Jamie Collins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Jamie Collins

The guy works for me. 

250 pounds but quick and fast.  Athletic.  Long gorilla arms.  Can rush the passer.  Can cover a big slot receiver.

Comes from a tiny losing school with a 0-12 record.  Other teams didn't give him the time of day.

Malcontent on that same team.  Isn't that what they said about Randy Moss in Oakland?  Isn't that what they said about Corey Dillon in Cincinnati?  Did his team go 0-12 because perhaps they had schmucks for coaches?  As a newspaper headline once actually proclaimed about fundraising for Temple University's Fuqua School of Economics, "Fuqua School Giving Up".

I'd rather see a guy that might be a diamond in the rough, like optimally a Gronk falling into the second round because of his weak back, or like a Hernandez falling into the fourth round because he got caught twice, than an average-good college player who will never be tremendous.  At least Collins has the size, the speed and the athleticism.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: Jamie Collins

he was also described as "low motor"....

Margus Hunt was picked by the Bengals right after Collins. Hunt was a project for sure, but, I think he might have had an impact where we need the most help.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kylerocks. Show kylerocks's posts

JC: I think I’m pretty good. I don’t like to brag; I just like to show and go out and prove.

I think I like this quote the best from his interview.  He's talking about fishing but he's obviously an ultra competitive guy and those types do really well in the Patriots locker room, especially when they're athletic freaks.  I'm already liking Jamie "The Kingslayer" Collins.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

The guy had a 41 inch vertical on top of 6'3" with long arms - wonder if he might disrupt a few passing lanes?!

And Kiper had a 15 fringe 1st rounders column which included him as one of the five 'sleeper' picks. And at least one major publication had him in their mock draft being selected at #29, hmmmm, inside info?

He was graded anywhere from # 60 to late 3rd round.

And after he rocked the combine (and ran drills with both the LBs and the DEs) he generated a lot of interest and private workouts.

And on an 0-12 team one suspects he was the star defender so probably got more focus from the oppoenent than if he had played on a better team. He put up 20 tackles for loss and 10 sacks so not bad production. 

I like his versitility - played DB, LB and DE in college and some QB in HS. (He also played for three different coordinators in his four year college career.)

And given the expanded passing game, the expanded role of multiple tight ends/rbs, and the expanding use of read option, a FAST LB/DE who can play in space is something the Pats needed - not sure Fletcher fills the bill even if he is healthy.

So I am happy with this pick after doing some research. Doubt he would have lasted a whole lot longer as LBs were being snapped up. And I think he fills a need for the team.

A lot of the other players that fans were pining for with this pick lasted a lot longer and some are still available at the start of the 4th round tomorrow. I personally wanted Keenan Allen - but he lasted almost a whole other round (24 picks) so obviously there were some issues with Allen that I was unaware of.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

All the proof I need......

The Pats are turning back to the 3-4 D...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KWPatsFan. Show KWPatsFan's posts

The Low Motor, and takes plays off are concerning, let's assume Bill talked to him about these issues.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

His college teams offense stunk it up. The d was on the field a lot. Everyone on that d was probably winded. I don't think he suffers from lack of a motor or effort. I think he suffers from playing with a horrific offense that didn't give the d much rest. 20 tfl's , 10 sacks is not a lack of effort. What worries me most is where he played. never really faced a pro style offense less the 1 time he played Nebraska...and he disappeared that game. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

His college teams offense stunk it up. The d was on the field a lot. Everyone on that d was probably winded. I don't think he suffers from lack of a motor or effort. I think he suffers from playing with a horrific offense that didn't give the d much rest. 20 tfl's , 10 sacks is not a lack of effort. What worries me most is where he played. never really faced a pro style offense less the 1 time he played Nebraska...and he disappeared that game. 

Kide made a ton of plays behind the LOS for sure with 45 TFL and 20 or so sacks in his USM career I believe.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't know if I've ever seen a guy so quick twitch as a patriot linebacker, but this guy right now is a stick. I mean a popcicle stick. I can't see him doing anything more than rushing the passer on third downs for two years - and I'm fine with that if he's good at it. Pass rush is important and I think at some point last season we really needed someone opposite Jones to get after the quarterback, Jones really started drawing a lot of attention and to think this kid will probably see single blocking from a slower right tackle...reminds me of Mark Anderson a little, but shorter and even smaller.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I don't know if I've ever seen a guy so quick twitch as a patriot linebacker, but this guy right now is a stick. I mean a popcicle stick. I can't see him doing anything more than rushing the passer on third downs for two years - and I'm fine with that if he's good at it. Pass rush is important and I think at some point last season we really needed someone opposite Jones to get after the quarterback, Jones really started drawing a lot of attention and to think this kid will probably see single blocking from a slower right tackle...reminds me of Mark Anderson a little, but shorter and even smaller.

The analysts project him as a special team player.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to viewer222's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

The analysts project him as a special team player.

Like who?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

mthurl I am starting to think Rusty is right about you. you seem to never have anything positive to say!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

All mthurl's positives come with a four point "but".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

WELCOME TO NEW ENGLAND!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from braunzy. Show braunzy's posts

I'm excited for this Collins pick, apparently he can line up all over the field and will hopefully be great on 3rd down and will let Bill creativity shine.  I think he will be a very exciting player to watch develop and see BB's so called "defensive genius" come through.  

He has Von Miller like athleticism and versatility, I'm not saying he's going to be anywhere near that type of player, but I was salivating as to what BB could have done with a player with his type of ability, now we will hopefully get to see.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb24. Show isurfvb24's posts

best thing about this pick is he can be used in coverage. might be the best cover linebacker on the team, who is a pass rush threat. good pick imho.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Everyone is talking about his coverage, this kid is explosive and makes plays behind the line of scrimmage, he'll be a sack machine.  He plays every down, makes tackles, this was the best outside linebacker prospect on the board that wasn't a defensive end.  This kid is a major talent.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The idea the Patriots needed a coverage linebacker is bogus, we signed one in the offseason, his name is Adrian Wilson.  Also if we can sack people the need to cover shinks a lot.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Everyone is talking about his coverage, this kid is explosive and makes plays behind the line of scrimmage, he'll be a sack machine.  He plays every down, makes tackles, this was the best outside linebacker prospect on the board that wasn't a defensive end.  This kid is a major talent.

when's the last time the Patriots had a sack machine, the defensive scheme/system places constraints on individual stats.

But, I hope the Patriots loosen the reins a lot this year....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb24. Show isurfvb24's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

The idea the Patriots needed a coverage linebacker is bogus, we signed one in the offseason, his name is Adrian Wilson.  Also if we can sack people the need to cover shinks a lot.

that makes a team pretty one dimensional on defense if they are just going to use adrian wilson to cover tight ends and running backs whenever he is on the field, sure he is going to do that, and sure jamie collins will too, but to think they dont need a linebacker who can cover is whats bogus in my opinion.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

He immediately becomes the most athletic front 7 player on the Pats outside of Jones.  

Agreed

Sections
Shortcuts