Jadeveon Clowney Overrated?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Re: Jadeveon Clowney Overrated?

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

The biggest controversy regarding the upcoming draft centers around the very first pick. Should the QB needy Houston Texans select QB Blake Bortels, or even local hero Johnny Manziel? Or, should they selected the guy whom, for over a year, as been deemed the best prospect by far in the 2014 crop...DE Jadeveon Clowney?

Clowney appears to be best suited as a 4-3 DE. But Houston, under new DC Romeo Crennel, will almost certainly play a 3-4. Can Clowney successfully convert to a 3-4 OLB? Would forcing Clowney into a 3-4 scheme be the best way to use his seemingly immense talent? Some claim that Clowney is lazy, and vastly overrated: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/13/unnamed-personnel-exec-calls-clowney-spoiled-and-lazy/ 

Trading down could be the answer. But, suppose no one wants to pay the price to move up? If the Texans are "stuck" with the top overall pick, should they go Clowney, or QB?    

holy s**t! The kid hasn't even been drafted yet and he's "overrated"?

Lmao I was thinking the same thing ,just like manizel is a bust before playing a NFL game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to Will-Redd's comment:

I watch a lot of USC football games.  Clowney takes a lot of plays off.

If he played every down he would definitely be the #1 pick.  Maybe a good NFL coach can get him to do that. 

I'd be tempted to draft him if I were the Texans.  A motivated Clowney playing alongside JJ Watt makes for a pretty stout D.

That's the point. Do you gamble on Clowney at #1, or select the best of a decent overall class of QBs, but one that really doesn't have a blue chipper?

Tough choice for Billy O'Brien.

Having him on the same side of the ball as JJ Watts seems to have a great deal of potential.  Sure, they need a QB too - but I think the former will be too tempting to pass by.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kylerocks. Show kylerocks's posts

I think Clowney has the best name so I would take him #1 overall.

Johnny Manziel sounds like a cheap hood and Blake Bortles sounds like a beet farmer so I'll pass on them.

Seriously though Clowney is the best D player in the draft while Manziel and Bortles may not even be the best QBs when all is said and done.  It could be Carr, Bridgewater, or even Garapolo or Mettenberger.  

And none of them are the top skill position players, that's clearly Watkins and Evans.  So yeah, I'm taking big boy Clowney and dominating along the lines while my 2nd round QB comes in with short fields to toss strikes to Johnson and Hopkins.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to SLGDEV's comment:

Given all this talk, I'll float my "hare-brained?" idea once again.  Clowney might not be the best fit for them and they need a QB so maybe they trade down.  How about trading with the Pats where we trade draft picks and give them Mallet?  Maybe even throw in a future #3 or #4 pick.

I would do that in a second, but I think it will require more ammo to move up to number 1. Unless, bb and billy view mallet equivalent to a 2nd, pats/houston swap 1sts, and the pats give up their 3rd. That might do it, but that is expensive. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

If ob doesn't take clowney then the pitchfork crowds will gather at the stadium. It's his first draft he won't take a flier. If he's going to do something off the charts change that crappy field so his players stop getting hurt. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

If ob doesn't take clowney then the pitchfork crowds will gather at the stadium. It's his first draft he won't take a flier. If he's going to do something off the charts change that crappy field so his players stop getting hurt. 

The latest rumors out of Houston is that the Texans like OLB Mack over Clowney. Mack is a better fit for Romeo Crennel's  3-4 defense than Clowney, who appears to be best suited as a 4-3 DE. Sorry...but, under this new format, I can't post the link. But, this may be a case of misinformation on the part of the Texans, to see if they can get some team interested in trading up for the first overall pick. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

If you are Houston it comes down to these questions... remember this is a deep draft... so...

1. Do you firmly believe in one or more of the QBs this year?

2. If yes and you believe one is absolutely the guy you draft him.

3. If yes but you like more than one VERY much then you see if you can trade down A LITTLE WAYS so you will still get one of them...

4. If yes but you cant trade down you take the guy you love best

5. If you are not sold on one of the QBs as great then ... do you think Clowney will make himself a top player or will he love the money but not the job? If you think he has a heart to be something you take him.

6. If you are not sold on the QBs being great and not sold on Clowney having enough heart then you trade down.

Myself, I think I would take a shot at Clowney. Someone above asked whether his talents would be wasted at OLB. Well, think LT. THis guy has that kind of ability but does he have the heart? I would want to really get to know him a little. If I thought he had it I would take a shot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

The latest rumors out of Houston is that the Texans like OLB Mack over Clowney. Mack is a better fit for Romeo Crennel's  3-4 defense than Clowney, who appears to be best suited as a 4-3 DE. Sorry...but, under this new format, I can't post the link. But, this may be a case of misinformation on the part of the Texans, to see if they can get some team interested in trading up for the first overall pick. 

I read this today and I will say this...that will never happen. They will not take Mack over Clowney...no way. People get fired for stuff like that - and that kid Mack will always be known as the guy who needs to have a better career than Clowney.

I'm on record as a Clowney fan, but something I've noticed (and don't like) is watching this guy after the whistle. This guy looks like he only cares about himself, I've seen his team get sacks and make plays and it looks like he could care less. He just stands there as everyone else is celebrating, it's almost as if he's upset he didn't get the sack or make the play. And his teammates don't look all that excited when he makes a play either. Anyone else notice this? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I read this today and I will say this...that will never happen. They will not take Mack over Clowney...no way. People get fired for stuff like that - and that kid Mack will always be known as the guy who needs to have a better career than Clowney. I'm on record as a Clowney fan, but something I've noticed (and don't like) is watching this guy after the whistle. This guy looks like he only cares about himself, I've seen his team get sacks and make plays and it looks like he could care less. He just stands there as everyone else is celebrating, it's almost as if he's upset he didn't get the sack or make the play. And his teammates don't look all that excited when he makes a play either. Anyone else notice this? 

I don't like the fact that Clowney has refused to work out for any teams, though I'm sure that the kid is merely following the advice of his agent. In any event...the "new" latest rumor from Houston is that the Texans are trying to decide between Clowney and QB Johnny Manziel at #1:  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/22/gil-brandt-suggests-draft-and-trade-scenario-for-texans-at-no-1/" rel="nofollow">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/22/gil-brandt-suggests-draft-and-trade-scenario-for-texans-at-no-1/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I don't like the fact that Clowney has refused to work out for any teams, though I'm sure that the kid is merely following the advice of his agent. 

No need, his combine numbers were very impressive.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I read this today and I will say this...that will never happen. They will not take Mack over Clowney...no way. People get fired for stuff like that - and that kid Mack will always be known as the guy who needs to have a better career than Clowney. I'm on record as a Clowney fan, but something I've noticed (and don't like) is watching this guy after the whistle. This guy looks like he only cares about himself, I've seen his team get sacks and make plays and it looks like he could care less. He just stands there as everyone else is celebrating, it's almost as if he's upset he didn't get the sack or make the play. And his teammates don't look all that excited when he makes a play either. Anyone else notice this? 

I don't like the fact that Clowney has refused to work out for any teams, though I'm sure that the kid is merely following the advice of his agent. In any event...the "new" latest rumor from Houston is that the Texans are trying to decide between Clowney and QB Johnny Manziel at #1:  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/22/gil-brandt-suggests-draft-and-trade-scenario-for-texans-at-no-1/" rel="nofollow">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/22/gil-brandt-suggests-draft-and-trade-scenario-for-texans-at-no-1/" rel="nofollow">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/22/gil-brandt-suggests-draft-and-trade-scenario-for-texans-at-no-1/

Manziel at number 1? I imagine they want to trade back and are trying to acquire more picks. I think the problem is that there is no sure fire - this guy has to go number one overall - player at the top. Too me Clowney is the all world talent, but he's got some red flags with his effort, heart and attitude. I'd still go with him because there is no Andrew luck sitting there for the Texans, but I've seen worse guys to choose from at the top, that's for sure.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Sure in some sense he's overrated.  You've got people comparing him to Lawrence Taylor and the guy hasn't even played a down in the NFL yet.  He should still go #1 overall.  There isn't a QB in this draft that is worth taking over him.  I still think Bridgewater is the best QB in this draft based on his college tape.  Bortles is far too raw, way too undisciplined and his bad mechanics get worse under pressure (this guy will be a turnover machine against an NFL pass rush without a ton of coaching and who knows whether those issues can actually be fixed).  Manziel has no pocket presence and relies far too much on his legs at the first sign of trouble (real or imagined).  He also makes an enormous amount of stupid throws.  Manziel reminds me a lot of Kaepernick with his tendency to lock onto one guy when he feels pressure.  The difference is Kap has way more running ability and a bazooka.  Again he could be good, but it's really hard to project him based on his college tape.  Bridgewater is the only guy that demonstrated an ability to read defenses and see the whole field (based on the offense he played in) and stay composed in the pocket under pressure to make the necessary throws.  Sure his arm strength might not be great, but this is a hard working kid that carried a pretty average team a long way.  He reminds me a lot of Matt Ryan in that way.  Smart kid, calls his own plays that doesn't wow you with the arm strength.  The other QBs (Carr etc.) shouldn't even be talked about in the 1st round in my opinion let alone at the top of the 1st round.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I see Clowney as rounding into a Mario Williams type player; which is to say not better than Ware was (three years ago) or Allen in his prime. If anything the QB class is overrated which is why I could see Bridgewater or Manziel falling. I see Marriota and Winston as better prospects in 2015 than the 2014 QB crop.

Sections
Shortcuts