Jamie Collins is make me eat my words and other random thoughts...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Jamie Collins is make me eat my words and other random thoughts...

• Collins had a monster game vs Indy. PFF grade 7.4 (that's awesome). Graded positively in all 3 areas: pass rush, coverage, and run. I saw glimpses of his coverage ability late in the RS, but he wasn't on the field long enough to make an honest evaluation. That said, you don't have that kind of performance without talent. Barring injuries, Collins is in the starting lineup for good.
    • Chandler Jones still sucks. To illustrate my point, here are his stats vs Indy: Overall PFF Grade: -1.2. Pass Rush stats (PFF pass rush grade -1.5: 44 rushes 2 hits 4 hurries. To put that into perspective. Collins had a sack, 2 hits 2 hurries, IN 9 RUSHES!!! Despite getting plenty of sacks, Chandler has been mostly ineffective all season. I'm a 'Cuse fan an I've never been impressed by him. He always bull rushed his opponents and never did I see any spin moves, swim moves, etc. As I expected, that hasn't translated into NFL production.
    • Hightower, has been a model of productive consistency since Week 14. He's found his niche as a MLB. Since week 14, he hasn't has a PFF grade lower than 1.9. That's good. He still occasionally gets beat in coverage (what LB doesn't?), but has improved. His run D is great. His improvement, along with Collins emergence, makes the likely loss of Spikes tolerable.
    • Ninkovich has his worst game of the season. He was dominated by Cherilus. He'll need to do much better next week. That said, Nink is one of the best 4-3 DEs in the NFL.
    • Dennard was awesome. Yes he was beaten for a 38 yard TD, but here are his coverage stats vs Indy: Targets 10; Comp 2; YPA 5.4; INT 2; PD 2. It was by far, his best game of his career.
    • Mankins had his best game of the year. Pats RBs ran for 11 carries and 60 yards (5.5 YPC) for 2 TDs and one missed tackle, when running behind the LG. The sole missed tackle indicates that Mankins was getting the RBs through the gate for free.
    • He might not be the answer, but I wish stubborn Bill would start Harmon over Gregory. Gregory hasn't played well since Week 8. BB has nothing to lose at this point.
    • I expect the Broncos to put eight in the box and dare Brady to beat them. If that's the case and Brady struggles, he should consider retirement.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: Jamie Collins is make me eat my words and other random thoughts...

Your ignorance shows.  The talk on Jones is ludicrous.  Your past assessment of Collins in his rookie year was tasteless too.  But, thanks for manning up on it.  It's rare around here.

One thing on Jones.  He has to learn to turn those shoulders when he's being held.  It was painfully obvious but he continued straight on.  He does put pressure on the QB.  Lots of hurries.  But I think he could get to the QB more often or get that holding call if he were spinning more.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

Your ignorance shows.  The talk on Jones is ludicrous.  Your past assessment of Collins in his rookie year was tasteless too.  But, thanks for manning up on it.  It's rare around here.

One thing on Jones.  He has to learn to turn those shoulders when he's being held.  It was painfully obvious but he continued straight on.  He does put pressure on the QB.  Lots of hurries.  But I think he could get to the QB more often or get that holding call if he were spinning more.

Without reviewing any film, could it be that Jones was doing what the coaches wanted, that they didn't want him doing anything that would take him inside (spin moves, etc.) so as to keep Luck contained? Ordinarily Luck is good for two or three big runs per game and he didn't so any of that in this one. I think he had one short run for a first down, as far as I recall.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Without reviewing any film, could it be that Jones was doing what the coaches wanted, that they didn't want him doing anything that would take him inside (spin moves, etc.) so as to keep Luck contained? Ordinarily Luck is good for two or three big runs per game and he didn't so any of that in this one. I think he had one short run for a first down, as far as I recall.

[/QUOTE]

Turning your shoulders results in a loss of gap control. He gave up a huge run dipping his shoulders against the Panthers.

If he stays squared up, then the call isn't for pss rush, but he is setting an edge. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gogogopats. Show gogogopats's posts

In response to CubanPete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

• Collins had a monster game vs Indy. PFF grade 7.4 (that's awesome). Graded positively in all 3 areas: pass rush, coverage, and run. I saw glimpses of his coverage ability late in the RS, but he wasn't on the field long enough to make an honest evaluation. That said, you don't have that kind of performance without talent. Barring injuries, Collins is in the starting lineup for good.
    • Chandler Jones still sucks. To illustrate my point, here are his stats vs Indy: Overall PFF Grade: -1.2. Pass Rush stats (PFF pass rush grade -1.5: 44 rushes 2 hits 4 hurries. To put that into perspective. Collins had a sack, 2 hits 2 hurries, IN 9 RUSHES!!! Despite getting plenty of sacks, Chandler has been mostly ineffective all season. I'm a 'Cuse fan an I've never been impressed by him. He always bull rushed his opponents and never did I see any spin moves, swim moves, etc. As I expected, that hasn't translated into NFL production.
    • Hightower, has been a model of productive consistency since Week 14. He's found his niche as a MLB. Since week 14, he hasn't has a PFF grade lower than 1.9. That's good. He still occasionally gets beat in coverage (what LB doesn't?), but has improved. His run D is great. His improvement, along with Collins emergence, makes the likely loss of Spikes tolerable.
    • Ninkovich has his worst game of the season. He was dominated by Cherilus. He'll need to do much better next week. That said, Nink is one of the best 4-3 DEs in the NFL.
    • Dennard was awesome. Yes he was beaten for a 38 yard TD, but here are his coverage stats vs Indy: Targets 10; Comp 2; YPA 5.4; INT 2; PD 2. It was by far, his best game of his career.
    • Mankins had his best game of the year. Pats RBs ran for 11 carries and 60 yards (5.5 YPC) for 2 TDs and one missed tackle, when running behind the LG. The sole missed tackle indicates that Mankins was getting the RBs through the gate for free.
    • He might not be the answer, but I wish stubborn Bill would start Harmon over Gregory. Gregory hasn't played well since Week 8. BB has nothing to lose at this point.
    • I expect the Broncos to put eight in the box and dare Brady to beat them. If that's the case and Brady struggles, he should consider retirement.

[/QUOTE]

I think this deserves a C'MON MAN!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Guess you want to eat crow again for disrespecting Jones.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

no disrespect to Jones, but he needs some new tricks now that he is going to be part of the opponants game plan. he cannot simply get by with ability and athleticism, he needs to take that next step. this is his 2nd year, hopefully we see that next step next year.  thats not criticism, thats fact. very hard worker, very smart worker, he should be able to master some rush moves and debut them in his 3rd year.

I dont agree with the Nink comments. I thought the Dline was great in stopping the run, and they were getting to Luck with frequency. Other than Ben, does any other QB in the NFL make those pressure, contact throws?

Dennard-agree. He played a great game

Mankins-agree. He played a great game.

Harmon-I dont think the time to change is the AFCCCG. But next year, I expect to see Gregory at the 3rd S position at a lower salary

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Baffle. Show Baffle's posts

Curious if there are metrics around how many double teams Jones draws? His performance may dip, but that opens things up for the other defensive players to make a play. That should not be discounted...

Do what's best for the team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

no disrespect to Jones, but he needs some new tricks now that he is going to be part of the opponants game plan. he cannot simply get by with ability and athleticism, he needs to take that next step. this is his 2nd year, hopefully we see that next step next year.  thats not criticism, thats fact. very hard worker, very smart worker, he should be able to master some rush moves and debut them in his 3rd year.

I dont agree with the Nink comments. I thought the Dline was great in stopping the run, and they were getting to Luck with frequency. Other than Ben, does any other QB in the NFL make those pressure, contact throws?

Harmon-I dont think the time to change is the AFCCCG. But next year, I expect to see Gregory at the 3rd S position at a lower salary

[/QUOTE]

Gregory saves you 3 million if you cut him. Why keep a Safety that's not good enough to play ST?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I thought Nink played a very good game, I thought contain was on his mind...he kind of leaned on that outside shoulder of the tackle until he absolutely knew Luck was going to throw and then he just ripped off him and got some decent pressure I thought. I thought he played low with good power against a guy that is 5 inches taller than him and out weighs him by 100 pounds. He made a real nice tackle outside, 15 yards down the field in space during the 2nd half...curled right back into the guy and wrapped him up.

I thought Jones was held a lot, but he bull rushed the entire game...I've never seen him do it that much and I've never seen him not use his arms to keep the tackle off of him like that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I've always been big on logical reasoning.  I think you nailed it.  Next.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gregory saves you 3 million if you cut him. Why keep a Safety that's not good enough to play ST?

[/QUOTE]

because at the right price, Gergory is better as the 3rd S than anyone currently on the roster (TWilson/Ebner) and betyter than anyone that has to come in and learn the system.

there is no reason that Gregory cannot play ST. He can also play both S positions, and knows the defense inside and out. He can and will QB the back 4 in McCourtys abscence. Simpl;y put, Gregory has physical limitations to play the position, but has the smarts that BB loves

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

because at the right price, Gergory is better as the 3rd S than anyone currently on the roster (TWilson/Ebner) and betyter than anyone that has to come in and learn the system.

there is no reason that Gregory cannot play ST. He can also play both S positions, and knows the defense inside and out. He can and will QB the back 4 in McCourtys abscence. Simpl;y put, Gregory has physical limitations to play the position, but has the smarts that BB loves

[/QUOTE]

I still say you cut him. Adrian Wilson is there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

actually I cant really disagree with much here. Unlike you, Ive always seen Collins as a good pick and was wondering why it took so long to crack the lineup. The game in which we lost to Carolina, I thought not playing Collins was the reason we lost as Hightower struggled that game. I have seen Hightower play much better vs the run lately. He is attacking and not waiting to get blocked like earlier. As much as it pains me to say, C.J. has been a dissapointment in the 2nd half of the season 2 years now.  KNOW they want pressure from him because after his last sack Matty P was IN HIS GRILL like "THATS WHAT WE WANT" so please guys dont tell me about containment and all that, HE rushes EVERY play. He needs to step up and earn that 1st round selection. Ditto on Harmon. Gregory has been a non factor since his injury.

Not many here will like this post, esp. who its coming from but unfortunately its mostly all true.  I dont need any stats to tell me that so I am not agreeing with PFW, rather Im agreeing with the O.P.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He DID duck inside once and lost contain on the QB. Thats not a big deal to me but his lack of production in 2 straight 2nd half seasons IS. Injury or not. Time to let Buchanan spell him so he has something  in the 4th. Whats to lose since they both are undiscplined in containment?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I still say you cut him. Adrian Wilson is there.

[/QUOTE]

Ur kidding right?  You believed he was hurt?  The guy is done! he will come back in camp and quietly released.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Belichick had some pretty high praise for Collins an hour ago on the radio...he said he was explosive, powerful, smart, fast, long...he said Collins can play on the line, behind the line, in space, in coverage by himself, on special teams, in blitz, take on block, tackle. He said the kid can do everything and he LOVES having him on the team. Anyone ever hear him say something like that about a rookie? Heck, anyone ever hear him say something like that about anyone on our team, aside from Brady? I haven't.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gregory is the least talented starting player in the secondary. He has smarts and doesn't make the big mistakes in coverage, but physically just isn't up to most challenges. We will need an upgrade soon. They can do better and will. His time is getting very very short here. "Barely adequate" describes him, "solid" overrates him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Belichick had some pretty high praise for Collins an hour ago on the radio...he said he was explosive, powerful, smart, fast, long...he said Collins can play on the line, behind the line, in space, in coverage by himself, on special teams, in blitz, take on block, tackle. He said the kid can do everything and he LOVES having him on the team. Anyone ever hear him say something like that about a rookie? Heck, anyone ever hear him say something like that about anyone on our team, aside from Brady? I haven't.

[/QUOTE]

Just heard that.  He was very complementary and went on forever.  Talked about his teams losing season but was really impressed with his versatility and thought it might have hurt him in the draft because nobody knew where to play him.

Did you hear what he said about running the ball?  THE BW's will cry again.

"no body wants to be calling run plays when they're picking up a yard or two.  You might as well call a QB sneak"  LOL

Basically he said, it depends on game situation.   Weather was a factor, more so @the Bills.

If you're ahead by 14 you are going to be more balanced, as apposed to being 14 points behind.  Again that 4th quarter thing.

If you can run great. If you can pass great.  It all comes down to execution and scoring points.  That is all.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just heard that.  He was very complementary and went on forever.  Talked about his teams losing season but was really impressed with his versatility and thought it might have hurt him in the draft because nobody knew where to play him.

"no body wants to be calling run plays when they're picking up a yard or two.  You might as well call a QB sneak"  LOL

Basically he said, it depends on game situation.   Weather was a factor, more so @the Bills.

If you're ahead by 14 you are going to be more balanced, as apposed to being 14 points behind.  Again that 4th quarter thing.

If you can run great. If you can pass great.  It all comes down to execution and scoring points.  That is all.

[/QUOTE]

Collins will be a superstar and team captain one day not too far off. His atheltic skill and instincts are special. Dude is a born football player...a natural. Stays healthy and he will be THE GUY. I love him.....always have.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why do you even bother? Give it up...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Collins will be a superstar and team captain one day not too far off. His atheltic skill and instincts are special. Dude is a born football player...a natural. Stays healthy and he will be THE GUY. I love him.....always have.

[/QUOTE]

You have always loved him? All these many years months games? Sorry. You may have been one of us who liked him from the start of his career.... THIS YEAR. When you say "always" it just seems a little odd.... like hearing a song for the second time and saying.. you know.. I've always liked that song.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

You have always loved him? All these many years months games? Sorry. You may have been one of us who liked him from the start of his career.... THIS YEAR. When you say "always" it just seems a little odd.... like hearing a song for the second time and saying.. you know.. I've always liked that song.

"Always" as in the first time I saw him play at Southern Miss, as in the first time I hear a 6'3" 230lb, now 250+ LB was jumping 40+ inches in high school. Always as in the first time I posted as such back in August of this year before you probably knew he was on the team. Always as in before you knew he would be doing this when I said so RIGHT HERE before he played his first real down on the team. Look it up! Its still here, somewhere.........ALWAYS 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to portfolio1's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"Always" as in the first time I saw him play at Southern Miss, as in the first time I hear a 6'3" 230lb, now 250+ LB was jumping 40+ inches in high school. Always as in the first time I posted as such back in August of this year before you probably knew he was on the team. Always as in before you knew he would be doing this when I said so RIGHT HERE before he played his first real down on the team. ALWAYS 

[/QUOTE]

Dont get your panties in a tizzy. I was there at training camp too. I was there before the draft... and during and after... 

The point is not that you didnt like him from the start... the point is when you use the word ALWAYS it should actually have some reference to protracted time; not like LAST AUGUST.

I dont doubt you liked him from the start.. but ALWAYS has no meaning when always was since August.

Sections
Shortcuts