Jermaine Cunningham

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prob2236. Show prob2236's posts

Jermaine Cunningham

What kind of season can we expect out of this kid.  I have some high hopes that this kind can generate some pass rush for us.  He only played one preseason game and had a sack.  Anyone got a good feeling about this kid?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

Re: Jermaine Cunningham

Probably be really good for him to learn from Carter and Ellis...  I think Carter is going to be a beast this year and hopefully Cunningham pays attention.

I like his athletic ability... he should only get better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

In Response to Jermaine Cunningham:
    What kind of season can we expect out of this kid.  I have some high hopes that this kind can generate some pass rush for us.  He only played one preseason game and had a sack.  Anyone got a good feeling about this kid?
    Posted by prob2236

imo he isn't vey good, too easy to block and needs a move. i watched him at florida and thought the other guy, carlos dunlap was much better but the pats took cunningham. they obviously know a lot more than i do so i'm probably wrong on that. 

hopefully he turns out to be the guy, i didn't think ridley was worth the pick either and it looks like i was way off on that one..

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I saw flashes last year and in preseason this year.  I don't expect that he'll be a star based on what we've seen so far, but he is versatile and can play with his hand on the ground as a 4-3 DE and as a 3-4 OLB. To be honest though, I thought Eric Moore looked better at times in preseason after re-watching the games.  If Cunningham turns out to be a solid starter I wouldn't be surprised. 

Re: Dunlap, I don't know what Cincy expects out of its 4-3 DEs, and maybe BB thought that he wasn't an OLB conversion candidate.  He sure as hell wasn't a fit as a 3-4 DE.  But if BB had in mind that he was going to be more of a base 4-3 only one year later, Dunalp may have been a fit.    

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I wouldn't keep your hopes very high. I also thought Moore looked better, but Cunning can play the 3-4 role at OLB which is why he was kept. He seems adequate against the run but that's about it. I think BB can trust him to set the edge in the 3-4 against the run, but that's about it I think. He might get a few sacks but the sacks will be more a result of double on the inside line guys probably not much tribute to his skill. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

He was very raw coming out of college, trying to make a hard transition on the hardest team to do it for.

I don't think Ellis has many comparable, but Anderson and Carter are in the same mold as Cunningham, so hopefully we see some noticable improvement this year.

I think Belichick, with the array of Dlineman at his disposal, will pick and choose his spots for the kid to maximize his production. He was asked to do more than was realistic at times last year because of neccessity, not the case this year.

In a more limited role, I wouldn't be surprised to see 7/8 sacks out of him. I think he has very real physical ability, and it will start to show.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I thought he was not worthy of a second round pick based off what I saw him do at Florida. He looked like a one trick pony, that would just fly upfield and take himself out of the play. Last year he looked smarter than that and obviously had some good coaching. With a switch in defensive philosophy, I wonder what will become of him. He could be a guy that "gets it" and breaks out with the new found talent that we added in the off season, or he might get limited reps, continue to get dinged up and actually take a step back.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

He is going to be a solid, versatile contributor. He had some good games last year and  we can expect more of the same this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

dunlap was three years younger, won a national championship mvp as a 19 year old, and had far more upside than maxed out senior Cunningham. dunlap had more sacks than Suh in several less games. dunlap made perfect sense to draft, and will only get better, as he continues to fill out. 285 or so right now. Cunningham cant gain weight, and isnt a natural in coverage anyway. we will continue to regret that pick.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

What Burger King said...

Cunningham played as a rookie at a position very difficult to master, one that BB usually entrusts to vets. He wasn't drafted 4th overall, he doesn't have to be Willie McGinest, he doesn't have to be Dunlap for that matter.  

I don't know if he'll be a better sacker than Dunlap but he's the better Outside Linebacker, Dunlap is strictly a 4/3 end, Cunningham had one of the best shuttle times at his position at the combine, another trait BB values which made him a solid tackler in the open field.  

I hope he makes the jump this season but that's in his heart, how do you measure that?  

I know he started at OLB/End with the first team on opening day and in every preseason game he was healthy and he looked good, that's enough for me...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Don't we for the most part play the 43 now? If so, how does a guy that can't play linebacker in a 43 have more value than a guy that will get you sacks as a 43 end? I'm not saying Cunningham won't be successful, because I thought he showed pretty well as a rookie, but saying that he's better than a guy that got 9 sacks as a rookie (vs. 1 for him) is a stretch. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We'll play 3/4 on early downs against very good, well balanced offenses who can run, the Green Bay's and Steelers, teams BB will have to outsmart to win.  You need 4 linebackers on the field that play good in space, go in all 4 directions, Cunningham is that... 

We're a 3/4 defense that runs 2/4/5 as well as other hybrid nickels a lot.  In order to be that you have to stop the run, on early downs if you put 2 defensive tackles on the field against a powerful running team like the Jets you'll get blown off the ball, the only way you could do it and possibly thrive is if you had the two best D tackles in the league... wait a minute, we do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Pedestrian

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

At least Cunning has time now which is a nice asset for someone at his stage. He may yet develop into a solid OLB. If he can do his job on 1st down in the 3-4 against the run that's good enough this year. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: Jermaine Cunningham:
    At least Cunning has time now which is a nice asset for someone at his stage. He may yet develop into a solid OLB. If he can do his job on 1st down in the 3-4 against the run that's good enough this year. 
    Posted by Macrawn

Hey, he might even collect some sacks...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

dunlap was three years younger, won a national championship mvp as a 19 year old, and had far more upside than maxed out senior Cunningham. dunlap had more sacks than Suh in several less games. dunlap made perfect sense to draft, and will only get better, as he continues to fill out. 285 or so right now. Cunningham cant gain weight, and isnt a natural in coverage anyway. we will continue to regret that pick.
    Posted by arodrambone

yeah arod, 
    i have said i woulda taken dunlap.
    i think he took cunningham on the advice of his buddy at florida that cunningham was a more dedicated player, locker room guy and person. 
    i think dunlap was and is clearly the better football player.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Cunningham was a DE learning 3-4 OLB last year as a rookie. Not easy.  Dunlap blows.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

King I usually agree with you but breaking the Bengals all time rookie sack record with 8.5 sacks his rookie year is an indicator that Dunlap does not blow! The kid can play. I wish the Pats had taken him especially now that we are going to play more 4-3!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Im sorry, I know its early, but I wouldnt expect much from this guy. In fact I think his lack of improvement in the pass rush may be part of the reason for Carter and Anderson being added.  Jermaine was the last try at trying to get that Hybrid DE/OLB rusher and I believe Bill has labeled it a failure already. Call me crazy, but Jermaine is not the answer. Now I do still believe he is a good player who will rotate in, but I see him as a smart veratile player who looks disciplined and can certainly help,. but he is not the answer to our pass rush problems....He had a very average camp in term of pressure and I heard he has no pass rush moves, just goes upfield and gets pushed out the play.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

So far he has about the same chance of being a bust as being a keeper. BB swinging to more of a 4-3 and bringing in 3 vet DLs isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of his upside.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Why create another Cunningham thread?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

DPOY

24. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts