Jadeveon Clowney Overrated?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Jadeveon Clowney Overrated?

The biggest controversy regarding the upcoming draft centers around the very first pick. Should the QB needy Houston Texans select QB Blake Bortels, or even local hero Johnny Manziel? Or, should they selected the guy whom, for over a year, as been deemed the best prospect by far in the 2014 crop...DE Jadeveon Clowney?

Clowney appears to be best suited as a 4-3 DE. But Houston, under new DC Romeo Crennel, will almost certainly play a 3-4. Can Clowney successfully convert to a 3-4 OLB? Would forcing Clowney into a 3-4 scheme be the best way to use his seemingly immense talent? Some claim that Clowney is lazy, and vastly overrated: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/13/unnamed-personnel-exec-calls-clowney-spoiled-and-lazy/ 

Trading down could be the answer. But, suppose no one wants to pay the price to move up? If the Texans are "stuck" with the top overall pick, should they go Clowney, or QB?    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Will-Redd. Show Will-Redd's posts

Re: Jadeveon Clowney Overrated?

I watch a lot of USC football games.  Clowney takes a lot of plays off.

If he played every down he would definitely be the #1 pick.  Maybe a good NFL coach can get him to do that. 

I'd be tempted to draft him if I were the Texans.  A motivated Clowney playing alongside JJ Watt makes for a pretty stout D.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to Will-Redd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If he played every down he would definitely be the #1 pick.  Maybe a good NFL coach can get him to do that. 

I'd be tempted to draft him if I were the Texans.  A motivated Clowney playing alongside JJ Watt makes for a pretty stout D.

[/QUOTE]

Why would Clowney go hard this year?

the first game of the season a UNC tackle leg whipped Clowney and almost took out his knee, after that he was like wait.... if i dont try hard I'll still be a top 5 pick and make 20M over 4 years and if an idiot OT ruins my knee i could and lose coin.

him taking plays off made him more money imo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

The biggest controversy regarding the upcoming draft centers around the very first pick. Should the QB needy Houston Texans select QB Blake Bortels, or even local hero Johnny Manziel? Or, should they selected the guy whom, for over a year, as been deemed the best prospect by far in the 2014 crop...DE Jadeveon Clowney?

Clowney appears to be best suited as a 4-3 DE. But Houston, under new DC Romeo Crennel, will almost certainly play a 3-4. Can Clowney successfully convert to a 3-4 OLB? Would forcing Clowney into a 3-4 scheme be the best way to use his seemingly immense talent? Some claim that Clowney is lazy, and vastly overrated: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/13/unnamed-personnel-exec-calls-clowney-spoiled-and-lazy/ 

Trading down could be the answer. But, suppose no one wants to pay the price to move up? If the Texans are "stuck" with the top overall pick, should they go Clowney, or QB?    

Will Clowney be a good NFL player...yes...will he be a GREAT NFL player...nobody really knows...he has the physical talent to be so, but many question his desire...there has been no meaningful determination that he's more like LT than Big Albert Haynesworth in overall attitude...as a #1 pick in a deep and talented draft the risk of a bust, even if the guy "only" makes a pro-bowl or two, would keep any GM with half a brain from taking the guy....only the team playing a 4-3 needing a difference maker at DE should move up to take him....and Houston should trade down because they can pick up a decent and talented DE/DT , or a "5" technique guy ,either in round 1 or at the beginning of round 2 and still get a good rookie QB in round 1.....the only fly in the moinment for them is the offer for their #1 will get an appropriate discount rate because the draft is stacked and deep and whoever wants that #1 pick will not have to trade as much as in previous years to move up...tough call, but I say make the trade if I'm Houston because  even if you love Johnny Football he will not be another TB , Peyton or Luck.......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's the point. Do you gamble on Clowney at #1, or select the best of a decent overall class of QBs, but one that really doesn't have a blue chipper?

Tough choice for Billy O'Brien.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Over-Rated? Based on what? It's a relly tough call for Houston to pass on him. Time will tell how he pans out. Other than Mack nobody else is worth a number one.

It's all about getting to the QB these days...Houston had better pony up...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Will-Redd. Show Will-Redd's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why would Clowney go hard this year?

the first game of the season a UNC tackle leg whipped Clowney and almost took out his knee, after that he was like wait.... if i dont try hard I'll still be a top 5 pick and make 20M over 4 years and if an idiot OT ruins my knee i could and lose coin.

him taking plays off made him more money imo.

[/QUOTE]

Right.  Which is why I'd be tempted.  He is a beast when he wants to be.  Playing with Watt should only motiviate him even more. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's the point. Do you gamble on Clowney at #1, or select the best of a decent overall class of QBs, but one that really doesn't have a blue chipper?

[/QUOTE]

No doubt, a very tough choice!

I think I would rather chance it on a bust then miss out and kick myself for not drafting the next great thing!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In my opinion the choice is easy, take Clowney and don't look back. Simple as that.

Guys like this don't come around very often. I don't care that he was worried about getting hurt last year and played like it, that probably won't happen when he is standing next to JJ Watt and he understands they have a chance to be the best defensive line that has come around in a long time.

Too me taking Clowney is the safe move for a GM...passing him up and then watching him get double digit sacks every year is career suicide. How hard will it be for Houston to trade back into round one and get a quarterback? Not too hard at all where their pick is in the second. Take Clowney, you can't pass on talent like that...in all honesty taking quarterbacks early has proven to be far from a sure thing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In my opinion the choice is easy, take Clowney and don't look back. Simple as that.

Guys like this don't come around very often. I don't care that he was worried about getting hurt last year and played like it, that probably won't happen when he is standing next to JJ Watt and he understands they have a chance to be the best defensive line that has come around in a long time.

Too me taking Clowney is the safe move for a GM...passing him up and then watching him get double digit sacks every year is career suicide. How hard will it be for Houston to trade back into round one and get a quarterback? Not too hard at all where their pick is in the second. Take Clowney, you can't pass on talent like that...in all honesty taking quarterbacks early has proven to be far from a sure thing.

[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.  The kid is an unreal talent.  Just draft him

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In 2006, the Texans faced a tough choice between DE Mario Williams, RB Reggie Bush, and QB Vince Young. They choose Mario...who turned out to be the best player of the three. Their decision this year depends upon how they view QB Blake Bortels.

If the Texans played a 4-3, Clowney should be their guy. But, they don't.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

holy s**t! The kid hasn't even been drafted yet and he's "overrated"?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The kid is an obscene athlete, he has the best measurables' since Willie McGinest, he should go #1 and you can damn well best believe Romeo will make him an Elephant outside linebacker in the 3/4 Willie Mac role if they take him.  

I have high hopes Chandler Jones grows this season and we have the depth at DT to play more 3/4, he would excel in the role IMO.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yup...

The whole year he was probably so worried the same thing that happened to Lattimore could happen to him. Well he still could get injured in the NFL; but after securing guaranteed $ millions, he will not be as worried.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I personally would never use the #1 overall pcik on someone who you could even remotely question their heart, desire, or motor.  I would rather trade down under those circumstances.  And this being Houston, more than anything they need an elite QB. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

holy s**t! The kid hasn't even been drafted yet and he's "overrated"?

[/QUOTE]

Obviously, you don't read much.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I see it as a hard read for us and not the Texans.  They already know what they want to do.  It is a choice between Bortles, Manziel and Clowney.  I see it as if Houston has any patients or not.  They would go with Bortles if they do.  Knee jerk reaction would be Manziel.  If they do indeed go with a 3-4 how does Clowney fit?  It seems to me that Bortles is the answer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

I could be wrong but this guy IMO will not be anything special-he gets lazy at times, has an attitude and has Prima donna written all over him-I would not take him in the top 5 let alone #1?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

with all due respect I dont think its a tough choice at all. QB's run this league and if Peyton Manning, or Tom Brady were in the draft you take them and dont think twice. But I dont think any of this years QB's are worthy of the #1 pick. Clowney #1 to Houston.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to garytx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I see it as a hard read for us and not the Texans.  They already know what they want to do.  It is a choice between Bortles, Manziel and Clowney.  I see it as if Houston has any patients or not.  They would go with Bortles if they do.  Knee jerk reaction would be Manziel.  If they do indeed go with a 3-4 how does Clowney fit?  It seems to me that Bortles is the answer.

[/QUOTE]

At present, I tend to agree with you. Of the QBs available, I see Bortels as the best prospect. But, it will all come down to what Billy O'Brien sees.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

[QUOTE]

Take Clowney, you can't pass on talent like that...in all honesty taking quarterbacks early has proven to be far from a sure thing.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Way too many first round QB flops out there. I see way less risk going with Clowney than I do any of the top QB prospects. I think these top QBs look good, but no where near "elite". If there was an Andrew Luck out there, I'd probably change my mind, and go QB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Take Clowney, you can't pass on talent like that...in all honesty taking quarterbacks early has proven to be far from a sure thing.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Way too many first round QB flops out there. I see way less risk going with Clowney than I do any of the top QB prospects. I think these top QBs look good, but no where near "elite". If there was an Andrew Luck out there, I'd probably change my mind, and go QB.

[/QUOTE]

At this time of year, there's a ton of misinformation that gets put out on players. One should keep this in mind when evaluating Clowney. Here's an article in which the author opines that the Clowney criticisms are absurd: http://nypost.com/2014/04/12/criticism-of-star-d-lineman-clowney-reaches-absurd-levels/ 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

Given all this talk, I'll float my "hare-brained?" idea once again.  Clowney might not be the best fit for them and they need a QB so maybe they trade down.  How about trading with the Pats where we trade draft picks and give them Mallet?  Maybe even throw in a future #3 or #4 pick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Likely not over-rated, but rather "over" full of himself.  It is not uncommon for an athlete that becomes full of himself to lose focus on what is important, his play, in favor of any and every distraction that results from that play. 

The concern is there are plenty of examples of players who never recovered from that lost focus to become again that which made them special.  Clowney currently resides in that what will happen space and is an enormous question mark as a high draft pick now. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to SLGDEV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Given all this talk, I'll float my "hare-brained?" idea once again.  Clowney might not be the best fit for them and they need a QB so maybe they trade down.  How about trading with the Pats where we trade draft picks and give them Mallet?  Maybe even throw in a future #3 or #4 pick.

[/QUOTE]

What would be in for Houston to give away the #1 pick for so little? Mallet has no track recourd. Furthermore, can the Pats afford to pay Clowney with the cap space we have  left?

Sections
Shortcuts