has the intellectual capacity of a little boy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Problems with the whole thing....... taken from....

"Tatum's death summons Stingley tragedy
    " July, 27, 2010 By Tim Graham

"Tatum never spoke to Darryl Stingley after the injury -- although he did suggest a televised reconciliation to coincide with the release of a book. Tatum wrote three of them: "They Call Me Assassin" in 1979, "They Still Call Me Assassin" in 1989 and "Final Confessions of NFL Assassin Jack Tatum" in 1996."

(That is sad that he wanted to promote/market the incident to sell more books and make more money....)

"In a 2003 Boston Globe story, Darryl Stingley said he still would welcome a visit or a call from Tatum -- without a commercial agenda."

(Why couldn't Tatum do that?) 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

In Response to Re: Jack Tatum remembered as "a true Raider warrior:
    Who are you kidding here?  Because you are dumb and mouth off before doing your homework as a troll, I am somehow needing to be your slave with my opinion, catering to what you want to read from me??? Have issues much in your life in general? Take your beating like a man. You are embarrassed because you know nothing of Tatum's behavior AFTER the hit. Give it a rest.  You lost because you mouthed off before knowing the facts. Period.
    Posted by russgriswold
    ..sorry Russ but people all over these boards know you to be arrogant, self-important, and all around obnoxious. Even some Patriot fans know it and have called you out. Of course to you anyone who does that is a troll. You are never wrong (ha) and the most you will give is "in my opinion"  You did not refute the comment I noted. Willy did. And to Willy, I always love to tweak Russ to see his irrational comments. That is exactly what I was looking for and as usual he delivered 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

I am only arrogant to rejects, tards and trolls.  That's not hard to do. I have no problems with educated Pats fans who want to discuss the team.  I have agreed to disagree plenty here. Everyone has the right to an opinion that has some sense behind it. Trolls, though, like yourself, rarely make any sense at all.  That's the difference. What you did here, though, was walk right into a door and now you are trying to tell everyone you didn't. What a tool. Just take the beating that unfolded here, as you appear to try to avoid, still, and go home. As a Jets troll, you were completely taken by surprise, to the point you called Stingley a bad person and how you did not know the facts. These are your faults on this topic because you are more focused on trying to pin me to the wall.  Otherwise, you would have confronted EVERY other Pats fan here who ALSO agrees with me on Tatum being a Grade A JERK. I know more about football and the history of it than you could ever dream, kid. Go home.
    Posted by russgriswold
    ..but its so much fun badgering you and getting you all worked up. I mistakenly labeled Stingley the bad one for which I apologized. Past that you were still dodging. I will be on these boards no matter what you think so deal with it. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

It's generally considered bad form to speak ill of the dead, but I have some reservations about this guy. It's all well and good to mention that the vicious hit (in a meaningless pre-season game) was within the rules at the time, but that does nothing to explain Tatum's behavior following the incident. It's not enough to simply say he felt no remorse. Tatum was a deplorable excuse for a human being who can write his next book in hell.  We all know injuries -- sometimes catastrophic injuries -- occur in the NFL and the guys who play the game know it could happen to them too. It's how Tatum behaved AFTER the incident that makes him a special kind of *expletive deleted*. He never once approached Stingley with anything like remorse or compassion. The only time he ever contacted Stingley was to get on TV or written about in a book regarding the game and the hit. Raiders coach John Madden visited Stingley repeatedly during his hospital rehab. Tatum? Never. Stingley spent the rest of his years in a Chicago condo tricked out so he could live alone without the ability to move on his own. ESPN barely noticed it when Stingley died in 2007 from heart disease and pneumonia complicated by quadriplegia. Not once did Tatum express any regret or concern for Stingley; he only sought to profit off it. I am hesitant to wish ill on anyone -- particularly those I haven't known personally -- but with Tatum I am perfectly comfortable wishing him a healthy good riddance.
    Posted by p-mike

Agreed

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Posted by HRK103

Jack Tatum was a star!

He played with abandon in a time when that was the rule. He will forever be tied to Darryl Stingley, which is a cross he had to carry.

When I played high school ball in Boston a team mate had his neck broken in practice and was paralyzed for life from the neck down. If was a freak hit just as Stingley's was. 

In Tatum's day, hard hits were the game. You knew the guys who made them and you watched to see who they would take out next. They were difference makers and if they were on our team we would have loved them. 

Today we have different rules but we still have "Top ten hits of the week" on TV, we love tough guys like Rodney and complain when a QB calls for a flag on a nothing hit.

Tatum has passed on and will be judged, but while he was here he was a tough football player, no more no less.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Umm, no. Are you aware he never even spoke to Stingley after the hit? Are you aware of this? You'd think you'd have some semblance of compassion after ruining the guy's life. It's not up to Tatum to tell us he felt it was clean. That's irrelevant. I am not saying it was dirty, but this isn't the point. How can anyone paralyze someone during a game and then never say one word to that person for the rest of their life?  You'd have to be sick or evil to not do so.  Are you also aware that in 1996, when Tatum had a book we wanted to promote, he asked Stingley, a guy he never talked to after the hit, if he would help him to promote it? You don't see that is an issue or as disingenuous?  Really?  How old are you? 12? That's disgusting. What a complete jerk. Why is it that the trolls with the biggest mouths here never do any homework?
    Posted by russgriswold

Russ:

Two points you may not know:

1) In his book, "Hey I wrote a book!" John Madden said that his biggest mistake was not taking Tatum to see the Stingley family. Tatum wanted to go right away and Madden did not feel it was the right time.

2) When Tatum went a day later to see Stingley he was turned away.

Tatum was a rough hard hitting player who tried to knock guys out, that was his play. The Stingley issue sux, but it was football of the day.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

Well, anyone can read that you just embarrassed yourself here, so we win. Jets Fans = LOSE
    Posted by russgriswold
    .....so says Rusty Trombone as he cuddles with his Patriots toys. "I am right and if you don't like it I am taking my ball and going home"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to Re: Jack Tatum remembered as "a true Raider warrior :   And #2 is disputed by Stingley and his agent as well.  I don't buy it either.  I think it's a convenient backpedal by Tatum. If you paralyzed someone, wouldn't you just genuinely ask when a good time might be? Like, what's a good time in the next 30 years? lol I wouldn't leave the hospital until I could do it. If that meant staying there days on end, I would. Who wouldn't??? When Marian Hossa accidentally gouged out Bryan Berard's eye, essentially ruining Berard's career, Hossa apologized and felt awful knowing it was a total accident. When Tatum paralyzed a player, something he could have done many times in his career, with borderline dirty hits, he not only didn't apologize, he found excuses not to. Or, tried to profit off the incident later on. I am sorry, but there is no real defense of Tatum here.  It shows how heartless of a human being he was. Funny how no one had ever been paralyzed in the NFL  in a preaseason game or by a helmet to helmet hit on a defenseless WR, but Jack Tatum, was so proud of his style of play with helmet to helmet hits, he tried to profit off it. If he had genuinely felt awful about it, why would you try to glamorize it on 3 separate occassions?  He wrote 3 books, dude. The Tatum apologists here are surprising to me.
    Posted by russgriswold

Russ,

Sorry, I did not realize you read into the hearts of men. My bad.

I posted my opinion of Tatum as a football player. We have seen that many players off the field are guys we would not like to hang with. For Tatum's day he was praised for his play. Period.

BTW. I did not apologize for Tatum and his actions with the Stingley family, just stated facts I have read in a few books.

Tatum will be judged as a man, but not by me.

Have a real nice day.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Jack Tatum remembered as "a true Raider warrior : ...talking to you is like talking to a brick wall. Tatum made a legal (at the time) hit.Posted by RipFace

ok, ok we all know and heard the rationalization it was a fricking legal hit. the point is tatum never made it up to Stingley in any way to express his heart felt sorrow for permanently crippling him for life. in the end tatum is a coward