Jame White

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Jame White

In response to PatsEng's comment:

And Brady was drafted

Brandon Bolden, Wes Welker, Arian Foster weren't... There are only so many draft picks available.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I have to admit, haven't done much research on Houston but he sounds amazing, like a 1st round pick amazing...... So what's the catch? There is a reason he went undrafted afterall

[/QUOTE]

Indiana split carries, more of a result of the system and coach.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Split carries doesn't get you undrafted with that much upside. White split carries and still went drafted. Heck they had a QB convert who didn't play the position get drafted in day 2. There's something about his game or talent that caused him to go UDFA, just curious what that could be

[/QUOTE]

he is in that tweener area size wise, and is a step slower than ideal. durable, good hands adequate blocker make him a camp invite that could show his mettle on the field.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

he is in that tweener area size wise, and is a step slower than ideal. durable, good hands adequate blocker make him a camp invite that could show his mettle on the field.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Thank you, Rkarp. This is what I was looking for, instead of someone calling him the next Brady for RB's......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Brandon Bolden, Wes Welker, Arian Foster weren't... There are only so many draft picks available.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

If Bolden's the comparison than he's not going to be all that exciting to watching. As for Welker and Foster, great players and yes you do find gold every so often but over 99% of UDFA's are UDFA's for a reason and even Foster and Welker had reasons not to be drafted. Not saying this kid can't be good but Wozzy, you are comparing him to the .01% class of UDFA's in Welker and Foster. Asking why he went UDFA is a legit question when you point out such great praise for him that it makes him sound like a day 1-2 kid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I have to admit, haven't done much research on Houston but he sounds amazing, like a 1st round pick amazing...... So what's the catch? There is a reason he went undrafted afterall

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Split carries doesn't get you undrafted with that much upside. White split carries and still went drafted. Heck they had a QB convert who didn't play the position get drafted in day 2. There's something about his game or talent that caused him to go UDFA, just curious what that could be

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

230 pounds is a tweener? 

4.48 is slow for 230 pounds?

I don't know sht about this guy other then the measurables these guys just posted but I don't see how that works, and how that is what patseng was "looking for"???

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

If Bolden's the comparison than he's not going to be all that exciting to watching. As for Welker and Foster, great players and yes you do find gold every so often but over 99% of UDFA's are UDFA's for a reason and even Foster and Welker had reasons not to be drafted. Not saying this kid can't be good but Wozzy, you are comparing him to the .01% class of UDFA's in Welker and Foster. Asking why he went UDFA is a legit question when you point out such great praise for him that it makes him sound like a day 1-2 kid.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Sounds like he wasn't invited to the combine. Like Seabass. Suggesting that the kid can't be good because he went undrafted doesn't make any sense. I think it would be fair to say brady probably wouldn't have been drafted if it wasn't for BB and Rehbein.

And obviously BB has shown a propensity for finding undrafted RB's and playing them....BJGE, Woodhead, Bolden etc..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Wozzy also said aj Francis had stud potential and then he didn't play a single down. Does the same thing with every fringe player, wildly overrates them and then backtracks and calls patriots fans spoiled if his ridiculous expectations aren't met.

At least he has finally realized that the patriots no longer run a base 3-4 defense. Baby steps Wozzydoo...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

230 pounds is a tweener? 

4.48 is slow for 230 pounds?

I don't know sht about this guy other then the measurables these guys just posted but I don't see how that works, and how that is what patseng was "looking for"???

[/QUOTE]

I could be mistaken, but the player questioned is James WHite, RB drafted out of Wiscons, correct? 5'9". 204 LBS. Step to a step and a half slow for the NFL...why I questioned his chances to make the team

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

White will make the team. He produced in an extremely competitive conference and played well in big games. His game is an all around game, not spectacular in any one area but very solid football player overall. He's a one cut back, never fumbles, catches the ball in his hands out of the backfield and is a more than adequate blocker for runs and, most importantly, in protecting the QB. Yep, he'll make the squad.

Houston, who ran the 4.46 forty , had a 40" verticle and long jump of 11 feet at 6', 230 lean pounds also could make the squad, another one cut back with power through the hole and breakaway speed and power when he gets into the secondary. He has great ability to manage his blockers during a play and squeezes extra forward yardage each time he carries the ball...he'll never make it to the PS because someone would sign him....the Pats backfield could look vastly different than last year's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Sounds like he wasn't invited to the combine. Like Seabass. Suggesting that the kid can't be good because he went undrafted doesn't make any sense. I think it would be fair to say brady probably wouldn't have been drafted if it wasn't for BB and Rehbein.

And obviously BB has shown a propensity for finding undrafted RB's and playing them....BJGE, Woodhead, Bolden etc..

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yet Seabass was drafted......  The vast majority of UDFA's are UDFA's for a reason. Cherry picking a couple of the handful brought in doesn't suggest they are any good. I know you hate the odds and everything but the vast majority of UDFA's aren't any good. If he is great but with what Wozzy said does that sound like a UDFA to you? So, why isn't it legit to ask why he went UDFA? Is that an unreasonable question? Seriously why do you see every question as a personal attack against BB that you feel you must defend instead of taking a step back understanding why the question was asked and actually having a real football conversation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think Houston is intriguing, but in my opinion he runs a little upright and goes down a little too easily for a guy his size. He also doesn't look like he is anything but a one cut guy with some questionable instincts. That's just my opinion. I have seen him run and I had no idea he tested out so well...he looked more like a 4.6 guy when I watched him. Someone mentioned that he reminded them of Arian Foster, and I get that a little bit, but Foster just looks like a stronger player...and faster (even though he runs a slower 40).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There is a lot more than 1% of undrafted players who end up on rosters, in fact while not a true stat BB seemingly signs one who contributes every year.  

"Drafted" is a badge that siginifies nothing, Tim Tebow, KiJana Carter and Chad Jackson got drafted... what then?  

I trust in BB, I trust my pre-draft list from my draft thread.  I like Houston more than I do White who was drafted.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

There is a lot more than 1% of undrafted players who end up on rosters, in fact while not a true stat BB seemingly signs one who contributes every year.  

"Drafted" is a badge that siginifies nothing, Tim Tebow, KiJana Carter and Chad Jackson got drafted... what then?  

I trust in BB, I trust my pre-draft list from my draft thread.  I like Houston more than I do White who was drafted.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Of course BB finds 1 a year because there are enough injures that 1 will eventually play, but how many last more than a year? He brings in over 20 between preseason and the regular season and very few last more than a year with the Pats or make it off the PS. Even fewer actually become starters on the team and I think BB is one of the best when it comes to UDFA's. Then how many around the league actually become pro-bowlers like Welker and Foster? More UDFA's are in camps than drafted players every year but when it comes time to cut down to 53 you see 3 to 4 times as many drafted rooks on rosters than you see UDFA rooks despite the fact there are more UDFA's that come in and out of camp than draft picks. I mean if you think you have just as good of a shot at UDFA than high draft picks then what's the point of picks at all? Why not just trade back everything to get as many back of the draft picks as possible and load up on your choice of who would normally be UDFA's?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

The drawback I see in Houston is that he has little wiggle. Unlike J. White, Houston did not display much shake-n-bake in the videos I watched.

Nonetheless, he seemed to have good vision is a decisive runner. He's not a hammer, but is not afraid of contact. 

Seemed like a good pass catcher, etc.

If he can pass protect, he makes this team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wozz, do u see either or both on the team? Bolden? Devlin?

[/QUOTE]

Devlin will make the squad depending on how many tight ends make the roster.  If Devlin goes to the practice squad (eligible?) it's not like he is going to be snapped up.  

Ridley, Bolden, Vereen, White and Houston will be in an open competition.  I think they'll carry them all or cut one, Bolden most likely.

[/QUOTE]

Develin is no longer practice squad eligible, but I think you're right he's likely to make the roster.  I doubt they'll carry six RBs/FBs, however.  Even with just two TEs, I think one FB and four RBs is more likely. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

Of course BB finds 1 a year because there are enough injures that 1 will eventually play, but how many last more than a year? He brings in over 20 between preseason and the regular season and very few last more than a year with the Pats or make it off the PS. Even fewer actually become starters on the team and I think BB is one of the best when it comes to UDFA's. Then how many around the league actually become pro-bowlers like Welker and Foster? More UDFA's are in camps than drafted players every year but when it comes time to cut down to 53 you see 3 to 4 times as many drafted rooks on rosters than you see UDFA rooks despite the fact there are more UDFA's that come in and out of camp than draft picks. I mean if you think you have just as good of a shot at UDFA than high draft picks then what's the point of picks at all? Why not just trade back everything to get as many back of the draft picks as possible and load up on your choice of who would normally be UDFA's?

[/QUOTE]

BS... 

The draft is a crapshoot and that extends to UDFA players as well.  

Kenbrell Thompkins started first eight games of last season, not because of injury but because he beat out a bunch of drafted players to make the team and then beat a whole bunch of other draftees out to earn the starting nod.  Dan Connolly has started for years, beat out many drafted players over that time, Josh Kline was one of our better interior lineman last year, Sealver Siliga pretty much salvaged a lost season for us, James Develin is pretty good, Law Firm wasn't too shabby, Adam Vinatieri wasn't a bad undrafted player either...

This is from a Profootballtalk article in 2012:

More than one-third of the Patriots roster was undrafted. The Patriots also have eleven more players that were taken in the fifth round or later in the draft. Less than half of the team was drafted in the first four rounds. 12 Patriots were signed “off the street” or during training camp.

“I tell the team that I don’t care how you got here, it’s what you do when you get here. It doesn’t matter if you were drafted in the second round, the fifth round, or not drafted at all,” Belichick said in response to a question from PFT in Indianapolis.

A lot of teams say that to their players, but most squads are more sentimental about hanging on to past mistakes. The Patriots are far from perfect in personnel, but they do a better job than most of self scouting.

“Players ask me before the season, if we sign them as a free agent or if we draft them, ‘What do you want my role to be?’ Whatever you make it, I don’t know,” Belichick said. “If you play good, you will have a big role, if you don’t play very well, then someone else will have a bigger role than you will.”

The same way some really bad players get drafted in the first three rounds, good players sometimes go undrafted.  Considering that a small subsection of this board thinks that even our All Pro's sux, the notion that all UDFA's have to sux as well isn't surprising.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Good post wozz

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

BS... 

The draft is a crapshoot and that extends to UDFA players as well.  

Kenbrell Thompkins started first eight games of last season, not because of injury but because he beat out a bunch of drafted players to make the team and then beat a whole bunch of other draftees out to earn the starting nod.  Dan Connolly has started for years, beat out many drafted players over that time, Josh Kline was one of our better interior lineman last year, Sealver Siliga pretty much salvaged a lost season for us, James Develin is pretty good, Law Firm wasn't too shabby, Adam Vinatieri wasn't a bad undrafted player either...

This is from a Profootballtalk article in 2012:

More than one-third of the Patriots roster was undrafted. The Patriots also have eleven more players that were taken in the fifth round or later in the draft. Less than half of the team was drafted in the first four rounds. 12 Patriots were signed “off the street” or during training camp.

“I tell the team that I don’t care how you got here, it’s what you do when you get here. It doesn’t matter if you were drafted in the second round, the fifth round, or not drafted at all,” Belichick said in response to a question from PFT in Indianapolis.

A lot of teams say that to their players, but most squads are more sentimental about hanging on to past mistakes. The Patriots are far from perfect in personnel, but they do a better job than most of self scouting.

“Players ask me before the season, if we sign them as a free agent or if we draft them, ‘What do you want my role to be?’ Whatever you make it, I don’t know,” Belichick said. “If you play good, you will have a big role, if you don’t play very well, then someone else will have a bigger role than you will.”

The same way some really bad players get drafted in the first three rounds, good players sometimes go undrafted.  Considering that a small subsection of this board thinks that even our All Pro's sux, the notion that all UDFA's have to sux as well isn't surprising.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

If it's such a crap shoot than why are 1st round picks so valuable? It's not a crap shoot as data has shown the closer you are to the 1st round the higher chance you have of finding a player who can start period. When you get to UDFA territory the chances of finding a skilled starter aren't anywhere even close compared to in the 1st round. If that was the case then why wouldn't every team in the league trade back into the 7th as many times as possible? Why is it that more often than not players graded in certain rounds play up to those grades? It's not always the case but more often than not the predraft rankings hold true.

How many of those UDFA's signed in 2012 are still on the team? You speak as if we found great talent instead of lacking the talent (hence so many UDFA's) that was later replaced by more talented draft picks. Heck the praised UDFA's (including Thompkins) are on the bubble in this years camp. They might not even make the team they were so good. Thompkins played because there was no one else. Boyce was hurt and Amendola was hurt. That left effectively 3 players left to play. But, notice as those hurt players returned Thompkins was benched? Where was he at the end of the year when Slater was running down field against Den?

Siliga salvaged the season? How? The DL was still horrible after he joined. It didn't suddenly improve drastically and Den sure didn't mind that he was in the center. And why did they have to sign him? Because 2 other UDFA's couldn't cut it to begin with. Did you forget that part? If Siliga was so good why did BB draft Easley? To replace a weakness that was the interior DL. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

I think the 1% or less number is accurate for UDFA. Even low balling..... if every team picked up 8 UDFA that made the roster every year your still talking 256 players out of thousands.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

If it's such a crap shoot than why are 1st round picks so valuable? It's not a crap shoot as data has shown the closer you are to the 1st round the higher chance you have of finding a player who can start period. When you get to UDFA territory the chances of finding a skilled starter aren't anywhere even close compared to in the 1st round. If that was the case then why wouldn't every team in the league trade back into the 7th as many times as possible? Why is it that more often than not players graded in certain rounds play up to those grades? It's not always the case but more often than not the predraft rankings hold true.

How many of those UDFA's signed in 2012 are still on the team? You speak as if we found great talent instead of lacking the talent (hence so many UDFA's) that was later replaced by more talented draft picks. Heck the praised UDFA's (including Thompkins) are on the bubble in this years camp. They might not even make the team they were so good. Thompkins played because there was no one else. Boyce was hurt and Amendola was hurt. That left effectively 3 players left to play. But, notice as those hurt players returned Thompkins was benched? Where was he at the end of the year when Slater was running down field against Den?

Siliga salvaged the season? How? The DL was still horrible after he joined. It didn't suddenly improve drastically and Den sure didn't mind that he was in the center. And why did they have to sign him? Because 2 other UDFA's couldn't cut it to begin with. Did you forget that part? If Siliga was so good why did BB draft Easley? To replace a weakness that was the interior DL. 

[/QUOTE]

This is football, everyone is on the bubble.  Tom Brady just told you there is no entitlement in the NFL, he wasn't just paying lip service.  

Every year over a thousand players put their name into the draft pool, there are only 32 teams with an average of 7 picks.  Players slip through the cracks.  In 2012, 18 undrafted free agents dotted the 53-man Patriot roster, including eight starters.  

The brain trust didn't care that Jerry Rice came from Mississippi Valley State or that Jamie Collins played at Southern Mississippi, great talent evaluators like Bill Walsh and Belichick took them in the first round anyway, despite the consternation of some fans and sports writers who asked why.

Sealver Siligia provided run stopping when it was the biggest weakness on our team, carrying us further than we would have gotten without him, the run game did improve when was added and slowly started degrading because he got worn down with no help, the same way Kelly did before him.  

And the patriots aren't alone, the NFL is littered with UDFA's who contribute to teams.  I don't have to tell you why first round picks are valuable but I will, it's because you have the largest talent pool to cull from, it's not because first rounders are inherently better.  

Smart evaluators take Logan Mankins way before he is supposed to be drafted because Bill Belichick's draft board looks entirely different then yours, Mel Kiper's and Todd McShay's big board.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

This is football, everyone is on the bubble.  Tom Brady just told you there is no entitlement in the NFL, he wasn't just paying lip service.  

Every year over a thousand players put their name into the draft pool, there are only 32 teams with an average of 7 picks.  Players slip through the cracks.  In 2012, 18 undrafted free agents dotted the 53-man Patriot roster, including eight starters.  

The brain trust didn't care that Jerry Rice came from Mississippi Valley State or that Jamie Collins played at Southern Mississippi, great talent evaluators like Bill Walsh and Belichick took them in the first round anyway, despite the consternation of some fans and sports writers who asked why.

Sealver Siligia provided run stopping when it was the biggest weakness on our team, carrying us further than we would have gotten without him, the run game did improve when was added and slowly started degrading because he got worn down with no help, the same way Kelly did before him.  

And the patriots aren't alone, the NFL is littered with UDFA's who contribute to teams.  I don't have to tell you why first round picks are valuable but I will, it's because you have the largest talent pool to cull from, it's not because first rounders are inherently better.  

Smart evaluators take Logan Mankins way before he is supposed to be drafted because Bill Belichick's draft board looks entirely different then yours, Mel Kiper's and Todd McShay's big board.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Wow, I mean WOW!!!!!!  So, someone like James Logan is as good as Watkins? Now I've heard everything. 1st rounders are 1st rounders because they are better than everyone else. It doesn't mean everyone works out as some will fail and it doesn't mean picks in later rounds couldn't be better because they can but wow is all I can say. Take a comparison of the ratio of pro-bowlers found in the 1st to any other round and by far and away more pro-bowlers come from the 1st than any other round. Just in case you didn't realize Rice was picked in the 1st so I have no clue what you are trying to say there. All I see is if you have the talent some team will take you in the 1st because of said talent. So the more talented you are the higher you go regardless of where you came from, is that what you are trying to say because if so I agree hence that UDFA's are inherently less talented. It's got nothing to do with school. You can play the game and have the talent you get drafted. If there is question that you can or on your talent you have to prove you are that very slim % of players who go UDFA but should have been selected.

Siliga got worn down? He played 5 games! If he can't play 5 games when the rest of the league had already played 11 (I'm pretty sure they were worn down too) then he has no right to be in the league! The play degraded because other teams got film on him. It happens a lot, when there isn't a lot of film players have great games and people fall in love with them. But, as soon as teams get some tape on them they disappear. It happened with Chris Jones, Vellano, and it happened with Siliga. We would have gotten just as far without Siliga too. It's not like we went against powerhouse running teams when he played. I mean really you don't think we'd beat the Colts without Siliga in the middle?

Mankins would have still been drafted and he was pegged for round 2-3 so it's not like he was drafted T. Wilson style either!!!! Why do you keep on bringing up examples of drafted players to suggest UDFA's are that much better? I mean really you aren't helping your case when you are using probowl 1st and 2nd round picks to say that UDFA's can be just as good.

Tell you what, go through the list of hundreds-thousands of UDFA's from 10-12' (gives them a couple years in the league) and tell me how many are currently starters. I don't think you could even field a full team with them but you can prove me wrong.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Pats eng, what is your point here? 

[object HTMLDivElement]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I simply wanted to know what the knock was on Houston and why he went UDFA to begin with. How Wozzy described him it didn't sound like a UDFA player, it made him sound like a day 2 type of pick, so I was looking to see why he went UDFA before going gaga over him.

The point in the end boils down to there is a reason players go UDFA and for the most part finding a top end UDFA player is like finding a needle in the haystack. Yes it happens but not to the extent some around here make it out to be. So before I proclaim him the next Dillon I'm interested in hearing why we got him as a UDFA and why 256 players went before him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

James Logan is better than Watkins?  You said that, not me.  

I had Watkins on my big board because he was a superior athlete, not because Mel Kiper had him rated higher.  

Great players would still be great players whether they picked draft choices from a hat or threw darts at the dart board.  1st rounders are inherently valuable because you pick earlier than everyone else, obviously there some high impact players to be had in the first two rounds who can't be denied, but there are also workout warriors who margainilly produced in college who will wash out in three years.

Good talent evaluators and draft gurus take the best talent available from their draft board, not boards built from popular opinion.  If they know it's likely they will have a hidden gem waiting for them in undrafted free agency after the draft is over they typically are negotiating with their agents prior to the draft.  Often "whether we draft you or not we still want you" is a typical in these situations.  

The Hall Of Fame is rife with players who were drafted so late that those rounds no longer exist in the modern draft.  Small school players, players who never could stay healthy, or bounced around from position to position trying to help the team, this happens all the time.  

You're trying to argue against historical fact.  Yes, the draft is the beginning of the team rebuilding process but it is hardly the end.  BB doesn't give a rat's az where a player was drafted once camp kicks off, the best player's play.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I simply wanted to know what the knock was on Houston and why he went UDFA to begin with. How Wozzy described him it didn't sound like a UDFA player, it made him sound like a day 2 type of pick, so I was looking to see why he went UDFA before going gaga over him.

The point in the end boils down to there is a reason players go UDFA and for the most part finding a top end UDFA player is like finding a needle in the haystack. Yes it happens but not to the extent some around here make it out to be. So before I proclaim him the next Dillon I'm interested in hearing why we got him as a UDFA and why 256 players went before him.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

So, are you saying the draft and whether or not you were drafted is what determines if a guy is a good or bad player? 

May 12, 2014 -" In 2013, 31 percent of all players on NFL rosters went undrafted. Fifteen Pro Football Hall of Famers did not hear their names called in the draft."