Jamele Hill = Racist

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: Jamele Hill = Racist

In Response to Re: Jamele Hill = Racist:
    In Response to Re: Jamele Hill = Racist : Because I am a football fan and know the business is about winning and money. That's why. She plays the readers/fans off as fools.
    Posted by BBReigns

I still don't understand why one is offended by this article.

If the identical article is written by a white person - it's still the same thing - just a lousy article.

Others have characterized the type of article to be "yellow" journalism. If this is true - and it's merely in there to sell newspapers - then  she basically just did her job; regardless of her color. And, since she was just doing the job  - then that makes her "racist"?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

As an African American I might as well chime in on this. The media pushes racism as part of a political agenda. They create racism where it is "not" and ignore it where it actually exists. Although I am Black I am discrimintated against by Black people because I happen to be a conservative which is something frowned upon by Black community. I can honestly say I have been called an Uncle Tom many more times in my life than I have been called the N-Word. In fact I can count the number of times someone has called me the N-word on one hand and I can't even calculate how many times someone has called me an oreo or a sell out because I wanted to make something out of my life and didn't want to use race as an excuse. My conclusion: Racism in the 21st century and in this country is a lie that is used further political aganda's and seldom  is as just as the people that push it claim to be. There is also big money in racism if you know how to use it. As far as Jamele Hill goes I wouldn't let it bother you. Some people have fallen into the trap of making up excuses as to why life isn't fair rather than just accepting the fact that life has never been fair and never will be.
    Posted by Rerun85

Right on Brotha.  Anyway what the heck is wrong with oreos?  And I love Uncle Tom's Log cabin.  I love lincoln logs and Aunt Jamima Syrup.  Must be something wrong with me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

The KKK is racist the NFL is not see a difference? She is just trying to make money that is it. There is no race issue. Like i said if she was for real about this she would be upset every time a black man lost his job to a white man not just QB's. If a black head coach gets fired like say Romeo did with the Browns where is she then? A O linemen gets beat out by a white rookie where is she then? No where thats where cause there is no money in it. But trying to play the race card for QB's? Well that is her money shot (pun intended) Again the KKK is racist, the NFL is not. When the NFL start to burn crosses on a black mans front porch let me know. Also they let the POS Mike Vick back in the league, if the league is so racist wouldnt they have banned him?
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

How do you know the NFL isn't racist? There's a whole lot more to racism than the public burning of a cross. I would imagine that racism exists in the NFL much like it exists in many organizations, big and small, private or public, for profit or non-profit.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"This started out as a discussion of racism, perceived or real, and then morphed into a discussion of slavery and oppression, and has now gone down a road that, in my opinion, doesn't merit further response, except to say that it's clear that anonymity empowers people to say things that they wouldn't otherwise."
         ~BrooklineRob

First this merits another reading, perhaps even a third or fourth reading, by some...
    And in ALL respects, IF I indeed am understanding Encinitas correctly here, This sentiment relates to the previous one:

"The tragedy is blacks fought hard to get equal opportunity and to be judged by their character instead of skin color, yet too many modern advocates demand equal outcome and for all to be constantly aware of skin color."
         ~Encinitas

And imo, here's how...
    This is not about White Americans needing to pay reparations to, Or even having any guilt because, Some Black American's great-great Grandparents were enslaved by another White American 150 or more, years ago...  We should neither forget, but we shouldn't make forgettable excuses for nothing which occured to single individual Right Now.  It becomes a debased form of rationale and belief on both sides of the racial topic, When someone assumes that because in 1300 bc, The Sumerians assimilated and enslaved The Assyrians, I can Either: Excuse, Blame, OR Ridicule AS an excuse-ANY person's current actions or predicament...

But see, Here's the rub...  In NOT finding neither TOTAL excuses for the current ill-acts of some, OR in finding TOTAL blame & culpability for the same ill-acts of the same people, There is an awful, and a grey, and a cloudy, Simple & Neccessary recognizing which needs to be met...  It lies here, and I'll attempt to simplify: 
         ASK Yourself now,
    "Do I believe that MY own experiences as a typical White Male growing up in a safe, small town in Suburbia (IF this is indeed the case), FULLY translates in terms of simply having the exact same number and degree of opportunities As Every Single Other American has had?"
         NEXT, follow through with this reasoning 1 step further, by pondering to Yourself,
    "Are there STILL, certain Racial Groups of Americans, in a greater degree, Getting less opportunities as some other groups of Individuals?  Can I MYSELF, having trully ZERO Experience growing up as a malleable and still learning child & adolescent, KNOW with total certainty, That I would have turned out with the same degree & form of success, in any way, no matter how small, and in every form, IF:  I, as that child, was brought through and lived in a world with: Far Greater Crime, Gangs, & Violence; Far Greater accescibility to Drugs, Alcohol, and Substance use; Far LESSER job & employment opportunities; Far Lesser recreational & physically worse living conditions; Far Lesser & less skilled, and less caring-Practioners of education, Practitioners of mental or physical health, and much more underfunded total assets towards these people & places?"

"Do I honestly and TRULLY know for certain, that I would have had the neccessary strength & learned knowledge & moral fortitude, IF the Great Many persons, places, and/or things I experienced from Day #1 in life, were altogether worse...?"  

"So, Would I have been the exact same person that I am right now?"  

And this is not an excuse,
    This is not an excuse,
    this is not an excuse....here, at least.

~It's a simple & very real RECOGNITION, That many people had to endure greater forms and greater numbers of trials & tribulations, In order to get to the exact same spot that I'm in, And that STILL in many instances, A great number of them are of a different racial group as I...  Do they need to be TWICE as good and TWICE as skilled as me, for the same amount of recognition or simple, 'Thanx'?  No...Yet, I HAVE to recognize and fully appreciate, that in MANY Instances, they personally, Have travelled further than I have...  The rules don't have to change, and shouldn't change, Once they get here...BUT some of them STILL need to change, so they CAN get here.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to Re: Jamele Hill = Racist : Racism is much more complicated than black or white, granted.  So you're telling me that since it's bigger than just black or white my opinions as a black man are not valid?  You're the one asking about the race of posters.  If you think getting ahead these days isn't about your abilty to produce and do your job, then maybe you work in one of those vestigial job sectors that actually have quotas or affirmative action policies.  Tell my boss that he should hire a minority and he'd tell you that if he's the most qualified he gets the job, which is just what I want to hear.    
    Posted by BrooklineRob

Hell no. I didn't say that at all. I asked about the race of the posters who object to the article because it is a significant  factor when it comes to their perspective on racism - there are numerous other factors that are significant as well.. I asked if these  posters have experienced discrimination based on their race. I am betting that if they are caucasion and were born in the united states that odds are - that most (not all) have not experienced discrimination while living in this country. The point is that one's life experiences will likely form one's viewpoints on racism (much like they would affect one's viewpoint on religion or abortion).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Ahem.  Trying to get back on point.

For me, the funniest line was when she accuses the Radiers of being impatient with Campbell.   Look up "Impatience" in the dictionary and you see a picture of Al Davis.   How many coaches has he fired in the last 10 years?

Hysterical.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Racism is something this world will never be lacking.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Jamele Hill = Racist : Dessalines,  I don't agree with your assessment, but I appreciate the response. 
    Posted by paob

Unfortunately, socio-economic factors weigh into the topic of racism.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Racism is something this world will never be lacking.
    Posted by patsfaninpa420

True, but I guess we can all dream about a utopia without it....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

As an African American I might as well chime in on this. The media pushes racism as part of a political agenda. They create racism where it is "not" and ignore it where it actually exists. Although I am Black I am discrimintated against by Black people because I happen to be a conservative which is something frowned upon by Black community. I can honestly say I have been called an Uncle Tom many more times in my life than I have been called the N-Word. In fact I can count the number of times someone has called me the N-word on one hand and I can't even calculate how many times someone has called me an oreo or a sell out because I wanted to make something out of my life and didn't want to use race as an excuse. My conclusion: Racism in the 21st century and in this country is a lie that is used further political aganda's and seldom  is as just as the people that push it claim to be. There is also big money in racism if you know how to use it. As far as Jamele Hill goes I wouldn't let it bother you. Some people have fallen into the trap of making up excuses as to why life isn't fair rather than just accepting the fact that life has never been fair and never will be.
    Posted by Rerun85

I'm not sure if you can really say you were discriminated against by black people   because of your conservative views - people gave you alot of grief for it, but what did they actually take away from you from their position of power?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

That's right people, hide your baby's cause here comes the big bad left side to KILL YOUR BABY'S! lock the doors and hide your cribs cause liberals are coming to town! What a f*cking moron. And words truth and Fox news dont belong in the same sentence. Now go watch Sarah Pailins new TV show before your heads explodes. And by the way I will personally kill your baby if you like that sort of thing i mean since anyone thats not a right wing D bag kills baby's according to you. Oh and by the way last time I checked any person right side or left side that kills a baby goes to jail for murder....oh thats right you are claiming that abortion is murder right? So call the cops and see what they say? This is why this kind of thread is bad news. We talk football and I most likely think your a good guy but you bring god, race, or politics into it and all of a sudden you are a close minded D bag. Have a happy thanksgiving.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

The fact remains that chopping up unborn babies who have brains, hearts and souls is a disgusting form of murderous birth control.  The procedure was perfected by Nazis and planned parenthood was founded by a Nazi (Margaret Sanger) who wished to "Abort" undesireable fetuses.

Adolf  Hitler - Dictator  of  Nazi  Germany  "The  demand  that  defective  people  be prevented  from  propagating  equally  defective  offspring. . .  represents  the  most humane  act  of  mankind."  Mein  Kampf,  vol. 1,  ch. 10

Margaret  Sanger - Founder  of   Planned  Parenthood  ". . .we  prefer  the  policy  of  immediate  sterilizarion,   of   making   sure  that  parenthood  is   ' absolutely   prohibed '   to   the   feeble-minded."   The  Pivot  of  Civilization

Most  people  today  think  that  Planned  Parenthood  and  Nazi  Germany  have  little   in  common.     Their  histories   show   otherwise.     Margaret  Sanger,   the  founder   of   Planned   Parenthood,   subscribe to  a  Hitlerian   philosophy   of  Eugenics - the  science  of   improving   "racial  health"   by  socially  engineering human  reproduction.     Both  Hitler  and  the   founders  of  Planned   Parenthood   advocate   birth  control,  sterilization,  and  segregation  in  concentration  camps  for  the   "unfit."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

" This started out as a discussion of racism, perceived or real, and then morphed into a discussion of slavery and oppression, and has now gone down a road that, in my opinion, doesn't merit further response, except to say that it's clear that anonymity empowers people to say things that they wouldn't otherwise ."      ~BrooklineRob First this merits another reading, perhaps even a third or fourth reading, by some ... And in ALL respects, IF I indeed am understanding Encinitas correctly here, This sentiment relates to the previous one: " The tragedy is blacks fought hard to get equal opportunity and to be judged by their character instead of skin color, yet too many modern advocates demand equal outcome and for all to be constantly aware of skin color ."      ~Encinitas And imo, here's how... This is not about White Americans needing to pay reparations to, Or even having any guilt because, Some Black American's great-great Grandparents were enslaved by another White American 150 or more, years ago...  We should neither forget, but we shouldn't make forgettable excuses for nothing which occured to single individual Right Now.  It becomes a debased form of rationale and belief on both sides of the racial topic, When someone assumes that because in 1300 bc, The Sumerians assimilated and enslaved The Assyrians, I can Either: Excuse, Blame, OR Ridicule AS an excuse-ANY person's current actions or predicament... But see, Here's the rub...  In NOT finding neither TOTAL excuses for the current ill-acts of some, OR in finding TOTAL blame & culpability for the same ill-acts of the same people, There is an awful, and a grey, and a cloudy, Simple & Neccessary recognizing which needs to be met...  It lies here, and I'll attempt to simplify:       ASK Yourself now, " Do I believe that MY own experiences as a typical White Male growing up in a safe, small town in Suburbia (IF this is indeed the case), FULLY translates in terms of simply having the exact same number and degree of opportunities As Every Single Other American has had ?"      NEXT, follow through with this reasoning 1 step further, by pondering to Yourself, " Are there STILL, certain Racial Groups of Americans, in a greater degree, Getting less opportunities as some other groups of Individuals?  Can I MYSELF, having trully ZERO Experience growing up as a malleable and still learning child & adolescent, KNOW with total certainty, That I would have turned out with the same degree & form of success, in any way, no matter how small, and in every form, IF:  I, as that child, was brought through and lived in a world with: Far Greater Crime, Gangs, & Violence; Far Greater accescibility to Drugs, Alcohol, and Substance use; Far LESSER job & employment opportunities; Far Lesser recreational & physically worse living conditions; Far Lesser & less skilled, and less caring-Practioners of education, Practitioners of mental or physical health, and much more underfunded total assets towards these people & places ?" " Do I honestly and TRULLY know for certain, that I would have had the neccessary strength & learned knowledge & moral fortitude, IF the Great Many persons, places, and/or things I experienced from Day #1 in life, were altogether worse ...?"   " So, Would I have been the exact same person that I am right now ?"          And this is not an excuse, This is not an excuse, this is not an excuse....here, at least. ~ It's a simple & very real RECOGNITION, That many people had to endure greater forms and greater numbers of trials & tribulations, In order to get to the exact same spot that I'm in, And that STILL in many instances, A great number of them are of a different racial group as I...  Do they need to be TWICE as good and TWICE as skilled as me, for the same amount of recognition or simple, 'Thanx'?  No...Yet, I HAVE to recognize and fully appreciate, that in MANY Instances, they personally, Have travelled further than I have...  The rules don't have to change, and shouldn't change, Once they get here...BUT some of them STILL need to change, so they CAN get here.   
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

Laz, good questions. It's been a while since I read thru an entire post of yours :)Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

In Response to Re: Jamele Hill = Racist : Hell no. I didn't say that at all. I asked about the race of the posters who object to the article because it is a significant  factor when it comes to their perspective on racism - there are numerous other factors that are significant as well.. I asked if these  posters have experienced discrimination based on their race. I am betting that if they are caucasion and were born in the united states that odds are - that most (not all) have not experienced discrimination while living in this country. The point is that one's life experiences will likely form one's viewpoints on racism (much like they would affect one's viewpoint on religion or abortion).
    Posted by anonymis

You don't have to ask our races.  If we are black we will say we are black.  If we are white we don't bother with that junk.  Much like heterosexuals don't feel the need to announce their sexuality to everyone.  I can't remember getting a job and telling people what my favorite position is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DynastyXXXVI. Show DynastyXXXVI's posts

In Response to Re: Jamele Hill = Racist : That's embarrassing.  Do you still listen to that show?
    Posted by BBReigns

Yeah. They're the only sports show on in the afternoons while I'm commuting to work. And like I said, they're pretty entertaining from time to time. But then they do what they call the "entertainment report" which is basically when they stop talking about football and spend 20 minutes talking about T.I., Kanye, and Lil Wayne. At that point, I usually turn the radio off.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Jamele Hill = Racist : IF you study human biodiversity you are 100 percent right and 100 percent politically incorrect.
    Posted by whitetrashgang

Maybe political correctness is overrated?Laughing

I hate when we give awards to children when they don't deserve it.....lol.

I love Carlos Mencia cuz he makes fun of everyone equally.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Wow.  I was wondering how this thread got nearly 200 comments.  Jeez.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Hi.  What's happenin' guys?  Did I miss anything?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

" This started out as a discussion of racism, perceived or real, and then morphed into a discussion of slavery and oppression, and has now gone down a road that, in my opinion, doesn't merit further response, except to say that it's clear that anonymity empowers people to say things that they wouldn't otherwise ."      ~BrooklineRob First this merits another reading, perhaps even a third or fourth reading, by some ... And in ALL respects, IF I indeed am understanding Encinitas correctly here, This sentiment relates to the previous one: " The tragedy is blacks fought hard to get equal opportunity and to be judged by their character instead of skin color, yet too many modern advocates demand equal outcome and for all to be constantly aware of skin color ."      ~Encinitas And imo, here's how... This is not about White Americans needing to pay reparations to, Or even having any guilt because, Some Black American's great-great Grandparents were enslaved by another White American 150 or more, years ago...  We should neither forget, but we shouldn't make forgettable excuses for nothing which occured to single individual Right Now.  It becomes a debased form of rationale and belief on both sides of the racial topic, When someone assumes that because in 1300 bc, The Sumerians assimilated and enslaved The Assyrians, I can Either: Excuse, Blame, OR Ridicule AS an excuse-ANY person's current actions or predicament... But see, Here's the rub...  In NOT finding neither TOTAL excuses for the current ill-acts of some, OR in finding TOTAL blame & culpability for the same ill-acts of the same people, There is an awful, and a grey, and a cloudy, Simple & Neccessary recognizing which needs to be met...  It lies here, and I'll attempt to simplify:       ASK Yourself now, " Do I believe that MY own experiences as a typical White Male growing up in a safe, small town in Suburbia (IF this is indeed the case), FULLY translates in terms of simply having the exact same number and degree of opportunities As Every Single Other American has had ?"      NEXT, follow through with this reasoning 1 step further, by pondering to Yourself, " Are there STILL, certain Racial Groups of Americans, in a greater degree, Getting less opportunities as some other groups of Individuals?  Can I MYSELF, having trully ZERO Experience growing up as a malleable and still learning child & adolescent, KNOW with total certainty, That I would have turned out with the same degree & form of success, in any way, no matter how small, and in every form, IF:  I, as that child, was brought through and lived in a world with: Far Greater Crime, Gangs, & Violence; Far Greater accescibility to Drugs, Alcohol, and Substance use; Far LESSER job & employment opportunities; Far Lesser recreational & physically worse living conditions; Far Lesser & less skilled, and less caring-Practioners of education, Practitioners of mental or physical health, and much more underfunded total assets towards these people & places ?" " Do I honestly and TRULLY know for certain, that I would have had the neccessary strength & learned knowledge & moral fortitude, IF the Great Many persons, places, and/or things I experienced from Day #1 in life, were altogether worse ...?"   " So, Would I have been the exact same person that I am right now ?"          And this is not an excuse, This is not an excuse, this is not an excuse....here, at least. ~ It's a simple & very real RECOGNITION, That many people had to endure greater forms and greater numbers of trials & tribulations, In order to get to the exact same spot that I'm in, And that STILL in many instances, A great number of them are of a different racial group as I...  Do they need to be TWICE as good and TWICE as skilled as me, for the same amount of recognition or simple, 'Thanx'?  No...Yet, I HAVE to recognize and fully appreciate, that in MANY Instances, they personally, Have travelled further than I have...  The rules don't have to change, and shouldn't change, Once they get here...BUT some of them STILL need to change, so they CAN get here.   
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

Laz,

It's a bummer a bunch of people were herded into the big city slums by the social welfare system.  You should know however that per capita much more money is spent on inner city school children then kids going to school out in the farmlands.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

In Response to Re: Jamele Hill = Racist : Laz, It's a bummer a bunch of people were herded into the big city slums by the social welfare system.  You should know however that per capita much more money is spent on inner city school children then kids going to school out in the farmlands.
    Posted by knightsailor

The amount of money spent on kids is nearly irrelevant.  The most important factor is the peers they study with.  Second is the involvement of their parents (yes that's plural).  Third is the quality of the teacher.  The amount spent has very little correlation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to Re: Jamele Hill = Racist : The amount of money spent on kids is nearly irrelevant.  The most important factor is the peers they study with.  Second is the involvement of their parents (yes that's plural).  Third is the quality of the teacher.  The amount spent has very little correlation.
    Posted by knightsailor

I sorta disagree...it's still about the money.  It varies from state to state, but most money that goes into a school is based on property taxes for that locale - so, the more expensive the houses are in a district, the more money that goes to that local school. The more money that goes to that school, they have a better chance to attract the "best" teachers. In addition, there's probably a strong correlation between the cost of a home and the educational background of the owner...which leads to the involvement of the parents towards their respective childrens' education.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

In Response to Re: Jamele Hill = Racist : I sorta disagree...it's still about the money.  It varies from state to state, but most money that goes into a school is based on property taxes for that locale - so, the more expensive the houses are in a district, the more money that goes to that local school. The more money that goes to that school, they have a better chance to attract the "best" teachers. In addition, there's probably a strong correlation between the cost of a home and the educational background of the owner...which leads to the involvement of the parents towards their respective childrens' education.
    Posted by anonymis

I beg to differ.  The federal money being pumped into inner city schools has nothing to do with property taxes.  Property taxes are local and make up some of the budget, but frankly out in the burbs and in the farmland it just costs less.  The inner city schools seem to crumble by the minute from misuse.  Other places the schools last for decades.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Personally, I think Hill raises an interesting question.  I'm not sure I believe that racism is really involved in these black QB benchings (there are a lot of other factors at work too), but I wouldn't totally dismiss the possibility that even coaches who really don't want to be racist have some subconcious doubts about black QB's being able to perform based on "old tapes" about blacks not being fit for the role.  Sometimes subconscious perceptions affect the way we think and act even if consciously we believe something else. 

Reading some of the posts here makes me think that Hill actually does a service asking the question.  Blacks weren't allowed to vote in many places in this country when I was a child.  Racism was alive and kicking well into the 1970s and still lives on in corners of our nation today (for evidence, see certain posters above--I won't call out their names--we all know who they are).  Even those of us who don't want to be racist (and that includes most, if not all, NFL coaches) need to stay vigilant that old stereotypes aren't influencing us even as we consciously reject them and even are replused by them. 

BrookineRob says some good things--but Rob, I bet you wouldn't have to do what you do with young black kids if racism wasn't still at least a subliminal factor in our society today, would you?  And you certainly wouldn't have to argue with people like [I'll leave names out--again we know who they are] who say all sorts of scientifically unproven things about the genetics of black people and how those genetics predispose blacks to certain talents and limitations (despite the extraordinary diversity of African genomes, by the way--Africans are far more genetically diverse than people from any other continent, which means stereotypes about their genetic disposition are almost certainly unsupportable). 
    So, yes, this whole thread seems to prove that there is indeed still some vestige of anti-black racism alive today, even if (for the most part) it is only subliminal and even seen as repulsive and wrong. Of course, the amount of protest when some black person suggests racism still exists (despite it clearly existing just 40 years ago) makes me think that many whites doth protest just a little too much . . .

And for the record, I'm white and my ancestors were slave owners.  I even have the photographs of them and their slaves. In fact, I have a picture of my father with one of his great grandfather's ex slaves.

So slavery wasn't that far off.  My father (who's still very much alive) actually knew some of his family's (my own family's) ex slaves.

The history is way more recent than we think.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Posted by Rerun85

Very well said Rerun. Your post wins the thread.

In Response to Re: Jamele Hill = Racist : Hell no. I didn't say that at all. I asked about the race of the posters who object to the article because it is a significant  factor when it comes to their perspective on racism - there are numerous other factors that are significant as well.. I asked if these  posters have experienced discrimination based on their race. I am betting that if they are caucasion and were born in the united states that odds are - that most (not all) have not experienced discrimination while living in this country. The point is that one's life experiences will likely form one's viewpoints on racism (much like they would affect one's viewpoint on religion or abortion).
    Posted by anonymis

anonymis - to start I am white and have definitely had racism towards me and my family so I can say without a doubt that it exist on both sides. I have 2 stories so bear with me. When I first started going to college I couldn't afford the college housing (it was like $900 a month) so I got a place in Roxbury within a half mile walk to the T for much cheaper. The neighborhood was almost all black and it never really bothered me but everyday I walked by to get to school I would here all types of stuff and names being called my way by the younger black adults/teenagers. It's funny the older generation that actually went through the 50's and 60's all liked me esp since I helped out this one older lady with her trash and groceries every time I saw her. Well one day I came home from school and my car had a tire popped and keyed up and down, I was pissed. The guy who lived in the basement apt of my building (oddly enough a drug dealer, maybe why something was done?) was angry too saying I didn't deserve this and said he'd have some words and take care of it. After that day nothing happened. I always heard words mumbled under peoples breath but nothing happened. I moved out as soon as my lease was over to a mainly Brazilian community in Everett and haven't had a single issue since. Ok that was story one the second one happened to my sister. She was filling out college forms and accidentally checked off African American on a form. I know "accidentally" but trust me after filling out so many college forms in a row you are bound to make a stupid mistake. Well she got all excited because they informed her that she qualified for 3 additional scholarships. Now my families not rich so an extra 10k a year was huge for her. She went into the offices to sign off on the paper work and they stopped her and yelled at her for checking off African American and told her that those scholarships were being taken away and she would have to account for the mistake in checking the box. Funny thing is my Grandfather is 1/8 African America so I and her are 1/32 but that isn't enough to help someone out and give them a little extra help paying for an education apparently.

Now me and my sister might be the rarer exception but it isn't uncommon. Not only that but my family being almost pure Irish could actually trace our roots to being slaves for English nobles so I tend to get really pissed off at race baiters who say I will never understand because my family never had to deal with slavery. Frankly no one in my family owned slaves ever, my parents grew up in Roxbury, I grew up in Peabody and Danvers, we've never really been rich but my family made the best of the situation and even though we've been denied scholarships because of our race we still never cried foul and earned our degrees so that we could improve our lives and our children's lives. I have a black friend from Roxbury who went to college and earned his degree so that one day when he had kids they wouldn't have to live in Roxbury and get a leg up. Even he hates the damn race baiting and in his words, not mine (though I sure there will be some that won't believe me) "Sometimes racism and stereotypes exist for a reason. Even I get scared walking down the street and I pass by a bunch of rapper wanna be gangsta's. I don't feel that same fear when I just walk by a group of white kids"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Posted by anonymis

THis is just dumb.  I once made the mistake of stopping into a Red Lobster (yes, I know the place s*cks) in DC while driving through, desperate for something to eat.

I was with a couple of friends.

Everyone in there was black because apparently it was a black neighborhood.  Didn't faze us in terms of thinking much of it, but we got about a dozen holes each stared right through us, and what appeared to be very obvious and purposely bad service.

Needless to say, that was uncomfortable.

So, you can't just be that ignorant and pretend it on ly goes one way.

What planet do you live on?

And no, I am not comparing a blatant example of hatred over skin color in my direction to what minorities deal with more frequently.

It's amazing to read some people's deluded comments here.

Sections
Shortcuts