Jaime Collins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Jaime Collins

In response to mthurl's comment:

Things are different over on the Bruin's forum, there they control him and cast him out, here most people leave or let him bully them. 

Well maybe we should all take a look over at the Bruins forum and see how they do it, it would be wonderful to get rid of the guy!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Just a thought - radical I know - but a thought.  Typically an argument requires more than one participant.  

Back to the topic:  I like Collins a lot and think the kid has some real potential.  Be very interesting to see if his late season burst carries over into the coming season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to artielang's comment:

There have probably been hundreds of guys that had the exact same combine numbers as Lawerence Taylor over the years, but none of them ever became Lawerence Taylor. Collins showed some interesting diverse skills at the end of last season but did he remind anyone of the best defensive player in the history of the NFL?? Come on. Let the kid develop hopefully he will be a productive player. 

This is true. But LT's greatness was a combo of his measurables, and coaching that put him in a position to excel. 

Collins has measurables we haven't seen here in a long time. Can/will this coaching staff put him in a position to potentially dominate games? IMO, this staff has not shown a desire to do such a thing. They prefer to bend, but don't break, rather than sack for a loss. They prefer to set the edge, and then chase the QB. 

Giving Collins a chance to make big game changing plays, comes with the downside that sometimes he will be out of position, and sometimes a big play will be given up. 

Collins can and will be very productive in this defensive scheme...he could however be a dominant game changer if a game changer is measured in sacks and INT's....

Mayo IMO is a similar example. Mayo could be a 12-15 sack man per year if this defense let him get after it. This defense doesn't.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

rkarp, that's an interesting perspective.  If I'm understanding you correctly you are suggesting that BB took a different approach with LT than you suspect he will take with Collins.  Am I correct?  If so, any thoughts on why?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

rkarp, that's an interesting perspective.  If I'm understanding you correctly you are suggesting that BB took a different approach with LT than you suspect he will take with Collins.  Am I correct?  If so, any thoughts on why?

Yes, of course. LT was a one trick pony. Rush the passer. 

The downside is when he doesn't get to the passer. 

BB was first part of LT's career LB coach and then Def coord....regardless, they were playing the defense that Parcells wanted, aggressive and attacking (buddy Ryan) 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Given that BB makes adjustments, sometimes minor others major, based on talent available to him do you see a change perhaps in the offing to a more aggressive defensive approach? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Given that BB makes adjustments, sometimes minor others major, based on talent available to him do you see a change perhaps in the offing to a more aggressive defensive approach? 

It seems that way.  The move to the 4-3 a few years ago was a start, along with an emphasis on getting faster players upfront rather than big ones.  The improvements in the secondary may be what allows more aggression at the LOS, though.  If you're going to attack more with your front seven, you want a good back end, capable of playing man-to-man, to defend against the passes that do get off. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

It seems that way.  The move to the 4-3 a few years ago was a start, along with an emphasis on getting faster players upfront rather than big ones.  The improvements in the secondary may be what allows more aggression at the LOS, though.  If you're going to attack more with your front seven, you want a good back end, capable of playing man-to-man, to defend against the passes that do get off. 

That would make sense.  Be very interesting to see if that's what's in store.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

There have probably been hundreds of guys that had the exact same combine numbers as Lawerence Taylor over the years, but none of them ever became Lawerence Taylor. Collins showed some interesting diverse skills at the end of last season but did he remind anyone of the best defensive player in the history of the NFL?? Come on. Let the kid develop hopefully he will be a productive player. 

This is true. But LT's greatness was a combo of his measurables, and coaching that put him in a position to excel. 

Collins has measurables we haven't seen here in a long time. Can/will this coaching staff put him in a position to potentially dominate games? IMO, this staff has not shown a desire to do such a thing. They prefer to bend, but don't break, rather than sack for a loss. They prefer to set the edge, and then chase the QB. 

Giving Collins a chance to make big game changing plays, comes with the downside that sometimes he will be out of position, and sometimes a big play will be given up. 

Collins can and will be very productive in this defensive scheme...he could however be a dominant game changer if a game changer is measured in sacks and INT's....

Mayo IMO is a similar example. Mayo could be a 12-15 sack man per year if this defense let him get after it. This defense doesn't.

I agree with all of this except the part where you say Mayo could be a 12-15 sack guy. I just don't think Mayo is that type of player...explosive? Certainly when he was young he had that explosive, almost violent power, but I've never thought of him as a very flexible athlete that can bend around a corner and beat an offensive tackle. I don't think he can do that, I do think he is effective going right up the middle on a blitz, but I think that's more inline with a guy who might give you 5 sacks a year.

I'd like to see them do a little more with Collins, but I think the thing that may prevent that is the lack of coverage linebackers around him, or even our lack of a strong safety that can cover a tight end. Collins was huge in his ability to cover a tight end last year...we just haven't had a guy who could do that in a while and you saw how it helped this defense. I'm hoping there will be other guys who will be able to do that this year so we can get Collins playing along that line of scrimmage and making life miserable for opposing quarterbacks. He made some plays rushing Luck last year in the playoffs, but when we faced Manning he had to play in coverage too much once again...hopefully that changes this year. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

An interesting scenario would be if Easley was healthy and is every bit the reason they drafted him so high. Picture an obvious passing down with Easley, Chandler Jones, Jaime Collins (off one side) and Kelly, too me that is four guys who can get to the quarterback and who knows? There is the chance that Armstead could play in Kelly's spot and perhaps do something. There is other players too who have shown they can get after it a little bit...Nink, Chris Jones, Hightower.

I think something to consider is what we have added to our secondary (Browner and Revis), those two may allow them to do something they haven't been able to do in a while. Blitz. I watched the jets not have a pass rush for years, yet were able to develop some really interesting blitz packages because they had the luxury of Revis being able to shut down one half of the field. Take that guy away and they never would of been able to blitz like they used to.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:

Last time I checked, Collins hasn't done anything in the NFL yet.  Hopefully, he will develop into something decent - because our defense sure does need help.

The dude dominated when finally given the chance, Heck he single handedly ruined the Colts.

So, one game makes him Lawrence Taylor?  LMAO

Don't get me wrong, he showed flashes of his raw talent - but he simply hasn't earned the kind of accollades that people would like for him to have.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Collins fits today's offenses the way LT did in his era. Teams pass more to the middle of the field with backs and TE's, even WR's, running across the field hoping receivers get a tiny opening on slower LB's and safeties. Collin's speed and length allow him to cover these crossing patterns as well as get to backs in the flat on safety valve plays.

LT was a pass rushing monster in a time when QB's wanted to throw down field or deep outs more than today. LT had slightly more time to get to the QB but was nevertheless poison to passing teams. Both men were what their times called for and Collins has the potential to be pretty darn good in his era as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

Collins fits today's offenses the way LT did in his era. Teams pass more to the middle of the field with backs and TE's, even WR's, running across the field hoping receivers get a tiny opening on slower LB's and safeties. Collin's speed and length allow him to cover these crossing patterns as well as get to backs in the flat on safety valve plays.

LT was a pass rushing monster in a time when QB's wanted to throw down field or deep outs more than today. LT had slightly more time to get to the QB but was nevertheless poison to passing teams. Both men were what their times called for and Collins has the potential to be pretty darn good in his era as well.

Well put. The thing that made LT so great was the strength he had (along with that explosiveness), he could handle those linemen as if he was one himself. He also had that ability to bend...he would get under that tackle and just rip up on him as his body was flexing almost in half, then he'd just explode right by/through him. It was awesome to watch.

I think you are dead on about Collins and today's NFL. I think Collins has some very freakish traits in his own right, the reason why I compared him to Taylor (and miller) was because of his frame, it looks as if it's capable of holding much more muscle mass. Word is he walked into OTAs looking much bigger and stronger, and he was asked what he likes to do the most and he said pass rush, that he'd prefer doing that over covering and playing in space. I think we're going to see this guy's game expand this season...I think the sky is the limit...we may be looking at a dynamic force we haven't seen since Taylor (different because the game has changed, but similar in effectiveness). 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I agree with all of this except the part where you say Mayo could be a 12-15 sack guy. I just don't think Mayo is that type of player...explosive? Certainly when he was young he had that explosive, almost violent power, but I've never thought of him as a very flexible athlete that can bend around a corner and beat an offensive tackle. I don't think he can do that, I do think he is effective going right up the middle on a blitz, but I think that's more inline with a guy who might give you 5 sacks a year.

I'd like to see them do a little more with Collins, but I think the thing that may prevent that is the lack of coverage linebackers around him, or even our lack of a strong safety that can cover a tight end. Collins was huge in his ability to cover a tight end last year...we just haven't had a guy who could do that in a while and you saw how it helped this defense. I'm hoping there will be other guys who will be able to do that this year so we can get Collins playing along that line of scrimmage and making life miserable for opposing quarterbacks. He made some plays rushing Luck last year in the playoffs, but when we faced Manning he had to play in coverage too much once again...hopefully that changes this year. 

I agree with this here.

While I love me some Mayo, he one of my favorites, he is certainly not that kind of player to give a team 12 + sacks. I do think he can be effective on certain blitzes as you pointed out up the middle and give us 5+ sacks.

Mayo is an all around guy who can do almost anything serviceably for the team, but he's not a special athlete just a very smart football player who puts himself in the right spot many times to make the play and fit his assignment.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

I am going to pull a lack of reading comprehension Cupcake move right there..watch this:

"COllins = Lawrence Taylor" - Mt Hurl, 2014

bawhahahhaha!

That is what you, TFB12 or one of your toolish buddies would do if I made a skill set and physical attribute comparison to Lawrence Taylor, even though it is very clear Taylor is not being compared to Collins.

Then, you'd lie for years and years saying I made such a comparison, comparing the two players statuses or careers in the NFL.  

Just thought I'd accurately point that out.

Collins reminds me of a faster, shorter, more athletic Charles Haley. I said this last year.  Haley was 3 inches taller, but the body build and skill set is uncanny with some very small differences.

Collins should be able to add some girth to his lower body as he grows more, so I can see him being moved to OLB when BB wants to use the 3-4.

Well see the difference in what I wrote, compared to what you write is quite different, I'll give you some examples...

Smith is a better quarterback than Brady.

Brady = Tony Romo

Cunningham is a better player than Carlos Dunlap will ever be.

Merriweather is the 3rd best safety in the AFC.

Arrington is the best slot corner in the nfl.

Curtis Martin can NOT catch footballs.

jake Ballard is basically Dave Thomas

Adrian Wilson will change our defense and play at an all pro level in our big nickel...he will never have to come off the field.

Ocho Cinco's career was ruined by Brady.

This is the best receiving core we have ever had - even better than 07___said during the 2011 off season, two months before any of those guys even had a single practice (they were all cut before their fifth training camp session).

All I was pointing out is that at a very young age Collins has the freakish ability of a young Lawrence Taylor...he plays for the same coach that developed Taylor...Belichick sang this kid's praise like I have never heard him before. Now I'm not saying Collins will be Lawrence Taylor, but rest assured if he doesn't have that type of career you'll just blame it on Brady. It's all you're capable of. Taylor had freakish raw strength - Collins doesn't have that - but he's got the other freak qualities about him...and he will get stronger. We are talking about a kid with rare ability, working with a coach who is the best...this is a lot different than an undrafted, limited free agent, working with the best coach. This is real.

And Collins is nothing like Haley, last year you said Chandler Jones reminded you of Haley...I know because you wrote it on a thread I started...and I agreed with you. You dipping into the pain meds a little early today?

I did not see a lot of Haley with the 49'ers. I did see a lot of Haley with the Cowboys. IMO he was a much stronger player(at least while he was a bit older with the Boys) with a full arsenal of pass rush moves. 

I don't really recall him being stout against the run, often times he was subbed for in true rushing downs...

I don't ever recall him dropping into pass coverage...ever. 

In Haley, I saw a savvy, at times nasty relentless guy that got after the QB at 260-265 pounds.

I see Collins as much more versatile, with no where near the array of pass rush moves (yet), nor the brute strength that Haley showed. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/26/secret-superstars-2014-patriots/" rel="nofollow">https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/26/secret-superstars-2014-patriots/

The Patriots' war room traded down out of the first round for this guy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to user_3953710's comment:

Why does this forum always have to turn into a b***h fest between everyone instead of talking about football.  I know I don't have 10000 post like most of the people here but I have been reading these for years. It would just be nice to see one topic start on a football topic and stay the  course instead of all the high school drama back and forth.

Why does it always turn into a giant argument?? You said yourself you've been reading the forum for years...ever hear of rusty? He's the first person that chimed in on this thread and ruined it before it even began, in fact he's single handedly ruined this entire forum. Things are different over on the Bruin's forum, there they control him and cast him out, here most people leave or let him bully them. 

Excuse me?  How did I ruin it with my response?  I was being sarcastic making fun of you with your horrendous reading comprehension skills/intentionally bad skills when people make comparisons or statements on this board in general.  You can do it, but I can't, huh? Hello, Mr. Hypocrite.  You have some of the worst character traits a human can have.

You are also infamous for replacing one or two words of mine, changing the tone or meaning of what I said and posting misrepresentations of my statements, which is what trolls do, namely Bustchise.  You're no better than that little gutless puuke.  How does that feel to be a gutless little worm like that?

So, with you comparing Jamie Collins to LT, I could easily do what you do and say you are comparing the talent and career of LT to what Jamie Collins will be, even though I know that is not your intention.  You are comparing skill sets and styles or even physical make up, not the idea that Collins is the next LT.

See, you're a disingenuous turd who shouldn't be teaching children whatsoever. I am not. I am a genuine, diehard fan who likes to discuss things Pats/NFL in mature and honest fashion.

The thread really made a turn for the worse when you couldn't take what I dished back to you, which is what you ALWAYS do in my direction as a raging troll here, and wouldn't let it go with you making a fool of yourself, not accepting my premise of Collins having a touch of Charles Haley in his game.

Personally, I think it's a good sign that no one can come forward with a direct player correlation because of how versatile Collins appears to be.  Chandler Jones, too. These players are far more than one dimensional hand in the dirt 4-3 players like you claim Haley was.

You clearly never watched Haley play if you think he's a 4-3 DE exclusively. Most of the time, he was not a 4-3 DE.  He was moved all over and standing up in space much of the time.

Collins can be like that here.

Well, I think we are two very very different animals....for instance I wouldn't go into a thread and try to sabotage it...I would go into a thread and respond to something you wrote about me. Sure. That's two very different things. And when you consider "character traits", think of it this way...very few people have a real problem with me around here...yes some may disagree with me, but you on the other hand are considered a grotesque individual (perhaps the worst on the entire internet). That's a big difference.

And I don't care what kind of "point you were trying to make" regarding my comparison to Taylor, or how it compares to when you make comparisons, because you missed the mark completely. And I'm not talking about comparisons, I'm talking about your personality - or lack thereof - so you end up coming off wrong. It's kind of like when someone tries to make a joke, but instead comes off awkward and rude...that's you, awkward and rude. Pretty much embarrassing. I've said it before, I'll say it again...I get secondary embarrassment from you. It's stuff like the time you bragged about having a galaxy s3 phone and called yourself "tech savvy"...who does that? Yesterday you said I didn't play hockey and that you'd skate circles around me...really?! I mean what's wrong with you? Clinically? Because there's definitely something.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Just a thought - radical I know - but a thought.  Typically an argument requires more than one participant.  

Back to the topic:  I like Collins a lot and think the kid has some real potential.  Be very interesting to see if his late season burst carries over into the coming season.

Thank you for this.

[object HTMLDivElement]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

Excellent post and I agree. BB does not employ a defense that allows for aggressive sack totals for 1 player. I don't see Mayo as a 15 sack guy but it would be nice to see him shoot the gaps more as opposed to reading and reacting all of the time.

Good thread.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I'm one of the biggest LT fans going, so to make comparisons to him is cringe worthy.  That being said, even I'm guilty of making the Collins reminds me of LT comparison.  Oh don't get me wrong, I can't imagine Collins would have anything even remotely like the career LT did.  However, there are similarities in their size and game that demands comparison for comparison sake.  The big difference though is that LT wasn't just an athletic freak with a blood hound like nose for the ball.  He also had enormous strength that gave him the ability to overpower men of greater size when needed.

I'm looking forward to seeing a whole lot of things about our Patriots this upcoming season, and a whole lot of players.  Yet Collins is the one player I'm looking forward to seeing the most, because this kid is something special and combines attributes you don't see too often in this game.  Here's hoping he makes that a strong second year leap and gives us all something to cheer for and for defensive coordinators to dread. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Agree. They would seem to have that now on the backend. Lets see how bb uses jones, Collins and Easley. Those 3 can get after the QB. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I am going to pull a lack of reading comprehension Cupcake move right there..watch this:

"COllins = Lawrence Taylor" - Mt Hurl, 2014

bawhahahhaha!

That is what you, TFB12 or one of your toolish buddies would do if I made a skill set and physical attribute comparison to Lawrence Taylor, even though it is very clear Taylor is not being compared to Collins.

Then, you'd lie for years and years saying I made such a comparison, comparing the two players statuses or careers in the NFL.  

Just thought I'd accurately point that out.

Collins reminds me of a faster, shorter, more athletic Charles Haley. I said this last year.  Haley was 3 inches taller, but the body build and skill set is uncanny with some very small differences.

Collins should be able to add some girth to his lower body as he grows more, so I can see him being moved to OLB when BB wants to use the 3-4.

Well see the difference in what I wrote, compared to what you write is quite different, I'll give you some examples...

Smith is a better quarterback than Brady.

Brady = Tony Romo

Cunningham is a better player than Carlos Dunlap will ever be.

Merriweather is the 3rd best safety in the AFC.

Arrington is the best slot corner in the nfl.

Curtis Martin can NOT catch footballs.

jake Ballard is basically Dave Thomas

Adrian Wilson will change our defense and play at an all pro level in our big nickel...he will never have to come off the field.

Ocho Cinco's career was ruined by Brady.

This is the best receiving core we have ever had - even better than 07___said during the 2011 off season, two months before any of those guys even had a single practice (they were all cut before their fifth training camp session).

All I was pointing out is that at a very young age Collins has the freakish ability of a young Lawrence Taylor...he plays for the same coach that developed Taylor...Belichick sang this kid's praise like I have never heard him before. Now I'm not saying Collins will be Lawrence Taylor, but rest assured if he doesn't have that type of career you'll just blame it on Brady. It's all you're capable of. Taylor had freakish raw strength - Collins doesn't have that - but he's got the other freak qualities about him...and he will get stronger. We are talking about a kid with rare ability, working with a coach who is the best...this is a lot different than an undrafted, limited free agent, working with the best coach. This is real.

And Collins is nothing like Haley, last year you said Chandler Jones reminded you of Haley...I know because you wrote it on a thread I started...and I agreed with you. You dipping into the pain meds a little early today?

I did not see a lot of Haley with the 49'ers. I did see a lot of Haley with the Cowboys. IMO he was a much stronger player(at least while he was a bit older with the Boys) with a full arsenal of pass rush moves. 

I don't really recall him being stout against the run, often times he was subbed for in true rushing downs...

I don't ever recall him dropping into pass coverage...ever. 

In Haley, I saw a savvy, at times nasty relentless guy that got after the QB at 260-265 pounds.

I see Collins as much more versatile, with no where near the array of pass rush moves (yet), nor the brute strength that Haley showed. 

Agree on the Haley point.

honestly I don't see any similarities between Collins, Haley and LT. I think Collins compares more favorably to Von miller, however, I think Collins can be better than miller in every way. Right now, the 2 are used differently. So it's hard to compare pure stats alone. Collins like mayo is the kind of lb that should never come off the field. Why Collins is so intriguing is because he can be used so many ways, and can be used on all 3 levels of the defense and field. I think his upside is off the charts, and if it all comes together for him, he could be the playmaker the defense has been craving. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Collins and Von Miller comparison is interesting too.

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

Me too...I find it intriguing that both guys are so similar physically yet play in defenses that have them doing totally different primary responsibilities. I had no idea how physically gifted Collins was aside from watching him fly around the field. Frankly, late last season once he felt comfortable with the defensive schemes and was playing like a man possessed I was thinking this guy is going to be a MONSTER next year. He could be just as effective a pass rusher as he wants to be given his explosive first step and his incredible quickness/speed characteristics. He'll fill out as he matures and then he'll be a real beast!

Sections
Shortcuts