Jake Bequette; time to step up!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Jake Bequette; time to step up!

This guys is getting break after break after break to get a chance to play. With Chandler banged up, Cunningham out for four games and Scott nursing an injury, Jake is one of the only DEs that is probably able to lace up on Sunday. 

I know everyone was in disagreement when I called him a potential bust a couple of days ago, but if this guy can't get the starting nod next game over an UDRFA in Justin Francis, he's a bust to me. -_-....

3/5 of the guys that are ahead of him in the depth chart are hurt, at least don't be another healthy inactive like last game. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Jake Bequette; time to step up!

Calling a rookie a bust might, just might mind you, be bit premature.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

This guy looked good in the preseason games. Let's give him a chance on the major stage.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yes lets call a 3rd round rookie in the middle of a season a bust because he hasn't started yet >.<

49 you are better then this. You have to give 3rd rounders at least 1 year if not 2 before you expect any big things from them (obviously some skill positions are exempt from this). Besides I've liked what I've seen from Francis. This kid can play and has a high ceiling too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

49er by your logic Brady was a bust after his rookie year because he was 4th string and couldnt beat our Michael Bishop for 3rd string?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

I thought you jumped ship after the Seattle game...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

For many positions, players don't shine until their second or even third year. 

Bequette, drafted at the bottom of the third round, has one particular talent:  he can rush around the end playing the 9 technique, and his motor is nonstop so that he gets home sometimes.  My guess is that he can't play the run yet, that he gets pushed aside when a team is obviously playing run.  Nor does he have other rush moves.  Any good NFL team can assign a fullback to chip block Bequette until the tackle locks onto him, and then the fullback can go out in the flats as a receiver. 

Chandler Jones, first rounder rookie, can play the run well.  Jones can bull rush and his swim move works too.  Teams have learned to double team Jones or else. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

I think Francis will take more of Cunninghams spot. Play seldomly at DE and and on third and long come in and play that DT spot to get a pass rush. I think Francis has a solid mixture of speed and power which is often difficult for a guard to pass block. Thats why you see Cunningham draw hold calls and get pressure up the middle. I think Trevor Scott will play most third downs because of his experience, thats if he is healthy enough to play. Not sure if Chandler Jones will be ready either.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Francis has a MOTOR !!!!!!  i like him...

Baquette will need this year to find the field on a regular basis...  fine with me.

WHAT ABOUT JASON BABIN ????

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to LittleTimmy31's comment:

This guy looked good in the preseason games. Let's give him a chance on the major stage.

I'm not saying he's a bust, but he didn't look "good" in preseason games this year. He was blocked...consistently...and what looked like easily.

I imagine if this guy was showing anything at all during practice he would be starting over an undrafted free agent. Again, it's too early to call him a bust, but there's a reason why he's not playing. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

He was always getting blocked whenever I saw him in the preseason. I hope he can develop but I dont have my hopes up. For him Im afraid its a physical skill thing as opposed to a mental thing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to LittleTimmy31's comment:

I'm not saying he's a bust, but he didn't look "good" in preseason games this year. He was blocked...consistently...and what looked like easily.

I imagine if this guy was showing anything at all during practice he would be starting over an undrafted free agent. Again, it's too early to call him a bust, but there's a reason why he's not playing. 

the udfa is better and more versatile d lineman (right now). thats all.

he would not have been an udfa if he were not injured.

bequette will be evaluated on his own merits for next couple years

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'm not calling him a POTENTIAL bust because he's not DeMarcus Ware or Jared Allen, I'm calling him a bust because he can't play when the only people ahead of him are Trevor Scott and Rob NinkoDink. 

Ninkovich is not someone that should keep anyone off the field, Rob Ninkovich is not a starting DE in the NFL. He's starting for us only because we have no one better to play there. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

I'm not calling him a POTENTIAL bust because he's not DeMarcus Ware or Jared Allen, I'm calling him a bust because he can't play when the only people ahead of him are Trevor Scott and Rob NinkoDink. 

Ninkovich is not someone that should keep anyone off the field, Rob Ninkovich is not a starting DE in the NFL. He's starting for us only because we have no one better to play there. 

Pretty much confirms my earlier assessment that you and I see things very differently.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Pretty much confirms my earlier assessment that you and I see things very differently.  

You think Ninkovich is a quality starter at DE? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I think Nink is a playmaker.  He's tied for the team lead in forced fumbles with 5 and tied for the team lead in sacks with 6.  Is he a perfect DE?  No.  He needs work on playing the run. Does he make a difference on defense?  Absolutely.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Hold on...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I think Nink is a playmaker.  He's tied for the team lead in forced fumbles with 5 and tied for the team lead in sacks with 6.  Is he a perfect DE?  No.  He needs work on playing the run. Does he make a difference on defense?  Absolutely.

I forgot who said that they hated the term 'playmaker' for defensive players, but I agree with them. Ninkovich is not a very good DE, no ifs ands or buts about it. He doesn't play the run very well as a DE, he's not very good at setting the edge as a DE (he was good at it as an OLB in the 3-4) and he's not very good at rushing the QB. Before you say that Ninkovich is a 'playmaker', I want you to pop in some game tape and carefully pay attention to the DL. Both Wilfork and Chandler Jones play on the right side of the DL, they're the strong points on our defensive line. Both Kyle Love and Rob Ninkovich play the left side, they're arguably the two worst players on the defensive starting 11 (take your time, maybe Gregory and Arrington are worst the Nink, not sure). 

Whenever teams play the Patriots, they usually shift protection over to their left (towards the RE and RDT) and usually have 3 guys, sometimes 4 with a RB or TE to bump Chandler, alloted to both Wilfork and Jones. They leave Love and Ninkovich in one on one all the time. Now, for a guy who's constantly being maned up, you should expect that he creates more pressure than he does now. The only time we ever see Ninkovich in the backfield is when he's sacking the opposing QB, he rarely ever creates actual pressure or collapses the pocket otherwise.  

Doesn't anybody think it is odd that a man that is playing LDE, not the traditonal RDE to the QB's blindside that usually is the cause of FFs, has 5 FFs? Doesn't that tell you that QBs aren't even looking for him? Once a game, Ninkovich beats his guy and gets a shot at the QB and makes a strip sack and everyone praises him.

I love the guy, love his work ethic and never give up attitude, but if he's keeping you off the field, I got bad news for you. Ninkovick DE keeping you off the field is like Kyle Arrington keeping you off the field as a CB. You're in trouble, mon ami. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

Ninikovich is one of those hgh motor players that's impossible not to like. He plays hard and the big plays he does make or participate in seem to come at key moments.

But I agree he's more of a rotational guy. If he's the #3 DE and young guys like Cunningham and hopefully Francis and/or Bequette can develop then that's not a bad supporting cast.

But they still need a high end LDE to properly compliment Jones.

It'll be interesting to see what they do in the upcoming off season and draft as they also need a good young DT to help Wilfork. Another guy who is a force inside will extend Wilfork's career.

A lot of resources have been applied to the secondary, so hopefully we see continued improvement that allows BB to look at adding another playmaker or two to the front seven.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I guess my question would be:  Where in any of my posts did I call Nink and every down DE?  I said he's a playmaker, which in my opinion he clearly is.  All the rationalizations in the world do not change that the guy has made some big plays on defense.  The plays were there to be made and he made 'em.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I guess my question would be:  Where in any of my posts did I call Nink and every down DE?  I said he's a playmaker, which in my opinion he clearly is.  All the rationalizations in the world do not change that the guy has made some big plays on defense.  The plays were there to be made and he made 'em.   

To each his own, but Ninkovich is a C average player. I'm not holding my breath that someone who can't beat out Ninkovich (Chandler Jones beat him out in camp) to turn into a good player. I hope I'm wrong, because I'd like to see us go get a DT instead of another DE in the draft, but it looks like I'm right. -_-

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

He got some end-of-game snaps.  Here's hoping they can work him in down the stretch little by little. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Bequette got some reps? Gezz..I never saw him.

Sections
Shortcuts