Jason Campbell to the Browns. I guess Mallet won't go there. Now where?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Jason Campbell to the Browns. I guess Mallet won't go there. Now where?

Per rotoworld:

Browns agreed to terms with QB Jason Campbell, formerly of the Bears, on a two-year contract.

Good night, Colt McCoy? Campbell joins McCoy and Brandon Weeden at quarterback, and will likely force McCoy off the roster. The Browns have been admittedly open to dealing either of their top two quarterbacks, but it's extremely doubtful new coach Rob Chudzinski would feel comfortable with just McCoy and Campbell. Campbell was a disaster in his lone start of 2012, but was contending with a ferocious 49ers' pass rush behind a pathetic offensive line. Going on 32, Campbell's elongated motion makes him a tough sell as a starter, but he's one of the league's better backups. It's within the realm of possibility he'll get on the field this season.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Jason Campbell to the Browns. I guess Mallet won't go there. Now where?

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

That has no bearing on anything.   Someone has to back up Mallett once Lombardi deals Weeden off.

Or maybe they can be like the Jets and have them all.... McCoy, Weeden, Campbell and bring in Mallet too!  Hahahahaha!! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I think they would use him as a backup, that said I don't think Mallets going anywhere

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Some blog is reporting that Lombardi was seen this afternoon in Foxboro, whimpering while being dragged along on the ground, holding on with one hand to the shirttail of BB, the other the offer of trading the number one draft pick of Cleveland for Mallett.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

That has no bearing on anything.   Someone has to back up Mallett once Lombardi deals Weeden off.

Or maybe they can be like the Jets and have them all.... McCoy, Weeden, Campbell and bring in Mallet too!  Hahahahaha!! 

Yes. The Jets will deal their 1st rd pick for a plethora of additional young QBs to offset the disaster known as Sanchez.   bwahahahh

Hahahaha!  Maybe their new offensive game plan will be to use a different QB for each offensive possession!  Right now they have enough for 5 possessions!  Bwahahahahaha! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The Jets are having a Quarterback competition.

The winner gets released and the loser gets the starting job.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I'm with Rusty, this signing has no effect on whether Mallet goes there or not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Phil Taylor salary 2013-$2.2m. 2014-$2.6m

Ryan Mallette salary 2013-$800k. 2014-900k

Pats backup QB-$1m?

Pats would need to clear a good amount of cap space to consummate this deal. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Pats backup QB-$1m?

Why is that? They still have 8/10 m in space. I don't see cap space as being an issue if this deal went down. Though...I think if any deal with Mallet happens it will be for picks anyway. Somethinglike a 4th this yr and a 2nd or 3rd Nxt yr as BB looks to add picks to 2014....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

Pats backup QB-$1m?

Why is that? They still have 8/10 m in space. I don't see cap space as being an issue if this deal went down. Though...I think if any deal with Mallet happens it will be for picks anyway. Somethinglike a 4th this yr and a 2nd or 3rd Nxt yr as BB looks to add picks to 2014....

Speculation is they have approx $10M, but not knowing specifics on Vollmer, hard to say for sure.

assuming the number is $10M, if the Pats keep the current draft choice slots, they will need approx $3.3M to sign them. Pats have also historically "carry over" approx $5-7M to sign players in season. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Pats backup QB-$1m?

Speculation is they have approx $10M, but not knowing specifics on Vollmer, hard to say for sure.

assuming the number is $10M, if the Pats keep the current draft choice slots, they will need approx $3.3M to sign them. Pats have also historically "carry over" approx $5-7M to sign players in season. 

Don't forget they would replace the bottom 51 contracts too so the bottom 51 are usually above $500K but lets assume that number. The difference between Taylor and Mallett is $1.4mil and minus the bottom contract for the $1mil backup QB you are only looking at adding $2mil total. If you can't find a way to add $2mil to the cap to fit in a very young starting DT/NT then you don't belong in the business. Releasing Fells, since they already have 4 TE's on the roster other then him, would free up $1mil and you don't need to replace him. I think that would be very do able.

But, Campbell doesn't mean anything but a vet QB. He's a career backup who's slightly better then Sanchez. If the Browns are actually looking for a starting franchise QB I wouldn't start with a 32yr old career backup.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

With Rapoport's latest report there may be more demand for Mallett then most thought. If their previous demand was just a 2nd and that has turned into a 1st, then to me at least it's clear there are a larger number of teams trying to get Mallett then we all think.

As PATSchamp mentioned in another thread these teams could include: Buf, Oak, Jax, Clev, Phi, Ari all of which have been rumored to Geno but only one will get him. Then add into it that rumors are no one is impressed with any of the 2nd round QB's paying a high 2nd round is beginning to look better and better for some team needing a QB.

NFL.com reports the Patriots won't trade Ryan Mallett for less than a first-round pick, or "maybe" a second.

The Pats are remarkably adept at pumping up their backup QBs' value through the media, but it does stand to reason they'd want more than the third-round pick they spent on Mallett in any potential deal. We'd guess the "maybe" on a second-rounder is more "probably," however. New England may have lost a potential trading partner in the Browns Wednesday after they signed Jason Campbell.  Source:   Ian Rapoport on Twitter

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Pats backup QB-$1m?

Don't forget they would replace the bottom 51 contracts too so the bottom 51 are usually above $500K but lets assume that number. The difference between Taylor and Mallett is $1.4mil and minus the bottom contract for the $1mil backup QB you are only looking at adding $2mil total. If you can't find a way to add $2mil to the cap to fit in a very young starting DT/NT then you don't belong in the business. Releasing Fells, since they already have 4 TE's on the roster other then him, would free up $1mil and you don't need to replace him. I think that would be very do able.

But, Campbell doesn't mean anything but a vet QB. He's a career backup who's slightly better then Sanchez. If the Browns are actually looking for a starting franchise QB I wouldn't start with a 32yr old career backup.

I would agree with you about Taylor and $2.0m. Where does that leave Abraham, Sanders, Edeman, another CB?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Pats backup QB-$1m?

I would agree with you about Taylor and $2.0m. Where does that leave Abraham, Sanders, Edeman, another CB?

I'm really not sure they should go after Sanders. Not only will Sanders cost a 3rd but the front loaded contract preventing Pitt from matching would mean you would have issues fitting in anyone but Sanders. Also to me Sanders is a #2/3 WR right now and I don't see much higher of a ceiling then a younger Branch during the SB years. Worth a 3rd, yes, but a 3rd and the cap space that can be used to add a pass rusher and maybe another player? Personally I'm not fond of it. I'd rather use the 2nd on a WR, sign Abraham, and sign Edelman or Lloyd for vet min then go get Sanders and might not have enough room to get Abraham or another WR

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think I prefer DHB and Edelman over Sanders. Not a fan of a draft choice WR at 1 or 2. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

The Jets are having a Quarterback competition.

The winner gets released and the loser gets the starting job.

Hahahaha!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Per rotoworld:

Browns agreed to terms with QB Jason Campbell, formerly of the Bears, on a two-year contract.

Good night, Colt McCoy? Campbell joins McCoy and Brandon Weeden at quarterback, and will likely force McCoy off the roster. The Browns have been admittedly open to dealing either of their top two quarterbacks, but it's extremely doubtful new coach Rob Chudzinski would feel comfortable with just McCoy and Campbell. Campbell was a disaster in his lone start of 2012, but was contending with a ferocious 49ers' pass rush behind a pathetic offensive line. Going on 32, Campbell's elongated motion makes him a tough sell as a starter, but he's one of the league's better backups. It's within the realm of possibility he'll get on the field this season.

Hmmmmm......respectfully disagree...Campbell is exactly who you bring in to work behind a young starter....I don't believe he's a starter there. I'll betcha there are 2 or 3 teams looking at Mallett with Cleveland being the front runner. Just the mind games going on where BB asks for the moon and the contenders offer little....

The closer we get to draft day the closer the trading partners get. I still say he's heading to Cleveland... 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

still really like the phil taylor for mallet trade rumor. works well for both teams, we need a stud DT to put next to wilfork and they need a good QB prospect without losing a draft pick.  they also have 2 good DT's so could afford to lose taylor.  They did pretty well without him last season anyways.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Pats backup QB-$1m?

Per PFT the pats still have 13.8 million in salary cap room..

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/27/plenty-of-teams-have-plenty-of-cap-room/

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

still really like the phil taylor for mallet trade rumor. works well for both teams, we need a stud DT to put next to wilfork and they need a good QB prospect without losing a draft pick.  they also have 2 good DT's so could afford to lose taylor.  They did pretty well without him last season anyways.

I'm with you. I want phil   

Sections
Shortcuts