Jeremy Ebert

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Jeremy Ebert

Can somebody explain to me why one of these guys was considered a big play WR out of College and the other is considered a slot receiver?

Brandon Lloyd- 6'0, 184
    40yard-4.68, Vertical- 36'
    Illinois
    2001- 60rec, 1006 yards, 16.8avg, 8TD
    2002- 65rec, 1010 yards, 15.5avg, 9TD

Jeremy Ebert- 6'0, 205
    40 yard-4.38, Vertical- 39'
    Northwestern
    2010- 62rec, 953 yards, 15.4 avg, 8TD
    2011- 75 rec, 1050 yards, 14.1 avg, 11TD

For reference here are Wes Welkers numbers
    5'9, 195
    40 yard- 4.61, vertical 30'
    2002- 86 rec, 1054 yards, 12.3, 7TD
    2003- 87rec, 1099 yards, 11.3 avg, 9TD

I mean I get why Wes was considered a slot guy, he's shorter, slower, can't jump as high and averages less yards per catch.

But the other two were both considered sort of mid round prospects, both came out of good football programs.  But Ebert is the same height as Lloyd, faster, jumps higher, gets in the endzone more and is for some reason just a slot guy?

Not just Lloyd, but there's a ton of 6'0 tall fast receivers but I don't get why Ebert gets compared to the smaller slot guys.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I also think some of it is the changing of the NFL - WR average height has gone way up in the ten years since Lloyd was drafted - 6 foot is now short!
    With Edelman - part of his 'problem' has been that WW has seldom left the field the last two years. When WW was hurt Edelman looked pretty good three years ago, but he hasn't seen enough reps in games since then to have any real rhythm. I do think he is a 'plus' punt returner as well. Two guys that we drafted that may get a chance to prove themselves at PR/KR are Ebert and Ebner but as far as I can see, neither got a chance to do it in college - Ebert might have been too valuable a starter to put back there, but Ebner with the open field nature of his rugby background would seem to have been a natural to get a shot in college. I do wonder what we will do for KR - has Edelman ever been given a shot? I don't remember seeing him on the KR.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: Jeremy Ebert:
    I also think some of it is the changing of the NFL - WR average height has gone way up in the ten years since Lloyd was drafted - 6 foot is now short! With Edelman - part of his 'problem' has been that WW has seldom left the field the last two years. When WW was hurt Edelman looked pretty good three years ago, but he hasn't seen enough reps in games since then to have any real rhythm. I do think he is a 'plus' punt returner as well. Two guys that we drafted that may get a chance to prove themselves at PR/KR are Ebert and Ebner but as far as I can see, neither got a chance to do it in college - Ebert might have been too valuable a starter to put back there, but Ebner with the open field nature of his rugby background would seem to have been a natural to get a shot in college. I do wonder what we will do for KR - has Edelman ever been given a shot? I don't remember seeing him on the KR.
    Posted by mia76

Spot on. Edelman looked good for a time, then didn't seem to either develop, or couldn't climb the depth chart. Ebert is an upgrade over Edelman day 1. Edelman's saving grace might be his DB play, but given our draft and FA, it would seem we have that covered now. Edelman could be trade bait. Of the 2, Edelman and Gonzalez, I think Gonzalez won't make it, and if we had to keep 1, Edelman gets my vote for his versatility. 
    Now, if by some reason we picked up Gaffney, that would be off the charts. This is a guy we should have done everything in our power to retain. He could make Branch expendable. We keep LLoyd, Welker, Gaffney, Edelman, Ebert, and one of Ocho or Stallworth. 

Sections
Shortcuts