Jason Taylors sack in 4rth qtr.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Jason Taylors sack in 4rth qtr.

Another example of how Jets coaching and 2nd half adjustments dominated our coaching and lack there of.

Jets line up 5 men on the d-line. We have 5 o-linemen and Morris to pick up a blitzer. PROBLEM is Jets only rush THREE GUYS. 2 Lbs drop back in coverage. Thats EIGHT DEFENDERS TO COVER 4 RECEIVERS. This happened a lot. Now of course Light was burned by Taylor and its not good that 3 guys can rush 5 and sack the QB but thats not the point. Our staff couldn't figure out what needed to be done to counter this measure. They did it all 2nd half. Why didn't we go power run formation when they did this and then start going no huddle to catch them out of personnel? Perhaps our young offense can't handle the no huddle. Perhaps the coaching staff can't handle a no huddle. We did nothing to put the offense in position to succeed in the 2nd half. We were out coached plain and simple.

Or as a few would have it Brady just suddenly stopped playing well in the 2nd half after throwing 190 yards and 2 tds against the best defense in the league in their home in the 1st half.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Re: Jason Taylors sack in 4rth qtr.

Taylor always has lights number. It'd be something if taylors last play in the NFL was the sack on Brady. Is he going to play this week?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I would guess that BB has covered with the O-line how to pick up a 3 man rush.  Not sure you can blame the coach for the line getting confused and beaten.  Sort of basic stuff for lineman.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Yeah man Light simply got beat.  The team simply got beat, coaches and players alike.  Every time we get beat are we supposed to clean house?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

That's not what I'm going for. I know Taylor has owned Light and the play was unfortunate. My point is even if Taylor didn't put the spin move on Light Brady had nowhere to go with the ball again. Yeah maybe somebody breaks free after 4 or 5 seconds but guys were blanketed all over the field because they only rushed 3 guys. 8 guys dropped back to cover 4 receiver options. Even Morris had nobody to pick up so he went out in the flat AND he was covered. The safety popped Welker again as Brady  got hit because his route was only 3-4 yards across the middle(and he wasn't open). The offense that we ran in the 2nd half could not take advantage of the mismatch with the Jets only rushing 3-4 guys. Why?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Good points, True. I was watching NE tailgate last night and I did see Hernandez open on that play you're talking about. He raises his hand as he's running a seam route. 

One suggestion I would have is to insert Vollmer at LT. He's bigger, stronger, and faster. How many sacks has he given up in his career? I'm having trouble thinking of one. During the preseason he may have? Regardless, Vollmer is the team's best tackle and it'd be better if he were playing LT. Too bad Light can't play RT.

In Response to Jason Taylors sack in 4rth qtr.:
    Another example of how Jets coaching and 2nd half adjustments dominated our coaching and lack there of. Jets line up 5 men on the d-line. We have 5 o-linemen and Morris to pick up a blitzer. PROBLEM is Jets only rush THREE GUYS. 2 Lbs drop back in coverage. Thats EIGHT DEFENDERS TO COVER 4 RECEIVERS. This happened a lot. Now of course Light was burned by Taylor and its not good that 3 guys can rush 5 and sack the QB but thats not the point. Our staff couldn't figure out what needed to be done to counter this measure. They did it all 2nd half. Why didn't we go power run formation when they did this and then start going no huddle to catch them out of personnel? Perhaps our young offense can't handle the no huddle. Perhaps the coaching staff can't handle a no huddle. We did nothing to put the offense in position to succeed in the 2nd half. We were out coached plain and simple. Or as a few would have it Brady just suddenly stopped playing well in the 2nd half after throwing 190 yards and 2 tds against the best defense in the league in their home in the 1st half.
    Posted by TrueChamp

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan1033. Show Patsfan1033's posts

In Response to Re: Jason Taylors sack in 4rth qtr.:
    That's not what I'm going for. I know Taylor has owned Light and the play was unfortunate. My point is even if Taylor didn't put the spin move on Light Brady had nowhere to go with the ball again. Yeah maybe somebody breaks free after 4 or 5 seconds but guys were blanketed all over the field because they only rushed 3 guys. 8 guys dropped back to cover 4 receiver options. Even Morris had nobody to pick up so he went out in the flat AND he was covered. The safety popped Welker again as Brady  got hit because his route was only 3-4 yards across the middle(and he wasn't open). The offense that we ran in the 2nd half could not take advantage of the mismatch with the Jets only rushing 3-4 guys. Why?
    Posted by TrueChamp

Because the spread formation running game of the Patriots is not good and very predictable...there is no home run threat out of the backfield (even Faulk was limited) and the defenses are not afraid of it.

They bring in a nickel or dime package and drop 8 in coverage to cover 4 or 5 guys, playing 2 deep man under and it eliminates all receivers.  They need to find a RB that can exploit these schemes with Brady making the audibles at the LOS, here's to hoping it's Woodhead or Javarris James, and don't be surprised to see Edelman at the RB spot in 3rd down situations, because obviously the BJGE, Taylor and Morris aren't the answer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Jason Taylors sack in 4rth qtr. : Because the spread formation running game of the Patriots is not good and very predictable...there is no home run threat out of the backfield (even Faulk was limited) and the defenses are not afraid of it. They bring in a nickel or dime package and drop 8 in coverage to cover 4 or 5 guys, playing 2 deep man under and it eliminates all receivers.  They need to find a RB that can exploit these schemes with Brady making the audibles at the LOS, here's to hoping it's Woodhead or Javarris James, and don't be surprised to see Edelman at the RB spot in 3rd down situations, because obviously the BJGE, Taylor and Morris aren't the answer.
    Posted by Patsfan1033

I can't disagree with anything you said. The spread run game(The Faulk draw) is a play to get you 5 yards every time but when is the last time we saw a 20 yard gain on the ground? I think it is more to do with the run formations we used then the RB talent, although I do wish we had a HR threat because we don't. Maybe a good can come out of Faulks injury and we actually commit to run the ball out of different formations? I doubt it. All I know is that we will miss Faulk in a bad way this year for the intangibles he brings to the table every game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan1033. Show Patsfan1033's posts

Interestingly I was saying the same thing the other day about it maybe being a blessing in disguise (unfortunately) because they will have to do some different things and yes, I do agree we will miss him, but maybe not as much as we think!

BTW, the Taylor sack came because Light over-strided to the outside and got too much in front of Taylor (full man on vs. half-man on), a common and fundamental mistake for OT's vs. speed rushers, leading to spin moves inside for QB pressures and sacks!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

Someone pointed out last week that you guys were going to run the spread offense so we could not blitz.  So you ran the spread and we did not blitz.  gratz.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Someone pointed out last week that you guys were going to run the spread offense so we could not blitz.  So you ran the spread and we did not blitz.  gratz.
    Posted by WeDerrWEDAT

Lol totally false they were still blitzing for 90% of the game. Because they didnt on 2-3 plays doesnt mean anything. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I believe he had Hernandez wide open on that play too but Brady failed to see him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Jason Taylors sack in 4rth qtr. :   They bring in a nickel or dime package and drop 8 in coverage to cover 4 or 5 guys, playing 2 deep man under and it eliminates all receivers.  
    Posted by Patsfan1033

This is the Saints defense for us from last year.  They man-up on five receivers, have two safeties over the top and a rover in the short zones to double Welker. Even with this heavy eight-man coverage, however, only three receivers should be double covered, leaving two receivers single covered. With only three rushing, Brady should have plenty of time to recognize which receivers are single covered and to wait until one of those receivers can get free.  Brady seems, however, to be having trouble locating the open man.  Is he getting impatient (or nervous) and throwing too soon (as if he expects to be sacked)?  Or is he keying in on certain receivers too much and trying to force the ball to them even when they're double covered?  Or our receivers just so bad they can't get open even when single covered?  Or is it that our line is so bad, Brady gets pressured to throw fast even against a three-man rush? I'm not sure I know the answer, but sometimes I think it's all of the above!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I believe he had Hernandez wide open on that play too but Brady failed to see him.
    Posted by apdynasty23

I think he may have been open but when you get hit in the back 1.3 seconds into a play I would say not seeing a guy has little to do with it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Jason Taylors sack in 4rth qtr. : This is the Saints defense for us from last year.  They man-up on five receivers, have two safeties over the top and a rover in the short zones to double Welker. Even with this heavy eight-man coverage, however, only three receivers should be double covered, leaving two receivers single covered. With only three rushing, Brady should have plenty of time to recognize which receivers are single covered and to wait until one of those receivers can get free.  Brady seems, however, to be having trouble locating the open man.  Is he getting impatient (or nervous) and throwing too soon (as if he expects to be sacked)?  Or is he keying in on certain receivers too much and trying to force the ball to them even when they're double covered?  Or our receivers just so bad they can't get open even when single covered?  Or is it that our line is so bad, Brady gets pressured to throw fast even against a three-man rush? I'm not sure I know the answer, but sometimes I think it's all of the above!
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Good stuff,  I think last year the bold statement above is correct. A ST like Sam Aiken probably won't make a play in single coverage with any QB throwing him the ball because well because he isn't really a wr. Who else was out there? Ben Watson?

I think this year we have better options but they are rookies (Tate is pretty much a rookie) Do we really think they have timing with Brady? Do we really think they are running crisp routes? Do we think they are not making mistakes? I think as the season goes on and Brady develops these guys and timing/route running gets better then we will see a more efficient offense. I don't mean the 2007 anomaly I mean chain moving and red zone success. I am more worried about an effective run game then I am about the passing game. The 2 go hand in hand.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Agreed. I think the timing thing is overrated though. How long did it take Brady and Branch to gain a feel for eachother? I think it can be the same for Brady and Hernandez if Brady stays disciplined in his reads and doesn't fixate on Moss. Hernandez, Tate, Gronk, and Edelman can flat out play so I think there are options out there for Brady.

This is a great discussion by the way. Good stuff. 

In Response to Re: Jason Taylors sack in 4rth qtr. : Good stuff,  I think last year the bold statement above is correct. A ST like Sam Aiken probably won't make a play in single coverage with any QB throwing him the ball because well because he isn't really a wr. Who else was out there? Ben Watson? I think this year we have better options but they are rookies (Tate is pretty much a rookie) Do we really think they have timing with Brady? Do we really think they are running crisp routes? Do we think they are not making mistakes? I think as the season goes on and Brady develops these guys and timing/route running gets better then we will see a more efficient offense. I don't mean the 2007 anomaly I mean chain moving and red zone success. I am more worried about an effective run game then I am about the passing game. The 2 go hand in hand.
    Posted by TrueChamp

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Jason Taylors sack in 4rth qtr.:
    Another example of how Jets coaching and 2nd half adjustments dominated our coaching and lack there of. Jets line up 5 men on the d-line. We have 5 o-linemen and Morris to pick up a blitzer. PROBLEM is Jets only rush THREE GUYS. 2 Lbs drop back in coverage. Thats EIGHT DEFENDERS TO COVER 4 RECEIVERS. This happened a lot. Now of course Light was burned by Taylor and its not good that 3 guys can rush 5 and sack the QB but thats not the point. Our staff couldn't figure out what needed to be done to counter this measure. They did it all 2nd half. Why didn't we go power run formation when they did this and then start going no huddle to catch them out of personnel? Perhaps our young offense can't handle the no huddle. Perhaps the coaching staff can't handle a no huddle. We did nothing to put the offense in position to succeed in the 2nd half. We were out coached plain and simple. Or as a few would have it Brady just suddenly stopped playing well in the 2nd half after throwing 190 yards and 2 tds against the best defense in the league in their home in the 1st half.
    Posted by TrueChamp

I thought the Pats had a young defense. Now it's a young offense? Wow, amazing. What's next, young water boy, young cheerleaders?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I don't think one game, let alone one play is indicative of anything.  Give it a few games, 5 or 6 there may be some trends.  One sack, one play, I mean how many times did they pick up the rush in that game alone?  Think you're focusing in too much here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Jason Taylors sack in 4rth qtr. : Good stuff,  I think last year the bold statement above is correct. A ST like Sam Aiken probably won't make a play in single coverage with any QB throwing him the ball because well because he isn't really a wr. Who else was out there? Ben Watson? I think this year we have better options but they are rookies (Tate is pretty much a rookie) Do we really think they have timing with Brady? Do we really think they are running crisp routes? Do we think they are not making mistakes? I think as the season goes on and Brady develops these guys and timing/route running gets better then we will see a more efficient offense. I don't mean the 2007 anomaly I mean chain moving and red zone success. I am more worried about an effective run game then I am about the passing game. The 2 go hand in hand.
    Posted by TrueChamp

I agree.  Last year, all our receivers except Welker and Moss could be shut down with single coverage.  I think we've got much better options this year. I'm pretty happy with Hernandez already, and I think Gronk will come along.  My one concern is with Tate.  I was hoping to see more from him, but he hasn't been involved in as many plays as I had expected so far this season.  I'm hoping it's just Tate and Brady needing some more time to get used to each other.  I was at both games in person and haven't seen any film so I'm not sure what's really happening with Tate. Is he getting open and Brady's just not going to him?  Or is he failing to get open?  If Tate becomes a real threat, he'll help us in two big ways (besides getting his own receptions).  First, he'll pull safeties away from Moss, freeing up Moss to make more plays.  Second, he'll help stretch the defense opening up opportunities for the TEs and slot guys. So getting Tate involved more is a big key to our success I think.

I too would like to see a better running game.  Taylor is a really classy back in my opinion.  He made a few nice runs in the first half.  Why, though, is he getting so few carries in the second half?  Are they just afraid he'll wear down? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I think we are afraid to over use Taylor and probably for the right reason(injury as u suggested) I don't see Tate in on many packages and I agree we should use him more. Why not take a downfield shot at Tate. He certainly has the speed. Seems to me like we used a lot of the same personnel in the Jets game in the 2nd half even though it wasnt working?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I don't think one game, let alone one play is indicative of anything.  Give it a few games, 5 or 6 there may be some trends.  One sack, one play, I mean how many times did they pick up the rush in that game alone?  Think you're focusing in too much here.
    Posted by shenanigan

Exactly.  One bad play can happen to any team.  In fact, multiple bad plays will usually happen to every team every week.  That's what makes this game fun to watch.  Sorry to all the people expecting us to field an invincible offense and defense where nothing ever goes wrong.

Sections
Shortcuts