Jason Whitlock's Article On Bill Parcells being overrated.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Jason Whitlock's Article On Bill Parcells being overrated.

Totally agree.  Parcells was a great coach but as a coach/GM he was extremely overrated.   We never got to see what he would have done had he stayed with the young Patriots 96 team for another five years.   With the Jets he built them for a good two year championship run, but after that they were destroyed by age and salary cap.    He didn't do anything special in Dallas and running Miami turned out to be a bust.   

Now compare him with the Hoodie.  Parcells never did anything without Hoodie and unlike Parcells Hoodie has proven that he can build a winner for long term.  

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/bill-parcells-miami-dolphins-kansas-city-chiefs-big-tuna-responsible-for-two-of-the-worst-teams-in-the-nfl-100611

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Re: Jason Whitlock's Article On Bill Parcells being overrated.

No Pats fan worth his salt thinks he was overrated. He turned the Pats from a laughing stock to a playoff/contender in 2 years. He brought massive credibility to the Patriots when they were on the verge of moving to St Louis (or so it appeared at the time). While he was running the Pats they made a lot of good draft choices that later helprd Belichek's teams. I do not know who was in charge of all the choices but McGinest, Ted Johnson, Bruschi, Milloy and TY Law to name a few were all chosen under Parcell's regime. He also chose Bledsoe when local sentiment was for Rick Mirer, and he started him right away. He also chose Curtis Martin and then wisely took him when he went to the Jets (the loss of Martin hurt bad during the Pete Carroll years) despite the heavy cost in draft picks. If Parcells stayed the Pats would probably been to more super Bowls (not sure if Bledsoe could have won any), because the Pats were on the rise when he left.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I thought Parcells could have made Dallas special if Jones didnt but in. He was just a few pieces away.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In Response to Re: Jason Whitlock's Article On Bill Parcells being overrated.:
    I thought Parcells could have made Dallas special if Jones didnt but in. He was just a few pieces away.
    Posted by Philskiw1

I agree with you about this. I felt the Cowboys in 2007 who were 13-3 were a product of Parcells not Wade Phillips and Jones. They have never been as good since the first year after Parcells left. Parcells used to scream at Bledsoe for any screw up, and Bledsoe never screwed up like Romo does constantly. I think Romo would have been a much much better player if Parcells had stayed and the Cowboys would have been super bowl contenders year in and year out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanWilmingtonDE. Show PatsFanWilmingtonDE's posts

If Parcells had stayed on in 1997 the Patriots win the Super Bowl that year. Instead we got Pete Carroll wasting the most talented roster Pats fans had seen to that point. Not overrated.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Jason Whitlock's Article On Bill Parcells being overrated.:
    Totally agree.  Parcells was a great coach but as a coach/GM he was extremely overrated.   We never got to see what he would have done had he stayed with the young Patriots 96 team for another five years.   With the Jets he built them for a good two year championship run, but after that they were destroyed by age and salary cap.    He didn't do anything special in Dallas and running Miami turned out to be a bust.    Now compare him with the Hoodie.  Parcells never did anything without Hoodie and unlike Parcells Hoodie has proven that he can build a winner for long term.   http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/bill-parcells-miami-dolphins-kansas-city-chiefs-big-tuna-responsible-for-two-of-the-worst-teams-in-the-nfl-100611
    Posted by DuncanOrange

I disagree. I thought he was pretty darn good at picking players and recognizing talent. He choose Bledsoe over Mirrer. The guy knows what a pass rusher is supposed to look like - Cameron Wake, Ellis, Taylor, McGinnest, Ware, Abraham...these are some of the better to best pass rushers out there and the guy had a hand in all of them.

Now as a coach, I'd say he wasn't nearly as effective without Belichick by his side doing all the heavy lifting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In Response to Jason Whitlock's Article On Bill Parcells being overrated. : I disagree. I thought he was pretty darn good at picking players and recognizing talent. He choose Bledsoe over Mirrer. The guy knows what a pass rusher is supposed to look like - Cameron Wake, Ellis, Taylor, McGinnest, Ware, Abraham...these are some of the better to best pass rushers out there and the guy had a hand in all of them. Now as a coach, I'd say he wasn't nearly as effective without Belichick by his side doing all the heavy lifting.
    Posted by mthurl

I agree that Belichek was a big help for him in New York but the first few years in New England Belichek was in Cleveland (the Super Bowl year Belichek was the DC though). Belichek , who I believe is the better coach, benefited greatly by many of the players chosen under the Parcells regime (McGinnest, Johnson, Bruschi, Milloy and Law). I am just happy we got both of them because without Parcells we would probably be like LA hoping for an expansion team right now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

If Parcells had stayed on in 1997 the Patriots win the Super Bowl that year. Instead we got Pete Carroll wasting the most talented roster Pats fans had seen to that point. Not overrated.
    Posted by PatsFanWilmingtonDE

There is probably some truth in this because the Pats would not have lost Curtis Martin to the Jets. The one problem is the Broncos were really good in 1997 and I don't think Parcells/Bledsoe ever beat them once. In 1996 the Pats benefited from a huge Jacksonville upset over the Broncos.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Jason Whitlock is overrated...except in his own mind.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In Response to Jason Whitlock's Article On Bill Parcells being overrated. : NO PARCELLS-NO BELLICHICK. END OF STORY. GOD U PATS FANS ARE PATHETIC
    Posted by JintsFan

What the hell are you talking about. Whitlock wrote the story and we all disagree with it. It's not our fault Parcells blew it after he left New England. Don't complain to us. Complain to Whitlock.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Go look at the teams record before he arrived and then look at the record the last year he was there.  Where would Dallas be w/out Tony Romo?

Where would B.B. be w/out Parcells grocery list of Slade, McGinest, Law, Milloy, Johnson, Bruschi , etc

Didnt Miami go from having the worst record to winning the division?

Didnt the Jets get a major upgrade in talent when he arrived? Making the playoffs in year 1 I believe and going to the championship game.?

Yeah, thats def. overated....lol

Call it like it is.  He was a great motivator as a coach and a good to great G.M. and if you wanna compare him to his contemporaries, he is great as a G.M.

Willie McGinest, Demarcus Ware and now Cameron Wake for pass rushers.

I wish B.B. could do that...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Jason Whitlock's Article On Bill Parcells being overrated. :  I agree that Belichek was a big help for him in New York but the first few years in New England Belichek was in Cleveland (the Super Bowl year Belichek was the DC though). Belichek , who I believe is the better coach, benefited greatly by many of the players chosen under the Parcells regime (McGinnest, Johnson, Bruschi, Milloy and Law). I am just happy we got both of them because without Parcells we would probably be like LA hoping for an expansion team right now.
    Posted by ccnsd

I agree and I could add that Parcells made the playoffs here only once without Belichick and that playoff run came to an end at the hands of Belichick (in Cleveland). In his defense though a bit, he did inherit a laughing stalk of a team and injuries to Bledsoe one year kept them from making the playoffs.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

Parcells was a great coach and a great motivator. Unfortunately for him he has an extremely bad personality flaw which kept himself from possibly being the best all time. He is very thin skinned. He is so sensitive that he couldn't hang around anywhere long enough to make a mark after he left the Giants. He turned the Pats around when we were the most pathetic team in NFL history, he turned the Jets around when they were destroyed by Carroll(Edit) and he turned the Cowboys around but when you hire him you were only renting him short term because his Bi-polar disorder kicks in after about year 2. If he could have just hung around the Giants for his career or even the Pats for his rebirth he'd probably be considered the best right now with BB right beside him for the honor. Jason Whitlock sckks but what else is new.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

Edwards wasn't there with Parcells. Bradway was the GM when Edwards was there. He took over for Parcells. I think you mean when they were destroyed by Coslet, Rich Kotite, Pete Carroll as coaches, but also destroyed by former Pats executive, Dick Steinberg. lol So, even going back to the late 80s/early 90s, our stamp has been decimating the Jets in every so subtle ways. bawhaha
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Yeah you're right.. It was Carroll but now that you mention it they had a lot of bad coaches over the years. It's kind of hard to keep track.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In Response to Jason Whitlock's Article On Bill Parcells being overrated.:
    Totally agree.  Parcells was a great coach but as a coach/GM he was extremely overrated.   We never got to see what he would have done had he stayed with the young Patriots 96 team for another five years.   With the Jets he built them for a good two year championship run, but after that they were destroyed by age and salary cap.    He didn't do anything special in Dallas and running Miami turned out to be a bust.    Now compare him with the Hoodie.  Parcells never did anything without Hoodie and unlike Parcells Hoodie has proven that he can build a winner for long term.   http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/bill-parcells-miami-dolphins-kansas-city-chiefs-big-tuna-responsible-for-two-of-the-worst-teams-in-the-nfl-100611
    Posted by DuncanOrange

I got into an argument with theKing on this.  It really depends on what you are doing.  Parcells came in a turned a Pats franchise around.  Moved to the Jets and did the same.  Went to Dallas and then Miami getting each team out of the crapper.  This is what Parcells does very well but he can't get them over the hump.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In Response to Re: Jason Whitlock's Article On Bill Parcells being overrated. : lol!   Yeah, that was a real tough choice.  Oh my. 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

You must not have been around back then. Mirer was the popular choice around Boston because of his Notre Dame ties (the next Montana). Mirer got off to a great start his rookie year and everyone thought the Pats screwed up bad. I believe the Pats started out like 1-10 that year. People were saying the Pats chose Eason over Marino again. Do not forget that Mginnest, Johnson, Bruschi, Milloy, Law and Curtis Martin were also picked up during his short tenure running the Pats. If it wern't for Parcells this team would probably have moved to St Louis. I remember NFL officials saying Boston was a baseball town and nobody would care in the long run if the Pats left. Just because he may not be as good a coach as Belichek does not mean he did not do a great job running the Pats. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Posted by PatsFanWilmingtonDE

No way. We could never beat the Broncos then. Had the Broncos not choked to Jacksonville that year they may have won 3 straight Super Bowls. And maybe 4 if Elway didn't retire. That's scary.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

I like Jason Whitlock but I disagree. Parcells won everywhere he went. I miss Whitlock on the sports reporters. He was funny. And he was one of the few black jounalists who criticized Isiah Thomas and his pettiness and subtle racism.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Jason Whitlock's Article On Bill Parcells being overrated. : NO PARCELLS-NO BELLICHICK. END OF STORY. GOD U PATS FANS ARE PATHETIC
    Posted by JintsFan

Condescension without a cause

Do you *REALLY* think that Parcells made Belichick?  That other teams didn't recognize his talent and experience and intelligence?  That he wouldn't have gotten his breaks elsewhere?

Please

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts