Jeff Demps

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Jeff Demps

In Response to Re: Jeff Demps:
    [QUOTE]Cuts are hard guys. Pats-bilbo said it above, Edelman did nothing as a slot WR last night (I still think Brady has no confidence in him after the consecutive game TD drops 2 season ago) and Demps is a better returner both kickoff and punt. Sorry but I just don't see 3rd/4th string QB and Emergency DB being enough too make this team. Lets be real here. He's 1000x better then Woodhead. Woodhead was a nice story and all but come on. Maybe all 3 make the team but I won't be shocked if either one or both Woodhead and Edelman get cut.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree tcal and have said before that I think both Edelman and Woodhead are bubble guys.  Woodhead's one big advantage right now is his experience.  With all the other backs having very little experience in the system, Woodhead might keep his job just because BB won't feel comfortable going into the season with a bunch of untested backs none of whom has convincingly proven he can pass block when we go to spread formations. In fact, I still think Woodhead will likely make the team, with Bolden, Larsen, or Kettani losing out.  

Edelman's advantage is his versatility and ability to return kickoffs and punts, but I think that advantage is looking weaker as the team takes shape. I could see BB chosing to keep both Stallworth and Branch or choosing to keep an extra DB instead of keeping Edelman.  His QB ability isn't going to matter, I don't think, especially since I think we will keep three real QBs.    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Eddleman has really never stood out in any one area.

He's an average punt/kick returner.

Average at best WR, average speed and questionable hands.

A good question might be: would you keep Eddleman over Cole or Dennard?

Demps makes the team, IMHO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm really starting to think Woodhead is just an average player at this point (and I thought he was more than that). It seems like he's dropped every ball that has come his way this pre season and I can't remember the last time I saw him have a big run. I know he's the only guy on the roster with experience, but you have to be able to play too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

I was hoping to see Demps with the starters and returning kicks in the first half.
    1 thing is for sure. He's better than any other returner we have.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]I was hoping to see Demps with the starters and returning kicks in the first half. 1 thing is for sure. He's better than any other returner we have.
    Posted by Rerun85[/QUOTE]

Demps had only practiced once before the game last night and he said that he hadn't touched a football since last year. I think he will be out as the first return man soon, maybe against the Giants.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeff Demps : I tend to agree tcal and have said before that I think both Edelman and Woodhead are bubble guys.  Woodhead's one big advantage right now is his experience.  With all the other backs having very little experience in the system, Woodhead might keep his job just because BB won't feel comfortable going into the season with a bunch of untested backs none of whom has convincingly proven he can pass block when we go to spread formations. In fact, I still think Woodhead will likely make the team, with Bolden, Larsen, or Kettani losing out.    Edelman's advantage is his versatility and ability to return kickoffs and punts, but I think that advantage is looking weaker as the team takes shape. I could see BB chosing to keep both Stallworth and Branch or choosing to keep an extra DB instead of keeping Edelman.  His QB ability isn't going to matter, I don't think, especially since I think we will keep three real QBs.    
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Good points, I wont be surprised at all if both Edelman and Woodhead get cut, Woodhead even more so with the emergence of Demps.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]I'm really starting to think Woodhead is just an average player at this point (and I thought he was more than that). It seems like he's dropped every ball that has come his way this pre season and I can't remember the last time I saw him have a big run. I know he's the only guy on the roster with experience, but you have to be able to play too.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Woodhead and BJGE were simply not a good backfield.  You don't have to be a football expert to see the upgrade in both Vereen and Ridley.  Add in Demps and you've got a huge boost in talent behind the line.  The only thing I'm worried about (and it's significant) is can these new guys block and do the other little things required in our complex passing offense? If they can do the less obvious stuff in the passing game, we'll have a very good backfield.

Woodhead's primary value now is that BB knows that he can perform the passing back role well enough.  But if Vereen and Demps can do the little things in the passing game, then Woodhead quickly become dispensible.  

At least that's how I see it. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

yes, when you think about it, that is a big upgrade in the backfield.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]Everybody in the NFL is fast, beyond fast this kid is quick, he makes good cuts and is a decisive runner.  I wouldn't be surprised given BB's relationship with Urban Meyer if we learned Demp's and the Pat's had a contract hammered out prior to the Olympics.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Nice to see you figured out what world class speed means to the NFL, WOZZ. Told ya so! A step is the difference in a big play, and Demps has got that step on everybody!!! He will be the real deal....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Cuts are hard guys. Pats-bilbo said it above, Edelman did nothing as a slot WR last night (I still think Brady has no confidence in him after the consecutive game TD drops 2 season ago) and Demps is a better returner both kickoff and punt. Sorry but I just don't see 3rd/4th string QB and Emergency DB being enough too make this team. Lets be real here. He's 1000x better then Woodhead. Woodhead was a nice story and all but come on. Maybe all 3 make the team but I won't be shocked if either one or both Woodhead and Edelman get cut.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

i think bb values woodhead, and even more, edelman, more than us and more than most football people, thus he may be more attached to them, making harder to cut them. is edelman next years slot? if hes not going to be a good reliable slot wr i think he should be cut . being "eh" at a lot of positions i dont value as much as being good at one.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeff Demps : I tend to agree tcal and have said before that I think both Edelman and Woodhead are bubble guys.  Woodhead's one big advantage right now is his experience.  With all the other backs having very little experience in the system, Woodhead might keep his job just because BB won't feel comfortable going into the season with a bunch of untested backs none of whom has convincingly proven he can pass block when we go to spread formations. In fact, I still think Woodhead will likely make the team, with Bolden, Larsen, or Kettani losing out.    Edelman's advantage is his versatility and ability to return kickoffs and punts, but I think that advantage is looking weaker as the team takes shape. I could see BB chosing to keep both Stallworth and Branch or choosing to keep an extra DB instead of keeping Edelman.  His QB ability isn't going to matter, I don't think, especially since I think we will keep three real QBs.    

"Woodhead might keep his job just because BB won't feel comfortable going into the season with a bunch of untested backs none of whom has convincingly proven he can pass block when we go to spread formations."

these are my thoughts as well

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeff Demps : Nice to see you figured out what world class speed means to the NFL, WOZZ. Told ya so! A step is the difference in a big play, and Demps has got that step on everybody!!! He will be the real deal....
    Posted by RallyC[/QUOTE]

did you see all the naysayers when i said what demps would do in the nfl when it was said he was coming to the nfl.

today both the naysayers and those who wanted demps originally are all happy (as it should be) today that we got him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeff Demps : tcal You are really into bold predictions lately (Ebner = Polamalu) ! I did not see the game last night but do you really think NE is willing to give up it's all-purpose jack knives so quickly? One thing BB has already accomplished this year is to make the team more exciting with addition of Ebner and Demps along with improving the overall defensive strength. 
    Posted by NYC[/QUOTE]

i think there are only so many spots to go around. would be nice to keep 3 TEs and a FB on the roster. We still need some players for the OL and of course our defense is still missing more pieces than the offense. So, who stays and who goes?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeff Demps : i think there are only so many spots to go around. would be nice to keep 3 TEs and a FB on the roster. We still need some players for the OL and of course our defense is still missing more pieces than the offense. So, who stays and who goes?
    Posted by anonymis[/QUOTE]

I think the 53 man roster is a problem for good teams like the Pats that are forced to cut good players who would otherwise contribute to the team. On the other hand this benefits teams with weaker personnel who can pick these players up. Myself, I would favor the Rules Committee expanding the roster to 55 players especially given the risk of injury common in the league. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]ok bandwagoners.... say it with me: demps is the USAIN BOLT of the patriots... you cant teach speed kool-aiders. been crying out for this kind of move. bill's a master strategist with the best system in the league. however, without competitive talent you still are one game short of a ring! a guy like demps with gronk, herny, welk, lloyd, tb and others can really change the equation. feel bad for woody. if he somehow makes this team, his role will be very marginalized going forward barring injury. he's now the kevin faulk of last year. frankly, he wont be on this final roster for whatever reason.
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

Demps actually played and plays football. Bolt is no football player. Good thing Demps isnt Bolt or he would not be out there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

I really enjoy watching the draft and even the month or so of evaluating different players the pats might draft. I really don't follow college football during the season at all. This site had Demps listed as a possible 3rd or 4th round pick had he attended the scout combine. Does this sound about right to any of you experts? Wow what a steal if this is fairly accurate. 

03/12/12 - Florida running back Jeff Demps affirmed his decision to focus on a track career by skipping the N.F.L. combine last month. Demps remained unmoved when his teammate Chris Rainey called to tease him, suggesting that he should have participated in the showcase simply to show off his 40-yard-dash time. Even that would have been a distraction for Demps. Forty yards is far too short a distance for Demps, and spending any moment thinking about the N.F.L. is nothing short of a waste of time for him. “I still love the game of football, that will never be taken from me,” said Demps, who ran 6.56 seconds Saturday to capture his third consecutive 60-meter title at the N.C.A.A. indoor track and field championships. “But I just enjoy running. I have to be out there on the track.” That drive is what motivates Demps, who walked away from a possible third- or fourth-round draft selection and the fame and money that would have accompanied it. It is also what could land Demps on the United States team that will compete this summer in the London Olympics. “Jeff works as hard as anyone I’ve ever coached,” said Florida Coach Mike Holloway, who is also an assistant for the United States, concentrating on sprinters. “But he’s still got things to work on to be where he needs to be.” Perhaps it is more where Demps wants to be, trading his Gators colors for Olympic attire and a future track career. “Growing up, I was always a football player, so I never dreamed of running in the Olympics,” said Demps, whose father starred in football and whose mother excelled in track. “But in high school when I started to run, something just turned on in me. I would love to be able to run for the Olympic team one day.” - Jason Chatraw, The New York Times

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

Demps is clueless in running pass routes and has no ability to track a ball in flight.  He was totally lost on the wheel route (Mallets reaction was priceless "coach I threw it to him like you said) and was blind on  the need to make an adjustment on the ball in the end zone.  I wouldn't haste to get rid of Edelman or Woodhead.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogi3333. Show yogi3333's posts

[QUOTE]I'll put it this way his performance last night, after only a few practice's, has made both Edelman and Woodhead expandable.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Edelman is still the Welker backup. Agree though, Woodhead's role becomes a bit marginalized. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogi3333. Show yogi3333's posts

[QUOTE]Everybody in the NFL is fast, beyond fast this kid is quick, he makes good cuts and is a decisive runner.  I wouldn't be surprised given BB's relationship with Urban Meyer if we learned Demp's and the Pat's had a contract hammered out prior to the Olympics.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

With the new CBA, rookie contracts across organizations aren't too differentiated. Reports did indicate that Demps was about to hop a plane to NE pre-draft for a workout when an injury on the Olympic team created a spot for him. So, the Pats ate the plane ticket but Demps remained loyal and chose the Pats. The good karma created results in delayed gratification for Pats.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Demps is clueless in running pass routes

Clueless? One pass thrown to the wrong shoulder and he's clueless. Seriously, the guy has 2 practices as a rookie after participating in the worlds most elite sporting event as a sprinter,has to shift from track to NFL footballs most precise and complicated offense and he's clueless. WOW NFL teams must be beating down your door to hire you as a scout. Cluless,that is hilarious.

Like I said before being able to run that fast in full pads is a special asset to have. He is going to make it harder for a few people to make the team. Edelman is more likely to stay because he is not only versatile but willingly will do almost anything you ask him to do. Woodhead is the guy Demps most effects because they play the basically same role and Woodhead has not impressed so far this preseason. I'm feeling that if Hoyer doesn't stick Edelmans chances are better than Woodheads. As much as I like Vereen if he is injured he might be cut because Bolden has looked pretty good when he gets his reps. 11 years ago you got cut from the Pats you were probably out of the NFL. The last few years almost everyone cut by the Pats wind up on another NFL team Every year BB makes some cuts that are quizzical to fans like us but that is why we are where we are and he is where he is.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeff Demps : Woodhead and BJGE were simply not a good backfield.  You don't have to be a football expert to see the upgrade in both Vereen and Ridley.  Add in Demps and you've got a huge boost in talent behind the line.  The only thing I'm worried about (and it's significant) is can these new guys block and do the other little things required in our complex passing offense? If they can do the less obvious stuff in the passing game, we'll have a very good backfield. Woodhead's primary value now is that BB knows that he can perform the passing back role well enough.  But if Vereen and Demps can do the little things in the passing game, then Woodhead quickly become dispensible.   At least that's how I see it. 

who could do that before? law firm and woody were below average blockers. Faulk and Morris did fine.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeff Demps : did you see all the naysayers when i said what demps would do in the nfl when it was said he was coming to the nfl. today both the naysayers and those who wanted demps originally are all happy (as it should be) today that we got him.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

But of course, Bru! That's how it usually works here. Everybody hates the idea until it works brilliantly. Then, everybody SAID it would be a great idea! Bru, Demps is like a Chris Johnson type in explosiveness.....and if Chris was more dedicated to his craft, like Demps has proven he has by working so hard to be an Olympic medalist and standout RB at one of the best football schools in the nation, Chris would be the phenom most thought he was a couple of years ago. I played ball at East Carolina well before Chris, but I know him well enough to recognize the difference between a flash in the pan and a future star when I see it. DEDICATION AND HARD WORD.....I take an Olympian with a medal any day! Good on you for seeing it early...... 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeff Demps :   Really man!!! This kid hasn't TOUCHED  a football in over a year, goes out and electrifies Patriot Nation after 4 practices and you are bashing him on a back shoulder throw that takes 100's of reps between a receiver and QB  not only to develope the timing of the throw, but also the unspoken eye contact between the 2. You have obviously NEVER even attempted to catch that type of ball so please leave your EXPERT opinion to the coaching staff..... This kid could POTENTIALLY be the REAL change of pace back the Pats have needed since Brady's arrival. No disrepect to Mr Faulk....this kid may be in a different league( MAY BE).  There are 31 other teams who wish Mr Demps chose them!!!
    Posted by leatherhelmet[/QUOTE]

I'll give him til next wed to prove he can catch a ball over back shoulder.....lol Laughing

Like u basically said, give the man a break. I did not expect much early on. At least give him a year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeff Demps :   Really man!!! This kid hasn't TOUCHED  a football in over a year, goes out and electrifies Patriot Nation after 4 practices and you are bashing him on a back shoulder throw that takes 100's of reps between a receiver and QB  not only to develope the timing of the throw, but also the unspoken eye contact between the 2. You have obviously NEVER even attempted to catch that type of ball so please leave your EXPERT opinion to the coaching staff..... This kid could POTENTIALLY be the REAL change of pace back the Pats have needed since Brady's arrival. No disrepect to Mr Faulk....this kid may be in a different league( MAY BE).  There are 31 other teams who wish Mr Demps chose them!!!
    Posted by leatherhelmet[/QUOTE]

My comment was in regards to the clamor to cut Edelman and Woodhead based on Demp's showing.   There is more to being an NFL back than just running fast, you know things like route running and blocking (everyone says that's why TB won't throw to Edelman).  And I don't recall calling for Demps to be released nor saying he wouldn't be successful or an asset to the Pats.

By the way, I played a lot of WR (and DB) in my younger days, ran all the routes and caught similar type of passes.  But when one is 5'8", 140 lbs with average speed, one realizes that an NFL career was not to be.