Jame White

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Jame White

Great article . . .  http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20140524-selflessness-has-served-patriots-rookie-james-white-well.ece" rel="nofollow">http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20140524-selflessness-has-served-patriots-rookie-james-white-well.ece

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Re: Jame White

Hoping that having been buried that he has fewer hits on that body and he ends up being the go-to guy for this team on third downs.  Would not mind if he gets the Woodhead role and they move Vereen into a role as a receiver.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I've watched a ton of White's tape and I keep thinking that his style is very reminiscent of Emmitt Smith's.

No, I'm not saying he's the same level talent of Emmitt or that he'll have anything close to the same career.   But if you concentrate on style only, they're very similar.

Both display excellent vision, patience and balance, run with a low center or gravity, have very good make-you-miss in the hole and open field due to very good suddenness  and an ability to cut on a dime... and like Smith, White looks like a potential factor on passing downs.

Now Smith was a bigger back (12-15+ pounds, though I'd exect White to gain some weight), and had more natural power, but both were listed at 5-9 and have solid, compact builds.

Again, not in any way saying that White will be Smith or anything close... but I see some similarities.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Since Dillon we haven't had a guy that could get 2 freaking yards when absolutely necessary, with the latest busts being the fragile Vereen and fumbles Ridley. It would be nice to actually have a productive running game to take some pressure off Brady.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I've watched a ton of White's tape and I keep thinking that his style is very reminiscent of Emmitt Smith's.

No, I'm not saying he's the same level talent of Emmitt or that he'll have anything close to the same career.   But if you concentrate on style only, they're very similar.

Both display excellent vision, patience and balance, run with a low center or gravity, have very good make-you-miss in the hole and open field due to very good suddenness  and an ability to cut on a dime... and like Smith, White looks like a potential factor on passing downs.

Now Smith was a bigger back (12-15+ pounds, though I'd exect White to gain some weight), and had more natural power, but both were listed at 5-9 and have solid, compact builds.

Again, not in any way saying that White will be Smith or anything close... but I see some similarities.

Could not agree more. I feel the exact same way about everything you wrote here...to the cutting ability, field vision, make you miss qualities...to the Smith's size and power advantage. That will be the key - can White add that size and strength? Because if he can't he'll most likely be a backup or third down back, and I'd love to see him be much more than that.

I really respect Smith so much more as a runner when I look at these two, because Smith is everything White is, but with that ability to run through a 250 pound linebacker (at that limited size)...that's pretty rare.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Since Dillon we haven't had a guy that could get 2 freaking yards when absolutely necessary, with the latest busts being the fragile Vereen and fumbles Ridley. It would be nice to actually have a productive running game to take some pressure off Brady.

There is no Corey on this roster but the thing that keeps us from being effective in short yardage (when we are not) is the O line and especially the C, RG and TE (when Gronk is not available). Ridley is a good back. So is Vereen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

I like White. He can make defenders miss. Definitely looking forward to seeing him in camp/pre-season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I see hm closer to Faulk than Smith but I think BB made the best comparison, Vereen. He shares a number of traits to Vereen. Both in running ability and ability to catch. Sounds like BB realizes that Vereen might not be able to stay healthy and decided that with his contract coming up better to get a replacement now than next year.

And no I won't call Vereen a bust because of the injures. He didn't have that MO in college so can't put that on BB. I actually applaud BB for finding a replacement and a backup for this year realizing Vereen can't stay healthy. I thought he made a mistake letting Woodhead walk last year, still do, but this could make up for it.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I see hm closer to Faulk than Smith but I think BB made the best comparison, Vereen. He shares a number of traits to Vereen. Both in running ability and ability to catch. Sounds like BB realizes that Vereen might not be able to stay healthy and decided that with his contract coming up better to get a replacement now than next year.

And no I won't call Vereen a bust because of the injures. He didn't have that MO in college so can't put that on BB. I actually applaud BB for finding a replacement and a backup for this year realizing Vereen can't stay healthy. I thought he made a mistake letting Woodhead walk last year, still do, but this could make up for it.

I read when he said that and I got to admit I was a little disappointed...I don't want another third down back...I want a guy who doesn't have to come off the field. I understand how important a third down back is to this offense, but I want Vareen to be that guy...I want White to be more than that.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

Woodhead is about done.  Smallish RBs like that have a very short shelf life.  WOodhead fumbled many times last year, too, bring thrust into the lead RB role.

That's interesting as he had his second highest rushing season and highest receiving  yards season of his career last year. And he played in all 16 games. I guess he is done.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Woodhead is about done.  Smallish RBs like that have a very short shelf life.  WOodhead fumbled many times last year, too, bring thrust into the lead RB role.

That's interesting as he had his second highest rushing season and highest receiving  yards season of his career last year. And he played in all 16 games. I guess he is done.

[object HTMLDivElement]

You just have to read everything backwards with Rusty. ie:

Woodhead is done - Woodhead is still productive

A. Wilson is still a 3 down player like Rodney - A. Wilson is done

Brady is washed up - Brady is still a top 3 QB

Amendola will give more than Welker - Amendola will be Amendola and not worth the money

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

You just have to read everything backwards with Rusty. ie:

Woodhead is done - Woodhead is still productive

A. Wilson is still a 3 down player like Rodney - A. Wilson is done

Brady is washed up - Brady is still a top 3 QB

Amendola will give more than Welker - Amendola will be Amendola and not worth the money

Thanks for providing the Rosetta Stone to reading rusty. I won't e confused any longer by his posts.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I read when he said that and I got to admit I was a little disappointed...I don't want another third down back...I want a guy who doesn't have to come off the field. I understand how important a third down back is to this offense, but I want Vareen to be that guy...I want White to be more than that.

Check out this Houston kid, 230 pounds, low center of gravity, solid runner and can catch the ball who may be that guy.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Well when they drafted each I think they had plans for Vereen to be the every down back and Ridley to be closer to the goal line and short yardage type of back. But as Vereen couldn't stay on the field each went different routes. So, White could still be that 3 down type of player but I think he'll need a year or two to get up to speed in the NFL. He's quick and shifty but the players at this level and a light year ahead of most college players in terms of speed and agility, so he might need to adjust a little.  

Houston was clocked running a 4.46 forty at the Indiana pro day, he had a 40 inch vertical(!), his agility drills would have placed him near the top of the combine had he been invited.  Something you guys will like he didn't miss any time due to injury in college, doesn't fumble and graduated on time.  He also made some hard to make catches and is a no nonsense runner who finds creases along the line and explodes through the hole. 

He's probably my favorite UDFA long shot to make the team and have an impact.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sxsd7d775-w" rel="nofollow">http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sxsd7d775-w

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Wozz, do u see either or both on the team? Bolden? Devlin?

In response to rkarp's comment:

Wozz, do u see either or both on the team? Bolden? Devlin?

Devlin will make the squad depending on how many tight ends make the roster.  If Devlin goes to the practice squad (eligible?) it's not like he is going to be snapped up.  

Ridley, Bolden, Vereen, White and Houston will be in an open competition.  I think they'll carry them all or cut one, Bolden most likely.

In response to wozzy's comment:

Houston was clocked running a 4.46 forty at the Indiana pro day, he had a 40 inch vertical(!), his agility drills would have placed him near the top of the combine had he been invited.  Something you guys will like he didn't miss any time due to injury in college, doesn't fumble and graduated on time.  He also made some hard to make catches and is a no nonsense runner who finds creases along the line and explodes through the hole. 

He's probably my favorite UDFA long shot to make the team and have an impact.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sxsd7d775-w" rel="nofollow">http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sxsd7d775-w" rel="nofollow">http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sxsd7d775-w

[object HTMLDivElement]

I have to admit, haven't done much research on Houston but he sounds amazing, like a 1st round pick amazing...... So what's the catch? There is a reason he went undrafted afterall

I have to admit, haven't done much research on Houston but he sounds amazing, like a 1st round pick amazing...... So what's the catch? There is a reason he went undrafted afterall

Indiana split carries, more of a result of the system and coach.

Indiana split carries, more of a result of the system and coach.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Split carries doesn't get you undrafted with that much upside. White split carries and still went drafted. Heck they had a QB convert who didn't play the position get drafted in day 2. There's something about his game or talent that caused him to go UDFA, just curious what that could be

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Stephen Houston
    School: Indiana
    Position: RB

Positive: Junior-college transfer who posted a career-best 802 rushing yards as a sophomore. Large, downhill runner who does not consistently play to his level of ability. Displays terrific running vision, finds the hole, and shows a burst through the lane. Rarely brought down by the first defender, breaks tackles, and takes a pounding. Solid receiver out of the backfield and makes catches with his hands.

Negative: Does not play with a physical style. Not an elusive runner who makes defenders miss. Was the number two back at Indiana last year.

Analysis: From a physical standpoint Houston possesses all the skills necessary to make an NFL roster but consistently fell short of expectations. If motivated he'll make a roster come September.

http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/2014/RB/Stephen-Houston

Split carries doesn't get you undrafted with that much upside. White split carries and still went drafted. Heck they had a QB convert who didn't play the position get drafted in day 2. There's something about his game or talent that caused him to go UDFA, just curious what that could be

Tom Brady split time with Drew Henson...

Tom Brady split time with Drew Henson...

[object HTMLDivElement]

And Brady was drafted

• Sections
    Shortcuts