Jerod Mayo Returns

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Jerod Mayo Returns

This guy is a warrior and a true leader.  Hope he's ready after the BYE week.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7100943/new-england-patriots-jerod-mayo-surprises-return-practice

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

Re: Jerod Mayo Returns

In Response to Jerod Mayo Returns:
    [QUOTE]This guy is a warrior and a true leader.  Hope he's ready after the BYE week. http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7100943/new-england-patriots-jerod-mayo-surprises-return-practice
    Posted by DoNotSleepOnThePats[/QUOTE]

yeah, ok. Can he make some sort of impact then? Where was he the first two games? I like Mayo, don't get me wrong but don't build him up to be some huge impact player. Actually the defense played it's best game against the Jets...without Mayo, so what's that saying??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

In Response to Jerod Mayo Returns:
    [QUOTE]This guy is a warrior and a true leader.  Hope he's ready after the BYE week. http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7100943/new-england-patriots-jerod-mayo-surprises-return-practice
    Posted by DoNotSleepOnThePats[/QUOTE]

I also like the toughness that Mayo is showing. That's something that this defense has been lacking for a while now. He is definately a great leader. A real leader will lead by example, which is what he is doing. Hopefully it catches on with the rest of the defense. A lot of players these days will miss weeks for a hangnail. Props to Jerod Mayo!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OriginalPudge. Show OriginalPudge's posts

Hopefully its not like his last knee injury where they rushed him back and he was less affective.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

In Response to Re: Jerod Mayo Returns:
    [QUOTE]Hopefully its not like his last knee injury where they rushed him back and he was less affective.
    Posted by OriginalPudge[/QUOTE]
    Let's not discount this, he had *I believe* the same mid grade MCL sprain in 2009, and there was no doubt his range and speed were compromised for the rest of the season.  It's awesome he's healing quickly, but they really shouldn't rush things.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

It's hard to imagine him seeing any live action this week, with the bye coming up.

It just doesn't make any sense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

If he plays this week than Rodney must have slipped him some HGH...

we dont need our cap getting suspended.  If he played Sunday I think the league would have to investigate.  I know timetables can change, but I dont wanna see him out there hobbling w/ a Brace.  Much more important for him to right for the long haul.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Regardless, give him credit for working hard to get back.  When leaders like Welker and Mayo fight to come back early from injuries that's big for the team work ethic.  Hernandez also came back early.

Take note, Fat Albert.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Is Mayo a Hall of Fame player?  No.  Is he better than Guyton?  Yes!  Therefore I'm hoping he returns as soon as possible.  It's no question the D is better when he's out there, especially against the run. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Even though I'm not a doctor and I never examined Mayo's knee or even talked to Mayo I feel that he should stick to the arbitrary timeline put out by ESPN analysts before he returns.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

[QUOTE]Yes he had the same sprain in 2009 and who took his place without missing a beat? Gary Guyton, the same Gary Guyton who gets sh*t on by this fanbase all the time. Smorgan - Mayo is one of the best linebackers in football. If you dont think he makes an impact then I dont know what guy you have been watching. He is a tackling machine. Or is tackling not enough for you? Are you one of those moron fans who thinks a guy is not good if he doesn't get sacks?
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

MVPkilla-I'll agree with you on Guyton. That's exactly my point when I said the defense played probably it's best game of the season against the Jets WITHOUT Mayo in the line-up. Again, If Guyton can come in and make a seamless transition in replacing Mayo, are you also saying that Guyton is one of the best LB's in football?? I doubt it. Like I said, Mayo is "good" in my eyes..as is Guyton. One of the BEST LB's in football?? I beg to differ. He makes alot of tackles because our defensive line is weak. It's a deceiving stat. Mayo is not what I would consider an IMPACT player on the level of a Ray Lewis or James Harrison ect. He doesn't play angry, is frequently injured and last I heard teams don't "fear" him. he's good..not great and definately not "one of the best in football"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Im praying they don't rush him back, we will need him later down the line and risking him to further injury would be a dumb move this early in the season.

Glad to hear he is making progress though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jerod Mayo Returns : MVPkilla-I'll agree with you on Guyton. That's exactly my point when I said the defense played probably it's best game of the season against the Jets WITHOUT Mayo in the line-up. Again, If Guyton can come in and make a seamless transition in replacing Mayo, are you also saying that Guyton is one of the best LB's in football?? I doubt it. Like I said, Mayo is "good" in my eyes..as is Guyton. One of the BEST LB's in football?? I beg to differ. He makes alot of tackles because our defensive line is weak. It's a deceiving stat. Mayo is not what I would consider an IMPACT player on the level of a Ray Lewis or James Harrison ect. He doesn't play angry, is frequently injured and last I heard teams don't "fear" him. he's good..not great and definately not "one of the best in football"
    Posted by smorgan86[/QUOTE]

I think your assessment of the DL is incorrect.. I believe it is by design they tie up blockers , so the ILB can make the tackles and /or sacks.  ie: Teddy Washington and T Bruschi. that being said I believe that was for the 3/4 D set.. also why we now have Haynesworth. With the 4/3 that may have changed. However evaluating the two, Mayo is Defensive football player( highest complement) .. Guyton is just an athletic freak who can play football

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Mayo was leading the team in tackles when he got hurt.  Hope they don't rush him back, but that's cause enough to need him back kinda fast.  Glad Hernandez is back early, but he was nowhere near 100% last week. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

If he's medically ready to play, he'll play; if he's not, he won't.  I agree the 2009 issue made him much less effective when he returned.  If everything I've read and heard about Mayo is correct then he will have learned from what happened in 2009.  All of that being said, I agree that him getting back on the field this was an excellent example to set.

Sections
Shortcuts