Jake Ballard

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejb222. Show ejb222's posts

Jake Ballard

I haven't seen a single word on Jake Ballard. But it seems to me, now that his contract is rolled into 2013(and he is healthy, which seems to be a good bet) we would have the nastiest TE corp in the NFL. 3TE sets would be very unpredictable as to pass or run and we could solidly do both from that set as Hernandez could basically line up outside, inside, backfield etc. I have to think that Ballard is better than any other TE on the payroll besides Gronk and Hern.

Or do you think with only 5 picks in the draft, the Pats test his value? Or can they?

Thoughts???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Jake Ballard

I believe he counts against the cap at $630k. I also believe he is also the best blocker of the group .....best to keep him with the durability issues of Gronk and Hern

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think they picked up Ballard for a good reason. Ballard is more of a traditional TE in Gronks mold (not talent level of course). Considering Jones and Amendola are the only WR's currently on the roster worth mentioning it wouldn't surprise me if next year we see Gronk and Ballard as the two main starting TE's and Hern move over to the F position with Amendola playing mostly outside. This allows them to only have to worry about picking up one more WR this offseason instead of having to pick up 2 and dump either Fells or Hoom

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

folks I dont know what the love affair is with Ballard!! Please go back and look at film when he played, he is an average to below average tight end. Would rather have Hoo-man than Ballard.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

folks I dont know what the love affair is with Ballard!! Please go back and look at film when he played, he is an average to below average tight end. Would rather have Hoo-man than Ballard.

Seriously?  Go back and watch the Ravens game and watch Hooman get absolutely abused as a blocker.  Don't get me wrong I like the guy, but Ballard put up more receiving yards in his one season than Hooman has in his career.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Seriously?  Go back and watch the Ravens game and watch Hooman get absolutely abused as a blocker.  Don't get me wrong I like the guy, but Ballard put up more receiving yards in his one season than Hooman has in his career.

Ballard listed at 280 lbs! He is an OL in the running game!

I dont get the tender offered Hooman...his salary is really out of whack based on his performance last year.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Don't Forget Brad Herman , 2 years out of Iowa, another camp body but could surprise. 6'5" 255.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I think they picked up Ballard for a good reason. Ballard is more of a traditional TE in Gronks mold (not talent level of course). Considering Jones and Amendola are the only WR's currently on the roster worth mentioning it wouldn't surprise me if next year we see Gronk and Ballard as the two main starting TE's and Hern move over to the F position with Amendola playing mostly outside. This allows them to only have to worry about picking up one more WR this offseason instead of having to pick up 2 and dump either Fells or Hoom

You nailed it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I dont agree. Hooman is just not very good. Ballard is not an all star but he can block very well and he is respectable catching the ball. I think you will see him on the field both as a back up to Gronk and as a second blocking TE but one who can catch the ball some. I would expect him to end up with under 24 catches for the year but his respectable ability to catch means they still have to account for him when he is on the field. So he can create mismatches between his blocking and somewhat his catching.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

Getting a feel for Belichick breakfast

Taken from ESPN, Mike Reiss - 3/19/13

4. Ballard’s rehab on positive course. Belichick said that tight end Jake Ballard’s rehabilitation was on a positive course by the end of last season after he spent all of 2012 on injured reserve (knee). If the rehab continues to progress, Ballard would join a crowded tight end depth chart that includes Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Michael Hoomanawanui, Daniel Fells and Brad Herman. That's good news for the former Giant.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

The Giants lost Ballard because after his surgery the front office tried to slip him through waivers and then put him on IR but the Patriots knew that he had developed into a real solid TE and claimed him. Coughlin and the Giants coaching staff were livid and let the Giants front office know in public what a major mistake they made. No head coach would do that if the player wasn't worth it.

Also, what a lot of people don't realize is that due to Ballard not playing enough games the Patriots own his rights for next year also meaning he will be a restricted free agent.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I Have to somewhat agree with this outside of the hoo-man comment because I didnt see enough of him last year. One game he made a reception to start the game and I thought he was hernandez but he did NOTHING after that. In the playoffs,he came in and did nothing. So, I wouldnt be too excited about either. I think fans WANT Ballard to be a start because they can say na nana naaaa, We took Ballard from the Giants and maybe that makes them feel better about losing the SB, but not me. Another thing some fans here do much is overate players based on what they did to THIS Secondary. IN week 11, 2 years ago, he made a few big grabs, most notably the one on Chung after he got hurt,. and a star was Born!!!! lOl,. Besides being a Big TE, the comparisons to Gronk end there. He is just a big TE who can block and catch some balls. Nothing special. Our secondary makes everyone look good and people need to remember that. Right now we have a billion into our top 2 TEs and have Fells and Hooman so Im not thinking about Ballard. Im more concerned if Ras I is gonna play next year. Why are people excited about 4 TE sets?!?!  lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Hooman had a career before becoming a Pat??

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I Have to somewhat agree with this outside of the hoo-man comment because I didnt see enough of him last year. One game he made a reception to start the game and I thought he was hernandez but he did NOTHING after that. In the playoffs,he came in and did nothing. So, I wouldnt be too excited about either. I think fans WANT Ballard to be a start because they can say na nana naaaa, We took Ballard from the Giants and maybe that makes them feel better about losing the SB, but not me. Another thing some fans here do much is overate players based on what they did to THIS Secondary. IN week 11, 2 years ago, he made a few big grabs, most notably the one on Chung after he got hurt,. and a star was Born!!!! lOl,. Besides being a Big TE, the comparisons to Gronk end there. He is just a big TE who can block and catch some balls. Nothing special. Our secondary makes everyone look good and people need to remember that. Right now we have a billion into our top 2 TEs and have Fells and Hooman so Im not thinking about Ballard. Im more concerned if Ras I is gonna play next year. Why are people excited about 4 TE sets?!?!  lol

casue bb thinks hes gonna conquer the world with tes :)

one day an 11 te lineup...... :)

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

He played us well in the sb till he got hurt.  I'm happy we have him. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Are you insane or is this sarcasm?

Ballard is a very good dual purpose TE. Good blocker, good pass receiver. Think Daniel Graham but a guy who won't have alligator arms. 

Yeah I agree. I also think he's an even better blocker than Graham was. The offense is going to be much different than what we've seen the past few years IMO . It's going to be one that can move the ball against good defenses. They may not light up the scoreboard and put up mega fantasy points against weak teams like before but will be much better come playoff teams against the elite.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

well OG i have to respond to this well thought out/written post like this:

one, Ballard is a solid TE, big, tough, can block, pretty good hands-not a star or anyone special in ur offense but solid

two, boy are u asking for it from Rusty with this post! LOL....criticizing the pats D and a player picked up by Bellichick in the same post is just about a mortal sin to ol Russ-duck, man-quick!

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Ballard is solid not spectacular. Better than hooman, certainly not even in the same zip code as Gronk (when healthy). He should be our best blocking TE and as someone said above, probably log something like 25-35 catches. I think this number however could be greater depending on what the pats do at WR, and the health situations of Gronk and Hern. 

We now have 2 big, able bodied pass catching and good blocking te's and Hern who can move all over the formation. I think Hern will see more slot and flanker duty, with Danny liNed outwide and as a flanker. We need 1 more WR on the outside to make this thing go. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

This was an awesome pick up.  I am pretty excitied to see him out on the field this season in a Patriots uniform.  I will be anxious to see what they have planned for him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Are you insane or is this sarcasm?

Ballard is a very good dual purpose TE. Good blocker, good pass receiver. Think Daniel Graham but a guy who won't have alligator arms. 

[/QUOTE]

I am thinking Daniel Graham, below average. Watch ALL of Ballards prior games not just the ones against NE. He will have as much of an impact as Fells did this year.

Post edit: I hope I am wrong!