Jeff Fisher Wearing a Peyton Manning Jersey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Re: Jeff Fisher Wearing a Peyton Manning Jersey

OH PLEASE STOP THIS MADNESS!!!! Who cares if he wore Peyton's jersey?  REALLY, lighten the heck up, people!  WHO CARES!?!?!?!?  This is infantile in the same way that people saying Bill B. is a cheater or that we win by cheating is infntile.  It's a jersey, whatever.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

PS Indy can lowball any opponent they want.  JUST NOT FOR MONEY.  Resting starters is a valid, if flawed, strategy.  The Colts don't cheat.  They just badly manage their schedule.  And that is one reason why they lost all those times in the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Udog, you were right about the Titans being on O at the end.  But it was obvious at the end that Dungy was not trying to win that game.  It wasn't just the personnel and there was some controversy at the end (maybe he didn't use his time outs to try to get the ball back).

Sure, we all know that teams should win a plyoff spot and not back in with help from another team.  But Browns fans felt s crewed, and I believe they were right.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

A lot of people are coming to his defense but I think it was stupid and I would be upset if I were a Titans fan.  You're 0-6 in a season where there were SUPERBOWL expectations.  You just lost in possibly the worst performance in NFL history.  Now, two days later, you are cracking jokes about your team while wearing a jersey of your top rival?  Come on!!!  It would make more sense for Dungy, who is no longer the coach of the Colts, to wear a Titans jersey.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

In Response to Re: Jeff Fisher Wearing a Peyton Manning Jersey:
    [QUOTE]Udog, you were right about the Titans being on O at the end.  But it was obvious at the end that Dungy was not trying to win that game.  It wasn't just the personnel and there was some controversy at the end (maybe he didn't use his time outs to try to get the ball back). Sure, we all know that teams should win a plyoff spot and not back in with help from another team.  But Browns fans felt s crewed, and I believe they were right.  
    Posted by bostatewarrior[/QUOTE]
    Ok - so you finally looked up some things.  Here's what happened. 

Here is the play by play on the final 2 drives of that game, Tennessee is up by 6 pts: 

Indianapolis Colts at 2:56TENIND
    1st and 10 at IND 25(2:56) J.Sorgi pass incomplete short middle to D.Aromashodu.  
     Penalty on IND-C.Thorpe, Illegal Formation, declined.  
    2nd and 10 at IND 25(2:45) (Shotgun) J.Sorgi pass incomplete short right to D.Aromashodu.  
    3rd and 10 at IND 25(2:41) (Shotgun) J.Sorgi pass short right to C.Thorpe to IND 24 for -1 yards (V.Fuller).  
    4th and 11 at IND 24(2:01) (Shotgun) J.Sorgi pass incomplete deep left to D.Aromashodu (C.Lowry).  
     Two-Minute Warning  

Tennessee Titans at 1:54TENIND
    1st and 10 at IND 24(1:54) K.Collins kneels, dead ball declared at IND 25 for -1 yards.  
    2nd and 11 at IND 25(1:15) K.Collins kneels, dead ball declared at IND 26 for -1 yards.  
    3rd and 12 at IND 26(:38) K.Collins kneels, dead ball declared at IND 27 for -1 yards.

On the colts last drive they TRIED TO MOVE THE BALL AND EVEN WENT FOR IT ON 4TH AND 11 WITH 2 MINUTES TO PLAY.  Sorgi missed and the Titans took over on downs at the COLTS 24 YARD LINE.  This put the Titans 24 yds from a touchdown and definitely in field goal range with one of the best kickers in the NFL. 

If Dungy calls his last time-out, which he would have wanted to do after the Titans first play from scrimmage, then Fisher would have tried for a first down, possibly gotten it, and if not, would have been that much closer for a field goal.  At the very least, a field goal puts the Titans up 9 and the game is out of reach even if the colts get the ball back for a maximum of 25 seconds. 

Cleveland would have had a much easier time beating Cincinnati (which they didn't) when controlling their own destiny the week before than having the colts 2nd and 3rd stringers beat the Titans 1st unit with the Titans up 9 with 25 seconds to play.  Cleveland can complain all they want but ALL they needed to do take care of THEIR own business by beating a team 4 games under 500 rather than worrying about how another team (the colts) takes care of its own.

Further, you seem to think that sitting starters is implicitly cheating because it implies a team is not giving everything to win the game.  Now I assume you are a pats fan because you are on this board.  Maybe not.  Are you?  If so, then how you do justify Belichick sitting his starters in the pats last game in 05 when their playoff destiny was already set? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeff Fisher Wearing a Peyton Manning Jersey : While on defense?? Geez, man.  Go look it up so you have it right.  Look up the play by play or even the conspiracy so that you can argue it correctly.  When you do, then we can talk intelligently about whether or not you do have an arguement.  By the way, were Browns fans more outraged about the fact that the colts could care less about the outcome of the titans game or that Browns owned the same control the week before and could not close the deal vs. the hapless Bungles?  More importantly, what should Browns fans be more outraged about?
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

The Titans got the ball back at the two-minute warning. The Colts had one timeout and were down by 6. The Titans originally called a running play because the Colts could stop the clock once and would get the ball back if the Titans just took a knee. 

Then, the Titans took a knee over the course of 3 plays to end the game while the Colts did not stop the clock. Basically, the Colts conceded the game.

The controversy was - and this is the part you, ahem, overlooked, ud - how did the Titans know the Colts wouldn't call time? It is pretty standard in this situation. Kerry Collins said on his radio show that the Titans changed to a kneeldown because the coaches had an "agreement". This hinted at collusion which is against the rules. 

The end result was that with the win, the Titans made the playoffs and knocked the Browns out of the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeff Fisher Wearing a Peyton Manning Jersey : Ok - so you finally looked up some things.  Here's what happened.  Here is the play by play on the final 2 drives of that game, Tennessee is up by 6 pts:  Indianapolis Colts at 2:56 TEN IND 1st and 10 at IND 25 (2:56) J.Sorgi pass incomplete short middle to D.Aromashodu.       Penalty on IND-C.Thorpe, Illegal Formation, declined.     2nd and 10 at IND 25 (2:45) (Shotgun) J.Sorgi pass incomplete short right to D.Aromashodu.     3rd and 10 at IND 25 (2:41) (Shotgun) J.Sorgi pass short right to C.Thorpe to IND 24 for -1 yards (V.Fuller).     4th and 11 at IND 24 (2:01) (Shotgun) J.Sorgi pass incomplete deep left to D.Aromashodu (C.Lowry).       Two-Minute Warning       Tennessee Titans at 1:54 TEN IND 1st and 10 at IND 24 (1:54) K.Collins kneels, dead ball declared at IND 25 for -1 yards.     2nd and 11 at IND 25 (1:15) K.Collins kneels, dead ball declared at IND 26 for -1 yards.     3rd and 12 at IND 26 (:38) K.Collins kneels, dead ball declared at IND 27 for -1 yards. On the colts last drive they TRIED TO MOVE THE BALL AND EVEN WENT FOR IT ON 4TH AND 11 WITH 2 MINUTES TO PLAY.  Sorgi missed and the Titans took over on downs at the COLTS 24 YARD LINE.  This put the Titans 24 yds from a touchdown and definitely in field goal range with one of the best kickers in the NFL.  If Dungy calls his last time-out, which he would have wanted to do after the Titans first play from scrimmage, then Fisher would have tried for a first down, possibly gotten it, and if not, would have been that much closer for a field goal.  At the very least, a field goal puts the Titans up 9 and the game is out of reach even if the colts get the ball back for a maximum of 25 seconds.  Cleveland would have had a much easier time beating Cincinnati (which they didn't) when controlling their own destiny the week before than having the colts 2nd and 3rd stringers beat the Titans 1st unit with the Titans up 9 with 25 seconds to play.  Cleveland can complain all they want but ALL they needed to do take care of THEIR own business by beating a team 4 games under 500 rather than worrying about how another team (the colts) takes care of its own. Further, you seem to think that sitting starters is implicitly cheating because it implies a team is not giving everything to win the game.  Now I assume you are a pats fan because you are on this board.  Maybe not.  Are you?  If so, then how you do justify Belichick sitting his starters in the pats last game in 05 when their playoff destiny was already set? 

Re-read my first post.  I said I didn't have a problem with the personnel. 

Obviously, among the complaints from Cleveland was the fact he didn't play the game out.  If he was trying to win he would have called the time out and made the kicker try the 41 yard FG.       

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

What you said, and I quote was "it wasn't just the personnel, which means that in your mind the personnel was a part of it. 

As for playing the game out, every coach is allowed to make decisions about how to play a game out, when to throw a challenge flag, when to pull a starter. 

the fact is that Cleveland couldn't take care of their own business and had to rely on someone else who had no interest but their own in mind.  Cleveland skrewed themselves.  The colts had nothing to do with. 

The logic of my explanation (which came from Fisher) is solid. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]What you said, and I quote was "it wasn't just the personnel, which means that in your mind the personnel was a part of it.  As for playing the game out, every coach is allowed to make decisions about how to play a game out, when to throw a challenge flag, when to pull a starter.  the fact is that Cleveland couldn't take care of their own business and had to rely on someone else who had no interest but their own in mind.  Cleveland skrewed themselves.  The colts had nothing to do with.  The logic of my explanation (which came from Fisher) is solid. 

Cleveland's lack of being able to do it themselves is a red herring.

The issue is whether or not the Colts and Titans colluded to end the game.

I am not saying that the Colts had to call the timeout. I am not saying the Titans had to run a play. 

I am saying that the Titans had a play called expecting the Colts to call a timeout, but then changed that to a kneel down. I am saying that Collins said on his radio show that the two coaches had "an agreement" to end the game.

If that is actually true, then no matter what else happens in the game does not matter. It is collusion. It is against the rules of the NFL. 

I wonder why the Browns never filed a grievance or, if they did, why the results were publicized. Actually, that isn't true. I know the reason. To protect the league.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]     Coming off what just happened to his team in Foxboro, I don't believe that Titans' owner Bud Addams, nor the Tennessee fans, will see much humour in Fisher saying that he wore the Peyton jersey because "he wanted to feel like a winner".  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

HE used a Peyton Manning Jersey to feel like a winner?  Better choices would have been Big Ben or Brady shirt as both these QB have multiple championships while Peyton has the lone ONE!!  HE could have also worn a hoody with torn sleeves!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

What Collins said was that there "APPARENTLY" was communication.  He didn't know anything.  He just didn't understand why the play was changed. 

What I really think is that this was just another way for the southies to stick it to belichick since crennel is one of his boys.  I also happen to think Tom Brady prefers Rosie O'Donnel to Gisele. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Collusion.....by the Colts...Saint Dungy of Indy....come now...such a fine upstanding organization would never do anything such as that....would they??? This can't be true.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]What Collins said was that there "APPARENTLY" was communication.  He didn't know anything.  He just didn't understand why the play was changed.  What I really think is that this was just another way for the southies to stick it to belichick since crennel is one of his boys.  I also happen to think Tom Brady prefers Rosie O'Donnel to Gisele. 

Yeah. That resolves everything. 

Fisher's explanation was pretty specious. He said he "knew" Dungy wouldn't use it then added it was because they were both on the competition committee for such a long time. I am sure that the subject of when wouldn't you use your full time outs came up often in these meetings.

The kicker - St. Dungy's comments about how it was a "feather in the cap" of the AFC South to have three teams  in the playoffs. Sounds like motive.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

[QUOTE]What you said, and I quote was "it wasn't just the personnel, which means that in your mind the personnel was a part of it.  As for playing the game out, every coach is allowed to make decisions about how to play a game out, when to throw a challenge flag, when to pull a starter.  the fact is that Cleveland couldn't take care of their own business and had to rely on someone else who had no interest but their own in mind.  Cleveland skrewed themselves.  The colts had nothing to do with.  The logic of my explanation (which came from Fisher) is solid. 

I had no problem with personnel. Can I be any clearer than that?  Are you seriously trying to convince me that I did when I'm telling you that I didn't?

How Cleveland performed in another game has nothing to do with the fact that Dungy went in the tank.

If Dungy was trying to win he would have used his timeouts instead of walking off the field trailing by one score.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from docmartin72. Show docmartin72's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeff Fisher Wearing a Peyton Manning Jersey : HE used a Peyton Manning Jersey to fell like a winner?  Better choices would have been Big Ben or Brady shirt as both these QB have multiple championships while Peyton has the lone ONE!!  HE could have also worn a hoody with torn sleeves!!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]
    and a haircut.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Geez, if Belichick wore an Orton jersey, I'd really be upset!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeff Fisher Wearing a Peyton Manning Jersey : Yeah. That resolves everything.  Fisher's explanation was pretty specious. He said he "knew" Dungy wouldn't use it then added it was because they were both on the competition committee for such a long time. I am sure that the subject of when wouldn't you use your full time outs came up often in these meetings. The kicker - St. Dungy's comments about how it was a "feather in the cap" of the AFC South to have three teams  in the playoffs. Sounds like motive.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]
    if you want me to accept as collusion the possibility that coaches sometimes converse amongst themselves about game strategy outside of the game itself, then I would have to put pro football in the same catagory as professional wrestling. 

collusion to me is specific to the issue questioned.  Knowing something about someone's general game strategy because it has been discussed in a general sense in the offseason, imo, does not rise to that. 

As for getting 3 teams from one division into the playoffs, I think it does say something positive about the division, but I don't think it says Dungy colluded with Fisher. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeff Fisher Wearing a Peyton Manning Jersey : I had no problem with personnel. Can I be any clearer than that?  Are you seriously trying to convince me that I did when I'm telling you that I didn't? How Cleveland performed in another game has nothing to do with the fact that Dungy went in the tank. If Dungy was trying to win he would have used his timeouts instead of walking off the field trailing by one score.
    Posted by bostatewarrior[/QUOTE]
    No that's fine now, but the wording of the post indicated that you did.  I simply responded to that.  When you said that you didn't have a problem with it, I showed you why I responded the way I did.

As for whether or not Dungy was trying to win, if Dungy (or any other coach for that matter) was trying to win, they would have played his starters.  It is really that simple.  So if not trying to win is your problem, then there are plenty of instances where other coaches (including belichick) sat their starers in meaningless games. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeff Fisher Wearing a Peyton Manning Jersey : Indy tried to not win the game. A bigot has integrity?  Not in this universe. BTW, shouldn't it be against the league rules to wear the jersey of ANOTHER team?  Just as it should be against the rules to PIPE IN SOUND (CROWD NOISE) DURING A GAME. And the Colts had the balls to complain about our DB's roughing up their pansy-a$$ receivers, the biggest of which, Dwight Clark, wasn't playing that day (he was on IR).  Integrity, indeed!.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]
    here we go again. 

Haven't I said umpteen times that CBS, A business partner of the New England Patriots, claimed responsibility for the crowd noise discrepancy over the television.  I am sure you can look it up. 

As for roughing up their receivers 1) the colts were not the only ones to complain 2) there was a rule on the books against it that was not appropriately being enforced.  What about that do you not understand?

Dwight Clark is a pansy.  LOL.  If the pats could get him, they'd do it in a heart beat.  Tom Brady would drive a uhaul to indy, help him pack, and drive him northeast to beantown if that was possible.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeff Fisher Wearing a Peyton Manning Jersey : CBS "claimed" responsibility to protect the Colts image.  I'm sure I can't look it up, because it never happened. Name other teams that "complained" about the Pats DB's, please.  I doubt there were any that were sore losers like the Colts.  Also, Clark wasn't the only pansy-a$$ on that team.  Pollard, the QB, James, the punter, etc.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/10454093

As for other teams that complained.  It was the Rams.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeff Fisher Wearing a Peyton Manning Jersey : There's only been one meaningless game since 2001 that Belichick has coached in, and the team that won the game (Miami in 2005) didn't sneak into the playoffs.  That blows that theory. Dungy quit because he was the real cheat here.

So you're saying that the responsibility of how the team with nothing on the line plays its game is dependent upon the circumstances of its opponent or another team? 

Does that mean that all of the pats opponents last year should have sat their starting QB against the pats since the pats were without Brady?  Is that what you meant?

Or does it matter only where the playoffs are concerned?  If so, does that mean that dolphins should have been forced to sit pennington in the final game just so it would have been more fair for the pats to have a chance at the playoffs?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I think what has been lost in all  of this "Yes you did!" -- "No I didn't!" with . . .   who else . . .  underdogg, is the larger issue inherent in Fisher's behavior. Is it appropriate to be making light of the fact that your team blows and you (the coach) find it amusing to make jokes about it rather than address whatever the issues may be?

Somebody, earlier in the thread, mentioned something to the effect that he will not be fired because he has banked a degree of loyalty because of the tremendous job he has done prior to this season. That may or may not be an accurate assessment, but I know that if somebody who worked for me was joking around about how badly he was f*cking up my investment -- he and I would be having a long, involved discussion about his priorities.

Sections
Shortcuts