Jake Bequette

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Jake Bequette

All you guys who wanted him drafted last season and said he should've been the 1st rounder, while Jones the 3rd rounder...

Will he show us anything this year? Because I looked at the tape of him in college, and he wasn't dominant or even good in the tapes. He was okay, nothing special. Now, you guys all had higher hopes and expectations than I, so I'm deferring to you. Will he have a good season this year? And when I say "have a good season", I 'm not asking him for double digit sacks or anything like that. I just want the guy to compete with Ninkovich for that spot. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

Re: Jake Bequette

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

All you guys who wanted him drafted last season and said he should've been the 1st rounder, while Jones the 3rd rounder...

Will he show us anything this year? Because I looked at the tape of him in college, and he wasn't dominant or even good in the tapes. He was okay, nothing special. Now, you guys all had higher hopes and expectations than I, so I'm deferring to you. Will he have a good season this year? And when I say "have a good season", I 'm not asking him for double digit sacks or anything like that. I just want the guy to compete with Ninkovich for that spot. 

Regardless of who plays DE, the sacks will go up if we get a penetrating DL to collapse the pocket.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I don't think a single person said Bequette should have been the 1st pick and Jones was a 3rd. I think we all agreed because of his potential Jones was a top 25 pick while Bequette was about his ceiling and would be a 2nd-3rd round pick.

I think most, including myself, thought Bequette was more polished and NFL ready while Jones was more raw with higher upside and would need to develop more. The general thought was even though Bequette might already be at his ceiling he would be ready to contribute immediatly verses Jones who would eventually take over at some point in the year and be the starter overall. Now most, including myself, were completely wrong about that. Good thing being wrong on Jones, not so good being wrong on Bequette. Now I still think Bequette can contribute (situational or compete against Nink for playing time) but it is concerning the general thought that he was at his ceiling coming out of college and he couldn't crack the line up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Hard to say, but I'm not really expecting much from Bequette.  I think he would have seen more chances last year if he was really that good.  I'm thinking they could draft a DE early this year if we do in fact get Emanual Sanders, and if that were to happen then it would push Bequette even farther down the depth chart. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OutofTownPATS Fan. Show OutofTownPATS Fan's posts

think of Ty Warren when he first got drafted. took him till 2nd / 3rd year before he got it going.

very limited playing time year 1. Hopefully JB is same 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

LOL.  I don't think anyone wanted Jake over Chandler.  As a matter of fact I remember some draft guru's said we took him too early; however, Jake was more "Pro" ready as far as his body and style of play was cocerned.  Obviously that was not the same train of thought of the coaching staff.  Hopefully he can add something in the pass-rush department though.  Maybe that's why they possiblke low balled Abraham...  hopefully the kid has a good camp. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I don't think a single person said Bequette should have been the 1st pick and Jones was a 3rd. I think we all agreed because of his potential Jones was a top 25 pick while Bequette was about his ceiling and would be a 2nd-3rd round pick.

I think most, including myself, thought Bequette was more polished and NFL ready while Jones was more raw with higher upside and would need to develop more. The general thought was even though Bequette might already be at his ceiling he would be ready to contribute immediatly verses Jones who would eventually take over at some point in the year and be the starter overall. Now most, including myself, were completely wrong about that. Good thing being wrong on Jones, not so good being wrong on Bequette. Now I still think Bequette can contribute (situational or compete against Nink for playing time) but it is concerning the general thought that he was at his ceiling coming out of college and he couldn't crack the line up.

+1

at his ceiling and an average athlete. Not a good combo and would like that one back. 

i don't expect much from bequette. My hope is he develops into something useful, but my concern is he's nothing more than Cunningham or even worse. 

I wouldn't go into the draft or rest if FA satisfied with our de situation. Lots of jags, less jones. I like nink standing up better in a 3 man front as well. With Kelly onboard, thinking we get something from armstead , a little from deaderick and Pryor, I hope bb goes to a pass rushing de early in the draft or brings in Abraham. It will have a huge effect on our defense, especially with the guys I mentioned inside with Vince and jones on the other side.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Yeah, I remember looking at his college film and was not very impressed.   I thought they picked him a little high.

This year should say a little something about how he has developed after having a full season in the system.  

Maybe he has the physical tools but needs more time to develope and polish his skill set.

On the other hand, he could end up being a bust.  I'm sort of leaning in this direction.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

Im not sure who said he was better than Jones, but I liked the pic based on limited film but I wasnt excited because I know its hard to project. After watching him in training camp I was less enthused and I dont see him cracking the rotation this year. I think too much talent ahead of him which aint saying much about his play with Nink and Francis in front but I dont see it from this guy. Maybe by years end, he is in situationally but more than likely he is gonna be brougth along slow and maybe take over for Nink in 2014 is best we could ask for if he makes strides. If he doesnt, he wil cut in next years camp.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I thought JB looked hurt last year    I think something was wrong with him.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Revisionist history...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

No one said that Bequette was supposed to be taken higher than Jones, in fact Jones was one of the fastest rising players days before the draft. Watching Jones I didn't get why people said he needed polish - there are players coming out now that are being compared to him, but not as polished (this stuff makes me laugh). A year later the guy that wasn't "polished" is now considered so polished as a young prospect that other prospects would hope to be as polished as him. I really am starting to feel that no one knows a thing about draft prospects in these draft publications.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

No one said that Bequette was supposed to be taken higher than Jones, in fact Jones was one of the fastest rising players days before the draft. Watching Jones I didn't get why people said he needed polish - there are players coming out now that are being compared to him, but not as polished (this stuff makes me laugh). A year later the guy that wasn't "polished" is now considered so polished as a young prospect that other prospects would hope to be as polished as him. I really am starting to feel that no one knows a thing about draft prospects in these draft publications.

I'm inclined to agree.  It's particularly the case once they get beyond the 1st round and often late in the 1st.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I wanted him to be drafted, never said he should have been a first rounder, in fact can't remember anyone saying that, and I still think he will be a productive player.  He played the deepest position on our team with a large group of vets ahead of him, it's not surprising he sat.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I wanted him to be drafted, never said he should have been a first rounder, in fact can't remember anyone saying that, and I still think he will be a productive player.  He played the deepest position on our team with a large group of vets ahead of him, it's not surprising he sat.

Not saying I disagree that he may turn into a good player, but I disagree that he sat because of the position being deep, and that there was a large group of vets in front of him. You know as well as I do that if the kid could play Belichick would of had him out there - a undrafted free agent was playing towards the end of the season at end. We had plenty of injuries at the end position that should of opened up playing time for him...Scott got hurt, Jones had the ankle, Cunningham got suspended...the guy could of been out there if he was deserving. He wasn't.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

He was an impact player while at Arkansas, at least the times I saw him play. In pre season it looked like he was close to the QB a few times but then he disappeared. He had some sort if minor injury too. I think that he's either going to take a big step forward or get cut. They can't afford to have him sitting around taking up roster space again this year IMO 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

+1

at his ceiling and an average athlete. Not a good combo and would like that one back. 

i don't expect much from bequette. My hope is he develops into something useful, but my concern is he's nothing more than Cunningham or even worse. 

So if you had the pick back and could take anybody that went after Bequette, who would you pick? Find one difference maker in the entire 2012 draft after Bequette. That is, one player who would have made a difference with the Patriots.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

+1

So if you had the pick back and could take anybody that went after Bequette, who would you pick? Find one difference maker in the entire 2012 draft after Bequette. That is, one player who would have made a difference with the Patriots.

Great post.  I actually went back and looked at the rest of the 2012 draft after the Bequette pick, and it actually made me feel a lot better about NE selecting him.  The only guy I saw that stood out as a "impact" player that would have been a better choice is Colts WR TY Hilton, who was picked 2 picks after Bequette.  Other than that, the 4th-7th rounds look like a bunch of scrubs until you get to Dennard in the 7th.  After reviewing the draft a year later, it is even more unbelievable that we got Dennard where we did.  Also crazy that Justin Francis went undrafted when you look at all of the late round duds who did get picked...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

+1

I would've traded up to get Janoris Jenkins in the second with my second (Tavon) and 3rd (Bequette), drafted Tavon in Ebner's spot(Tavon would've been there) and draft Ebner with Ebert's pick. 

I know, hindsight, but Jake will be on my list until he beats out Ninkovich, 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Not saying I disagree that he may turn into a good player, but I disagree that he sat because of the position being deep, and that there was a large group of vets in front of him. You know as well as I do that if the kid could play Belichick would of had him out there - a undrafted free agent was playing towards the end of the season at end. We had plenty of injuries at the end position that should of opened up playing time for him...Scott got hurt, Jones had the ankle, Cunningham got suspended...the guy could of been out there if he was deserving. He wasn't.

I wasn't simply saying he sat because there were vets in front of him, even though in the NFL there is some of that nepotism going on.  It has less to do with age and more to do with contracts, the highest paid players play until they prove that a younger, better, cheaper player can do a better job.  Bequette didn't play early on, but by season's end he was getting snaps, unfortunately there's no experience like real game experience and he needs to learn one of the toughest assignments for a rookie to learn, to play contain on the edge.  If he continues to practice his craft, learn the system and we play more three man fronts this year it will allow him and all of our outside linebackers to thrive.