Jermaine Cunningham

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Re: Jermaine Cunningham

Thought he did pretty well for a rook.  I think he missed most of the preseason with an injury.  He seemed to do well setting the edge in the running game.  He needs to learn more moves to improve his pass rush skills.  We'll see how he does next season after mini camps and a full preseason.  Hopefully without injury. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

He was what I expected.  Over all solid, some rookie inconsistency.  Lotta potential.  After 1 season, I am still happy with the pick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

I think he could be a solid contributer to the team not a huuge sack guy but a poor mans mginist a guy who is good all around and can apply some pressure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

As both a pats fan (long time) and florida fan (long time), I've had the opportunity to see jermaine since he came into gainesville then to new england. He plays better when he has a good defensive lineman in front of him. The injurieis and inconsistency to the line can and did affect his play, similarly to the injury to carlos dunlap in florida impacting his play while he was there. He gets used to the moves of certain players and their reads and then reacts to how they play defense and the defensive play calling (i.e. 1st down, this player on a run defense play may try to hold the line or use a swim move inside vs on a passing down use a bull rush where another player might use a different move). Those adjustments take time and it's worse for a rookie learning the defense and the players and the faster gamespeed of the nfl, plus the substitution packages, coupled with the personnel changes due to roster moves and injuries.
    He'll learn and be stronger next year. I feel at peak, he'll be a 65-70 tackle lb, 6.5-7.5 sacks and may have a surprise 9 or 10 sack career year one year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

He was ok, but clearly at his best earlier in the year...To me, he looks like he got slimmer.  he came in at 266, but looks more like 245-250....if he can get stronger without losing his quckness, he may be pretty good, but if you are looking for him to solve our pass rush woes, I think its gonna take more talent on this team.  If he isnt effective enough to draw doubles, then they need to find a guy on the other side, (better than Ninkovich, TBC)  Ninkovich is a hard worker but doesnt consistently get pressure, plus he is short and gets engulfed by bigger tackles..   best case scenario is to pair him a 1st round OLB that can pressure the Qb immediately, and allow J.C. to take advantage on the other side with single coverage....  An offseason in foxboro could do wonders for him also...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

Rightaway in 2011- The Patriots will need to confront one important factor as #1- predicting themselves as one of the 2011 Super Bowl participants, and nothing less.  And being reality, within those 6 picks, in the 1st 3 rounds, in the draft- they must get an OLB with their #1 pick, that has all the tools to come and  be a conrtributing starter, playing right up to the ability the Patriots recognized in him, at the collegiate level. And anything less, would be failure, that Cunningham was in the most recent draft. This also should be the case, with the #2 pick for a DE, with the same requirements, and goals for his expected 2011 Patriot performance.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I thought he did a great job considering injurys. I have big hopes for this guy. Get a bookend for him and another D lineman and we may have a pass rush. With a pass rush we wont have to expect our safetys and corners to cover their guy for 7 seconds. they'll look all pro.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

I thought he was a tough read in my opinion.  He never stood out to me in either a good or bad way.

I think he has some upside to him and I'm hopeful he makes that jump that you see rookies make going into their 2nd year.  Chung was a great example of this. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

More positives then negatives.  He got near the QB a lot but missed tackles or moved himself out of position.  Wore down as the season went on.  The arrow points up for him with a year under his belt and some more coaching. 
    20 plus rookie and 2nd year guys contibuted on this roster.  Lots to look forward to in 2011 and beyond.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think that's a hard position on this team, because BB asks his OLBs to do a lot. Vrabel and Pfeiffer seemed to have had success there, but players who aren't as smart and versatile struggle.  I thought Cunningham did pretty well there for a rookie.  I would have liked to have seen more aggression in his pass rush--but then I wonder if that's partly the scheme where OLBs are expected to read and react rather than just tee off on the QB.

I think he may be the solution for one of the two OLB positions.  We still need another guy, though, and I wouldn't mind if the other guy was more explosive and disruptive.  I'm hoping next year we'll see a rookie and Cunningham starting and Ninkovich and Banta-Cain will be back ups as they should be.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

You guys are hating in noncovich way too much. He played this year with guys like brandon deadrick getting manhandled in front of him. He plays HARRRRRRRD and had like 4 sacks this year which isnt bad and also plays the run well. I have no problem with him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I thought the pick was a bust all the way based off of what was out there on the internet on film of him. He played better than I thought he would and was well coached. In college he would just go wide and take himself out of the play, but he did well here and even would not get fooled on screens. A good servicable guy, but doesn't look special and we desperately need that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I hope the best for him, but Dunlap was my favorite prospect. Cunningham will either be a nice versatile olb, or he'll be only average at everything. Let's hope that playing behind Ty Warren and an improved Ron Brace or 1st rounder, and improving in the offseason lead to a stand-out performance. More talent from the other olb spot wouldn't hurt either. Aldon Smith or Akeem Ayers, a superfreak.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I hope the best for him, but Dunlap was my favorite prospect. Cunningham will either be a nice versatile olb, or he'll be only average at everything. Let's hope that playing behind Ty Warren and an improved Ron Brace or 1st rounder, and improving in the offseason lead to a stand-out performance. More talent from the other olb spot wouldn't hurt either. Aldon Smith or Akeem Ayers, a superfreak.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

Cunningham will be a solid OLB for the Pats for years to come.  I doubt his sack numbers will ever jump off the page, but he plays very stout against the run and will develop into a better pass rusher.  I thought he played great considering this was his rookie year basically learning a new position.  Look for more confident play from him next year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

Needs to put some bulk on, hit the weights kid!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

The good thing is that I don't think anyone sees him as a total bust. I think OLB in Belichick's defense is the most complex position. He asks a lot, and sometimes he doesn't allow players to show off their true athleticism.
    I don't see Cunningham as being a guy who will ever slide here. I like to compare him to Chung right now as far as his development goes. Solid contributor with no high expectations coming into his second year. He soaked in everything that he was taught and puts it all out on the field in his 2nd year.
    Something tells me that him and Hernandez are the guys that we will see make a HUGE jump. Sad to say it, but realistically, McCourty can only go down. The good news for Gronkowski is that he'll always be able to throw great blocks against anybody. I certainly don't see his TD count going up, but probably yardage.
    But yeah....I bet Cunningham will be a 7-8 sack per year guy over his career. He has good explosiveness, and if he can work on his craft, he'll be great.
    If they can score a Koa Misi type in this draft, lord have mercy on the league next year.....the Patriots will be able to defend the pass!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

Rookies very rarely make a huge impact on a team ...........I thought he had a solid rookie season..............lots of youth around Foxboro meaning will will be good for a long time..........14-3 is a great record most teams would die to have...........no we didn't win it all but you have to be realistic too........we were rebuilding this year with 14 wins.............Pats till I die............

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Didn't perform like Mayo did in his rookie year, but should get better

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Not much impact at an impact position, year 1.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Cunninghams year went about the same as the rest of front 7's did. He plays on the line and takes on LT's so it needs to be him. He is not playing behind anyone. He needs to become a guy that demands help to be blocked. We need a DL besides Wilfork that can win a double team battle or a least make two OL stay with him. We need Warren to come back full tilt. We need a cb or saefty that can get a sack. Wilfork bouncing around needs to be based on want not need. Will it be Jermaine? I don't know , could be. Maybe Spikes in year 2 could call his own blitzes like Seau did. I think Moore with more time in the system and work could be the one to stand out. Most teams that have pressure D's have more than one guy making plays behind the line.

I'm not even sure BB wants to play a pressure D system. What we have on D is Wilfork plugs the middle, Mayo makes tackles beyond the line,and McCourty on his way to being a shut down corner. None of those three scream pressure.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

He was a rookie who had injuries hamper his progress. We'll know how good he is by this time next year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from westga. Show westga's posts

He did well for a rookie. I don't expect greatness out of him though. Doubtful that he will become a pro bowl player, but good enough to have a long career as a complementary piece of the puzzle. A good comparison would be former Patriot, Don Blackmon.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Jermaine Cunningham:
    [QUOTE]He was a rookie who had injuries hamper his progress. We'll know how good he is by this time next year.
    Posted by Rerun85[/QUOTE]

Good point.  He missed a lot of training camp then a bunch of late season games.  We'll get a better look next year, I hope.  But overall I thought he looked like the most physically talented of our OLBs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

He's a good player who I'm guessing in his rookie year hit a wall finally. There should be more sacks out of him next season, if that's what you're all looking for. I do expect better results from this year.

Sections
Shortcuts