1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: Jared Allen

In Response to Re: Jared Allen:
    Pats can't afford him... 
    Posted by 49Patriots

49, AH is Puertorican not Cuban.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

First, how could anyone say Stallworth was a bust...that worked out perfectly.

Second, I don't really think Ocho is a bust either. He was brought in to be a number 3 reciever on a team that consistantly uses two tight end sets. Was he supposed to have 10 TD receptions by now or something? Branch and Welker are the two guys who will be getting the plays...Ocho, while he used to be a star and is still a fun locker room personality, is toward the bottom of the active depth chart...he's been fine for that spot. Think of him as the Kevin Millar of the team...gives a bit here and there, but is very valuable as far as distracting the media and fans from any other problems. How many issues have you heard about anyone other than him? That fact alone means he's doing a good job.

As far as Allen...he's one of the best, has a great motor, and is a leader. This defense could use another leader with Mayo hurt and being such a young group.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

And 66...I'm sure you know that you don't have any defensive individual players on a fantasy team...just sayin. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

....Patsfansince1966 is the reason these boards have the "ignore" option.  I suggest you all point and click and be done with it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: Jared Allen : What does any of this matter? Have any of you not learned?  We ere clamoring for Ochostinko and the Pats got him.  How has THAT worked out? Oh, it hasn't. Of course, none of what I say considers the FACT that none of this has any bearing on reality. If any of you REALLY WANT Allen, put him on your fantasy teams.  Oh, btw, how did Allen do last night?  I know his team got smoked. And for anyone else that cares, even Al Michaels refered to Adrian Peterson as AP and NOT AD.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

what of what matter?  that I said Hernandez is Puertorican not Cuban?  For you to consider Chad a success what would he need to do?  Don't mean to divert from the Allen topic but what would chad need to do?  You do know there's only a # of possession in a game, if Chad puts up #s IMO would be bad then WW, Branch, Gronk, Hernandez and RBs are shutdown because they are ahead of him.  He wan't brought into a team who needed a #1 he was brought in to be a complement a situational player.  I don't think anyone thought Ocho would end up with 1,000 yards 10 TDs at least I didn't.

Formations and personal dictate other players making plays, when Chad is on the field he HAS to be accounted for by the D so WW instead of having 2 or 3 DBs on him he'll have a favorable match up.  The O is putting record type #s, WW is having his best year of his career, the young TEs are only getting better and Branch looks years younger not to mention and good running game.  So just because you bring 1 player in for a certain role you want him to be a #1 and ignore what the O as a whole has been doing?  "Child Please"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

In Response to Re: Jared Allen : You mean like I did with you?

Dude, I have absolutely nothing against you it's just that every thread I've read through in the past hour or so it's seems like your playing devil's advocate and just plain out annoying everyone.

Chillax bro, yesterday was a great win. I know it's Monday but at least we may get to the see the Jets complete implode tonight..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

In Response to Re: Jared Allen : I don't do fantasy football.  Just saying.  BTW, what's 9.5 sacks on a 1-5 team? While the Pats are at it, why not pick up McNabb too?  The Vikkings on't want him either: the Ponder era has begun!  I'm sure McNabb would go to New England cheap too. Good grief. Nine catches in six games ain't a bust?

9.5 sacks is 9.5 sacks no matter what team you're on. If anything it's more impressive on a 1-5 team because as one of the few productive people you get double teamed more often.
    As for that McNabb statement...really? you just sound silly there.
    (I agree Ponder is the future however, but obviously he's not ready since they put in Webb yesterday)

And no, 9 catches in six games isn't always a bust. It depends on the situation. It's not 2007 anymore. You have to look back to the SB winning teams with Patton, Givens, Brown et al. That's the style that their getting back to, and it's the style they always won with...you don't have to have a flashy offense for it to be a productive or high scoring one.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: Jared Allen : I would say that if two draft picks were given up for Ochostinko he should be averaging more than three catches every two games, especially given the fact that this is a passing league now. Wasn't Ron Sellers an AFL All Star with something like 29 catches in 1969?  Do, nine catches in six games would be good. Not anymore, Jose.

So who do you take the catches from?  Who gets less so Chad gets more?  Do you replace WW or Branch in 2TE 2 WR formation which is the main formation they are using through out the game?

Does he become the 1st read outside with a CB low and safety over top when WW or a TE is open in the middle?  I mean he's not andre johnson or Megatron but they also don't have all the weapons the pats do and working as well as they are.  Not saying I'm 100% with Chad's production but the TEAM remember that "team first" is one of the top 3 Os in the league.

So again, who do you take out so Chad can make you and others happy in NE?  Again, child please look at the whole picture, look at coverages when he's in the game.  Yes I was pist off when he dropped that pass but I believe you don't win or loss a game in one play, it was a big part of it but a 100 plays in a game there are other places that cost you a score/1st down ect.

Just saying, right now he's in a situation where the formations and game plan dictate for WW, Branch, Gronk and Herc to be the guys.  I gives a damn who's on the field because and catching the ball as long as they are winning.

As far as for the 2 draft picks, what were they?  Do they really hurt the team?  Can the Pats really not get away without a 5th rnd?  when you know with all the talent on the team ect those picks probably don't make the team.  Also with all the trading, BB can get a 5th rndr back on draft day fairly easily.

Enjoy the team wins man, don't let Ocho's lack of "production" get you all bent out of shape.  If he's a decoy then I'm happy he's not complaining about it.  Happy he's still motivated to learn from Brady and improve.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

jsp sorry for getting away from your allen, didn't want to jack up your thread.

I think Allen for the right price is worth a look but think the Pats don't need to give up much.  I like Carter and Anderson although if either get hurt I don't trust Ellis or Cunninham to bring any sort of speed off the edge.

So if Allen was cheap (won't be), I bring him in, release Ellis.  For that 290+ DE (Ellis role) you have Deadrick returning soon.  I see if for Allen MN would take Brace and a pick, highly unlikely but I throw that out there see what they say.  I don't think you can bring back both brace and deadrick.  So throw one of them out there as bait.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Guys/gals, forget it. I am pretty sure you can't take a paycut during the season, once your saalry is submitted on the books. He's too expensive.  End of story.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

I don't think he'd take a pay cut and he doesn't need to. His cap number is well below what the Pats currently have. If anything you can restructure his contract to give him more cash this season and less over the next couple of years. Every player will take more upfront so it is incentive for him to rework it for future years.

But again I just don't see it happening

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmadmax82. Show bmadmax82's posts

In Response to Re: Jared Allen : I don't think he'd take a pay cut and he doesn't need to. His cap number is well below what the Pats currently have. If anything you can restructure his contract to give him more cash this season and less over the next couple of years. Every player will take more upfront so it is incentive for him to rework it for future years. But again I just don't see it happening
    Posted by PatsEng

WHy would he take a paycut? He is performing at the highest level.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Russ and bma - Did I say a paycut? I said a restructure. A restructure isn't always a pay cut. It can be moving your current contract numbers around whether that means taking money from next year and moving into this year or taking remaining money from this year and moving it into guarantied money next year.

Either way the player gets money that will be guarantied either this year or next regardless if he gets cut in the offseason or not. That's why it's allowed and the union actually endorses those types of restructures during the season. Because, it guaranties part of their contract that wasn't previously guarantied.

What is so hard to understand about that. Ask any player if you can take their current contract and move 5 mil from next year into this year, essentially guarantying it, they would all do it. Hence why players prefer front loaded deals over back loaded deals. Since the Pats have plenty of cap space they have the flexibility to load up as much as they are allowed his money into this year drastically reducing his cap numbers in future years while giving him more money upfront which is something both sides would like without even changing the amount he receives over the course of the contract 1 dime

bma seriously, did you even read my post or just the first line?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: Jared Allen : 49, AH is Puertorican not Cuban.
    Posted by Pats7393

Well that sucks, no cool names for Puerto Ricans. Thanks for the heads up though. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Jared Allen : I agree, but that's also seen as a paycut.  NE could cut Allen next year, for example. These contracts aren't guaranteed, as you note.  So, if NE forced Allen to push out his money, that's not a good move for the player. Also, the Pats dont' have plenty of cap space. They leave a little wiggle room, always, but also need to pay put bonuses for certain players who have those in their deals. This is why the Jets are handcuffed and their fans remain clueless, when Revis is owed close to 8 million in bonuses.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Typically when a players money is pushed from this year into next the team guaranties the money that gets pushed from this year into next.

For example when Brady made room for Moss's contract in 07' parts of his contract were pushed from 07' to 08' but became guarantied. Or Sanchez this year did the same thing which is why his dead cap number goes up next year.

Regardless of if a player is cut or not the money that gets pushed from one year into the next is owed to them in the form of dead cap space.

But, in Allens case it would be the opposite. Since we have the cap space this year to lower his cap number in future years part of his salary can be moved into this years salary as a guarantied fund. It raises his cap number this year and increases his total pay for this season while lowering his salary in up and coming years. This helps reduce the burden of his cap hits for future years while also giving Allen the comfort in knowing that he will get those funds guarantied this year in case he gets cut or injured.

It's not a pay cut and almost becomes a raise in a way. If he lives out his entire contract then he will make the same money he would have normally have made but if he gets injured or cut then he actually makes more money then he would have with the money being restructured into this year. That's how it benefits the player

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Who says Allen would get any sacks if the Pats got him?  It seems we've all forgotten a certain Mr. Derek Burgess...

good call, who's to say anyone will do anything on this team. We should stop signing FA's and trading for players right now and only rely on draft picks.

It's a good thing we never took chances or players like Moss, Dillon, Harrison, Vrable, Washington, Welker, or any other the other hits we had verses the misses.

Back on ignore you go

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Who says Allen would get any sacks if the Pats got him?  It seems we've all forgotten a certain Mr. Derek Burgess...

You are an uber hypocrite for nitpicking everyone's posts because you think they're dumb and then posting this. Derrick Burgess isn't even in the same league as Allen. Burgess had 50% of his sacks in a two season span, Allen has had double-digit sacks in 6 of his 8 years. Allen has created FAR more turnovers than Burgess and has way more tackles. Its almost a slam-dunk that Allen would perform no matter where he plays if the scheme fits his game whereas Burgess was JAG when he was brought in here. Allen is a bonafide superstar, I personally would use a first rounder on him but I doubt BB will do that

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

He might not get a 1, but based on his body of work over a number of seasons says he's an above average pass rusher with speed and power who because of strong DT play can beat a 1 on 1.

So projecting him in the Pats D, he's better than Carter and Anderson.  he'll be playing next to a very strong DT roster so he'll get his.  I just don't think the price will be right for him, if it is why not.  If Carter or Anderson gets hurt who plays DE?  Ellis/Cunningham?  they do not provide the speed of carter or anderson

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts